Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Topic Author
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:03 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... p-apology/

The Daily Telegraph wrote:
Following last Saturday’s (Jan 19) Telegraph magazine cover story “The mystery of Melania”, we have been asked to make clear that the article contained a number of false statements which we accept should not have been published.

As a mark of our regret we have agreed to pay Mrs Trump substantial damages as well as her legal costs.

Ker-ching $$$

1) Mrs Trump’s father was not a fearsome presence and did not control the family.

2) Mrs Trump did not leave her Design and Architecture course at University relating to the completion of an exam, as alleged in the article, but rather because she wanted to pursue a successful career as a professional model.

3) Mrs Trump was not struggling in her modelling career before she met Mr Trump, and she did not advance in her career due to the assistance of Mr Trump.


Anybody care to comment on any of that?
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
Magog
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:54 am

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Apparently they believed that she had a credible case against them, so they paid. There really isn’t much to discuss.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15715
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:30 pm

UK Libel laws are perhaps too restrictive. The USA's libel laws along with US Supreme Court decisions make it so there has to be real and intentional harm to the person with false statements. We also have it where Plaintiff's attorneys only get paid on contingency of a percentage of the settlement or Judgment so won't take borderline case with limited chances of winning. For sure the case Melana Trump brought in the UK really won't happen in the USA. The UK also doesn't have the same legal concept as the USA has as to Freedom of Speech and government can intervene and penalize publishers in only very limited ways.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14409
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:23 pm

With such laws you have to wonder how the trash that gets published in the UK doesn't have to pay compensation several times a day. I know it happens, but rarely.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23734
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:24 pm

I heard this report the other day and I have questions

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
1) Mrs Trump’s father was not a fearsome presence and did not control the family.


That is a matter of perspective. I would say that about my father. My brother, however, would say different.

2) Mrs Trump did not leave her Design and Architecture course at University relating to the completion of an exam, as alleged in the article, but rather because she wanted to pursue a successful career as a professional model.


Did she miss the exam because of a modeling appointment?

3) Mrs Trump was not struggling in her modelling career before she met Mr Trump, and she did not advance in her career due to the assistance of Mr Trump.


From the "modeling" gigs we have seen her in, I think it is safe to assume that he found her and that she was not having any trouble at all.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14330
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:35 pm

I love the choice of the word "gaffe" to describe a media outlet or outlets not doing their due diligence and going to print with statements that are not true. It's not a gaffe it's a calculated, premeditated effort to hurt and destroy people. We have seen numerous instances where media has published stories out of hatred toward individuals based on their skin color and backgrounds. Usually this destroys that persons lives with charges that are false and can't be taken back. The excuse that it was broke by another news outlet or the excuse of "we got it wrong" doesn't absolve them from their wrong doing. I am glad someone has to pay for this disgusting practice.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2340
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:38 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I love the choice of the word "gaffe" to describe a media outlet or outlets not doing their due diligence and going to print with statements that are not true. It's not a gaffe it's a calculated, premeditated effort to hurt and destroy people. We have seen numerous instances where media has published stories out of hatred toward individuals based on their skin color and backgrounds. Usually this destroys that persons lives with charges that are false and can't be taken back. The excuse that it was broke by another news outlet or the excuse of "we got it wrong" doesn't absolve them from their wrong doing. I am glad someone has to pay for this disgusting practice.


It’s a gaff, unless Fox News does it. Then it’s a criminal offense.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Topic Author
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:52 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
1) Mrs Trump’s father was not a fearsome presence and did not control the family.

seb146 wrote:
That is a matter of perspective. I would say that about my father. My brother, however, would say different.

More importantly, within your family you might hold certain views, but once an outsider start criticising, y'all rally round and tell them they're wrong.

2) Mrs Trump did not leave her Design and Architecture course at University relating to the completion of an exam, as alleged in the article, but rather because she wanted to pursue a successful career as a professional model.

seb146 wrote:
Did she miss the exam because of a modeling appointment?
I was more reminded of the time I ran into a thug with an AK-47; according to reports I ran away, but I maintain I had just remembered an urgent appointment at the dentist.

3) Mrs Trump was not struggling in her modelling career before she met Mr Trump, and she did not advance in her career due to the assistance of Mr Trump.

From the "modeling" gigs we have seen her in, I think it is safe to assume that he found her and that she was not having any trouble at all.

