Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69

Re: Schultz thinking of running as independent

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:53 am

I got to tell you I love this guy! I wish he had a chance. I would vote for him! Too bad the Dems will go hard left and blow it.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Jouhou

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:52 am

Magog wrote:
He’s definitely better than the lying racist Cheeto Drumpf.

Realistically, we need someone who can appeal to middle America, even if they are all racists. Schultz could be that guy.

Yeah, you're definitely working for the other team.

Having an independent (or green) run to split the vote is actually a strategy directly employed by the gop. They've been using it on the state level awhile now.

And that's what the liberal hate is about. We don't like vote splitters and ever since the gop started directly funding them anyone involved in politics already knows they're up to no good.
情報

NIKV69

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 am

StarAC17 wrote:

Bloomberg is another billionaire that has no chance either as he has already dug his political grave by saying legalizing weed would be stupid.
Memo to billionaires, if you don't want your taxes raised then be on board with legalizing and taxing weed and other drugs.

His stance on weed has nothing to do with it. Cuomo was against before he was for it. Bloomberg is an elite, Jewish businessman from NY. That doesn't play well in a general where you have to win OH etc and won't for a very long time. It's a shame he isn't a bad executive.
I am the Googlizer!!!

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:19 am

Jouhou wrote:
Magog wrote:

Realistically, we need someone who can appeal to middle America, even if they are all racists. Schultz could be that guy.

Having an independent (or green) run to split the vote is actually a strategy directly employed by the gop. They've been using it on the state level awhile now.

And that's what the liberal hate is about. We don't like vote splitters and ever since the gop started directly funding them anyone involved in politics already knows they're up to no good.

Here's the thing. We do need some of that to win. I'm not talking about the racists and illiterate garbage people. But places we've won before. Usually with the labor crowd. I think we have a chance at this moment (trump firing jobs overseas while making imports more expensive isn't helping that crowd).

But we are going to need somebody with appeal. While I would like nothing better than to see someone like Bernie or AOC get nominated (however I feel personally, the reactions they cause among the villainous alt-right/incel crowd are a very good sign), I'd agree that this is not the time. Not when the nation is up against the sort of psychotic banditry in charge now.

So yeah, while I'm normally all for vote splitters (at the Primary level anyway), this is not the time or place. We need someone with mass appeal (or mass live-with-ability failing that), and someone that the DNC can get everyone behind with a clear conscience after the convention.

Schultz will be done soon, so I'm not going to worry much about it.

Greens employed by the GOP... While it surprises me not a bit that they'd pull a stunt like that, I find it hard to imagine that someone like Stein would be ok being played like that. Consider the ego that these types need to waste time and money running what amounts to a hopeless vanity campaign. I don't know... Just doesn't seem like something you could easily get a Nader or Stein in on...
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

trpmb6

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:35 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Magog wrote:

Oh please. Both parties play the split vote game. Greg Orman helped Laura Kelly get elected Governor in Kansas, splitting off more moderate Republicans who weren't interested in Kobach.

The DNC and RNC *WANT* us to have this mentality of "we can't split the vote" because it gives them more power. As long as we follow that line we will never break the two party system.

Jouhou

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:22 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Magog wrote:

Here's the thing. We do need some of that to win. I'm not talking about the racists and illiterate garbage people. But places we've won before. Usually with the labor crowd. I think we have a chance at this moment (trump firing jobs overseas while making imports more expensive isn't helping that crowd).

But we are going to need somebody with appeal. While I would like nothing better than to see someone like Bernie or AOC get nominated (however I feel personally, the reactions they cause among the villainous alt-right/incel crowd are a very good sign), I'd agree that this is not the time. Not when the nation is up against the sort of psychotic banditry in charge now.

So yeah, while I'm normally all for vote splitters (at the Primary level anyway), this is not the time or place. We need someone with mass appeal (or mass live-with-ability failing that), and someone that the DNC can get everyone behind with a clear conscience after the convention.

Greens employed by the GOP... While it surprises me not a bit that they'd pull a stunt like that, I find it hard to imagine that someone like Stein would be ok being played like that. Consider the ego that these types need to waste time and money running what amounts to a hopeless vanity campaign. I don't know... Just doesn't seem like something you could easily get a Nader or Stein in on...

Stein is deep into intentional vote splitting... She's not even who I was talking about since evidence points to Russia employing her to split the vote.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wh ... in-n831261

情報

trpmb6

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:08 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Stein is deep into intentional vote splitting... She's not even who I was talking about since evidence points to Russia employing her to split the vote.

Oh this is rich (not directed at you Jouhou). Of course Russia would be interested in divisive politics and have an interest in a candidate that was outside of the norm DNC/RNC. In fact, I'm sure Russia loves the amount of time we're spending on all of this to begin with. Investigations and more money spent investigating their influence than russia spent trying to influence our election in the first place (by my guess).

Anyways, on the article, I loved this part:
an advocate of better relations with Russia
how easily we forget the Russian Reset that went on under the state department leadership of Sec. Clinton and Sec. Kerry.

Should be a fun couple years of investigations!

Edit to add: What still remains unclear about the voters who chose Stein is whether or not they would have turned up to vote at all if they had not had the choice to vote for her. Each vote for Stein may not necessarily translate to a vote for Clinton.

Jouhou

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:05 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Oh this is rich (not directed at you Jouhou). Of course Russia would be interested in divisive politics and have an interest in a candidate that was outside of the norm DNC/RNC. In fact, I'm sure Russia loves the amount of time we're spending on all of this to begin with. Investigations and more money spent investigating their influence than russia spent trying to influence our election in the first place (by my guess).

Anyways, on the article, I loved this part:
an advocate of better relations with Russia
how easily we forget the Russian Reset that went on under the state department leadership of Sec. Clinton and Sec. Kerry.

Should be a fun couple years of investigations!

Edit to add: What still remains unclear about the voters who chose Stein is whether or not they would have turned up to vote at all if they had not had the choice to vote for her. Each vote for Stein may not necessarily translate to a vote for Clinton.

The "Russian reset" was the idea of a naive new Obama administration. It didn't last long. Anti-Putin protests were blamed on Clinton and the US, as our resident Russians will tell you in the story of why Putin despises Clinton. It definitely hadn't lasted into 2015.

Also the investigation has been run extremely efficiently because it's mostly coordinating investigations already initiated by other law enforcement and counter intelligence agencies. The Mueller team has made a net gain so far recouping evaded taxes and seizing laundered money. And no, it's not just been Russia. It's been Turkey too... And there's a pt 2 of the investigation involving the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Israel.

Our elections have proven so insecure we attracted foreign influences like a magnet. It's bigger than the Trump and Stein campaign. We need to strengthen our defenses so we can feel confident we are electing our own leaders and it's only our own fellow citizens we are mad at when we don't like how our elections have careened off course. We need to be able to trust our elections.
Last edited by Jouhou on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
情報

NIKV69

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:15 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Schultz isn't a Stein or Nader. If you actually listen to him he is a Democrat that gets it and doesn't need to insult and call people racist and Hitler all the time. He actually should not be third party but running in the Democrat Primary but since he has no name recognition and not much flair he can't get any traction. It truly is a shame.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Jouhou

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:25 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Schultz isn't a Stein or Nader. If you actually listen to him he is a Democrat that gets it and doesn't need to insult and call people racist and Hitler all the time. He actually should not be third party but running in the Democrat Primary but since he has no name recognition and not much flair he can't get any traction. It truly is a shame.

He is literally the guy conservatives have been raging about for putting "happy holidays" on coffee cups for years. He has name recognition- as the Jewish guy conservatives expect to write "Merry Christmas" on his coffee cups and I'd laugh to myself every year at the conservative outrage at the "war on Christmas "
情報

trpmb6

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:45 pm

Jouhou wrote:

Our elections have proven so insecure we attracted foreign influences like a magnet. It's bigger than the Trump and Stein campaign. We need to strengthen our defenses so we can feel confident we are electing our own leaders and it's only our own fellow citizens we are mad at when we don't like how our elections have careened off course. We need to be able to trust our elections.

Is it that our elections are insecure or that people are gullible enough to follow information shared on social media?

I believe I saw an article the other day that suggested age was a bigger factor in determining who was duped by fake political social media postings than political affiliation. I believe younger generations are much more aware of the perils of the internet and it's ease of manipulation.

Jouhou

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:16 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Is it that our elections are insecure or that people are gullible enough to follow information shared on social media?

I believe I saw an article the other day that suggested age was a bigger factor in determining who was duped by fake political social media postings than political affiliation. I believe younger generations are much more aware of the perils of the internet and it's ease of manipulation.

Well, that is one factor. I've been absolutely amazed by how easily duped my parents generation is. I've had to real-time snopes my dad on some of the left wing disinformation out there (no, Trump never said he'd run as a Republican because republicans are stupid)

But there's the laws that are there and are just now being enforced after the damage was done, like FARA. We need to step up the enforcement of these laws. If the likes of Russia and Turkey can do this much damage, what is a powerful adversary like China doing? Which of our politicians have they bought? They most certainly have not sat out on this feeding frenzy on our politician's loyalty. I bet China has invested in both Ds and Rs and a Chinese influence investigation would seem more politically palatable due to both parties being impacted.
情報

trpmb6

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 pm

Agreed. I know there was some investigations into Sen. Feinstein, her different committee assignments and her interactions with various Chinese officials. I'm sure there are others we're not aware of.

I think it is naive for any of us to say that other states are not trying to influence our elections. If they weren't trying I'd say they're foolish. We do it all over the world. Just look at what Trump has done with Venezuela in the last week or two. The question is what are we to do about a foreign entity trying to influence an election one way or the other, and how do we handle that locally as well. Should a senator be held responsible for a foreign entity buying ads on the internet or television supporting them? Even if they have no knowledge or control of such thing? How to equip the public to better handle this type of stuff. What kind of laws can be enacted to prevent outside influence (yes some already exist but apparently are not enough)?

Anyways, that's a bit off topic. I'm still intrigued by Schultz, even though he had a rough start on his morning show circuit. Apparently doesn't know how much a box of cheerios costs. (In all honesty, I think he was just caught off guard by the question, I don't know how much an 18 oz box of cheerios is, probably something like 3 dollars. But maybe you got it for 2.50 on super saver day or something.) It's a gotcha question and he fell into the trap and looks out of touch for it. Even though I don't think many people expect a billionaire to go out and buy their own cheerios either.

Dieuwer

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:57 pm

I personally do not understand why Schultz running would be a problem. Since people know that "splitting the vote" is a sure way to lose the election, then one should not vote for Schultz. Seems rather self-evident.
Perhaps a lot of people are afraid that some liberals will vote for Schultz? But that would only be the case if they are completely clueless about the earlier point I was making (about the self-evidentness).

If you want to be worried about something, then be worried about people NOT showing up to vote (probably a larger fraction of the population than those that would theoretically vote for Schultz). I believe during lasts' election, only 30% of the Millennials showed up to vote. And then AFTERWARDS complain on Twitter or FB about Trump. Seriously.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:50 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
I personally do not understand why Schultz running would be a problem. Since people know that "splitting the vote" is a sure way to lose the election, then one should not vote for Schultz. Seems rather self-evident.
Perhaps a lot of people are afraid that some liberals will vote for Schultz? But that would only be the case if they are completely clueless about the earlier point I was making (about the self-evidentness).

If you want to be worried about something, then be worried about people NOT showing up to vote (probably a larger fraction of the population than those that would theoretically vote for Schultz). I believe during lasts' election, only 30% of the Millennials showed up to vote. And then AFTERWARDS complain on Twitter or FB about Trump. Seriously.

Great post. I have to say I was kind of struck by the Gary Johnson phenomenon and was surprised by people who supported him knowing he had no chance. I feel Schultz will bow to the pressure from the DNC at some point but man has he got them scared. I mean Poppy Harlow was basically yelling at him in the interview not to run. Wow!
I am the Googlizer!!!

PPVRA

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 am

I think the people who are trying to argue against independent candidates are just afraid their party will lose.

I say bring it on, even though I am not a huge fan of the guy’s politics.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Aesma

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:03 am

We'll see what you'll be saying when it's someone on the other side of the political spectrum talking about running as an independant.

Dieuwer : most people are clueless, isn't that self-evident ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

treetreeseven

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:42 am

Flighty wrote:
He knows more about everyday American concerns (as the mastermind behind Starbucks) than any Dem politician, probably. He understand the psychology of front line $12/hour employees and the customers. He also knows a lot about diplomacy. He knows the intimate geography of the USA. He knows how every city is doing.

Um. The guy is a billionaire and is so cheap he has $3 gift cards custom made for him to give out because $5 is the smallest retail denomination. I'm gonna have to pull [citation needed] on preeeeeetty much everything you just said.

Flighty wrote:
I have zero faith that party people or Donald Trump know anything about the state of the USA, but the founder and CEO of Starbucks? That guy? He knows a lot & would do a great job as president. Donald got very far on instincts alone - exposing the little or nothing that the Democrats know. They are imbeciles.

Yeahhhhhhhhh.

trpmb6 wrote:
Ok, so Schultz isn't getting much fan fare among our more liberal posters here (who happen to be some of the more active participants here). I'd like to know what you all DO like about him. So he doesn't support medicare for all. Is that a deal breaker for you? What else don't you like about him?

Absolutely nothing. This guy is 100% ego, 0% plan. If you're curious why the more liberal posters aren't interested in him, you could maybe start with the fact that he's a freaking billionaire who used his big debut to say "nah, taxing the rich isn't a good plan...." and "nah, single payer isn't a good plan..." and "nah, paid college isn't a good plan..." and critique all the major progressive figureheads. Okay... great? Except, nobody asked him, and nobody wants him. Next.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:46 pm

Did you consider Schultz might be right on his statements—that 160 million Americans aren’t willing to give up current health insurance, that you could confiscate all the income above $1 million and cover less than a year’s deficit and chase those millionaires away, subsidized college has only driven up tuitions.

GF

FTMCPIUS
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:47 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Magog wrote:

Instead of being so obsessed with the IQs of illiterate garbage people, maybe you should familiarize yourself with U.S. election law. AOC ain't old nuff to git nomantd.

stratosphere

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:40 am

Magog wrote:

The left would embrace this guy and love him..The only reason they hate him is he wants to run as an independant and I understand the anger he will most likely split the vote as we have seen in past elections. They hate Trump enough that anyone who poses a threat to that is the enemy

jetero

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:50 am

stratosphere wrote:
Magog wrote:

The left would embrace this guy and love him..The only reason they hate him is he wants to run as an independant and I understand the anger he will most likely split the vote as we have seen in past elections. They hate Trump enough that anyone who poses a threat to that is the enemy

Yes quelle surprise that members of a political party aren’t exactly jazzed about a former member running as an independent. It’s kind of a Reverse Bernie. Doesn’t make any logical sense whatsoever.