User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11667
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:34 am

Having 1 hour difference with your neighbours can be annoying but it's not really a big deal.

France isn't in the right time zone and if we keep summertime forever (which is what French people have voted for) it won't improve.

I'm all for it anyway, and voted on it. All newspapers and TV news programs talked about the vote several times.

An aunt of mine who lives at the tip of the country in Brest is appalled at the idea and wants wintertime forever.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10644
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:49 am

LJ wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Whose fault is it that you did not know?


The EU's fault. Blaming that the media should have picked this up is really too easy.


Did the EU hide it? Apparently media could pick it up, and quite a lot of non-germans found it as well..

Sounds like you argue for an EU propaganda station, of "must carry" legislation for certain announcements.... both things that would outrage a lot of people, probably be unconstitutional almost anywhere in the EU, and feed the narrative about the EU being undemocratic....

Ultimately it is your own, personal fault. All EU institutions offer newsletters & RSS feeds, many offer podcasts or even SMS notification. https://europa.eu/newsroom/subscription-services_en

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9560
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:15 am

tommy1808 wrote:
LJ wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Whose fault is it that you did not know?


The EU's fault. Blaming that the media should have picked this up is really too easy.


Did the EU hide it? Apparently media could pick it up, and quite a lot of non-germans found it as well..

Sounds like you argue for an EU propaganda station, of "must carry" legislation for certain announcements.... both things that would outrage a lot of people, probably be unconstitutional almost anywhere in the EU, and feed the narrative about the EU being undemocratic....

Ultimately it is your own, personal fault. All EU institutions offer newsletters & RSS feeds, many offer podcasts or even SMS notification. https://europa.eu/newsroom/subscription-services_en

Best regards
Thomas


It was picked up by the news in the Netherlands, even some public debate on it with experts etc. (the Netherlands should be in the UK timezone as well, but for all practical reasons we are on Germany with this one). Our government said it wanted a public debate and then will decide on this matter. Apparently, the general public didn't care enough about it to participate. But they had the opportunity to do so.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9560
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:14 am

Brexit: Government to slash up to 90% of trade tariffs if UK leaves EU with no deal

Sky sources say that many trade tariffs for the UK could be removed entirely


Trade experts have warned that by slashing tariffs without waiting for reciprocation elsewhere, the UK is undermining its ability in future to strike effective trade deals, since it loses much of its leverage.


The catch is that until it has secured formal trade deals, it is unlikely to see this tariff reduction mirrored elsewhere, meaning UK exports will face significant barriers when they cross the channel or go to existing EU trade partners.


Source: Sky

That will mean a disaster for local business and farmers. Thus the blue color worker will bear the grunt of this, the people whom voted for Brexit.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11667
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 am

So you have ERG and co clamoring that no deal should be the negotiating position so that the UK can extract a good deal from the EU, some kind of bluff, and now we hear this.

Frankly that sounds like May is trying to sabotage Brexit so that remaining is the only option.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
A3801000
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:02 am

3 weeks to go and still nobody in the UK talks any sense.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9560
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:10 am

A3801000 wrote:
3 weeks to go and still nobody in the UK talks any sense.


Brino....... least worst option for all involved.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
FatCat
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:51 am

I just received a memo from the Customs, starting on April 1st, we have to issue Customs Documents for every shipment to the UK: https://www.adm.gov.it/portale/document ... 3053a75823

Also invoicing will be different, by the way.

Brexit is real ...
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:28 pm

By the way, in France we got the results about the DST thing :https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/2019/03/06/changement-dheure-plus-de-80-des-francais-veulent-sa-fin-lheure-dete-lemporte_a_23685701/?utm_hp_ref=fr-homepage

More than 2 millions voted and Sumer time is the prefered choice
When UK was in it wanted a lot of opt-outs, now it is out it wants opt-ins
 
User avatar
speedygonzales
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:04 pm

ECJ wrote:
The revocation must be decided following a democratic process in accordance with national constitutional requirements. This unequivocal and unconditional decision must be communicated in writing to the European Council.

My reading of the ECJ ruling is that Parliament must explicitly vote in favor of revocation, but I could be wrong of course. A50 can be revoked any time until a WA enters into force or the two-year period expires, however since it must be communicated in writing, I don't expect that Parliament can hold a vote at two minutes to midnight, and have TM send Donald Tusk an email just after.
Does anyone have any insight into how a revocation would happen in practice?
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:
 
A3801000
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:18 pm

Very interesting interview with Ivan Rogers, UK ambassador to the EU for 3 years:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 55789.html
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9560
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:07 pm

speedygonzales wrote:
Does anyone have any insight into how a revocation would happen in practice?


No and I think nobody does since this is the first time Article 50 is triggered and thus everything is new about the procedure. In reality, I think smoke signals would be accepted by the EU, since they didn't want the UK to leave in the first place. In practice, there probably would be a nice letter from May, just like the article 50 letter she wrote with the massages, "we have tried and failed, we decided not to go ahead with this, our voters were wrong, our Parlement was wrong, Her Majesties government was wrong. We are sorry for any inconvenience it may have cost" :)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
agill
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:49 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:00 am

https://youtu.be/TYcc6nMjy4s
No Deal Brexit: BMW, Toyota, Vauxhall warn over jobs and investment

But this will probably be no problem because "taking back control".
 
A3801000
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:40 am

agill wrote:
https://youtu.be/TYcc6nMjy4s
No Deal Brexit: BMW, Toyota, Vauxhall warn over jobs and investment

But this will probably be no problem because "taking back control".


But, but, but...

'It's a complete myth that a no-deal Brexit would cripple the British economy'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... h-economy/

'We the people have spoken on Brexit… let us now have have lift-off'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8570432/j ... on-brexit/


:banghead:

Me, I am done with it. :wave:
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9560
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:09 am

A3801000 wrote:
'It's a complete myth that a no-deal Brexit would cripple the British economy'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... h-economy/



You quoted one thing, but I think the essence of the piece and the most honest part: "write this with reluctance, and much trepidation, but it’s no deal or the Tory party will be finished."

So party above country for Allister Heath. For someone whom is educated as he is, he is doing a lot of guessing and not a lot of analyses. Typical for a Brexiteer whom is defending a dive into the deep.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
A3801000
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:32 am

Yes, but there is no 'outrage', no 'large majority' (same as in USA by the way) so, as sad as it is, let the UK leave, best in a no--deal scenario so they have no excuses, let them deal with the aftermath and hopefully join very soon again under very different circumstances. Anything else will not get anyone anywhere.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 3779
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:21 pm

par13del wrote:
zkojq wrote:
The exact same thing is happening with negotiations with Asian nations. Did the brexitards seriously think that when sitting at the negotiating table with China, India, Vietnam etc visas and visa guarantees weren't going to be on the agenda? If that's not ironic, I don't know what is.

The exact same thing is happening with the EU hence the reason why some people say hard brexit is the only way to go. The UK as a little nation has no leverage whatsoever with the EU, the supposed divorce bill is more of a bribe than leverage, funny thing is that in-spite of their being no deal, no one on the EU side is saying the UK has to pay bar bill, meet obligations, etc etc etc..I think they finally realized that they can survive just fine without the UK money.


Wait, so you are trying to spin the issue of visas for non EU citizens as the EU's fault? :scratchchin:
First to fly the 787-9
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 3779
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:27 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
From the article you linked:

'The plans, which followed a consultation of 4 million people, still have to be agreed with EU member states and the full European parliament if they are to become law.'

For further reading I recommend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy


This is balls.

They did not ask 4 million people.

How were they asked?
How did they chose who to ask?

It is just bull****.

Unless it is emergency legislation, no laws should be brought in that have not appeared on a manifesto.

It is just another EU law, the public overwhelmingly had no say in. MEP’s voted in, in Romania and Bulgaria, influencing and dictating what has to be done on the other side of the continent.


The best thing about it is that you can guarantee that no matter what their actual opinion on daylight saving, people such as yourself will automatically be against changing it now since it is the EU that is bringing about that change. Daylight saving is not actually very popular at all.
First to fly the 787-9
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:28 pm

Aesma wrote:
Frankly that sounds like May is trying to sabotage Brexit so that remaining is the only option.

Remaining was the only viable option from day 1. Anyone with any sense knew this already.
 
A3801000
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:16 pm

thank you, UK? Or just 'project fear'?

'48 financial firms apply to move to Germany in Brexit planning'

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-b ... SKCN1QO12B
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10644
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:35 pm

zkojq wrote:
par13del wrote:
zkojq wrote:
The exact same thing is happening with negotiations with Asian nations. Did the brexitards seriously think that when sitting at the negotiating table with China, India, Vietnam etc visas and visa guarantees weren't going to be on the agenda? If that's not ironic, I don't know what is.

The exact same thing is happening with the EU hence the reason why some people say hard brexit is the only way to go. The UK as a little nation has no leverage whatsoever with the EU, the supposed divorce bill is more of a bribe than leverage, funny thing is that in-spite of their being no deal, no one on the EU side is saying the UK has to pay bar bill, meet obligations, etc etc etc..I think they finally realized that they can survive just fine without the UK money.


Wait, so you are trying to spin the issue of visas for non EU citizens as the EU's fault? :scratchchin:


...or having to pay for the pensions of civil servants, some of which may have worked their whole professional career on behalf of the UK, into "bribe".

What par13del also missed is the simple fact that the financial settlement was disconnected from having a leave agreement or not having one. It is payable with the conclusion of any post-Brexit trade agreement. So, no one is talking about it because it is already settled.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
A3801000
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:32 pm

'Brexit Department chief set to retire aged 57 - on Brexit Day'

'...Mr Rycroft is set to go a few hours before Brexit officially happens at 11pm on March 29.

It comes despite his own department planning for months of potential disruption if there is no Brexit deal - and the odds mounting of Brexit being delayed.'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ource=push
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 8521
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Hard Brexit is coming - counting the days!!
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:14 pm

seahawk wrote:
Hard Brexit is coming - counting the days!!


Snap.

Cannot wait.

How are we all going to celebrate?
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:16 pm

JJJ wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
JJJ wrote:

The law follows an open poll where millions cast their vote after being open for 6 weeks. And of course the committee was set up after a vote from the (elected) Parliament.

But why let facts get in the way of a good anti-EU rant.


So I could have had a say then?

Why did they not make members of the public aware of this?


They did make members of the public aware by all possible means, if your press and your politicians decided not to pick it until after the results were published that's your entirely your problem.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/statu ... 8582881280

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45366390


Nonsense.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10644
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:20 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
JJJ wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

So I could have had a say then?

Why did they not make members of the public aware of this?


They did make members of the public aware by all possible means, if your press and your politicians decided not to pick it until after the results were published that's your entirely your problem.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/statu ... 8582881280

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45366390


Nonsense.


so, we should swap "nonsense" with "Fact" every time you misuse the word?

It is a fact that they used all means available to them to make it publicly known. Millions got the message. You have just been to busy hating the EU and not cared a bit about anything they say, do or publish.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9560
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:28 am

tommy1808 wrote:
...or having to pay for the pensions of civil servants, some of which may have worked their whole professional career on behalf of the UK, into "bribe".


Yes, mister Farage would like all the other EU members to pay for his pension (MEP for the last decades).
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9560
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:32 am

tommy1808 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
JJJ wrote:

They did make members of the public aware by all possible means, if your press and your politicians decided not to pick it until after the results were published that's your entirely your problem.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/statu ... 8582881280

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45366390


Nonsense.


so, we should swap "nonsense" with "Fact" every time you misuse the word?

It is a fact that they used all means available to them to make it publicly known. Millions got the message. You have just been to busy hating the EU and not cared a bit about anything they say, do or publish.

best regards
Thomas


No, mister civil servant here believes that mr. Junker should have phoned him up personally to inform him about this fact and consult him whether to go ahead or not. All other means are dishonest and mean he didn't have any say in it. God forbit you should do any work yourself or let someone else represent you, except of course MEP in Brittain whom he see as perfectly legit to do the same.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 8521
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:43 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
JJJ wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

So I could have had a say then?

Why did they not make members of the public aware of this?


