Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

apodino
Topic Author

How is Mitch McConnell still in power?

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:52 am

Prior to the shutdown ending and during this mess I was thinking about this. Paul Ryan as speaker had the votes to get a lot of things done in the House. The problem is McConnell could have changed the senate rules or maneuvered to get these bills passed in the Senate and he never did. McConnell could have gotten the wall built prior to the new House taking over and yet he refused. The Shutdown happened as a result in my opinion because of this. And its not just this. Its a long list of things. The biggest being that you can easily pass 13 separate appropriations bills, but yet McConnell wouldn't allow them to be considered individually. Conservatives and right leaning voters hate McConnell. The only thing he has been effective at is getting Judicial Nominees through.

At the same time McConnell has also been against any effort to reign in big money influence in Campaigns. The Money that has corrupted many people in washington including himself. He is not a likeable person at all. And at the same time, during the shutdown, he could have stopped the entire thing if he had allowed a vote on the bill the house had passed, which I firmly believe would have passed the Senate with a veto proof majority. This would have been much better for Trump as he could have Vetoed it saying he wanted the wall, and could have still blamed congress for not giving it to him. At the same time, McConnell went AWOL and stayed away from the table instead of working to end the shutdown.

So my question is this. McConnell is hated by the Right, and hated by the Left, and is a very inneffective leader in the Senate. His job approval rating is very low. How has he managed to stay in power despite being so hated and inneffective? Why does Kentucky keep sending him back? And might someone actually primary him next year when his senate seat comes up? The perfect candidate I would love to see against McConnell is Jenean Hampton. If she primaries McConnell she will be hard to beat in the general where I think McConnell could lose. She would be the first African American Woman from the south since reconstruction to be elected to the Senate. And she would help bring some diversity to a party that needs some in my opinion. (Black GOP candidates last election cycle lost a House Race in New Hampshire, a Senate Race in Michigan, and saw an ouster when Mia Love was ousted from her house seat.)

Jouhou

Re: How is Mitch McConnell still in power?

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:42 am

apodino wrote:

At the same time McConnell has also been against any effort to reign in big money influence in Campaigns. The Money that has corrupted many people in washington including himself.

Against it? He helped dismantle the campaign finance regulations that the citizens united v. FEC ruling finished off!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McConnell_v._FEC

A bit of an understatement, if you ask me.

He was a HUGE part of why politics have gotten so much more corrupt in recent years.

It's also why he's so keen on packing the judiciary. They tell their voters they are packing the courts with these justices because they are pro-life and pro-2nd amendment.

They're actually packing courts with these so called "conservative" justices because they've made it clear they will rule against campaign finance regulation. What voters think the supreme court packing is about is not what it is actually about. It's not about some stupid culture war shit, it's about keeping bribery legal.
情報

Berevoff

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:59 am

He's not hated by the people who matter and his opponents he's running against are less popular than he is.

He brings back the bacon for his state and has been an extremely effective leader in the Senate believe it or not. He's navigated dealing with Trump and the Tea Party (when they were a thing) pretty well all said and done. Now not so much but during the Obama and early Trump year he was actually really good.

One reason they aren't changing the rules of the Senate is because when you change them now you also change them when you aren't in power- which he sees coming. Look at how its come back to bite the Democrats when they changed the rules during Obama's tenure and now the Republicans can vote in judges with a simple majority, which is their real only agenda because its the one that really matters. Total nightmare scenario.

johns624

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:54 pm

Because nobody else wants the job?

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Jouhou wrote:
apodino wrote:

At the same time McConnell has also been against any effort to reign in big money influence in Campaigns. The Money that has corrupted many people in washington including himself.

Against it? He helped dismantle the campaign finance regulations that the citizens united v. FEC ruling finished off!

He was a HUGE part of why politics have gotten so much more corrupt in recent years.

It's also why he's so keen on packing the judiciary. They tell their voters they are packing the courts with these justices because they are pro-life and pro-2nd amendment.

