Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DL717
Topic Author

People are losing it...Man on hood of car...

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:15 am

Man hangs on for life going down the turnpike...

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/video/v ... y-60656141
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

apodino

Re: People are losing it...Man on hood of car...

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:16 am

Interesting tidbit about this. This was ended by a good guy with a gun. Just saying.
That being said, this happened on the busiest part of the Mass Turnpike, and it also happened near a location where there are State Police Barracks present. Not the wisest move on the drivers part.

DL717
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:31 am

apodino wrote:
Interesting tidbit about this. This was ended by a good guy with a gun. Just saying.
That being said, this happened on the busiest part of the Mass Turnpike, and it also happened near a location where there are State Police Barracks present. Not the wisest move on the drivers part.

Yeah, saw that first part you wrote. Just nuts that the guy got on there in the first place, but for that driver to do what he did? That’s not road rage, that’s attempted murder. He caused the accident in the first place by side swiping the other guy. Probably texting or fiddling with the radio or something.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

TSS

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 am

Meh… not all that unusual for around here, except here the person on the hood is usually yelling something along the lines of "I LOVE YOU BABY! I'M SORRY! I AIN'T EVER GONNA LET YOU LEAVE ME!" while at the same time the person inside the car is shouting "GET OFF MY [email protected] CAR! I'M TIRED OF YOUR SH*T! I SHOULDA LISTENED TO MY MOMMA AND LEFT YOUR CRAZY @SS YEARS AGO!".

Seeing someone riding on the hood of a car because of road rage rather than a relationship gone bad does make for a refreshing change, though.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Kno

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:03 am

Right in my neck of the woods

fr8mech

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:09 am

Anecdotally, this probably happened just as much in the past, but everyone has a camera, and everyone has access to the whole world within seconds of any event happening.

It’s like I tell my kids, “assume there is a camera on you anywhere you go, waiting to record everything you do”.

God, I’m glad that wasn’t the case in the 80’s.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

EstherLouise

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:30 am

Video shows a freeway.... not a turnpike.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:49 am

Mass Turnpike, we don’t have freeways in the East. That’s a Cali thing.

GF

TTailedTiger

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:53 am

Was the guy with a gun an off duty cop? I didn't think MA allowed it's citizens to carry a firearm. Anyway he should be arrested too.

I say the guy who jumped onto the car is the one at fault.

WarRI1

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:53 am

Getting crazy out there as we see once again. The guy who was stupid is the guy who jumped on the hood. We had two fatalities recently where people jumped in front of the vehicles.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DL717
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:44 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Was the guy with a gun an off duty cop? I didn't think MA allowed it's citizens to carry a firearm. Anyway he should be arrested too.

The guy with the gun should be arrested for what? Saving a guys life? Right.

TTailedTiger

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:49 am

DL717 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

He didn't know the circumstances. The guy on the hood could easily have been threatening the driver and that was his only means of defending himself. No one was in danger when the driver came to a stop. I am pro 2A but I hate ignorant gun owners and those hoping to be a hero. I'm only willing to kill someone if it's my life or the life of someone I care about on the line.

DL717
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:53 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
DL717 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

He didn't know the circumstances. The guy on the hood could easily have been threatening the driver and that was his only means of defending himself. No one was in danger when the driver came to a stop. I am pro 2A but I hate ignorant gun owners and those hoping to be a hero. I'm only willing to kill someone if it's my life or the life of someone I care about on the line.

It was pretty clear. Man driving down the highway in an erratic manner with a guy on his hood.

TTailedTiger

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 am

DL717 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
DL717 wrote:

It was pretty clear. Man driving down the highway in an erratic manner with a guy on his hood.

If he had been tied to the hood I would agree with you. But hanging onto it seems to imply he was doing it voluntarily.

Neither of us were there but I'll make a guess that it could have gone down like this:

SUV driver sideswiped the old man's car and pulls over

Angry old man gets out and shouts he's going to kill or beat the hell out of the SUV driver

The SUV driver is scared and gets back in car to try and get away

Crazy old man jumps on the hood thinking he can stop the driver and gets taken for an unexpected ride

The old man put himself in danger by climbing on the hood.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 pm

Yes, Massachusetts issues permits to carry for “all lawful purposes”, as it says here.

GF

DL717
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:12 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
DL717 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

If he had been tied to the hood I would agree with you. But hanging onto it seems to imply he was doing it voluntarily.

Neither of us were there but I'll make a guess that it could have gone down like this:

Angry old man gets out and shouts he's going to kill or beat the hell out of the SUV driver

Crazy old man jumps on the hood thinking he can stop the driver and gets taken for an unexpected ride

He was doing 70. Maybe the big scary old man should have let go and died. Makes perfect sense.

BravoEcho757

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:02 pm

TSS wrote:
Meh… not all that unusual for around here, except here the person on the hood is usually yelling something along the lines of "I LOVE YOU BABY! I'M SORRY! I AIN'T EVER GONNA LET YOU LEAVE ME!" while at the same time the person inside the car is shouting "GET OFF MY [email protected] CAR! I'M TIRED OF YOUR SH*T! I SHOULDA LISTENED TO MY MOMMA AND LEFT YOUR CRAZY @SS YEARS AGO!".

Seeing someone riding on the hood of a car because of road rage rather than a relationship gone bad does make for a refreshing change, though.

Sounds like a love story right outta JP :lol:

TTailedTiger

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:05 pm

DL717 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
DL717 wrote:

He was doing 70. Maybe the big scary old man should have let go and died. Makes perfect sense.

No sane person would climb on the hood of a stranger's car. Good grief.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:07 pm

DL717 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I guess he was doing 70 because he was in a hurry to take this old fella on the hood to the nearest Police Station?
If it had been a less congested road, he could've simply poodled along the margin at 20mph, slammed on the brakes, and watched the guy slide off the hood, lightly bruised but mostly ok.
Then he could've taken off at 70 if he still felt his life was in danger.
But I guess surrounded by other vehicles on every side, he had no option except to drive at life-threatening speeds when the traffic opened up. :roll:

Remind me; the "good guy with a gun that ended it" - was that before or after a posse of vehicles had surrounded the scene and forced the vehicle to a stop?

If there was any perceived risk of further action, I probably would have pointed the gun at his front tire, not the driver's head. Display your weapon clearly; don't make an ass of yourself.
What could the driver possibly do to hurt anyone at that stage? If/when the driver drew a weapon, or attempted to drive over any of the bystanders, then I might be able to justify self-defense.

But that's applying logic to the situation, and we can't have that. :banghead:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

WarRI1

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:57 am

Talk about losing it, today at a local restaurant we frequent, our Waitress after I commented on a political discussion under way next to us told us that about an hour earlier two women had to be separated over and earlier overheard political discussion. She and the owner were very upset over this. No alcohol involved, at breakfast, just raw emotions. This is where we are headed it seems. They were in two separate parties.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

jetero

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:25 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
DL717 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

No sane person would climb on the hood of a stranger's car. Good grief.

I actually agree. Those two deserve each other.

Good on the other drivers, though. Very heartening.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:18 pm

I suspect both the driver and the hood surfer will face significant criminal charges with a few years jail time and they should. The actions of the driver, driving with the guy on the hood could have easily killed themselves or triggered a serious accident injuring and killing others.

NIKV69

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:10 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Talk about losing it, today at a local restaurant we frequent, our Waitress after I commented on a political discussion under way next to us told us that about an hour earlier two women had to be separated over and earlier overheard political discussion. She and the owner were very upset over this. No alcohol involved, at breakfast, just raw emotions. This is where we are headed it seems. They were in two separate parties.

Why we should turn off the MSM and tune into forensic files more. This is off topic btw this video is about road rage.

As for the video Wow that was scary for that guy on the hood. Kudor to the driver who calmed the situation down. The armed man seemed to be military or law enforcement to me.
I am the Googlizer!!!

jetero

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:56 pm