Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KICT
Topic Author

Kamala Harris Announces Candidacy for President

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Kamala Harris, a California lawmaker and longtime prosecutor, just announced that she’s running for the Democratic nomination for president, becoming the third sitting senator to make her 2020 ambitions official.

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/21/18175628/kamala-harris-2020-campaign-president

I am so happy she is getting into the race! If the Obama coalition can be motivated to get out to the polls, this is going to be great. Already donated.

People are saying. Believe me.

DL717

Re: Kamala Harris Announces Candidacy for President

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:45 pm

You should have taken $20 and flushed it down the toilet. Would have taken less time. She has no chance.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

DaveFly

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm

Appealing to ‘White Progressives’ and ‘Millennials of Color,’ as touted on CNN.

Sorry, that won’t win independents and purple states.

Find someone who can actually win.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

bgm

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:35 pm

DL717 wrote:
You should have taken $20 and flushed it down the toilet. Would have taken less time. She has no chance.

According to whom, DL717? You, or VTKillarney?

casinterest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Another entrant into the Democratic nomination process. It is excellent to be getting a large and diverse pool.
It's all part of the process. Can't wait to see the Lying,.Racist in the White House tweet it out for the next 19.5 months. Should be pure invective and hate that he has towards most of the citizens of this country.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

DL717

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:40 pm

bgm wrote:
DL717 wrote:

According to whom, DL717? You, or VTKillarney?

How about Dianne Feinstein:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/di ... af7a97a959
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 pm

I still have some reservations about Kamala. Her 2016 Senate campaign showed what she's capable of BUT we don't need more blue-state Democrats running. Her record may be impressive but she will be knocked down as a coastal liberal that wouldn't know anything from the heartland (which is needed if you want to carry the Rust-Belt states again). I'm sorry, but this race is to see who can out-Bernie Bernie himself (Warren, Gillibrand, Harris...), with those who refuse to go that far being cast as DINOs. And because she's the California favorite, I'm guessing she's not gonna care much about the early states in the hopes of netting lots of delegates from CA.

DL717 wrote:

Donating to her campaign has a better ROI than the GoFundMe for the wall...BTW, how's that going?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DL717

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:16 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I still have some reservations about Kamala. Her 2016 Senate campaign showed what she's capable of BUT we don't need more blue-state Democrats running. Her record may be impressive but she will be knocked down as a coastal liberal that wouldn't know anything from the heartland (which is needed if you want to carry the Rust-Belt states again). I'm sorry, but this race is to see who can out-Bernie Bernie himself (Warren, Gillibrand, Harris...), with those who refuse to go that far being cast as DINOs. And because she's the California favorite, I'm guessing she's not gonna care much about the early states in the hopes of netting lots of delegates from CA.

DL717 wrote:

Donating to her campaign has a better ROI than the GoFundMe for the wall...BTW, how's that going?

If you’re going to come back with something, at least make it a good one.

Dutchy

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:57 pm

Too early for a serious candidate?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

zkojq

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:12 pm

Just watch as the establishment media and corporate democrats do everything in their power to make her the candidate and do all they can to marginalise + silence progressive candidates like Elizabeth Warren.
First to fly the 787-9

mham001

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:36 pm

zkojq wrote:
Just watch as the establishment media and corporate democrats do everything in their power to make her the candidate and do all they can to marginalise + silence progressive candidates like Elizabeth Warren.

That is how she was elected to the Senate (we had no real choices because of the Democratic party). Somebody said something about an "impressive" record. She doesn't have one of any substance. But that is how Obama was elected, running for President the day he earned his first legislative post. EVERYTHING Harris does will be choreographed for the media.

casinterest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:38 pm

mham001 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

That is how she was elected to the Senate (we had no real choices because of the Democratic party). Somebody said something about an "impressive" record. She doesn't have one of any substance. But that is how Obama was elected, running for President the day he earned his first legislative post. EVERYTHING Harris does will be choreographed for the media.

And this is unlike the Bankruptcy King Trump how?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

mham001

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:51 pm

casinterest wrote:
mham001 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Unlike Obama and Harris (and Hillary too btw), I don't recall the RNC ramming Trump through the primaries.

Dieuwer

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:55 pm

zkojq wrote:

Did I miss something? How is Kamala Harris NOT progressive?

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:10 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
zkojq wrote:

She's a crime hawk for starters. Not a lot of experience apart from working as a DA and regularly pushed for unreasonably harsh sentencing, particularly in election years.

Between that and not having any particular progressive bona fides, it's hard to see her as a true left wing candidate. Ever center right would be pushing it.

About the best thing you could hope for with her is a decent Supreme Court spread (since those would have to be approved by a more left wing Legislature).

Still, if it comes to that, I'll take her over more of this GOP mess.

Not even a contest there.
It’s perfectly natural to be surprised by something coming at you faster than light. You’d never see it coming anyway. . .

casinterest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 pm

mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
mham001 wrote:

Unlike Obama and Harris (and Hillary too btw), I don't recall the RNC ramming Trump through the primaries.

Why will it be choreographed? You are watching the DNC do something smarter than they did in 2008 and 2016. They are going to run a ton of candidates. They are going to get Trump so worked up thwrowing out lies and insults and racist garbage that people will work to select the candidate that will carry the mantle of the USA back to the 21st century, instead of the current despicable backwards peddling Trump is doing.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:18 pm

mham001 wrote:
I don't recall the RNC ramming Trump through the primaries.

No. They were quite the opposite: they tried to not have him run by making all the candidates sign a pledge to support the eventual nominee (which he declined to sign until it was clear he was ahead in the polls and then withdrew because his feelings).

But you know what? I'd rather the establishment attempt to ram through a candidate. At least I know where they stand. The sudden 180 the RNC did with Trump, where GOP officials made no attempt to cover their disgust with Trump to now being the all-time butt kisser, shows where they stand on principle. Even their silence speaks volumes.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

mham001

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 pm

casinterest wrote:
mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Why will it be choreographed? You are watching the DNC do something smarter than they did in 2008 and 2016. They are going to run a ton of candidates. They are going to get Trump so worked up thwrowing out lies and insults and racist garbage that people will work to select the candidate that will carry the mantle of the USA back to the 21st century, instead of the current despicable backwards peddling Trump is doing.

Running lots of candidates is not the DNC doing. The Senate election in California was extremely choreographed.

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:40 pm

casinterest wrote:
They are going to get Trump so worked up thwrowing out lies and insults and racist garbage that people will work to select the candidate that will carry the mantle of the USA back to the 21st century, instead of the current despicable backwards peddling Trump is doing.

Right. But the problem is that his audience likes that noise. Look at all the mental acrobatics being attempted by all those garbage people, attempting to justify everything from a wall they can't be honest about the cost of to parking a rapist on the Dupreme Court.

There was no hand wringing there. Just a thing somewhere between doubling down on their general assholery and a genuine enjoyment of being terrible.

The more he gets fired up, the more these people will feel validated and excused for their own asinine views. And they'll come out to vote, just like they did the last time.

I'm past being amazed that people can defend this guy; in my universe it's on the same level as any other natural disaster.

Anyway... I'm not saying we should spend one second worrying about his reactions or that it's a reason not to run a diversified field. It isn't.

I just don't share any optimism that his histrionics will turn enough people off. This will be an uphill fight. It's winnable, but their blatant racism and nationalistic xenophobia won't scare people into voting Democratic all by itself.
It’s perfectly natural to be surprised by something coming at you faster than light. You’d never see it coming anyway. . .

DL717

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:43 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
zkojq wrote:

She's a crime hawk for starters. Not a lot of experience apart from working as a DA and regularly pushed for unreasonably harsh sentencing, particularly in election years.

Between that and not having any particular progressive bona fides, it's hard to see her as a true left wing candidate. Ever center right would be pushing it.

About the best thing you could hope for with her is a decent Supreme Court spread (since those would have to be approved by a more left wing Legislature).

Well, she was Willie Browns mistress and has her fair share of questionable behavior. She says she cherishes America’s values. I suppose being mistress qualifies. She was actually a crappy DA, corrupt might be a better word.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... rodeo.html
Last edited by DL717 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

trpmb6

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:45 am

Didnt we have another thread started for this?

Harris is already being attacked for her past as AG. Going to be tough for her to overcome that.

DL717

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:46 am

trpmb6 wrote:

Harris is already being attacked for her past as AG. Going to be tough for her to overcome that.

Oh but this is so much fun. Thread after thread of excitement!

rivetremover

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:48 am

DL717 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

I know I'm looking forward to all the fun threads! 2020 is going to be so much FUN!

Why was her AG tenure controversial?

WarRI1

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 am

Running another woman will be a big mistake in my opinion. The Rednecks will smell blood and pander to that crowd, hidden and in plain sight. It is the hidden as we found out in 2016 and this Moron we have in office.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 am

rivetremover wrote:

Why was her AG tenure controversial?

She fought for the wrong team in Brown v Plata involvong prison reform in CA. After she lost, Harris appealed the decision on grounds that if forced to release these inmates early, prisons would lose an important labor pool. The prisoners were earning between 8 and 37 cents per hour.

Strike One...

Then there's the Daniel Larsen case, where she used every tool at her disposal to knowingly keep an innocent man locked up.

Strike Two...

In 2015, she defended convictions secured by prosecutors' literally cut-pasting false confessions together, withholding evidence, and committing prosecutorial perjury. She was damned near censured for that one.

Swing and a miss...

In general, these are things that right wingers of course completely approve of. But she isn't running on that ticket, and this takes a lot away from an otherwise fairly standard liberal platform.

As I said before, she's still clearly better than allowing trump another four years of that clown show, but if we can find someone better, we should.

trpmb6

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:36 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

In general, these are things that right wingers of course completely approve of. But she isn't running on that ticket, and this takes a lot away from an otherwise fairly standard liberal platform.

As I said before, she's still clearly better than allowing trump another four years of that clown show, but if we can find someone better, we should.

Just couldn't resist taking a swipe.. in general those are NOT principles I hold.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:53 am

trpmb6 wrote:
in general those are NOT principles I hold.

Then don't vote for people who do.

stl07

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:05 am

trpmb6 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Just couldn't resist taking a swipe.. in general those are NOT principles I hold.

But you are actually a sensible person
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

bgm

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:22 am

DL717 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

You must be moist with excitement.

Her history as AG isn't great, as others have pointed out. But let's be realistic: the bar has been set so incredibly low due to piece of junkfood trash currently in the WH, I reckon she has a chance. At this point, I would even be happy if a moderate Republican ran against him and won.

ltbewr

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:52 am

As a person who has studied and interested in politics since I was a child, I am disgusted with the way we conduct our process for choosing our USA President. It takes too long, costs too much money, candidates pander the outermost wings of their party and special interests, the media covers it like a huge horse race, leads to some awful people running for and ending up in office for both parties and no realistic opportunity for a 3rd Party candidate. In many countries with an elected executive, the campaigns last 2 months, campaign funding is much lower, there is not the 'horse race' coverage, parties can keep out incompetent candidates, although there is a lot of pandering to special interests and party wings.

I would love to see major reforms. That our Presidential state primaries cannot start until April 1st and end by June 1st, and among the first is a good sized and 'looks like America' state with a racial and economic mix that is a crosssection of America (like Ohio), not a farm (Iowa) or tiny state (NH). Primary campaigning and fundraising cannot start until Feb. 1st. Only campaign contributions from individuals and capped at $1000, in the primaries and general elections and no special access to candidates by rich and corporate interests from such contributions. If holding a Federal office have to still do their job or resign to run. That the news media give equal time to candidates, limit the quantity of campaign ads and broadcasters can keep out ads that have offensive content. Offer several debates to be operated by neutral groups not by the networks or media companies. Parties thoroughly vet candidates for personal behaviors so no surprises and mandate disclosure of personal income tax returns and certain financial records for the previous 10 years. Conventions much smaller, shorter and not sponsored by major corporations.
I know I can dream, but something must be done to improve our system to keep out the next Donald Trump or Bill Clinton.

zkojq

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
How is Kamala Harris NOT progressive?

Feel free to list her progressive credentials.

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

:checkmark:

I don't dislike her, but when the establishment Democrats and the political establishment (New York Times + Washington Post) are doing all they can to support her, I take that as a very bad sign.

casinterest wrote:

Well I hope so, a really wide ranging primary would be good for the party. I just hope that they don't try to rig it for their favored candidate. Thankfully none of the big name democratic candidates have any serious baggage, unlike Hillary.

Harris might have not have had the most stellar prosecutor career, but at least the right wing conspiracy wackos don't think that she's personally murdered an old friend.

ltbewr wrote:
I would love to see major reforms. That our Presidential state primaries cannot start until April 1st and end by June 1st, and among the first is a good sized and 'looks like America' state with a racial and economic mix that is a crosssection of America (like Ohio), not a farm (Iowa) or tiny state (NH). Primary campaigning and fundraising cannot start until Feb. 1st. Only campaign contributions from individuals and capped at $1000, in the primaries and general elections and no special access to candidates by rich and corporate interests from such contributions. If holding a Federal office have to still do their job or resign to run. That the news media give equal time to candidates, limit the quantity of campaign ads and broadcasters can keep out ads that have offensive content. Offer several debates to be operated by neutral groups not by the networks or media companies. Parties thoroughly vet candidates for personal behaviors so no surprises and mandate disclosure of personal income tax returns and certain financial records for the previous 10 years. Conventions much smaller, shorter and not sponsored by major corporations.
I know I can dream, but something must be done to improve our system to keep out the next Donald Trump or Bill Clinton.

Good idea.

Here we have a legally mandated electoral period of six weeks in the runup to the election. Campaigning, political ads and all the rest of that nonsense is strictly prohibited outside of that period.
First to fly the 787-9

KICT
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:25 pm

TFW Kamala Harris has been vetted more in 24 hours than the GOP did with Trump in 12+ months.
So much winning.
People are saying. Believe me.

slider

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:28 pm

Among all the candidates who have announced or will run, I wonder how many won't be utter leftist lunatics. Kamala Harris is another one.

So far, Gabbard may be the only one that isn't a zealot.

bgm

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:40 pm

slider wrote:
Among all the candidates who have announced or will run, I wonder how many won't be utter leftist lunatics. Kamala Harris is another one.

So far, Gabbard may be the only one that isn't a zealot.

How exactly is Kamala Harris a 'left wing lunatic'? Please do elaborate.

apodino

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 pm

One issue that Harris is going to have to deal with was during a recent hearing for a Trump judge, Harris questioned a nominee about his membership in the Knights of Columbus, which is a prominent Catholic organization, and by doing so demonstrated what many people felt was anti catholic bigotry. Why this is important is because the Latino population in the country is heavily Catholic, and many important states in the process, such as Wisconsin are very heavily Catholic. You can be sure that this apparent anti catholic bigotry from Harris will be used against her on the campaign trail.

casinterest

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:58 pm

apodino wrote:
One issue that Harris is going to have to deal with was during a recent hearing for a Trump judge, Harris questioned a nominee about his membership in the Knights of Columbus, which is a prominent Catholic organization, and by doing so demonstrated what many people felt was anti catholic bigotry. Why this is important is because the Latino population in the country is heavily Catholic, and many important states in the process, such as Wisconsin are very heavily Catholic. You can be sure that this apparent anti catholic bigotry from Harris will be used against her on the campaign trail.

I don't think she was demonstrating anit-catholic bigotry. The bigger issue is whether the knights remain a social extension of the Catholic church or become political in and of themselves. I have seen Knights of Columbus members who are extremely political, and the line is very blurry as to whether they are acting as a Knight or as a personal protest when they block abortion centers or march for Church Marriage.
Outside of those items, the KofC are very socially active and benevolent. Pancake breakfasts, blood drives, donations to multiple charities, food banks, shelters, helping the poor or disabled within a church.

Harris probably stepped on quite a bit of toes, and I think she should recognize as most should that there should be a line between constitutional government ruling and a persons's personal church feelings.
There is a lot of distrust currently in Trump's appointees as he doesn't seem to recognize mush about the constitution.

ER757

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 pm

The field is already pretty crowded on the Democratic side and we're a long way out. Much like the GOP horse race in 2016. Remember the early debates? There was something like 16 people.
I don't think any of the already announced candidates would stand much of a chance of winning in 2020 with the possible exception of Castro. Let's see who else throws their hat in the ring.
On the flip side, I really hope some Republican with cajones mounts a primary challenge to Trump

727LOVER

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:01 pm

ER757 wrote:
The field is already pretty crowded on the Democratic side

Who's running so far? Gotta say it's ridiculous to be running this early.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

casinterest

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:46 pm

727LOVER wrote:
ER757 wrote:
The field is already pretty crowded on the Democratic side

Who's running so far? Gotta say it's ridiculous to be running this early.

Well it is a bit early, but you have to have a game going by June. Even Trump had declared by June of 2015.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:57 pm

Here we have a legally mandated electoral period of six weeks in the runup to the election. Campaigning, political ads and all the rest of that nonsense is strictly prohibited outside of that period.

God knows we don’t want any of that free speech, free association and redress of grievances going on that wasn’t approved.

GF

salttee

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:38 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
In 2015, she defended convictions secured by prosecutors' literally cut-pasting false confessions together, withholding evidence, and committing prosecutorial perjury. She was damned near censured for that one.

She has been on my radar screen for a long time for that kind of activity as the DA in San Francisco. IMO she had ensconced herself into and at the head of the old boy network in the SF Superior court. The public defender's office was in regular outrage at some of the dirty tricks being used by the DA's office back then. IMO her, or her people, were engaging in unethical relationships with some of the judges.

Can you tell me more about this 2015 episode? I'd like to find it so I can learn the details.

bgm

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:29 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

God knows we don’t want any of that free speech, free association and redress of grievances going on that wasn’t approved.

GF

How about being free from the circus/dramafest of the elections up until 6 weeks beforehand? How refreshing!

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:55 am

salttee wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

She has been on my radar screen for a long time for that kind of activity as the DA in San Francisco. IMO she had ensconced herself into and at the head of the old boy network in the SF Superior court. The public defender's office was in regular outrage at some of the dirty tricks being used by the DA's office back then. IMO her, or her people, were engaging in unethical relationships with some of the judges.

I think that's more or less the case. I don't know what her relationships with the judges were like, but that wouldn't entirely surprise me.

I just think it's really a shame. We have all these people that like her platform principals, which is fair enough. But it really is unfortunate that every time I learn more about her, she appears more and more illiberal in action. Where it counts.

salttee wrote:
Can you tell me more about this 2015 episode? I'd like to find it so I can learn the details.

Not Pretty. The case is from 2013 originally. The guy was charged with child molestation; already a very serious offense. The prosecutor on the case falsified a confession, lied about the conversation he'd had with the defense atty, and did so in a case where he knew it was unlikely the defendant was guilty (at least of that offense.)

The case was thrown out, but Kamala brought it back up for appeal and sought to keep the Prosecutor involved from so much as being sanctioned by the court (over an event that should have cost him his license and freedom). She was successful in this.

https://observer.com/2015/03/california ... onfession/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... /24611623/

This woman is not who most of us think she is, or want her to be.

I'll stand by that I'll take her over trump, but only in the way that I'd accept a Mountain Lion prowling around the neighborhood over an injection of diptheria. It's a sad commentary that trump and his market are literally that much worse.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:04 pm

bgm wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

How about being free from the circus/dramafest of the elections up until 6 weeks beforehand? How refreshing!

Paying the least attention to them is a personal decision. Don’t encourage them.

Joe Biden just got caught getting $200,000 recommending a Republican candidate last election. These narcissistic, egotistic, idiotic empty suits and skirts should never have the least bit of power or access to our money and lives. But lazy people continue to be bribed with their own money.

GF

salttee

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:24 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Joe Biden just got caught getting $200,000 recommending a Republican candidate last election. These narcissistic, egotistic, idiotic empty suits and skirts should never have the least bit of power or access to our money and lives. But lazy people continue to be bribed with their own money.

GF

Got caught?

He gave a speech at a very public event.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Well, it just made the Paper of Record, aka New York Times, aka Pravda for the Upper West Side.

GF

NIKV69

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:25 am

DL717 wrote:

Yep she is basically doing this to sell books. A far left fringe candidate from SF who even Feinstein got mad at when she wouldn't seek the death penalty for a cop killer.

Ohio will not approve.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.