They did make members of the public aware by all possible means, if your press and your politicians decided not to pick it until after the results were published that's your entirely your problem.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/statu ... 8582881280

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45366390


Nonsense.

Exactly it was just another play to push the German agenda, which should get legitimation through opening the vote to all EU citizens, but it was only communicated in Germany. A vote by Germans should not be binding for the Brits!!

In 3 weeks freedom will arrive!!
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:46 am

seahawk wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
JJJ wrote:

They did make members of the public aware by all possible means, if your press and your politicians decided not to pick it until after the results were published that's your entirely your problem.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/statu ... 8582881280

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45366390


Nonsense.

Exactly it was just another play to push the German agenda, which should get legitimation through opening the vote to all EU citizens, but it was only communicated in Germany. A vote by Germans should not be binding for the Brits!!

In 3 weeks freedom will arrive!!


https://facts4eu.org/news/2019_mar_germany_and_uk#

A good read.
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:48 am

Dutchy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Nonsense.


so, we should swap "nonsense" with "Fact" every time you misuse the word?

It is a fact that they used all means available to them to make it publicly known. Millions got the message. You have just been to busy hating the EU and not cared a bit about anything they say, do or publish.

best regards
Thomas


No, mister civil servant here believes that mr. Junker should have phoned him up personally to inform him about this fact and consult him whether to go ahead or not. All other means are dishonest and mean he didn't have any say in it. God forbit you should do any work yourself or let someone else represent you, except of course MEP in Brittain whom he see as perfectly legit to do the same.


Do you spell Britain wrong deliberately as some sort of joke?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10644
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:52 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Nonsense.

Exactly it was just another play to push the German agenda, which should get legitimation through opening the vote to all EU citizens, but it was only communicated in Germany. A vote by Germans should not be binding for the Brits!!

In 3 weeks freedom will arrive!!


https://facts4eu.org/news/2019_mar_germany_and_uk#

A good read.


Yup, it really makes for a good laugh and demonstrates clearly that the authors don´t know how trade or economies work.

Plus the usualy nonsense of pointing out trade balances between single countries, while any comparison other than UK <-> whole EU is nonsense. The UK isn´t the biggest UK trading partner, the EU is by a large Margin.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10644
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:55 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

so, we should swap "nonsense" with "Fact" every time you misuse the word?

It is a fact that they used all means available to them to make it publicly known. Millions got the message. You have just been to busy hating the EU and not cared a bit about anything they say, do or publish.

best regards
Thomas


No, mister civil servant here believes that mr. Junker should have phoned him up personally to inform him about this fact and consult him whether to go ahead or not. All other means are dishonest and mean he didn't have any say in it. God forbit you should do any work yourself or let someone else represent you, except of course MEP in Brittain whom he see as perfectly legit to do the same.


Do you spell Britain wrong deliberately as some sort of joke?


because in Dutch it is written Brittannie perhaps, so not that unexpected a typo perhaps?

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:58 am

tommy1808 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Exactly it was just another play to push the German agenda, which should get legitimation through opening the vote to all EU citizens, but it was only communicated in Germany. A vote by Germans should not be binding for the Brits!!

In 3 weeks freedom will arrive!!


https://facts4eu.org/news/2019_mar_germany_and_uk#

A good read.


Yup, it really makes for a good laugh and demonstrates clearly that the authors don´t know how trade or economies work.

Plus the usualy nonsense of pointing out trade balances between single countries, while any comparison other than UK <-> whole EU is nonsense. The UK isn´t the biggest UK trading partner, the EU is by a large Margin.

best regards
Thomas


And which current EU member is the largest trading partner?
 
LJ
Posts: 4771
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 1999 8:28 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:02 am

Dutchy wrote:
It was picked up by the news in the Netherlands, even some public debate on it with experts etc. (the Netherlands should be in the UK timezone as well, but for all practical reasons we are on Germany with this one). Our government said it wanted a public debate and then will decide on this matter. Apparently, the general public didn't care enough about it to participate. But they had the opportunity to do so.


That was after the consultation was closed and the results were published.

Anyway, apparently May is considering changing the order of the votes. At present, Parliament will first vote on her deal, then a vote on allowing a no-deal situation and if both are turned down, a vote for extending the deadline. However, some rumors suggest that the vote on extending the deadline will be the second vote followed by a vote on no-deal. The reason for this switch would be to prevent ministers resigning after the second vote. Moreover, either she'll have the deadline extension already when the crucial no-deal vote comes or there will be maximum pressure on the no-deal vote. In addition it seems Philip Hammond mentioned that a softer Brexit than the one proposed by May could be a possibility if Mays plans were turned down. Interesting week ahead

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/07/may-to-ask-eu-for-concessions-to-get-mps-to-back-brexit-deal
Last edited by LJ on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10644
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:08 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
And which current EU member is the largest trading partner?


I haven´t seen any macroeconomic analysis beyond mere direct cross border business, so it would seem no one knows.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
JJJ
Posts: 3257
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:


Yup, it really makes for a good laugh and demonstrates clearly that the authors don´t know how trade or economies work.

Plus the usualy nonsense of pointing out trade balances between single countries, while any comparison other than UK <-> whole EU is nonsense. The UK isn´t the biggest UK trading partner, the EU is by a large Margin.

best regards
Thomas


And which current EU member is the largest trading partner?


For trade purposes the EU is a single block.

Doesn't really matter which specific member does exactly what.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14184
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:56 am

I suspect that many subjects of the UK don't care about Brexit and more interested in the next Royal baby being born. That will be until they get the bill for costs for Brexit, lose or see others around them lose jobs from Brexit, have problems getting food or medicines.
 
A3801000
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:30 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Nonsense.

Exactly it was just another play to push the German agenda, which should get legitimation through opening the vote to all EU citizens, but it was only communicated in Germany. A vote by Germans should not be binding for the Brits!!

In 3 weeks freedom will arrive!!


https://facts4eu.org/news/2019_mar_germany_and_uk#

A good read.


You call this a 'good read'? Let's see:

'In 2018 alone, these German sales amounted to £70 billion
The Germans bought less than half this amount from British companies
Yet the UK is expected to pay over £39 billion to the EU, without even getting a trade deal?'

A trade deficit between the UK and Germany has exactly what to do with a agreement between the UK and the EU ' on how to settle their financial commitments to each other after Brexit'?

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk ... y/CBP-8039

Next it blames Germany to not buy enough from the UK, well, that is either because we Germans really, really don't like you Brits (which is rubbish) or what you sell is either too expensive or has no demand in Germany. Your linked piece of rubbish makes it sound as if we boycott your stuff.

Funny bit is that after Brexit the Brits still want a nice BMW or Mercedes and your industry will still need machines produced in Germany, while Germans still will not have any interest in electrical appliances with 3 plugs or 3/4" tools. :spin:

Enjoy your Brexit, your new control, Bananas that are shaped like Bananas again and your chlorine showered chicken.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11667
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:42 am

A3801000 wrote:
agill wrote:
https://youtu.be/TYcc6nMjy4s
No Deal Brexit: BMW, Toyota, Vauxhall warn over jobs and investment

But this will probably be no problem because "taking back control".


But, but, but...

'It's a complete myth that a no-deal Brexit would cripple the British economy'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... h-economy/

'We the people have spoken on Brexit… let us now have have lift-off'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8570432/j ... on-brexit/

:banghead:

Me, I am done with it. :wave:


I wouldn't be surprised if some of these "news"papers HQs ended up burned to the ground when Brexit has happened and is the disaster it was always going to be.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11667
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:47 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Frankly that sounds like May is trying to sabotage Brexit so that remaining is the only option.

Remaining was the only viable option from day 1. Anyone with any sense knew this already.


Yes, but for many observers it seems May's main objective is to save her party.

Now, it's not very logical either way because when all can see Brexit is a disaster, the Tories will bear most of the blame.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9560
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:11 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

so, we should swap "nonsense" with "Fact" every time you misuse the word?

It is a fact that they used all means available to them to make it publicly known. Millions got the message. You have just been to busy hating the EU and not cared a bit about anything they say, do or publish.

best regards
Thomas


No, mister civil servant here believes that mr. Junker should have phoned him up personally to inform him about this fact and consult him whether to go ahead or not. All other means are dishonest and mean he didn't have any say in it. God forbit you should do any work yourself or let someone else represent you, except of course MEP in Brittain whom he see as perfectly legit to do the same.


Do you spell Britain wrong deliberately as some sort of joke?


You've got nothing better to say then to correct the grammar of someone with dyslexia. Great job man.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9560
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:16 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Nonsense.

Exactly it was just another play to push the German agenda, which should get legitimation through opening the vote to all EU citizens, but it was only communicated in Germany. A vote by Germans should not be binding for the Brits!!

In 3 weeks freedom will arrive!!


https://facts4eu.org/news/2019_mar_germany_and_uk#

A good read.


Funny that you call this a good read, and hilarious that they call themselves pro-Brexit facts. They still haven't got a clue about how things work within trade, within the EU, with the divorce bill. They still seems to believe that the EU needs Great Brittain more than the other way around. Reality will hit hard when it comes.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
LJ
Posts: 4771
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 1999 8:28 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:34 am

noviorbis77 wrote:


Indeed a good read. It proofs that when you're a service oriented country (like the UK) you've to import a lot of goods. In the end, people want cars, TVs or other stuff. If you're not making them yourself, or when most of the resources are not made locally, you've to import to meet the demand. Which means higher trade deficit with countries which do have a manufacturing industry (like Germany).
 
Reinhardt
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:58 am

I've seen dozens of reports from SMB starting to come out that suppliers from Europe and China are refusing to quote or ship goods, because they don't know what Tax, Duty or procedures will be in place at the end of the month. Many who have only 1 or 2 suppliers are actually having to cease trading with immediate effect.

This is the real effect of a completely paralised govenment and parliament. Imagine what would happen with a no deal Brexit with no trade deals in place on day 1?

People really have no idea the harm this is all doing to ordinary folk, and when SMB are the backbone and biggest employers in your economy you can't do this to them.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10644
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
People really have no idea the harm this is all doing to ordinary folk, and when SMB are the backbone and biggest employers in your economy you can't do this to them.


Want to get on the sort of conspiracy theories popping up once the first just-in-time/sequence assembly lines stop because of parts shortage?

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
A3801000
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Theresa May's trip to Brussels has been cancelled at the same time as the EU has called all 27 EU ambassadors to Brussels for further Brexit talks.

The Prime Minister must have a new deal by Monday morning if MPs are able to vote on it on Tuesday.
 
sabenapilot
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2000 6:18 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:21 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:
People really have no idea the harm this is all doing to ordinary folk, and when SMB are the backbone and biggest employers in your economy you can't do this to them.


Want to get on the sort of conspiracy theories popping up once the first just-in-time/sequence assembly lines stop because of parts shortage?


Brexiteers are already starting to deflect the blame, it seems....

Jeremy Hunt , the Foreign Secretary and the man who recently compared the EU to the USSR (and infuriated the Baltic states with his hyperbolic nonsense) now wants to play the EU's best friend by warning it risks losing goodwill from a generation of Brits if it doesn't give the UK what it needs?!? You just can't make this up, can you?
ROTFL.

Meanwhile, TM is about to take to the stage for yet another speech in which she'll basically beg the EU to give her something she can go to Westminster with to win the second meaningful vote on her deal with.

Interestingly enough, there's a meeting in Brussels of the ambassadors of the Eu27 this afternoon in which they are expected to sign off on the formal reply of Mr Barnier, which will be that the UK has to stop making impossible demands but rather has to make up its mind about what it wants and simply accept the consequences of this choice.
Meeting is said to have an extremely short time slot scheduled: just 15 minutes, so probably shorter than TM's speech even!
Basically the EU is once again telling the British government to either accept the WA as it is, or fall in line with the idea of a BRINO... or it can opt for a kamikaze hard Brexit.
What will it be, Theresa?
 
A3801000
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:35 pm

TM's Brexit speech to start any moment now..
 
Reinhardt
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Re: Brexit part 5:Bye England! See you soon Scotland ?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:05 pm

A3801000 wrote:
TM's Brexit speech to start any moment now..


Glad to see absoutely nothing has changed with her. Utterly useless.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kiwirob and 30 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos