digjake
Topic Author

Lawn mower or weed eater

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi guys! I wanted to ask you a question but it is really more home maintenance question so I hope I am in the right place. I need to buy a lawnmower because my old one broke. I am a lazy person, I am not ashamed to admit that, and every time I had to pull a lawnmower out of the garage I was devastated. So, now that it is broken I have a chance to go with something much simpler and I decided to go with a trimmer. I was looking at weed eater hero and I have found out that there are different types of trimmers. I have decided I will rule out the gas trimmers because you have to maintain it often and I will go with electric ones.
Now, my question is; battery operated or corded? Which one does to job better?

rivetremover

Re: Lawn mower or weed eater

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:33 pm

If you're lazy then using a trimmer over a mower is going in the wrong direction. They are always more work.

That said, how many square feet do you have to cut? How many linear feet do you have to trim?

Unless its hundreds of feet I'd just go with a battery operated one and get a couple extra ones so you never run out of juice.

casinterest

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:01 pm

If you think Corded or Battery Operated weed eater is better for you than a Gas one, and you think any of those is better than a lawn mower, then I think you should hire a service. You have admitted to being lazy, so this means you do not want more work. So stop working and start paying. you will have more time to yourself, and your lawn will look better.
Where ever you go, there you are.

BartSimpson

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:15 pm

When I read "weed eater" I thought of this:

That would be the way to go!

dtw2hyd

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm

A string trimmer(weed eater) can complement lawnmower, not a substitute. Way too much work and uneven cut kill grass.

There are trimmer/mowers
https://www.drpower.com/power-equipment ... gIKm_D_BwE

Buy battery powered lawn mower if you want less maintenance. There are mowers with 40v-80v batteries, really eco-friendly.

mham001

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:29 pm

it depends on the size of your lawn. And your expectations for how it looks. Anything electric is better, maintaining seasonal motors is a huge pain. Battery or cord also depends on the size of your lawn. I have my guy use his trimmer on the backyard because it is easier for him than dragging the big mower around.

Aesma

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Husqvarna Automower for the win.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 pm

digjake wrote:
Hi guys! I wanted to ask you a question but it is really more home maintenance question so I hope I am in the right place. I need to buy a lawnmower because my old one broke. I am a lazy person, I am not ashamed to admit that, and every time I had to pull a lawnmower out of the garage I was devastated. So, now that it is broken I have a chance to go with something much simpler and I decided to go with a trimmer. I was looking at weed eater hero and I have found out that there are different types of trimmers. I have decided I will rule out the gas trimmers because you have to maintain it often and I will go with electric ones.
Now, my question is; battery operated or corded? Which one does to job better?

I have a Sthil gas trimmer which I use 10-15 times per year and have never had it serviced in 12 years. It’s an excellent trimmer but I wouldn’t want to use it to trim my entire law, that would take forever and then I’d have to rake up all the clippings.

Flighty

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:47 pm

I am considering a battery powered mower. family members have the expensive Black & Decker one.

For gas mowers, Honda/Toro are the choice.

The poster who said "size of lawn" is correct. For smaller, you go battery electric. For midrange, premium gasoline (and use premium gas). Larger than around... 0.75 acre, you really need a riding lawnmower. It's amazing how much smoother everything like old boats, mowers run on premium.

DeutchLund

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:39 am

Flighty wrote:
I am considering a battery powered mower. family members have the expensive Black & Decker one.

For gas mowers, Honda/Toro are the choice.

The poster who said "size of lawn" is correct. For smaller, you go battery electric. For midrange, premium gasoline (and use premium gas). Larger than around... 0.75 acre, you really need a riding lawnmower. It's amazing how much smoother everything like old boats, mowers run on premium.

Premium gas is good but the most important thing is no ethanol! Especially if you're leaving it in a shed that gets warm and cold because water will form in the tank. No ethanol helps.

FatCat

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:02 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
When I read "weed eater" I thought of this:

That would be the way to go!

Also:

Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right