They're actually packing courts with these so called "conservative" justices because they've made it clear they will rule against campaign finance regulation. What voters think the supreme court packing is about is not what it is actually about. It's not about some stupid culture war shit, it's about keeping bribery legal.

The Senate and President are NOT packing the courts; they are filling valid established vacancies. The Dems eliminated the cloture rule to “pack” the courts with their appointments; now it’s coming back to bite the,. They were warned and went stupid.

GF

Jouhou

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:14 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
apodino wrote:

The Senate and President are NOT packing the courts; they are filling valid established vacancies. The Dems eliminated the cloture rule to “pack” the courts with their appointments; now it’s coming back to bite the,. They were warned and went stupid.

GF

He blocked Obama appointments for at least a year. He openly brags about packing the courts. Gorsuch and Kavanaugh both rode a wave of corporate money in, they've both indicated they would rule campaign finance legislation unconstitutional because of money being free speech, which is an absolute monstrous distortion of the constitution, which explicity forbids bribery of officials in any form.

"Constitutional originalists" my ass, they just want to sell the country out for a few dollars.
情報

WarRI1

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:04 am

Look to his supporters and the voters , they actually support this man obviously. I find him despicable, the epitome of the well dressed Red Neck. It may well be regional, my opinion.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Tugger

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 am

How is Mitch McConnell still in power?

People asked the same about Pelosi.... The answer is A.) they know how to play the political backroom power game.
And B.):
johns624 wrote:
Because nobody else wants the job?

Not many people can actually do the job or do it well. It is basically thankless.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

ER757

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:17 am

His situation is a microcosm of Congress in general. Everyone complains about what a crappy job they do (see their approval ratings over the years) yet the same old cronies keep getting re-elected. Everyone thinks, "congress sucks, but my guy is ok." NO - your guy is part of the problem!
Until voters impose term limits by voting against incumbents (because Lord knows they'll never put term limits in place themselves) things won't change. Personally, I haven't voted for an incumbent in the past four election cycles.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:20 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Look to his supporters and the voters , they actually support this man obviously. I find him despicable, the epitome of the well dressed Red Neck. It may well be regional, my opinion.

Yes, we wouldn’t want ANYONE from south of the Hudson River having any powers, now would we? Like my wife, you probably believe the rednecks begin at New Jersey.

GF

WarRI1

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:22 am

ER757 wrote:
His situation is a microcosm of Congress in general. Everyone complains about what a crappy job they do (see their approval ratings over the years) yet the same old cronies keep getting re-elected. Everyone thinks, "congress sucks, but my guy is ok." NO - your guy is part of the problem!
Until voters impose term limits by voting against incumbents (because Lord knows they'll never put term limits in place themselves) things won't change. Personally, I haven't voted for an incumbent in the past four election cycles.

If the Republicans would run somebody not a right wing robot, maybe I would vote across the aisle like I sometimes did years ago, nope same old shit, anti Abortion, anti women's rights, cut cut social programs, kill unions, give tax cuts to the wealthy, open charter schools etc and etc. They do not have an original thought to themselves here and elsewhere, they vote like Robots. :banghead:

seb146

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:51 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The Senate and President are NOT packing the courts; they are filling valid established vacancies.

ummmm.... That is not the tune you all were singing in March 2016 or for much of Obama's presidency for that matter......
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

WarRI1

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:59 am

seb146 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The Senate and President are NOT packing the courts; they are filling valid established vacancies.

ummmm.... That is not the tune you all were singing in March 2016 or for much of Obama's presidency for that matter......

Commonly called Hypocrisy.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:40 am

I wasnt even here posting during Obama’s time, so go bark up another tree.

GF

seb146

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:20 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I wasnt even here posting during Obama’s time, so go bark up another tree.

GF

I wasn't pointing directly at you, but if you take that much offense to what I said, maybe there is some truth to it. Just sayin'

Q

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:31 am

We should force him to resigned and enough to hear all craps about Mitch.

Q

Jouhou

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:47 am

Q wrote:
We should force him to resigned and enough to hear all craps about Mitch.

Q

A user named "Q" who has been here 19 years. Please give your opinion in all the political threads so we can see how the fringe conservatives in here react. Make sure they know Mitch and Trump are the real deep state.
情報

cledaybuck

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:15 am

WarRI1 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

If the Republicans would run somebody not a right wing robot, maybe I would vote across the aisle like I sometimes did years ago, nope same old shit, anti Abortion, anti women's rights, cut cut social programs, kill unions, give tax cuts to the wealthy, open charter schools etc and etc. They do not have an original thought to themselves here and elsewhere, they vote like Robots. :banghead:

To be fair, they did run someone who is not a right wing robot. He is president now, and their “deeply held beliefs” have changed significantly.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 am

WarRI1 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

Like all good liberal zealots, you just want anyone who doesn’t agree with you or hold different ideas/opinions to either surrender or die. So tolerant until you actually run into different ideas and are shocked that it’s posdibke.

GF

2122M

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:31 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

Like all good liberal zealots, you just want anyone who doesn’t agree with you or hold different ideas/opinions to either surrender or die. So tolerant until you actually run into different ideas and are shocked that it’s posdibke.

GF

I don’t think he said anything about anyone dying...

But if we ignore your hyperbole, it seems like you are really just upset that liberals have an opinion. Of course liberals want liberal ideals to win the day, just Ike conservatives just want conservative ideals to reign supreme. I think that’s called politics. I highly doubt the liberals you hate so much are any less tolerant of conservative values than you are tolerant of liberal ideals...

Stop being sooooo shocked that people are disagreeing with you. If you want to bolster your case with facts and figures, go for it, but don’t pretend to be pissed that people disagree with you.

salttee

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:39 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

GF
Like all good rightwing fascist zealots, you just want anyone who doesn’t agree with you or hold different ideas/opinions to either surrender or die. So tolerant until you actually run into different ideas and are shocked that it’s possible.

See how that works?

CitizenJustin

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:06 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Yes, we wouldn’t want ANYONE from south of the Hudson River having any powers, now would we? Like my wife, you probably believe the rednecks begin at New Jersey.

GF

“Yes, we wouldn’t want anyone from the south or the Hudson River having any powers, now would we?”

Precisely.

Not when their regressive beliefs have devastating consequences for the most vulnerable citizens.

Berevoff

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:25 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

GF

“Yes, we wouldn’t want anyone from the south or the Hudson River having any powers, now would we?”

Precisely.

Not when their regressive beliefs have devastating consequences for the most vulnerable citizens.

How can we go about denying them the right to vote though? If we can't do it legally how can we prevent them from doing so anyway?

Jouhou

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:44 pm

Berevoff wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Precisely.

How can we go about denying them the right to vote though? If we can't do it legally how can we prevent them from doing so anyway?

This discussion is ironic considering that states in the southeastern US have some of the worst voter suppression laws in place. Their issue isn't that people vote, it's that they selectively prevent certain populations from voting essentially rigging elections in favor of the gop.
情報

Berevoff

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:37 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Berevoff wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Precisely.

This discussion is ironic considering that states in the southeastern US have some of the worst voter suppression laws in place. Their issue isn't that people vote, it's that they selectively prevent certain populations from voting essentially rigging elections in favor of the gop.

Well the Democrats need to start doing the same thing.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Berevoff wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Berevoff wrote:

The Democratic strategy is more... Democratic. Remove barriers from voting, and slap down any gop talk of made up "voter fraud" because that's what they use as an excuse to create voter suppression laws that disproportionately affect minorities.
情報

DL717

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Berevoff wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Precisely.

Kind of like shaming people from supporting a candidate by calling them a racist, bigot or homophobe right?
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

EstherLouise

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:36 pm

I just wonder what's in the water in yeehaw Tennessee that make people keep re-electing him. BTW.... Did you ever notice that McConnell refuses to wear turtleneck sweaters?
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:04 pm

He’s the senior senator from Kentucky, why would Tennessee get a vote?