I've seen some soft-porn shoots, but I can't imagine she was going to be able to retire on the proceeds from them. On the other hand, Donald didn't need to lift a finger; merely being associated with him would get her some higher profile assignments. That's not direct assistance; that's just windfall.

The Telegraph would have been better claiming merely that she had profited from her connection to Trump.

Maybe that's exactly what they said; I wouldn't know. Just as with Orwell's 1984, the internet seems to have been re-written to delete any link to the original article. All I can find is pages of apologies. If you know how to track down the original text, I would be grateful.
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:36 pm

Over the past few months, several stories with incorrect information have proved to be quite damaging to the left. We can’t afford to keep hashing out these flawed stories. They’re fueling the right and they’ll use it to heir benefit in 2020.
 
bgm
Posts: 2535
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:45 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
Over the past few months, several stories with incorrect information have proved to be quite damaging to the left. We can’t afford to keep hashing out these flawed stories. They’re fueling the right and they’ll use it to heir benefit in 2020.


The Telegraph (affectionately known as the Torygraph) is a right wing paper aligned with the Conservative Party in the UK. But I agree with you in principle.
 
salttee
Posts: 3149
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:57 pm

If Melanija Knavs isn't a prostitute, the word "prostitute" has recently been redefined.

The darling if the moral majority. LOL!
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18715
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:33 pm

salttee wrote:
If Melanija Knavs isn't a prostitute, the word "prostitute" has recently been redefined.

The darling if the moral majority. LOL!

She's the only living Trump that has actually worked for the money.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
A3801000
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:56 pm

Image
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:15 pm

bgm wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
Over the past few months, several stories with incorrect information have proved to be quite damaging to the left. We can’t afford to keep hashing out these flawed stories. They’re fueling the right and they’ll use it to heir benefit in 2020.


The Telegraph (affectionately known as the Torygraph) is a right wing paper aligned with the Conservative Party in the UK. But I agree with you in principle.


Thanks for the clarification.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:28 pm

salttee wrote:
If Melanija Knavs isn't a prostitute, the word "prostitute" has recently been redefined.

The darling if the moral majority. LOL!


During the 2016 campaign, I clearly remember some Trump hounds holding up pictures of Melania, Ivanka, Hillary and Chelsea. They said “Who wants THAT(Hillary/Chelsea, when we can have THIS!(Melania/Ivanka)”

Apparently, an attractive First Lady and daughter is of utmost importance to them. Although there’s something quite cheap and sleazy about Melania. All of those $10,000 ensembles can’t change her very un-First Lady like past.

Dumb brutes.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:27 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
salttee wrote:
If Melanija Knavs isn't a prostitute, the word "prostitute" has recently been redefined.

The darling if the moral majority. LOL!


During the 2016 campaign, I clearly remember some Trump hounds holding up pictures of Melania, Ivanka, Hillary and Chelsea. They said “Who wants THAT(Hillary/Chelsea, when we can have THIS!(Melania/Ivanka)”

Apparently, an attractive First Lady and daughter is of utmost importance to them. Although there’s something quite cheap and sleazy about Melania. All of those $10,000 ensembles can’t change her very un-First Lady like past.

Dumb brutes.


Wouldn't a more appropriate comparison be Melania vs Bill :duck:

I've never really understood the fascination with the first lady/brosband (hat tip Seb) position. I guess they have a role in meeting foreign dignitaries and what not.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Melania payday thanks to Telegraph gaffe

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 am

trpmb6 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
salttee wrote:
If Melanija Knavs isn't a prostitute, the word "prostitute" has recently been redefined.

The darling if the moral majority. LOL!


During the 2016 campaign, I clearly remember some Trump hounds holding up pictures of Melania, Ivanka, Hillary and Chelsea. They said “Who wants THAT(Hillary/Chelsea, when we can have THIS!(Melania/Ivanka)”

Apparently, an attractive First Lady and daughter is of utmost importance to them. Although there’s something quite cheap and sleazy about Melania. All of those $10,000 ensembles can’t change her very un-First Lady like past.

Dumb brutes.


Wouldn't a more appropriate comparison be Melania vs Bill :duck:

I've never really understood the fascination with the first lady/brosband (hat tip Seb) position. I guess they have a role in meeting foreign dignitaries and what not.


One would think, but consider the source. If you’re more concerned about who has the hottest wife or daughter, it’s time to take their voting rights away. Lol, this is extreme and I’d probably fight it, but these people have really done a number already.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ArchGuy1, lightsaber, ltbewr, Mortyman and 24 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos