seahawk

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:51 am

A101 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

How untrue. What WA renegotiation?

I suggest you scrutinise it more closely, the underlying tone is of ineptitude of TM from the beginning and to agree to the backstop in its current form, she might as well given the EU the Crown Jewels.

In its current form if we except the WA what is the point of leaving the EU, if it was a choice of WA or EU I’d pick the EU. If it was a choice of WA or no deal exist I’d pick no deal

That happened because the PM is no Brexiteer. The UK should have told the EU_ "We want the hard Brexit and we are not sending you one additional pound, if you want to soften the impact on your falling economies, we are willing to accept your offers, but global Britain will be our first priority. We are strong and we do not need you."

marcelh

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:27 pm

A101 wrote:
https://briefingsforbrexit.com/may-renegotiating-the-withdrawal-agreement/

How true

She doesn’t need to because there will be no renegotiation of the WA

opticalilyushin

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:49 pm

seahawk wrote:
A101 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

I suggest you scrutinise it more closely, the underlying tone is of ineptitude of TM from the beginning and to agree to the backstop in its current form, she might as well given the EU the Crown Jewels.

In its current form if we except the WA what is the point of leaving the EU, if it was a choice of WA or EU I’d pick the EU. If it was a choice of WA or no deal exist I’d pick no deal

That happened because the PM is no Brexiteer. The UK should have told the EU_ "We want the hard Brexit and we are not sending you one additional pound, if you want to soften the impact on your falling economies, we are willing to accept your offers, but global Britain will be our first priority. We are strong and we do not need you."

So..basically lie to them? Try to call their bluff? The days of the mighty British empire and the Industrial revolution are long gone..though I'm sure our deal with Tweeting Trump, who wants to make the NHS pay more for medication will make up for it.

sabenapilot

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:04 pm

Seems very crowded in London today.... and it's not Farage's march arriving early: what's going on? ;)

Dutchy

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:04 pm

Great Brittain is ready for a hard Brexit:

Last edited by Dutchy on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

seahawk

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:04 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
seahawk wrote:
A101 wrote:

So..basically lie to them? Try to call their bluff? The days of the mighty British empire and the Industrial revolution are long gone..though I'm sure our deal with Tweeting Trump, who wants to make the NHS pay more for medication will make up for it.

I would not say lie, I would say being serious about leaving the EU. The British position should always have been the "no deal" exit. If this is causing unacceptable problems for the UK, then Brexit is a bad idea in the first place and your whole negotiation position is more like a suicide candidate threatening to jump out of a cellar window.

The problem is that British politicians are (and have always been) out of touch with the EU. They still believe that scaring Germany and France with a hard Brexit is enough to make the EU jump, but the UK only hears what it wants to hear. If Merkel says she is willing to work to the last minute to avoid as hard Brexit, the UK understands that the WA is open for renegotiation and the EU will give in to the UK´s demands, while Merkel means that she wants to give the UK every chance to not throw themselves down a cliff.
Last edited by seahawk on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dutchy

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:05 pm

sabenapilot wrote:
Seems very crowded in London today.... and it's not Farage's march arriving early: what's going on? ;)

yeah, up to a million, but Brexitrimest will say it is not enough in one, two, three..........

zkojq

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:33 pm

I land in Manchester on May 22nd. Will this be long enough after a hard-brexit for me to see lots of empty supermarket shelves so that I can make some smug Instagram posts? Is the food supplies minister, David Rutley MP, any good at his job?

sabenapilot wrote:
- The current Brexit Secretary votes against a plan he's been arguing for just minutes ago as Government member in charge of Brexit and thus also of the negotiations on the extension too...

Can someone explain to me why this happened?

BestWestern wrote:
I’m not saying the EU has stagnated, but so much time and effort that could have been used on positive improvements over the last two years were squandered on idiotic Brexit minister like Davis and Rabb. (Rabb nownthinks he can become Prime Minister. He who hadn’t read the good Friday agreement (the causer of the backstop), nor realised the importance of Dover. Are these guys fucking deluded.

I'm honestly not sure which of those two is the bigger moron.

BestWestern wrote:
What I’m saying is, let the UK leave. Time to worry about making a better EU, rather than worrying about Eton debate style negotiations.

:checkmark: Agreed. The EU has more productive and pressing matters to focus on. Brexit has taken up two years. If the UK wants to do their own thing then so be it.

Reinhardt wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

My money is on Italy.

Indeed, if any will Italy will - because several MPs have been contacted and had meetings with British citizens with a Hard Brexit agenda and funding behind them. Many funded by the same / similar people to those MPs they met.

This smells a lot like treason to me.

sabenapilot wrote:
Juncker is end of mandate and not seeking a new one...
One of the rumoured top candidates to replace him in the new Commission is Mr. Barnier.
Imagine the EC (under Mr Barnier) negotiating the all important FTA with the UK under TM as PM, or any other of the Brexiteers like D. Raab as potential successor...
He'll probably have to invite him to Calais to learn a bit about the importance of the Dover crossing to the UK first, or more political disasters will happen to the UK.

Barnier would make a fantastic head of the EU Commission.

noviorbis77 wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
Unless Parliament passes May's withdrawal agreement, none of us in the UK will ever be able to vote for President Juncker again.

Wait - are you calling the EU system democratic...?!

It is great democracy.

The EU Presidential Elections, were open and fair weren’t they?

We've discussed this at least three times before in the Brexit threads. Do keep up.

Unless you live in her constituency, you didn't vote directly for Theresa May. But don't get facts get in the way of a pointless anti-EU tirade. #ImOppressed

A3801000 wrote:
'Alex Azar, the US Health and Human Services Secretary, has said Washington will use its muscle to push up drug prices abroad, to lower the cost paid by patients in the United States.'

Is anyone actually stupid enough to believe that Azar, a career Pharmaceutical Lobbyist, would use any of the 'gains' of other countries paying more for drugs to reduce prices in the US? :scratchchin:

KLDC10 wrote:
That's clearly why your political scene is so splintered (13 different political groups in the House of Representatives!).

Please explain to us how greater political representation is a bad thing. :roll:

A3801000 wrote:
The EU was way too soft. Gave a extension, hinting on more.

I agree. If you keep giving exemptions to this and that and extensions to this and that then the UK becomes accustom to it and starts to expect to constantly get special treatment. Probably one of the partial causes of Brexit IMO.
First to fly the 787-9

Klaus

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:42 pm

A101 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

That's still the delusion hat anybody else could have been able to pick more cherries for the UK.

News flash: There aren't any – your own red lines determine what you can get from the EU!

In its current form if we except the WA what is the point of leaving the EU,

There simply isn't any point to it. It's just a distraction from the total failure of your own domestic UK politicians. The EU was just used as a random scapegoat readily supplied by self-interested media tycoons. Brexit is fully and completely an elite project, and conning a large part of the general public into supporting it was all they needed.

if it was a choice of WA or EU I’d pick the EU. If it was a choice of WA or no deal exist I’d pick no deal

A hard crash out of the EU would be a much harsher, much longer and – for UK poiliticians – a much safer diversion. That's all there is to it. No upside for regular people, but successfully keeping them from reconsidering their referendum vote is almost completed...

Tugger

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:46 pm

zkojq wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

I agree. If you keep giving exemptions to this and that and extensions to this and that then the UK becomes accustom to it and starts to expect to constantly get special treatment. Probably one of the partial causes of Brexit IMO.

Quite frankly, the EU really does not want the UK to leave. It doesn't help them at all really.
So I am not surprised.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Klaus

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:24 pm

Tugger wrote:
zkojq wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

Quite frankly, the EU really does not want the UK to leave. It doesn't help them at all really.
So I am not surprised.

No, you're misinformed.

By now toxic Britain is more a liability than an asset to the EU and most EU27 politicians and most likely also most EU27 citizens just want that gangrenous limb cut off to stop the suffering – we're just trying to keep the UK from committing outright suicide with a hard crash-out Brexit in order to limit the overall fallout.

Keeping the UK in its catastrophically disintegrating decline in the EU would be more trouble than it was worth and especially the other 27 governments, the Commission and most in the European Parliament are completely fed up with that spectacle and just want it to be over.

scbriml

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Klaus wrote:
That's still the delusion hat anybody else could have been able to pick more cherries for the UK.

None more deluded than Corbyn who continues to call for a GE in the belief that Labour would win and the EU will simply renegotiate a different deal. You know, the different deal that Parliament has already rejected.

Meanwhile, the woman who started the “Revoke Article 50” online petition has received multiple death threats. Nice to see that Brextreemists are using reasoned and logical arguments to put their case across. :sarcastic:

Hopefully the idiots threatening her will face the full force of the law.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

A101

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:15 pm

Klaus wrote:

News flash: There aren't any – your own red lines determine what you can get from the EU!

Those red lines were most certainly going to come to the fore once we left the a CU, they certainly will be in place in a no deal exist. That was the position TM should have used the entire time instead of caving to the EU and the ridiculous WA, working out the divorce bill and restricting the movement people to work related during the transition period is all she had to do, TM was blind to this because as seahawk said, she is not a true leaver at heart.

The future trade agreement was where all the nitty gritty would be sorted

Klaus wrote:
There simply isn't any point to it. It's just a distraction from the total failure of your own domestic UK politicians.

That we partly agree on, its those in parliament who voted against the WA can see ruinous path TM is leading is on.

Klaus wrote:
The EU was just used as a random scapegoat readily supplied by self-interested media tycoons. Brexit is fully and completely an elite project, and conning a large part of the general public into supporting it was all they needed.

Euroskeptisim has bubbled under the surface for quite sometime, it was always a ticking time bomb as is I’m most members of the EU, hence the need to make leave as difficult as possabile to show others this is the same path, and TM signed up to it
Last edited by A101 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aesma

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Brexit: What's the f**k is going on ?

I think a better title for the video would be "what happened", because what caused Brexit is largely what he's talking about, extreme laissez-faire policies run amok, for the benefit of the few, to the detriment of the many.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

KLDC10

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:00 pm

zkojq wrote:
I land in Manchester on May 22nd. Will this be long enough after a hard-brexit for me to see lots of empty supermarket shelves so that I can make some smug Instagram posts? Is the food supplies minister, David Rutley MP, any good at his job?

What a stupid question. Don't be so ridiculous - or, if you're that worried, don't bother coming; we aren't all waiting on tenterhooks for your triumphal entry.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

A101

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:17 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

What a stupid question. Don't be so ridiculous - or, if you're that worried, don't bother coming; we aren't all waiting on tenterhooks for your triumphal entry.

:checkmark: :checkmark:

Dutchy

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:10 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

You have a minister for food distribution..............

............ in peacetime..........

sabenapilot

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Aesma wrote:
Brexit: What's the f**k is going on ?

I think a better title for the video would be "what happened", because what caused Brexit is largely what he's talking about, extreme laissez-faire policies run amok, for the benefit of the few, to the detriment of the many.

Bang on!
Clearly a 'UK-sceptic'.
;)

opticalilyushin

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:36 am

I worry for those who still desire Brexit to go ahead. At what cost is it acceptable? Destabilisation of NI? I have to say that as a NI citizen i, like the vast majority of the population (despite what the the DUP may say) do not want Brexit or that to happen.

noviorbis77

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:42 am

scbriml wrote:
Klaus wrote:

None more deluded than Corbyn who continues to call for a GE in the belief that Labour would win and the EU will simply renegotiate a different deal. You know, the different deal that Parliament has already rejected.

Meanwhile, the woman who started the “Revoke Article 50” online petition has received multiple death threats. Nice to see that Brextreemists are using reasoned and logical arguments to put their case across. :sarcastic:

Hopefully the idiots threatening her will face the full force of the law.

she alleges death threats.

But hey lets just accept the word of a sour faced loser who started a petition because she did not like, not getting her own way.

Dieuwer

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:33 am

TM will not be PM much longer, according to the Sunday Times.

A101

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:32 am

Dieuwer wrote:
TM will not be PM much longer, according to the Sunday Times.

Every man and hs dog can see that was going to happen irrespective the final outcome.

A101

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 am

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/ca ... may-as-her

Lets see if I've got this right, they are prepared to sign off the sign off on a deal that was rejected twice by parliament to get rid of TM, It was a bad deal then its still a bad deal now, why bind yourself to a bad deal. She's good as gone at the next GE anyway along with a majority of MP I suspect.

In what one colleague described as a highly emotional state, Maynard, who voted Leave, informed the PM in no uncertain terms that her Brexit strategy was doomed. She risked not only failing to deliver on the result of the referendum, but also destroying the Conservative party, Maynard said, according to two sources in the room.

“I think things are slipping away from us,” he went on, explaining his verdict that they would not be able to find the numbers for her deal to pass unless she made a public commitment to stand down. The pledge to quit should be made in the Sunday newspapers ahead of the vote on her deal, Maynard said.

if they are not prepared to stand by their own convictions in the first place and do not want the hard road, revoke Article 50 and try and reform it from the inside because this WA wont do anything for the UK except more misery from the EU.

And if that happens I'm selling up and moving to Australia to be with closer my kids.

jcancel

Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:02 am

AFAIK the UK petitions site only allows signups from UK IP addresses (people could use a UK VPN to circumvent that). They also do analytics on the petition responses.

It is true that under 18s could sign the petition.

The petition is meant to convince MPs to overturn their own decisions that were made off of the advisory 2016 petition (MPs were culturally expected to do its bidding even though it had no legal force)

KLDC10 wrote:
First of all I reject the legitimacy of the petition. I have provided evidence that a significant number of signatures are null and void. Either because they have been made from abroad under false names, or because people have found ways to sign it multiple times (one guy appeared on the news last night to boast of having signed it 10 times). There is also nothing to stop youngster who are not legally allowed to vote signing the petition. It also turns out that the original instigator of the petition is a thorougly questionable individual: https://order-order.com/2019/03/22/revo ... e-commons/. As a bit of anecdotal evidence, because I've spent a lot of time in the US (evident from my interchangeable use of American and British English on this board), I often receive links to petitions etc. to sign even though I am not a registered US Voter. Nothing to stop me signing them.

Secondly, a mere online petition cannot overturn a legally-held and properly-overseen referendum. The vote took place. Leave won and it is the government's job to deliver on that. That we are still, nearly three years later, discussing whether to Leave or Remain is one of the biggest hurdles to actually delivering Brexit.

A101

Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:32 am

jcancel wrote:

The petition is meant to convince MPs to overturn their own decisions that were made off of the advisory 2016 petition (MPs were culturally expected to do its bidding even though it had no legal force)

It’s a tool to force more debate on the subject matter, the petition dosen’t convince them of anything, unlike a referendum which ask a question which would have been debated in parliament already

moo

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:58 am

jcancel wrote:
AFAIK the UK petitions site only allows signups from UK IP addresses (people could use a UK VPN to circumvent that). They also do analytics on the petition responses.

It is true that under 18s could sign the petition.

KLDC10 wrote:
First of all I reject the legitimacy of the petition. I have provided evidence that a significant number of signatures are null and void. Either because they have been made from abroad under false names, or because people have found ways to sign it multiple times (one guy appeared on the news last night to boast of having signed it 10 times). There is also nothing to stop youngster who are not legally allowed to vote signing the petition. It also turns out that the original instigator of the petition is a thorougly questionable individual: https://order-order.com/2019/03/22/revo ... e-commons/. As a bit of anecdotal evidence, because I've spent a lot of time in the US (evident from my interchangeable use of American and British English on this board), I often receive links to petitions etc. to sign even though I am not a registered US Voter. Nothing to stop me signing them.

Secondly, a mere online petition cannot overturn a legally-held and properly-overseen referendum. The vote took place. Leave won and it is the government's job to deliver on that. That we are still, nearly three years later, discussing whether to Leave or Remain is one of the biggest hurdles to actually delivering Brexit.

No it doesn't, I signed it and I'm currently living in New Zealand.

The petition site asks if you are either a UK Citizen OR a UK Resident, you do not have to be living in the UK to sign the petition and have your signature count.

It also doesn't require that you are over 18 - that argument is ridiculous, there's nothing that says a petition *has* to be the same as a legal vote. You don't have to be a voter, you don't even have to be legally eligible to vote in the UK to sign a Uk government petition.

ltbewr

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:59 am

Saturday saw a huge protest in London calling for a new referendum. They were the largest since those against the UK being involved in the war in Iraq in 2003. Some of the signs are classic British wit, very amusing, some brutal and some obscene.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47678763

It also appears that a major shake up of the cabinet is in the works and to force TM out and replace her with a temporary PM to break the stalemate over what to do about Brexit.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47683059

seahawk

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:32 am

Replacing May is the road to a hard Brexit.

LJ

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 am

A101 wrote:
if they are not prepared to stand by their own convictions in the first place and do not want the hard road, revoke Article 50 and try and reform it from the inside because this WA wont do anything for the UK except more misery from the EU.

And if that happens I'm selling up and moving to Australia to be with closer my kids.

Why move to Australia? If they oust May a hard Brexit is almost guaranteed as a) who would want to be PM in the UK (other than Boris Johnson) and b) why would someone else than May do it better? Ousting May is nothing more that the cabinet and/or parliament showing what it doesn't want, not what it actually wants. Moreover, who guarantees to May that they would honor their promises by backing May in the vote? Or is she supposed to step down after the vote?

scbriml

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:56 am

noviorbis77 wrote:

But hey lets just accept the word of a sour faced loser who started a petition because she did not like, not getting her own way.