GF

Jouhou

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:05 pm

DL717 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Berevoff wrote:

Kind of like shaming people from supporting a candidate by calling them a racist, bigot or homophobe right?

Wtf is this. If you enthusiastically support a xenophobic policy, we will call it out for what it is. If you go on a tirade about how blacks, muslims, or immigrants are ruining the country with no evidence except for your own bias, we will call you out for what you are. In no way is that intended to shame you into voting for one candidate or the other. We know that's not going to change your political views.

The whole point of calling out xenophobia and racism is to let everyone know that makes the offender a terrible person in our judgement and we hope to hell there isn't an entire generation of youth growing up in a world where they think that's OK.
情報

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Berevoff wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

The Democratic strategy is more... Democratic. Remove barriers from voting, and slap down any gop talk of made up "voter fraud" because that's what they use as an excuse to create voter suppression laws that disproportionately affect minorities.

Yes, like the Chicago voter suppression...choosing your voters instead of voters choosing their government has a long-standing tradition.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-met-chicago-13th-ward-alderman-race-kass-20181206-story.html

cledaybuck

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:27 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

GF
You might want to check your geography. The Hudson runs north and south.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:36 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

GF
You might want to check your geography. The Hudson runs north and south.

Yeah, I wasn't going to bother with that geographical inaccuracy.
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Berevoff wrote:

Yes, like the Chicago voter suppression...choosing your voters instead of voters choosing their government has a long-standing tradition.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-met-chicago-13th-ward-alderman-race-kass-20181206-story.html

Paywall, and I doubt it would have convinced me of anything anyways.We already figured out Chicago is a conservative code word for black people ;) / (it's a joke before you flip out)
情報

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:22 am

Does not involve blacks at all, just how Madigan managed to sink a challenger to his favored candidate, but if you’ll let your prejudices rule,, enjoy.

The entire country is south and west of the Hudson River. You might look at a map yourself.

GF

WarRI1

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:36 am

2122M wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

GF

I don’t think he said anything about anyone dying...

But if we ignore your hyperbole, it seems like you are really just upset that liberals have an opinion. Of course liberals want liberal ideals to win the day, just Ike conservatives just want conservative ideals to reign supreme. I think that’s called politics. I highly doubt the liberals you hate so much are any less tolerant of conservative values than you are tolerant of liberal ideals...

Stop being sooooo shocked that people are disagreeing with you. If you want to bolster your case with facts and figures, go for it, but don’t pretend to be pissed that people disagree with you.

Well said, thinking people do have different views on things, Robots obviously do not.

cledaybuck

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:47 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Does not involve blacks at all, just how Madigan managed to sink a challenger to his favored candidate, but if you’ll let your prejudices rule,, enjoy.

The entire country is south and west of the Hudson River. You might look at a map yourself.

GF
Can we get rid of the current president, since apparently the entire country lies west of the Hudson River? That sounds good to me.

WarRI1

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:47 am

cledaybuck wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

To be fair, they did run someone who is not a right wing robot. He is president now, and their “deeply held beliefs” have changed significantly.

I agree, they did not, they ran a nut job who is a Master Liar, thief and Philanderer who may become the most crooked W.H. occupant ever along with the most corrupt administration as we see by the count going up of future prisoners in the Penal System. I will not mention the people fired and those who screwed out of the Madhouse to escape while they could.

cledaybuck

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:15 am

WarRI1 wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I agree, they did not, they ran a nut job who is a Master Liar, thief and Philanderer who may become the most crooked W.H. occupant ever along with the most corrupt administration as we see by the count going up of future prisoners in the Penal System. I will not mention the people fired and those who screwed out of the Madhouse to escape while they could.
Yeah, give the right wing robots if this is the alternative.

seb146

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:35 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

McConnell was elected by Kentucky after being selected by big pharma and big oil.

As far as African Americans being denied their legal right to vote, that happened in Republican states in heavily African American districts. But, please, do tell us how Republicans love non-whites....