seat64k
Topic Author

The shaving thread (all parts)

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:25 am

I'm not real interested in the other thread that has to do with shaving kit (lets keep that topic out of here, OK?), but I am interested in people's take on shaving kit, accessories, methods, preferences, etc.

What equipment and accessories do you use? How did you first discover it? Why do you prefer it?
Technique: Against the grain, with it, or perpendicular to it? How do you avoid nicking yourself? How do you deal with uneven skin, moles etc?
Head? Face? Arm pits? Other areas? Why? Why not?
Have you tried any of the internet based options (Harry's, Dollar Shave Club, etc)? What's it like?

Let's keep this light and friendly.

seat64k
Topic Author

Re: The shaving thread (all parts)

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:26 am

I'll start: I used to use the standard off-the-shelf shavers (Gillette, BIC, Schick, etc) but my face is somewhat sensitive, and no matter what shave cream/gel I try, I always ended up feeling like I had a slight sun burn after shaving. For some time I had an electric shaver, which was even worse. I don't like growing my bread too long either. The hair is thick and dry, it curls way too much, and growth isn't very even. The blade cartridges also don't last longer than about one shave on my beard. So I just don't shave often, mostly trim (keep it around 1cm length) every couple of weeks, and clean shave when there's a special occasion.

A few months ago while traveling abroad, I was shopping with a friend, and while she was discussing options with the sales rep, I stumbled upon a men's grooming section. As I was regarding the items laid out in front of me, two things came to mind:

1) I had heard of beard oil some time before but had never seen it anywhere.
2) A year or so ago while traveling, I had a "Cut throat" at a barber shop, along with a nice haircut. Damn, it was good. I remembered they used a double edge safety razor and another implement that looked more like it was designed to slit throats (maybe that's where the name's from?).

Imagine my delight when I saw both beard oil and the more traditional shaving implements on sale. So I bought the double edge safety razor and I honestly can't imagine how I got this far into life without it. My face feels as smooth as a baby's bottom. No irritation at all. It's a bit harder to avoid nicking yourself, but that just takes practice and patience.

So now my kit is made up of:
The Bluebeards Revenge Cutlass Double-Edge Safety Razor
The Bluebeards Revenge Cut-Throat Straight Razor
The Bluebeards Revenge Double-Edge Razor Blades
JS Sloane Shave Cream
JS Sloane Beard Oil

I'll probably try other brands for the cream, oil, and blades once it runs out - whatever I can find locally. But the change to this kind of kit has transformed my grooming routine!

flipdewaf

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:33 am

After some time of trouble with not nice shaving using an electric razor, Gillette Mach 19 with flexible vibrations as well as the special brands of razors that you buy as a deal ( Harry’s etc) I have found what really works well for me. Gillette blue2 and dove soap. I shave against the grain and don’t have any moles to manoeuvre around.

For areas outside of face it’s veet all the way...

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:39 am

Right now I'm using a Gillette Mach 3 shaver because I can never get a close shave from an electric razor. No shaving cream, shave following the grain, and I don't shave anywhere else.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

TSS

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Bic disposable razors

Barbasol Regular scent (I liked the Lemon-Lime scent much better, but they quit making it years ago)

For everyday, I shave with the grain because it's quicker and easier, but if I'm going on a date or have a formal event to go to I make an extra pass against the grain afterwards so it's extra close.

I wear a trimmed beard in winter and a mustache, sometimes with a goatee, in summer.

Any hair not on my face is left "au naturel".

flipdewaf wrote:
For areas outside of face it’s veet all the way...

What is "veet"?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

bennett123

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:14 pm

I have always used Electric shavers.

I currently have a Philisave 40, 202 and a couple of PQ203’s.

They are cheap and work for years.

flipdewaf

The shaving thread (all parts)

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:27 pm

TSS wrote:

What is "veet"?
hair removal cream.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veet-Men-Hair- ... B00KX3PF22

Read the reviews you’ll understand.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

einsteinboricua

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:32 pm

I gave up shaving a long time ago. I just trim my beard and mustache.

When I used to shave, Gillette Mach 5 was my razor of choice.

Now that I trim, a Phillips trimmer is what I use on the face and, whenever I feel like I need to shed, Norelco Bodygroom for chest, shoulders, legs, armpits, and private areas.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

cpd

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:25 pm

I have a double edge razor, Japanese feather blades.

You can use just Nivea shaving cream from the can, it works okay.

TTailedTiger

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:58 pm

I can get Harry's razors at Target and those work well. I replace the blade every five days. I use the Nivea sensitive shaving gel. Having to shave my face is enough of a pain. I'm certainly not going to shave anything else unless I ever get it on my back or shoulders.

coolian2

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:26 pm

I usually have a beard, trimmed right back to stubble in summer and about 5mm in winter. I'm getting a Gilette to help keep it tidier given I'm back in an office environment. Nivea gel or form if I need in, just share that with the missus.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

TWA772LR

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:36 pm

I use the Phillips Norelco One Blade. I was let down when I first bought it because it wasnt a clean shave and I had to relearn how to shave with it. But it's very rare that I clean shave and I use it to trim and touch up my beard which I keep no longer than a 5 (not really sure how long that is, thats just the size of guide I use for the One Blade). I also use it to eliminate the hairs off my neck below my beard and go over with a Gillete Mach 5 to get it baby smooth.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

747srule

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:44 pm

Soak your disposable razor in baby oil between uses. You will get an INCREDIBLE shave. The blades last a lot longer, and you won't get cuts.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

trpmb6

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:07 pm

I usually keep a five o'clock shadow, trimming it to keep it at that. When I go on a date or a formal gathering I will use a straight razor. Only way to go.

TSS

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:41 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
TSS wrote:

What is "veet"?

hair removal cream.

I thought that name rang a bell.

flipdewaf wrote:

I did. The reviews seem to reflect my friend's experiments with various hair removal creams: Some people can use them with no problem at at all, others have a nasty and painful reaction right away.

TTailedTiger wrote:
Having to shave my face is enough of a pain. I'm certainly not going to shave anything else unless I ever get it on my back or shoulders.

Even that may not be necessary. I had a roommate with a very hairy chest who also had a hairy back and shoulders, and he'd get me to shave them for him any time he had a big date. It was so funny the way he brought up the subject the first time, saying in such a super-serious tone "Ummm… I need to ask you a really huge favor... it's totally okay if you say 'No'... it's kind of personal…" that I genuinely thought he was gonna ask me for a kidney or something. Once he finally got around to what he was actually talking about, he was both dumbfounded and delighted when I said "Sure. No problem. Just let me know when you're ready" (for those of you squealing with disgust or visibly squirming as you read this, get a grip: A. It was just hair, and B. He was my roommate, so I knew for a fact that he showered at least once a day). After a while, I casually pointed out that anyone who saw how hairy his chest, arms, and legs were and still found him attractive would probably be expecting him to have a hairy back as well, and would be okay with it if not actually looking forward to it. Turns out I was right about that, and he stopped shaving his back entirely.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

TTailedTiger

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 pm

TSS wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
TSS wrote:

What is "veet"?

hair removal cream.

I thought that name rang a bell.

flipdewaf wrote:

I did. The reviews seem to reflect my friend's experiments with various hair removal creams: Some people can use them with no problem at at all, others have a nasty and painful reaction right away.

TTailedTiger wrote:
Having to shave my face is enough of a pain. I'm certainly not going to shave anything else unless I ever get it on my back or shoulders.

Even that may not be necessary. I had a roommate with a very hairy chest who also had a hairy back and shoulders, and he'd get me to shave them for him any time he had a big date. It was so funny the way he brought up the subject the first time, saying in such a super-serious tone "Ummm… I need to ask you a really huge favor... it's totally okay if you say 'No'... it's kind of personal…" that I genuinely thought he was gonna ask me for a kidney or something. Once he finally got around to what he was actually talking about, he was both dumbfounded and delighted when I said "Sure. No problem. Just let me know when you're ready" (for those of you squealing with disgust or visibly squirming as you read this, get a grip: A. It was just hair, and B. He was my roommate, so I knew for a fact that he showered at least once a day). After a while, I casually pointed out that anyone who saw how hairy his chest, arms, and legs were and still found him attractive would probably be expecting him to have a hairy back as well, and would be okay with it if not actually looking forward to it. Turns out I was right about that, and he stopped shaving his back entirely.

I've never had any girls complain about the chest hair. Not sure how they would feel about back hair. But I would still get rid of it.

einsteinboricua

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:52 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
I've never had any girls complain about the chest hair. Not sure how they would feel about back hair. But I would still get rid of it.

It's always a mixed bag, even with gays.

Back home, the trend is that hairless = sexy; hairy = disgusting. The mentality of the Baby Boomers and GenXers is that hair is attractive whereas the Millennials shun it completely.

With gays, I've found that it depends on who you're talking to. I used to be ashamed of my body hair, but I've become more comfortable in showing it off when other guys find it attractive.

TTailedTiger

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:23 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Back home, the trend is that hairless = sexy; hairy = disgusting. The mentality of the Baby Boomers and GenXers is that hair is attractive whereas the Millennials shun it completely.

With gays, I've found that it depends on who you're talking to. I used to be ashamed of my body hair, but I've become more comfortable in showing it off when other guys find it attractive.

I'm a millennial too. I'm in central Florida. If a girl ever complained about me having hair on my chest I'd drop her off at the nearest toy store so she could find herself a boy.

RyanairGuru

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:28 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I'm a millennial too. I'm in central Florida. If a girl ever complained about me having hair on my chest I'd drop her off at the nearest toy store so she could find herself a boy.

+1

I'm a very hairy millennial. I used to be embarrassed by the hair on my chest, but got over it and am not self-conscious about it any more. I did try shaving it a few times and every time got a breakout of acne on my chest (which of course looked even worse) and terrible pain from re-growth. That convinced me to just deal with it and accept that it is part of who I am. If anyone else has an issue with my body then they are not worth my time.

Since I'm not prepared to shave I do apply the same standard to partners. It's up to the girl where she wants to shave and I couldn't care either way. I got really annoyed at a friend who asked my (female) housemate how she would recommend approaching the conversation of telling his girlfriend to trim her pubic hair. It's her body, let her do as she likes.

With regards to facial hair I use a shaving cream from the Body Shop. Pretty much every off-the-shelf shaving cream you could buy in a supermarket left my skin feeling like sandpaper. I'm not sure what it was that dried it out, but it was an issue with every brand I tried. One Christmas a friend gave me a Body Shop gift set, the sort of thing shops flog around the holiday season with five things in a wicker basket that you buy for someone you are obligated to give a present to but don't care enough about to put any thought in. It gathered dust at the back of the bathroom cupboard for six months, and then one day I ran out of shaving cream and in desperation opened the one in the gift set. What a revelation! It doesn't dry my skin like every other brand I'd ever tried and have been buying it ever since.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Dieuwer

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:43 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Right now I'm using a Gillette Mach 3 shaver because I can never get a close shave from an electric razor. No shaving cream, shave following the grain, and I don't shave anywhere else.

Same here. I'm not sure what "following the grain" means, but I shave from the cheeks towards the chin, and from the chin down to the Adams Apple.
And I don't have a "kit". Just a razor sitting at the sink tray and a bottle of shaving foam next to it.

Edit to add: And I use little cubes of potassium alum - KAl(SO4)2 - to treat small cuts.

seb146

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:03 am

I have had a mustache for years. I had heard the dog would get upset if I shave it off. Now it is winter so my face would get too cold. I am full goatee. I shave against the grain. Gillette Mach 3 with Schick gel. I use simply soap and water between the waist and neck with a disposable Bic 4 blade. I shave the torso because it comes in uneven and looks wrong. The brosband decided to let his chest come in and it looks great..

I have tried Veet and Nair before but they didn't seem to work well. I know this sounds silly but are there men's versions?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Airstud

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:06 am

Kit schmit.

I use Aveeno® colloidal oatmeal shave gel (mmmmmmmm oatmeal), Schick® Quattro - which works really well if you've skipped a day or two, I remember being a little frustrated with it on one of those rare occasions when I shave for a 2nd consecutive day - and Neutrogena® Men Triple Protect post-shave face lotion.

I used to use Gilette® Sensor Excel and I still think it's the best razor out there (unless you've got 4 or more days' growth to tear through in which case Mach3 is the best weapon), however, I 've been boycotting Procter&Gamble for decades and for a number of years after they acquired Gilette I "grandfathered" the Gilette products, deeming them unnecessary to boycott. But I couldn't sell that to myself anymore and found that the Schick® Quattro is a serviceable substitute.
Pancakes are delicious.

Braybuddy

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:16 am

This thread is sexist and gender-specific! Half the population is being deliberately excluded in a pathetic attempt to marginalise and humiliate them.
Signed
Feminists

I use an electric razor for neck shaving, or disposable ones for a cleaner shave, shaving in all directions. Any soap and hot water is fine, as there's not much to shave. Must try that baby oil trick though!

KentB27

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:52 am

I use the cheapest razor from Dollar Shave Club. I've found that the more expensive options from DSC aren't actually any better. I have very coarse facial hair and the basic two blade DSC razor works fine. I usually use the Nivea shave cream for sensitive skin.

For my shaving routine/technique I usually do it right after I get out of the shower. I start going with the grain of my facial hair, then I shave a second time going against the grain. I have to take particular care when shaving the right side of my neck because my facial hair grows sideways down there towards the back of my neck and seems to be more susceptible to irritation and razor burn than the rest of my neck and face. About every other time I shave my face I usually do a quick shave between my eyebrows so that I don't start getting a unibrow. Lol. I also take particular care to make sure I get the hair at the base of my nostrils and around the corners of my lips. There's nothing more annoying than having a lone facial hair poking you in the corner of your lips! I only shave about 2-3x per week. My facial hair is far too coarse and my skin is way too sensitive to handle shaving my face every day.

About twice a month I also shave the back of my neck by using a handheld mirror that I carefully aim at my bathroom mirror. It's not as hard as it sounds once you do it a time or two.

DaveFly

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:54 pm

At my age, stubble/shadow doesn’t make me look sexy; it makes me look homeless.

I tried an electric years ago, but it didn’t cut close, and badly irritated my skin.

I now use a cheap Bic, cheap foam, shave both with and against the grain.

I do trim the — ahem — bush to keep everything neat and well-ventilated!

My adult son currently has a goatee, so I thought I’d join him. Looks okay, except for the gray!
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

OA412

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 pm

I sport a beard year round, so I just shave my neck area. I also shave my head. For both I use a Gillette Mach 3 (Norelco trimmer for my beard), which I’ve found to be an excellent razor that rarely causes cuts. If I do cut myself, I have an alum block to help stop the bleeding. I tried an electric shaver many moons ago and hated it. It hurt and left my skin flaky and red.

Back when I was shaving my face almost every day, I really liked Jack Black’s supreme cream. I’ve recently started using Trader Joe’s honey mango shave cream and I’m pretty happy with it. It doesn’t dry out my skin, and it costs much less than a department store shave cream ($3.99).
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

MrHMSH

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:41 pm

I just use Gilette blades and normal shaving cream from supermarkets. However recently I've been growing my beard out, so now I just shave my neckline. It gets a lot of positive comments from people I work and socialise with, although my parents aren't quite as positive!

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 pm

I use an electric shaver: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Pt860- ... B005DD4JPG
I've had it for two years maybe and I am pleased with it so far. I use it for facial region. I don't shave had since I have a really
nice hair and my neck hair is trimmed while I have my hair cut.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Kestrel333

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Merker 34c razor usually with a Feather blade and a boar hair brush.

Poraso original pre-shave cream. Shave cream usually comes from the Sterling line but I like Taylor’s of Old Bond Street Sandlewood.

Post shave: alum bar and some Nivea post shave cream.

Shave once with the grain, once across the grain and then look for bits I’ve missed. I never go against the grain - my skin just hates it.

Went on to double edged blades a few years ago and never looked back. Shaving is kinda enjoyable now - plus I’ve saved a bunch of money, helped the environment and get a much better shave.

ACDC8

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Love trying new products.

Merkur 34c, usually Merkur, Astra or Derby blades, boar hair brush, Proraso pre-shave, green line shaving soap and after shave lotion is my go to set up.

While travelling, I usually carry a Bic Flex 5 and travel size Art of Shaving lemon scented pre-shave, cream and after shave.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Cadet985

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:47 pm

I use an electric shaver a couple times a week; will shave more frequently when I find a job. Once a month or so when I get a haircut, I’ll get a shave too.

I’m pretty hairy and have thought about shaving the body hair, but the discomfort after and while it grows back puts me off.

Marc

TTailedTiger

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:07 am

Cadet985 wrote:
I use an electric shaver a couple times a week; will shave more frequently when I find a job. Once a month or so when I get a haircut, I’ll get a shave too.

I’m pretty hairy and have thought about shaving the body hair, but the discomfort after and while it grows back puts me off.

Marc

Yeah and ingrown hairs all over your chest just isn't a good look. I see a few guys like that at the gym. They don't realize that all of that sweat seeping into their open pores leads to bacteria and then leads to ingrown hairs and blemishes. Then add in the steroids they use for a case of bad acne on their back and shoulders.

Jouhou

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:25 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

It's a matter of taste, however as someone who doesn't like excessive hair if I like a guy enough I'd rather be didn't torment himself trying to fight nature just to look "good". Men aren't aesthetically all that beautiful no matter what they do, outside of temporary hook ups it *is* their personality that matters. And hygiene. Being clean and groomed is necessary, trying to tame every inch of body hair is not.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Being clean and groomed is necessary, trying to tame every inch of body hair is not.

And that makes all the difference.

Some guys are beasts but they appear cleaned and groomed so it makes them attractive. Likewise, some guys have a few tufts of hair and don't look groomed.

CLTRampRat

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:54 pm

I use Harrys on my face. Their razors are the best for the value in my opinion.
Everywhere else I buzz it with hair clippers with no guard.

I properly shaved the boys once.
Never again.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:59 am

I tried the Harry's shaver, but the rubberized blade holder wore out before the blades did. So I've left them.

The Harry's shave gel is very smooth. Love it. Just not the price.

When I was around 40, I was given a nose hair trimmer. It also trims ear hair.

I have a trimmer now that has an eyebrow trimmer attachment.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

cpd

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:57 am

TWA772LR wrote:
I use the Phillips Norelco One Blade. I was let down when I first bought it because it wasnt a clean shave and I had to relearn how to shave with it. But it's very rare that I clean shave and I use it to trim and touch up my beard which I keep no longer than a 5 (not really sure how long that is, thats just the size of guide I use for the One Blade). I also use it to eliminate the hairs off my neck below my beard and go over with a Gillete Mach 5 to get it baby smooth.

I would say buy one of those Wahl clippers:

http://wahlglobal.com/australia/wahl/wa ... taper.html

With the various attachments, they are pretty good for trimming a beard, far more efficient than those stupid rechargeable battery operated ones. Takes only a minute or two, really quick and because it is powered from the wall, you don't have to worry about batteries going flat.

As for razors, just a Merkur double edge safety razor and Feather blades (those excellent Japanese ones). Shaving cream, Nivea stuff from the can will work, or Truefitt and Hill also good. Proraso is also excellent value for money.

invertalon

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:50 pm

I’ve been using the Braun 760cc since 2011, replacing the cutter foil every year.

Before that, I had tried every technique and razor available, but my face (neck in particular) is just too sensitive and gets irritated and itchy/sore and it just sucks. Switching to the Braun was the best decision ever.

I shave weekly, give or take, works for me with minimal irritation. It gets pretty darn close/smooth, good enough for me. Especially to have so much less irritation…

For the rest of the body, I use a hair clipper by Abody. Works awesome to keep other areas under control as needed.