You’re seriously accusing a 77yo woman of lying about receiving death threats? On what basis?

Lying Brexiteers don’t bother you and you couldn’t care less about the consequences of the hard Brexit you so crave.

Nice.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

noviorbis77

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:18 pm

scbriml wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

You’re seriously accusing a 77yo woman of lying about receiving death threats? On what basis?

Lying Brexiteers don’t bother you and you couldn’t care less about the consequences of the hard Brexit you so crave.

Nice.

On the basis that there is no evidence whatsoever and you have automatically assumed she is telling the truth.

Her age has nothing to do with it.

The trouble is these days, people read things and automatically have answers and conclusions without any facts to back it all up.

ChrisKen

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:31 pm

novioboris77 wrote:
The trouble is these days, people read things and automatically have answers and conclusions without any facts to back it all up.

Yay, your first valid statement. Something you've done with every single brexiteer 'fact' you've presented. All of which have been comprehensively debunked yet you still beleive a suicidal no deal brexit is the correct way ahead. Talk about deluded.

Aesma

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Usually you put your job on the line so that if the electorate (or here MPs) go your way, you stay, if not, you leave. Cue President Charles De Gaulle in 1969 who resigned after losing a referendum, or David Cameron more recently (although he didn't pledge his job).

Here TM is offering her head in exchange for MPs voting for her law, it's incredible.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dutchy

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:59 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
I worry for those who still desire Brexit to go ahead. At what cost is it acceptable? Destabilisation of NI? I have to say that as a NI citizen i, like the vast majority of the population (despite what the the DUP may say) do not want Brexit or that to happen.

The Brexitrimist don't care about the consequences, quite scary.

LJ

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:25 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:

Have you read the comments in the Daily Mail article about the slow down on the UK motorway by Brexiteers? Some of those commentators threatened to start civil war if their Brexit was not delivered. Given the current climate, I would be surprised if she wouldn't receive death threats as this is, unfortunately, the norm nowadays.

seahawk

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28 pm

The WA negotiated by May is not acceptable with the backstop. Members of Parliament need to step up and deliver a true total Brexit.

Dutchy

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:46 pm

LJ wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Have you read the comments in the Daily Mail article about the slow down on the UK motorway by Brexiteers? Some of those commentators threatened to start civil war if their Brexit was not delivered. Given the current climate, I would be surprised if she wouldn't receive death threats as this is, unfortunately, the norm nowadays.

Anna Soubry: Independent Group MP ‘can't go home’ because of death threats over Brexit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 34321.html

Labour MP Jo Cox 'murdered for political cause'

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37978582

The atmosphere in Great Brittain is toxic. Regret to say, but if Margaret Anne Georgiadou says she received death threats, why would anyone doubt this? So this article is totally believable: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-47678275

Her response was quite brilliant:

margaret georgiadou wrote:
Hi - am the person responsible for the Revoke Art 50 petition. Just needed to tell you that 1. am currently visiting Cyprus. and 2. last night I had three telepohoned death threats. (!) Who wants Brexit so much that they are prepared to kill for it?

We know, by his own admission, noviorbis77 is prepared to take a huge hit in the economy and to have United Kindom fallen apart. How far does he wants this to go? Civil war like some of those UKIP supporters are shouting in the 'March to Leave'.

scbriml

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:29 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
On the basis that there is no evidence whatsoever and you have automatically assumed she is telling the truth.

Whereas you've automatically assumed she's lying based on no evidence. Right.

Maybe she should have put it on the side of a bus. :sarcastic: :banghead:

KLDC10

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:48 pm

scbriml wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Whereas you've automatically assumed she's lying based on no evidence. Right.

It has been reported that she has made threats herself, though she disputes the Sun's findings:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8702416/b ... -facebook/
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146

noviorbis77

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:16 pm

LJ wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

It seems odd that climate protesters can block roads without punishment. Pro EU protesters can have roads closed for them, but a few trucks and motorists driving slowly in protest at the lack of Brexit progression get fined.

Not really fair is it.

Oh - do not take anything seriously in the Daily Fail comments section.

zkojq

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:29 pm

I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. “That’s easy,” he replied. “When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.”

So the reason most of the British tabloids hate the EU is because some attention seeking billionaire is bitter about not getting special treatment?

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comm ... 89151.html

Brexit trade deals will be worse than current EU deals, says Liam Fox's former trade chief:

LONDON – Countries are likely to offer the United Kingdom worse trade deals than it currently enjoys as a member of the European Union, the former head of Liam Fox’s International Trade Department has told Business Insider.

Sir Martin Donnelly, who was the Permanent Secretary of the Department for International Trade until 2017, said that the UK could offer less market access as an individual country than as part the EU, and would therefore be offered less favourable terms when negotiating free trade arrangements after Brexit.

“The United Kingdom alone can offer significantly less in terms of market access or government procurement than can all of the European Union,” Donnelly said.

“That means that other countries are less likely to offer us the same deal because they don’t get the same benefits,” he added.

“Trade negotiators are not sentimental, they look for reciprocity of benefits.”

Trade Secretary Fox promised that the UK would roll over dozens of existing EU free trade arrangements “the second after” the UK left the EU, the scheduled date for which has been delayed by at least two weeks beyond March 29.

As if that wasn't obvious already.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/says ... &r=US&IR=T

Dutchy wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

You have a minister for food distribution..............

............ in peacetime..........

Exactly, but is he any good?

KLDC10 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

we aren't all waiting on tenterhooks for your triumphal entry.

So you're telling me that the ending of free movement of people won't keep out foreign reprobates such as myself? :lol: Sounds like you were sold a lie, mate.

A101 wrote:

:rotfl: Hey A101, can we please have that Irish Border Solution you promised us three or four months ago but still haven't delivered.

scbriml wrote:

:lol: Well played, sir!
First to fly the 787-9

KLDC10

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:08 pm

zkojq wrote:
So you're telling me that the ending of free movement of people won't keep out foreign reprobates such as myself? :lol: Sounds like you were sold a lie, mate.

I don't recall voting to close the borders or ban tourism. To end EU Freedom of Movement, sure.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146

LJ

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:17 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
It seems odd that climate protesters can block roads without punishment. Pro EU protesters can have roads closed for them, but a few trucks and motorists driving slowly in protest at the lack of Brexit progression get fined.

Not really fair is it.

I reckon that those protesting in London had a permit to do so (you can probably apply for one as well). As for road blocking environmental climate protesters, it depends on whether it's an offense or not. If so they should get fined as well. Those motorists driving slowly clearly made an offense and thus should pay for it, though I reckon they, or someone else, will start a crowdfunding action to pay for their fines.

noviorbis77 wrote:
Oh - do not take anything seriously in the Daily Fail comments section.

I know, but it takes only one lunatic who actually does what he (or she, though statistics would say it would be a man) says he'll be doing. It will not be the first time.

zkojq wrote:
I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. “That’s easy,” he replied. “When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.”

So the reason most of the British tabloids hate the EU is because some attention seeking billionaire is bitter about not getting special treatment?

Didn't you know that already? It's widely known that Rupert Murdoch doesn't like the fact that he cannot influence Brussels. Even worse (for him), EU regulation is not on his side and he can benefit a lot should the UK leave the EU.

A3801000

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Remember the famous new 50p Brexit coin? Loads of them are minted now, with the wrong date. Ha ha, you can't make that up.

moo

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:41 pm

A3801000 wrote:
Remember the famous new 50p Brexit coin? Loads of them are minted now, with the wrong date. Ha ha, you can't make that up.

Nope, Treasury says they haven't been mass produced yet.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-5944289

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8659312/s ... e-on-them/

A101

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 pm

zkojq wrote:
:rotfl: Hey A101, can we please have that Irish Border Solution you promised us three or four months ago but still haven't delivered.

Oh, you mean that suggestion I brought up and a Dutchy was all for it before his post was deleted, you really are a Drongo mate

A101

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:35 pm

A3801000 wrote:

Two good things will come out of that, it keeps someone in a job and they now will be a collectors item

Dutchy

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:42 pm

A101 wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

Two good things will come out of that, it keeps someone in a job and they now will be a collectors item

monument to incompetence.

A101

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:

I think there’s enough of that going around, it’s just not a UK sport :wave:

Klaus

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:44 pm

A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I think there’s enough of that going around, it’s just not a UK sport :wave:

Right now the UK is alone far ahead of pretty much any other country in that regard, basically the world record holder in national dysfunction and incompetence, putting some failed states to shame.

Effectively the way it's been going the whole thing is a very clear demonstration where the UK's actual problems lie: It's not the EU (which looks perfectly organised, united, competent and with ironclad solidarity with its (remaining) members) but it's the UK's own political class that's been screwing up all along.

I could have told you that before the referendum already, but you wouldn't listen.
(Well, I actually have been telling that for many years!)