caliboy93
Topic Author

Advice you would give to your younger self

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:49 pm

If you could go back and revisit your younger self, what would you tell that person? Let's say around 12-15 years old - old enough to start thinking about the future, young enough to be very impressionable

mbmbos

Re: Advice you would give to your younger self

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Stick to your guns. Your perceptions are dead on. Trust yourself, be your own guide.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

casinterest

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:56 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
If you could go back and revisit your younger self, what would you tell that person? Let's say around 12-15 years old - old enough to start thinking about the future, young enough to be very impressionable

Buy Microsoft, Netscape, Apple, Google, Netflix, Amazon stock with all your money you can scrape up, and just borrow for awhile to get by.

truthfully though,

The future is a journey and not a destination. Your journey is not set in stone, and only you choose the direction. Make good choices and be true to yourself. Working hard and studying hard will make some of those choices easier. Avoiding drugs and alcohol will do the same, but don't forget to have fun. Friends will come and go, and so will partners. Mistakes are things to learn from. Failure is only temporary, keep going.
Last edited by casinterest on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Aesma

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:08 pm

Go for one girl I missed, avoid another like the plague.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

trpmb6

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 pm

I wouldn't do anything. I love the life I have. Any possible influence I would have would drastically alter that. And I wouldn't be the person I am now. Or have the family I have now.

Edit to add: This is why I think, even if we have invented time travel, we will never see or know of it up until the point in time it is invented. Without a doubt, influencing prior events, no matter how inhumane or grievous, would change the world in unknown ways. Best to not meddle in the past.

(For instance, perhaps WWII was completely necessary, for if it hadn't happened we would all be dust right now)

Flighty

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:22 pm

mbmbos wrote:
Stick to your guns. Your perceptions are dead on. Trust yourself, be your own guide.

This, 100% this. Spent years basically fighting the battles I can never win, and ignoring the ones I was born to win. You're supposed to "grow and change." learn beyond your instincts. But instinct, nonverbal communication, and thinking are very important, always with you. When I was unsure of myself, those were the moments when gut instinct was providing the most value. What a gift, when information comes to you.

And lift weights.
Last edited by Flighty on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NIKV69

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:43 pm

casinterest wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:

Buy Microsoft, Netscape, Apple, Google, Netflix, Amazon stock with all your money you can scrape up, and just borrow for awhile to get by.

I was thinking the same thing!
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

VTKillarney

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:48 pm

And the winning number for Powerball is.....

joffie

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Distance yourself from toxic people. They will only bring you down with their negativity.

EstherLouise

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Plan for your retirement, you dumb bunny.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

Berevoff

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 pm

Go ahead and kill yourself because things really won't be getting better.

DocLightning

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:31 am

"Come out of the closet the instant you get to college."
I'd give my younger self tools to deal with my abusive, narcissistic mother.
"Minor in Spanish and try to work as a Hospital translator to bolster your medical school chances."

Overall, I've done well in life and I have only a few regrets.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ltbewr

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:04 am

Drink less as screw more.
That is when I was 18-25 years old, not as a teen.
Last edited by ltbewr on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

fr8mech

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:24 am

Ignore Mom and Dad, and take on some debt for higher education.

I eventually earned my graduate degree, but I really think my career path would have been a little different.

But, like Doc, overall, I'm doing pretty good and have few regrets about past decisions.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:25 am

mbmbos wrote:

At 12-15 years of age, a posited by the OP, this is the worst imaginable piece of advice. I got thru those years mostly by being forced to do things I would not have done, if left to my “perceptions”. And, I am grateful to the mentors, including a very unyielding father, who put me straight thus teaching me how to think and trust myself for following 50 years.

GF

Cadet985

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 am

Work harder in school. Make friends. Pick a college major that isn’t a waste.

And for the love of G-d, when Google goes public, don’t listen to your parents. BUY BUY BUY!!!

Marc

DL717

Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:53 am

Just stick with the gal you met in college (who you broke up with when you started your career then married a psycho from Colorado for 18 months that your entire family warned you about). You were going to get married to the gal from college 7 years later after you ran into eachother at an airport only to find you were living in the same city.

Oh, and don’t play football from the 6th grade through High School. Your body will thank you in later.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 am

i would tell myself, agree to take flying lessons, when your boss who owed a small airlines offers to teach you how to fly. To this day, i have no idea why i said no. I wanted to take lessons, they wanted to teach me, but i figured i better go to college in the fall as planned. So i quit the job went to college got a degree in Accounting that i only used for 6 months. Hired on with the airline as flight attendant. not sure, why i didn't think i could have a career as a pilot. Years later, the guy who worked with me fueling planes, while i worked as the assistant to the owner of the company. I ran into, he was a pilot for America West. He told me how the owner had offered to teach him how to fly as well, the difference is he accepted the offer. he got his pilot license, and over time became a captain.

seb146

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:23 am

Buy those boots. The two pair you have clung to for 25 years prove you can take care of that one you should have gotten and are no longer made and everyone thinks you are crazy for thinking they existed.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Boeing74741R

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:33 pm

There isn't much I'd change personally, but now I'm in my late-20's the one piece of advice I'd give to my younger self from 10 years ago (and to anybody in their late-teens by extension given that it's a good life lesson) is this...

Don't go out of your way to maintain friendships and connections with people who don't freely reciprocate back and particularly if it's a one-way affair. There are three types of friends: friends for a season, friends for a reason and friends for life. Accept that some people who you class as friends now are inevitably going to lose touch with you once you leave college/university etc. so don't get hung up over hearing from them less and less and instead appreciate the moment if paths cross again in the future, wise up to those who are after something and appreciate those who have been with you for a long time and keep it that way.

Oh and don't rush out to buy that new car not long after leaving university. It was a good idea at the time and I won't be the first or last person to have done that, but buy a used car and use the savings on monthly payments and insurance to put towards a bigger deposit down on a house that you'll buy a few years later. Or maybe take that round-the-world trip anyway that fell through after the wedding you were going to be invited to was called off.

mbmbos

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:14 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
mbmbos wrote:

At 12-15 years of age, a posited by the OP, this is the worst imaginable piece of advice. I got thru those years mostly by being forced to do things I would not have done, if left to my “perceptions”. And, I am grateful to the mentors, including a very unyielding father, who put me straight thus teaching me how to think and trust myself for following 50 years.

GF

The OP asked, "If you could go back and revisit your younger self..."

This may have been the worst imaginable piece of advice for you, but not me.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

trav777

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:21 am

caliboy93 wrote:

Drop out of highshool, get a job, save every dime, get emancipated, and invest in MSFT and QCOM lol

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 am

No 12-15 year old knows what’s best for him or herself. Yes, in your 20a and 30s you can trust your instincts better, maybe. Pilot training taught me our perceptions in unusual situations can kill you or be a benefit. Which one is based on your training. I benefited from a great father and mentors in aviation and, for a time, the fire service.

KFLLCFII

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 pm

Don't date, don't co-habitate, don't get married, don't have children.

Just enjoy the serenity, freedom, sanity, and wealth.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

TWA772LR

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:08 am

Join the reserves and have them pay for college and stay in upon graduation and commission.

Not listen to my mother and go to a college with an aviation program.

Dont live with people you consider your "best friends" after only knowing them for 3 months.

Dont be a stiff in high school and put yourself out more.

Drink and screw more in college and learn how to relax.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Ken777

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:59 am

There is, of course, a list of things I would tell myself not to do. Girls I would avoid would be at the top of the list - with only one that left a long term impressions on me. There have been some courses I loved in school and a few I didn't care for. I'd tell myself to study History - when I went overseas in the Navy I found myself wanting to know more about the places I was visiting. That was during Western Pacific Deployments and included Hong Kong and Australia. In later life it has been the UK and Europe. The volumes of European History is far too massive for my wee brain, but it is so damn interesting!

I'd tell myself to learn how to type as soon as possible in High School. I needed that skill when I went into a clerical position in the Navy and it would have been a major help when going into computers.

I also would have told myself to take courses in Family Finances and how to budget aggressively.

I would also make sure that I told my self about this amazing young lady in Perth! That was 50 years ago and she still just as amazing!

Redd

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Change nothing until 2009, then put $5000 into bitcoin & sell in 2018. Buy a few islands and a Gulfstream VI :D

Kno

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:54 pm

Redd wrote:
Change nothing until 2009, then put $5000 into bitcoin & sell in 2018. Buy a few islands and a Gulfstream VI :D

Same.

I would also have better appreciated and better treated the women who loved me

Channex757

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:39 pm

Own your mistakes.

It's a long story (obviously) but that sums up the advice I'd give my younger self. Don't be evasive and don't look for excuses; tackle your issues head-on.

Flighty

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:38 am

mbmbos wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
mbmbos wrote:

GF

Yeah, 12-15 should not stick to your guns, but past 15, if you are smart and discreet, there is no reason adults should treat you like a child any longer. But you don't know how to fight back. I took a lot of disrespect from people who had no right to disrespect me. And I spent ages 15-30 in a huge rat race that is for suckers. I truly believe that even as a high school or college dropout, I would make the same amount of money today, or potentially more. An interesting fact is there are guys who own garbage collection firms who make more money than a Goldman Sachs banker. My car mechanic, an intelligent and worldly guy, I suspect is worth a few million. He owns a lot of property and a nice plane. Heck, my carpenter is a rich landlord. He owns 30 units or so. I met a tow truck company owner in California, he repos 3,000 cars a month I think, 100 per day. Seemed like he nets around a million a month. Home care business in my hometown, 300 employees, same story.

Why was I burning the midnight oil at finest universities / big corporations lol... it was all a marketing program to suck out my brain cells and take advantage of my time. IMO. I was going to do well regardless. If you are somebody with good instincts, you should listen to that absolutely and disregard worse ideas that come from fools. Even fools in high places. I can't speak for mmbos, but those are my thoughts.

mbmbos

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Flighty wrote:
Yeah, 12-15 should not stick to your guns...I can't speak for mmbos, but those are my thoughts.

Which was precisely my point. Please speak for yourself, not for me, not for anyone else.
- R.M. Rilke

dfwjim1

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Fight back verbally and physically when necessary.

af773atmsp

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:21 pm

-Forget about girls. Focus on you.

-Some people will come into your life and may seem like friends, but they're really just acquaintances. Eventually they'll move on, and you'll have to let go.

-You were destined to be in transportation planning. Focus on that.

-Humans are imperfect and can sometimes be terrible, but imperfection is okay. Nothing and no one is perfect.

-Save. Your. Money.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

1989worstyear

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:57 pm

Flighty wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Yeah, 12-15 should not stick to your guns, but past 15, if you are smart and discreet, there is no reason adults should treat you like a child any longer. But you don't know how to fight back. I took a lot of disrespect from people who had no right to disrespect me. And I spent ages 15-30 in a huge rat race that is for suckers. I truly believe that even as a high school or college dropout, I would make the same amount of money today, or potentially more. An interesting fact is there are guys who own garbage collection firms who make more money than a Goldman Sachs banker. My car mechanic, an intelligent and worldly guy, I suspect is worth a few million. He owns a lot of property and a nice plane. Heck, my carpenter is a rich landlord. He owns 30 units or so. I met a tow truck company owner in California, he repos 3,000 cars a month I think, 100 per day. Seemed like he nets around a million a month. Home care business in my hometown, 300 employees, same story.

Why was I burning the midnight oil at finest universities / big corporations lol... it was all a marketing program to suck out my brain cells and take advantage of my time. IMO. I was going to do well regardless. If you are somebody with good instincts, you should listen to that absolutely and disregard worse ideas that come from fools. Even fools in high places. I can't speak for mmbos, but those are my thoughts.

16 year olds are adults, 15 year olds are still small children.

I've always wondered why we stick the two ages in the same classrooms when they're not compatible :confused:
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

WarRI1

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:09 am

I would advise myself to count my blessings earlier than I did.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DL717

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:06 pm

Flighty wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

No one is an adult until they are about 25 and their ability to reason is fully developed. No one should be smoking, drinking, joining the military or voting until then. Probably shouldn’t be driving or having a social media account either.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

TS-IOR

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:32 am

have a goal and rely on your hard work only to get there.. do not get any promess for granted

1989worstyear

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:09 am

Berevoff wrote:
Go ahead and kill yourself because things really won't be getting better.

Same here. Then again I would have been a "grown man" when these thoughts peaked (17).
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...