bananaboy

Re: Cruise Ship Thread 2019

Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:09 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
bananaboy wrote:
Did you do the go karts?

Mark

I did, but not worth it either. It set me back $15 for 7 laps where it's impossible to overtake any racers and all karts have a maximum speed. No bumping is allowed (so attempting to overtake anyone is almost breaking rules).

The laser tag was more worth it, though I wish it had been longer (10 minutes).

Both are activities to try once and no more.

I didn't get to try laser tag but thought the opposite about the go karts - I loved them. Managed to overtake and be overtaken too - the course is wider than on the other ships. I thought they felt pretty fast. I understand they go up to 40mph but without a speedo, it's hard to tell.

As you say though, they're fun to do and YMMV as to whether they'll keep you coming back for more.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

OA260

Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:21 pm

Four people I spoke to were unimpressed with Encore and said a lot of the interior was drab. They have over 50 NCL cruises under their belt also so have a huge idea about the fleet . Shame really .

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:39 pm

A couple of years ago, I read somewhere about a cruise line having workshops available on how to make or mix your own wine to bottle and take home. I can't remember which cruise line or ship it was though. Do any of you remember this? Which cruise line/ship was this offered on?

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:24 pm

SmithAir747 wrote:
A couple of years ago, I read somewhere about a cruise line having workshops available on how to make or mix your own wine to bottle and take home. I can't remember which cruise line or ship it was though. Do any of you remember this? Which cruise line/ship was this offered on?

SmithAir747

I finally found it...Holland America Line (HAL) have a winemaking workshop available on two of their ships: Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam. It's called BLEND, which is offered by Washington state's oldest and most highly acclaimed winery, Chateau Ste. Michelle. BLEND gives guests the opportunity to blend their own wine (to enjoy later, either at dinner or in their staterooms). BLEND is the only wine blending venue at sea. I would love to try this.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/on ... blend.html

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

ArchGuy1

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:20 am

The Carnival Panorama has begun it's 38 day delivery trip from the Fincanteri Shipyard in Marghera, Italy to Long Beach, California, which is a long circumnavigation of South America. The Panorama has a couple new concepts for Carnival, including the Sky Zone indoor trampoline park and a culinary studio for passengers. There will also be Carnival favorites like a Sky Ride and Water Works. The ship is the last in Carnival's Vista Class ships that include the Carnival Vista and Carnival Horizon.
https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-panora ... h-america/

ArchGuy1

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:57 am

The Sky Princess debuted about a month ago in Athens and is sailing a short Mediterranean season before going to Fort Lauderdale in December to sail cruises to the Caribbean. Onboard entertainment includes a Rock Opera with multiple songs, a resident jazz trip in the jazz theater, and a digital experience escape room called the Phantom Room. There is also The Retreat for adults only with a large pool and a two level sun deck. The Sanctuary has seven cabanas and an oversized jacuzzi with lounge chairs a valuable to rent. Th he Pool Deck contains two large pools, plenty of lounge space, two large bars, and plenty of shade. Grand staircases pour from the sun deck above and there is a large LED movie screen that is the largest in the Princess Cruises fleet. The deck also features the Sky Walk, which is a glass walkway extending over the side of the ship. The Sky Princess is also the first ship in the Princess fleet to fully use the Ocean Medallion, which includes sensors and digital displays as part of the system. It also makes life aboard the cruise so much easier. The Sky Suites are the first for the cruise line and are 1,000 square feet and contain 270 degree wraparound balconies. The suites can accommodate 5 people and have two bedrooms and two bathrooms, therefore making the living space feel tight.
https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4635/

ArchGuy1

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:31 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Norwegian Encore's maiden voyage was AMAZING! I highly recommend a transatlantic voyage (inaugural or not).

I hope to get a trip report set up soon.

That being said, consensus among the veteran NCL cruisers is that Encore was a disappointment compared to other Breakaway Plus ships. One of the biggest gripes is the elimination of Spice H2O (adults only area on open deck) and replacing it with Laser Tag, GoKarts, and Vibe (which was closed for most of the voyage and requires a pass or daily admission).

Encore seems suited for cold weather sailings (Alaska, Baltics) since there are few amenities on the open decks. Most of her features are indoors.

Our thoughts are that the Galaxy Pavilion (the VR room) will be axed in favor of a nightclub or for indoor laser tag while repurposing the current laser tag arena for a smaller Spice H2O. It was not fully functional and admission for the rides was expensive ($40 pass for 10 rides).

Another place Norwegian Encore would be suited for sailing is New England and Eastern Canada out of New York City.

ArchGuy1

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:53 am

The keel for Holland America's new Ryndam has been laid down last week at Fincantieri's Marghera Shipyard. A 505 ton block, which will be one of 85 blocks making up the new ship and delivery is scheduled in May 2021. The ship is the third in the Pinnacle Class for Holland America and the ship's design is being led by leading hospitality designer Adam T. Tihany and designer/architect Bjorn Storbraaten. It is the 17th ship that Fincantieri has built for Holland America. Looks like it will have a beautiful interior even if the external design is rather hideous.
https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/news/st ... 8aee1.html

ArchGuy1

MSC Cruises Ocean Cay Opens

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:05 am

Ocean Cay, the new private island destination in the Bahamas owned by MSC Cruises opened to guests yesterday and is built on ecological principles. These principles shape how the island is run, how venues are built, and the type of activities avaliable. Ocean Cat is both a vacation island and a marine preserve where people and nature thrive in harmony. This comes as MSC Cruises builds up it's North American operations, with four ships based in Miami this winter. The island was turned from an industrial and excabation site to a tropical destination while working with experts to revitalize surrounding ocean beds, marine life,and endangered coral. The project took 3 years to complete with 7,500 tons of scrap metal removed, along with hard coral colonies with debries removed and relocated to an approved construction site. More than 75,000 plants and shrubs were planted on the island to create a biodiverse and sustainable environment. MSC will also introduce a conservation research center on the island in a few months.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... n-cay.html