drew777
Topic Author
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:41 pm

They will instead focus on creating a "technology hub." So much for blue collar jobs. I wonder how much of that 4 billion in subsidies they'll get to keep.


https://www.apnews.com/c07c42179511472c970cca2a6f876fbf
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:01 pm

Quelle surprise
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Meanwhile Scott Walker and Paul Ryan are walking to the bank with all their "bribes" and going on vacations.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2660
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:11 pm

Based on the article it seems they are at least still committed to bringing that many jobs in. The tax incentives are all tied to the number of people hired. The question will be what quality and pay of jobs will there be. Seems they are looking at going more heavy on R&D side, which would have higher wages than the blue collar jobs they initially suggested, but they won't have nearly as many R&D folks as they would blue collar jobs so maybe no net change. I guess we'll see.

Taking off my political allegiance hat here, I don't see why anyone would actually think building TV's in the US could be cheaper than doing them overseas. Maybe some aspects of shipping the finished component adds extra costs, but labor costs in the US are just too much higher right now.

At any rate, if they still do eventually employ 13000 people, what does it matter what type of job it is, it's jobs available that weren't previously available.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:16 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Based on the article it seems they are at least still committed to bringing that many jobs in. The tax incentives are all tied to the number of people hired. The question will be what quality and pay of jobs will there be. Seems they are looking at going more heavy on R&D side, which would have higher wages than the blue collar jobs they initially suggested, but they won't have nearly as many R&D folks as they would blue collar jobs so maybe no net change. I guess we'll see.

Taking off my political allegiance hat here, I don't see why anyone would actually think building TV's in the US could be cheaper than doing them overseas. Maybe some aspects of shipping the finished component adds extra costs, but labor costs in the US are just too much higher right now.

At any rate, if they still do eventually employ 13000 people, what does it matter what type of job it is, it's jobs available that weren't previously available.


The article states the following, so I doubt you will see 13000 jobs.


Wisconsin state and local governments promised roughly $4 billion to Foxconn, the largest incentive in state history and the biggest pledged by a state to a foreign corporation in U.S. history. Foxconn was required to invest $10 billion and create 13,000 jobs to get the full incentives.

It hired 178 full-time employees rather than the 260 targeted in 2018, failing to earn a state tax credit worth up to $9.5 million
.


Iphones and TV's were the driving force behind this facility. Remember what happened to IPhone sales last quarter?
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
drew777
Topic Author
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:30 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Taking off my political allegiance hat here, I don't see why anyone would actually think building TV's in the US could be cheaper than doing them overseas. Maybe some aspects of shipping the finished component adds extra costs, but labor costs in the US are just too much higher right now.


You would think a subsidy of $315,000 per job helped the numbers add up. I truely don't understand why this deal was so politicized. It's a terrible deal and continues the race to the bottom. I'm highly sceptical that a 13000 employee R&D center in Wisconsin happens either.
 
Okie
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:36 pm

casinterest wrote:
Wisconsin state and local governments promised roughly $4 billion to Foxconn, the largest incentive in state history and the biggest pledged by a state to a foreign corporation in U.S. history. Foxconn was required to invest $10 billion and create 13,000 jobs to get the full incentives.It hired 178 full-time employees rather than the 260 targeted in 2018, failing to earn a state tax credit worth up to $9.5 million.Iphones and TV's were the driving force behind this facility. Remember what happened to IPhone sales last quarter?


So they added 178 full time jobs but did not get any tax credit. That sounds like a plus+plus.

178 Jobs that did not exist before for zero dollars worth of tax incentives with a path for 13,000. What is your beef precisely?


casinterest wrote:
Meanwhile Scott Walker and Paul Ryan are walking to the bank with all their "bribes" and going on vacations.


And your source is? :lol: Come on now this is quite a serious charge, what is your source?
Do we need to get Mueller involved.

Okie
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:53 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Based on the article it seems they are at least still committed to bringing that many jobs in. The tax incentives are all tied to the number of people hired. The question will be what quality and pay of jobs will there be. Seems they are looking at going more heavy on R&D side, which would have higher wages than the blue collar jobs they initially suggested, but they won't have nearly as many R&D folks as they would blue collar jobs so maybe no net change. I guess we'll see.


Or what type of people Foxconn actually hire - i.e. are the "locals" the one that are benefiting from those new jobs (as was the original intention), or is it "Yes, there is jobs, but not jobs for the locals but rather, just bring in a bunch of people not from the region, or not even necessarily Americans", which is what Foxconn is leaning towards right now. Yes, you can argue that those newcomers will spend money to help the local economy (or pay tax to the state/local gov't), but the economic effect is ultimately less than if those "locals" are actually the one getting those jobs.

BTW, anyone that knows Foxconn's history will not be surprised by the news - this is not their first time doing such "bait and switch" anyway.

Okie wrote:
So they added 178 full time jobs but did not get any tax credit. That sounds like a plus+plus.

178 Jobs that did not exist before for zero dollars worth of tax incentives with a path for 13,000. What is your beef precisely?


See my comment above - the whole "tax incentives" is suppose to be intended for the people in the region to get somewhat decent paying jobs. Yes, there's 178 jobs, but filled by whom? Locals? Or somebody they hired from Taiwan/PRC/other states?

Yes, it's better than nothing, but it's also far from the promised land of "bringing manufacturing back to US".
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
LMP737
Posts: 5902
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:56 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Taking off my political allegiance hat here, I don't see why anyone would actually think building TV's in the US could be cheaper than doing them overseas. Maybe some aspects of shipping the finished component adds extra costs, but labor costs in the US are just too much higher right now.


So what you are saying is that anyone who promises to MAGA in part by bringing back all those high paying manufacturing jobs is a snake oil salesman and anyone who believes it is a fool.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Okie wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Wisconsin state and local governments promised roughly $4 billion to Foxconn, the largest incentive in state history and the biggest pledged by a state to a foreign corporation in U.S. history. Foxconn was required to invest $10 billion and create 13,000 jobs to get the full incentives.It hired 178 full-time employees rather than the 260 targeted in 2018, failing to earn a state tax credit worth up to $9.5 million.Iphones and TV's were the driving force behind this facility. Remember what happened to IPhone sales last quarter?


So they added 178 full time jobs but did not get any tax credit. That sounds like a plus+plus.

178 Jobs that did not exist before for zero dollars worth of tax incentives with a path for 13,000. What is your beef precisely?


casinterest wrote:
Meanwhile Scott Walker and Paul Ryan are walking to the bank with all their "bribes" and going on vacations.


And your source is? :lol: Come on now this is quite a serious charge, what is your source?
Do we need to get Mueller involved.

Okie


Let's look back at the Original deal shall we. ?

The Village of Mount Pleasant and Racine County, where the plant is to be built, have also agreed to provide $764 million in tax incentives to help get the facility constructed, including buying the land and giving it to Foxconn for free.

The state expects to spend about $400 million on road improvements, including adding two lanes to the nearby Interstate 94. And it's seeking $246 million more in federal money to help pay for the interstate expansion.

In addition, the local electric utility is upgrading its lines and adding substations to provide the necessary power that will be used by the plant, at a cost of $140 million. The cost of those projects will be paid by 5 million customers in the area.


https://money.cnn.com/2017/12/28/news/c ... index.html

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/pol ... 380750002/
But a memo from the Legislature's nonpartisan budget office found that, even after accounting for the savings, the state still has $70 million to $90 million less for other road projects after allocating the money to prepare for Foxconn Technology Group. The report also found that the condition of state roads is expected to deteriorate over the next decade.


Woo Hoo. Let's see how well Wisconsin does in all of this. Walker and Ryan took the bribes to get the funding, and now they are gone. Trump is next.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:07 pm

Okie wrote:
What is your beef precisely?


As is the case everyday for most of us, only the lies, Okie. Only the lies.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2660
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:07 pm

LMP737 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Taking off my political allegiance hat here, I don't see why anyone would actually think building TV's in the US could be cheaper than doing them overseas. Maybe some aspects of shipping the finished component adds extra costs, but labor costs in the US are just too much higher right now.


So what you are saying is that anyone who promises to MAGA in part by bringing back all those high paying manufacturing jobs is a snake oil salesman and anyone who believes it is a fool.


I'd call it Fool's Gold. They saw what they wanted to see and violated conservative principles and dangled a big carrot of 10 billion in incentives.

Again, at the end of the day, the tax incentives are tied to jobs produced. That protects the tax payers of Wisconsin. Anything else is just more of an egg on face that Trump, walker and others made such a big fan fare event out of the announcement. - I understand why they did it - they should have just let the media do that work for them and not make such a big deal out of it. Because then this happens and a story that is really not much of anything, they're still saying 13,000 jobs, looks much worse than it really is.
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Okie wrote:
Come on now this is quite a serious charge, what is your source?


Yes, it’s right up there with a presidential candidate and then president shouting “Lock her up” to rile up the rubes and then ... er ... lying day in and day out.

But embrace your glibness, ‘Oke
 
Okie
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:17 pm

casinterest wrote:
Walker and Ryan took the bribes to get the funding, and now they are gone. Trump is next

Still waiting for your source of the Bribes. Serious charges levied by you.
We really need something substantial and concrete so we can get Mueller involved. Surely you can come up with evidence at some point in their life maybe Walker or Ryan ate at a Tai food restaurant.

Okie
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Okie wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Walker and Ryan took the bribes to get the funding, and now they are gone. Trump is next

Still waiting for your source of the Bribes. Serious charges levied by you.
We really need something substantial and concrete so we can get Mueller involved. Surely you can come up with evidence at some point in their life maybe Walker or Ryan ate at a Tai food restaurant.

Okie


What do you call 10 Billion for nothing? There were meetings. There were dinners, there were entertainment costs and enjoyment for all the state and federal workers involved. All that access to those in power by the construction companies and lawyers. Those are just legalized bribes, especially for a project that will never get done.

A good AG in Wisconsin and in the Federal system should look into how those Federal and state funds that were granted actually get doled out.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
Okie
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:28 pm

casinterest wrote:
What do you call 10 Billion for nothing?

Well let me see. Yep here it is right here in your own reply.
casinterest wrote:
It hired 178 full-time employees rather than the 260 targeted in 2018, failing to earn a state tax credit worth up to $9.5 million.

Soooo not a single penny.

Okie
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:32 pm

Okie wrote:
casinterest wrote:
What do you call 10 Billion for nothing?

Well let me see. Yep here it is right here in your own reply.
casinterest wrote:
It hired 178 full-time employees rather than the 260 targeted in 2018, failing to earn a state tax credit worth up to $9.5 million.

Soooo not a single penny.

Okie


Do you really fancy yourself as a policeman of “serious charges,” Sooner?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:34 pm

Okie wrote:
casinterest wrote:
What do you call 10 Billion for nothing?

Well let me see. Yep here it is right here in your own reply.
casinterest wrote:
It hired 178 full-time employees rather than the 260 targeted in 2018, failing to earn a state tax credit worth up to $9.5 million.

Soooo not a single penny.

Okie


That doesn't include the promised infrastructure and federal funds, but I guess you are ok with the gang rape of taxpayers.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
Okie
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:49 pm

casinterest wrote:
but I guess you are ok with the gang rape of taxpayers.


Things are getting more interesting by the minute. Was there any video? :biggrin:

Okie
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:07 pm

Okie wrote:
casinterest wrote:
but I guess you are ok with the gang rape of taxpayers.


Things are getting more interesting by the minute. Was there any video? :biggrin:

Okie


Yes tons of it. President Trump Shoveling it while talking it.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
aviationaware
Posts: 2812
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 pm

drew777 wrote:
I wonder how much of that 4 billion in subsidies they'll get to keep.


You're clearly having a hard time understanding how tax credits work.
 
drew777
Topic Author
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:44 pm

aviationaware wrote:
drew777 wrote:
I wonder how much of that 4 billion in subsidies they'll get to keep.


You're clearly having a hard time understanding how tax credits work.


It's not a direct $ or % per employee credit. Much of the tax credits are tied directly to investment dollars spent on the facility. Investment in Chinese machinery and foreign construction workers. No doubt local industry will benefit from the construction, but it will be far from 100% local spending. So yes, I'm curious how much they'll keep.

Part of the 4.1 billion is road construction and electrical feed to the site. I doubt that is tied to employee count, as those are up front subsidies.

I'm not against this deal because Trump foolishly tied his name to it. I hate these deals in general. The conservative mindset that large coorporations and the ultra wealthy shouldn't pay taxes is ridiculous.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1415
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:18 pm

Amazon is clearly better in extraction billions for mere "promises" than Foxconn is. ;)
Besides, it seems that once again "People Don't See What's Right in Front of Them": FoxCONN.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:22 pm

Doesn't it just seem like the company has such an appropriate name to run con jobs on Fox news loving conservatives?
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1415
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:24 pm

casinterest wrote:
Doesn't it just seem like the company has such an appropriate name to run con jobs on Fox news loving conservatives?


Exactly! :D

Well, the joke really is on the good people of Wisconsin who vote for the same crony over and over again and expect a different result....
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:42 pm

aviationaware wrote:
drew777 wrote:
I wonder how much of that 4 billion in subsidies they'll get to keep.


You're clearly having a hard time understanding how tax credits work.


And you clearly have no idea how the incentives were structured.

Quelle surprise x2.
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3348
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 pm

jetero wrote:
And you clearly have no idea how the incentives were structured.

Quelle surprise x2.

Then please enlighten the masses.
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
jetero wrote:
And you clearly have no idea how the incentives were structured.

Quelle surprise x2.

Then please enlighten the masses.


MSPNWA=“the masses”? Interesting.

They weren’t all tax credits.

A mixture of credits, abatements, and outright subsidies.

Read up.
 
wingman
Posts: 3745
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:26 pm

Well whatever the details, Trump and Walker promised to give away the largest tax inventive to a foreign company in US history (part of Trump's magical negotiating skills), and then proceeded to jerk off blue collar workers all over the MidWest saying they'd deliver 13,000 jobs at an average of $54,000 per worker ushering in the GOP engineered resurgence in American manufacturing. But alas, it turned out to be bullshit. Just another Trump con job that he couldn't deliver even by paying for it using someone else's money! But hey, who gives a fuck right? I know Fox News doesn't, there's not a single peep on their website covering this story, much less the one about Trump calling his intel chiefs morons and saying they should go back to school.
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3348
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:36 pm

jetero wrote:
They weren’t all tax credits.

A mixture of credits, abatements, and outright subsidies.

Read up.


The masses already know that.

Please enlighten the masses on what they don't know

Edit: On second thought, your language is exposing that you maybe don't know as much as the masses do about the project. I suggest you refrain from criticizing a poster when you yourself aren't in a position to do so.
Last edited by MSPNWA on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
johnboy
Posts: 3053
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 9:09 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:39 pm

Okie wrote:

So they added 178 full time jobs but did not get any tax credit. That sounds like a plus+plus.

178 Jobs that did not exist before for zero dollars worth of tax incentives with a path for 13,000. What is your beef precisely?

Okie


Because this.

“Electronics giant Foxconn reversed course and announced Wednesday that the huge Wisconsin plant that was supposed to bring a bounty of blue-collar factory jobs back to the Midwest — and was lured with billions in tax incentives — will instead be primarily a research and development center staffed by scientists and engineers.”

If you were the economic development director, I’m quite sure you’d be pounding sand about now.

Please do keep up.
 
bagoldex
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:54 pm

The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?).
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:10 am

bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?).


Last month, the LA Times mentioned that California lead the nation in business flight and outbound domestic migration. Maybe they’re going to Wisconsin?
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20490
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:12 am

I am not trying to derail the thread, I am just asking questions and wondering if there are parallels.

A Canadian company wants to build a natural gas terminal along the Oregon coast to export gas to China and Japan. This would be a Canadian company extracting the gas and profiting. The plan is to use Canadian and American temporary workers to build the pipeline and terminal, then hire Canadians to run the terminal. Pembina, who is heading the project, clams thousands of jobs will be created. In reality, just a few permanent Americans would be hired, in addition to the hundred or so permanent Canadians hired. Not to mention the environmental damage and millions or billions of tax dollars Oregon will not get because of "incentives" to Pembena.

The devil is in the details, as they say.

I just wonder if Foxconn is the same? Who will be hired? Who is permanent?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20490
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:16 am

compensateme wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?).


Last month, the LA Times mentioned that California lead the nation in business flight and outbound domestic migration. Maybe they’re going to Wisconsin?


Probably not. There are tech companies springing up all over. Texas, Colorado, Utah, and Idaho. Besides, some jobs do not require a physical presence. That is: some people can simply work from their home in BFE, Kansas and Skype.

Intel has their own jet fleet flying regular routes between HIO and SJC and AZA and probably others.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
Okie
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 am

bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?


California is quite the place. I landed at SFO last week, scored a straight California bingo without using the free space between the terminal and rental car.
Two piles of human waste
Couple of syringes
A needle
An empty oil bottle
Dirty diaper

Okie
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 am

seb146 wrote:
compensateme wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?).


Last month, the LA Times mentioned that California lead the nation in business flight and outbound domestic migration. Maybe they’re going to Wisconsin?


Probably not. There are tech companies springing up all over. Texas, Colorado, Utah, and Idaho. Besides, some jobs do not require a physical presence. That is: some people can simply work from their home in BFE, Kansas and Skype.

Intel has their own jet fleet flying regular routes between HIO and SJC and AZA and probably others.


Working from home is more of a 2000s thing. Most companies that encouraged employees to do so in the 2000s, forbid so today, due to productivity concerns.
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
bagoldex
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:27 am

compensateme wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?).


Last month, the LA Times mentioned that California lead the nation in business flight and outbound domestic migration. Maybe they’re going to Wisconsin?


Care to cite the article? It’s still the best place to find top tech talent. The companies that I'm aware of that are leaving are generally those that don’t require such workers or are bordering on insolvency and fleeing to a low cost market is a last ditch effort to survive.

Okie wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?


California is quite the place. I landed at SFO last week, scored a straight California bingo without using the free space between the terminal and rental car.
Two piles of human waste
Couple of syringes
A needle
An empty oil bottle
Dirty diaper

Okie


All of which are things I'd rather encounter than someone like you. Just out of curiosity, where did you stumble across these items? I can't see a fearful bumpkin like yourself wandering around San Francisco.
Last edited by bagoldex on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20490
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 am

Okie wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?


California is quite the place. I landed at SFO last week, scored a straight California bingo without using the free space between the terminal and rental car.
Two piles of human waste
Couple of syringes
A needle
An empty oil bottle
Dirty diaper

Okie


NICE!! Those are the other reasons we used to fly in and out of OAK....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:57 am

bagoldex wrote:
compensateme wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?).


Last month, the LA Times mentioned that California lead the nation in business flight and outbound domestic migration. Maybe they’re going to Wisconsin?


Care to cite the article? It’s still the best place to find top tech talent. The companies that I'm aware of that are leaving are generally those that don’t require such workers or are bordering on insolvency and fleeing to a low cost market is a last ditch effort to survive.

Okie wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?


California is quite the place. I landed at SFO last week, scored a straight California bingo without using the free space between the terminal and rental car.
Two piles of human waste
Couple of syringes
A needle
An empty oil bottle
Dirty diaper

Okie


All of which are things I'd rather encounter than someone like you. Just out of curiosity, where did you stumble across these items? I can't see a fearful bumpkin like yourself wandering around San Francisco.


I get a hard copy of the Times, but when I have time I will look and see if it’s online. The jist of it was that the high costs of living here was making it difficult for businesses to recruit and - coupled with the high costs of doing business here - pushing them out. It quoted a UC professor who claimed that it’s a good thing, because the state is overpopulated.
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
luckyone
Posts: 2791
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:59 am

13,000 white collar tech jobs in Racine County? Never going to happen. 13,000 blue collar jobs was pie in the sky but had a better chance.

They can attract some folks from the north parts of Chicagoland, but there won’t be anywhere close to 13,000, not even half. And those people will still be paying taxes to the State of Illinois which at those salaries is actually lower than Wisconsin so not a ton of incentive to jump ship. Racine doesn’t have the ability either to attract large numbers of younger workers with those skills to live local. Perhaps they’ll attract some commuters from Milwaukee.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 3079
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:20 am

1.5 % of 13,000. Sounds about right for a typical Republican/Trump promise.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:57 am

Okie wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?


California is quite the place. I landed at SFO last week, scored a straight California bingo without using the free space between the terminal and rental car.
Two piles of human waste
Couple of syringes
A needle
An empty oil bottle
Dirty diaper

Okie


SURE YOU DID
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 13056
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:28 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
1.5 % of 13,000. Sounds about right for a typical Republican/Trump promise.



Their coming back, ladies and gentlemen, the jobs are coming back. How come I who checks labels of origin on everything I buy including food do not see one Iota of proof of that, not in the hardware store, sport stores, tools, automobiles, clothing, plumbing. Absolutely nothing has improved, they are full of shit, they are liars and you can take that to the bank. You will not be putting much in the bank money wise for sure. :liar: :liar:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:42 am

That’s a pretty serious accusation you’re making WarRI1.
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:50 am

MSPNWA wrote:
jetero wrote:
They weren’t all tax credits.

A mixture of credits, abatements, and outright subsidies.

Read up.


The masses already know that.

Please enlighten the masses on what they don't know

Edit: On second thought, your language is exposing that you maybe don't know as much as the masses do about the project. I suggest you refrain from criticizing a poster when you yourself aren't in a position to do so.


MSP, girlfriend, scroll up. My response was in response to your fellow girlfriend aviationaware, who very condescendingly implied that this “deal” didn’t involve subsidies because it was all “tax credits.”

If you have anything to add for the “masses” the floor is yours.

Edit: What he said. People who don’t have anything to add really shouldn’t speak up.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17518
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 am

Okie wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?


California is quite the place. I landed at SFO last week, scored a straight California bingo without using the free space between the terminal and rental car.
Two piles of human waste
Couple of syringes
A needle
An empty oil bottle
Dirty diaper

Okie

Well that settles it. California will never have a technology hub like Wisconsin :roll:
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:37 am

Dieuwer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Doesn't it just seem like the company has such an appropriate name to run con jobs on Fox news loving conservatives?


Exactly! :D

Well, the joke really is on the good people of Wisconsin who vote for the same crony over and over again and expect a different result....


Actually, they just ran Walker out of office, partly because of this "deal" .
compensateme wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
The best part will be when they can’t fill those jobs and move the whole operation to California(because who the hell wants to live in Wisconsin?).


Last month, the LA Times mentioned that California lead the nation in business flight and outbound domestic migration. Maybe they’re going to Wisconsin?


Most California out-migration is to neighboring states like Arizona and Nevada plus a few tech hubs like Austin TX. Mostly confined to the western half of the US.
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3348
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:41 am

jetero wrote:

MSP, girlfriend, scroll up. My response was in response to your fellow girlfriend aviationaware, who very condescendingly implied that this “deal” didn’t involve subsidies because it was all “tax credits.”

If you have anything to add for the “masses” the floor is yours.

Edit: What he said. People who don’t have anything to add really shouldn’t speak up.


When challenged you claimed that there is both tax credits and "outright subsidies" in the deal. What are those "outright subsidies" you refer to?

What I continue to see indicates that what you've been told about the project is probably from the state-run propaganda media. It's misleading at best, lying at worst. From those sources you will hear the term "subsidy" constantly. That term has been broadened and demonized to fit the weak-economy, anti-job, anti-American agenda. Refundable tax credits are considered a subsidy by some. But a tax incentive is not the same as a cash payment up front with no strings attached. They both may be called a subsidy, but they are two wildly different animals. I personally don't define a tax credit as a subsidy for this reason. It's far too broad. The macroeconomic government spending versus tax cut stimulus scenarios are likewise split.

The fact of the matter is this. Foxconn is only receiving tax breaks and/or cash payments if they spend billions of dollars. They are getting nothing for free. The people of Wisconsin are hedged thanks to the wise deal made by their economically-wise lawmakers and are a virtual no-lose situation. The worst that can happen is if some infrastructure is built and never needed. Well, here's a news flash for you - building infrastructure to support potential new business is necessary standard procedure. Taxpayers will always be paying for that, and sometimes it isn't used to its full potential. That's the worst that will happen. But considering some jobs are already in the state, for Wisconsin at worst this wasn't the big economic gain they were hoping for. But sadly we can bet the new governor won't have the economic sense to try to lure other businesses to the state if this falls through.

Like I said before, I recommend not criticizing as a matter of definition when you don't understand the definitions themselves.
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Foxconn Cancels Wisconsin Factory

Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 am

MSPNWA wrote:
jetero wrote:

MSP, girlfriend, scroll up. My response was in response to your fellow girlfriend aviationaware, who very condescendingly implied that this “deal” didn’t involve subsidies because it was all “tax credits.”

If you have anything to add for the “masses” the floor is yours.

Edit: What he said. People who don’t have anything to add really shouldn’t speak up.


When challenged you claimed that there is both tax credits and "outright subsidies" in the deal. What are those "outright subsidies" you refer to?

What I continue to see indicates that what you've been told about the project is probably from the state-run propaganda media. It's misleading at best, lying at worst. From those sources you will hear the term "subsidy" constantly. That term has been broadened and demonized to fit the weak-economy, anti-job, anti-American agenda. Refundable tax credits are considered a subsidy by some. But a tax incentive is not the same as a cash payment up front with no strings attached. They both may be called a subsidy, but they are two wildly different animals. I personally don't define a tax credit as a subsidy for this reason. It's far too broad. The macroeconomic government spending versus tax cut stimulus scenarios are likewise split.

The fact of the matter is this. Foxconn is only receiving tax breaks and/or cash payments if they spend billions of dollars. They are getting nothing for free. The people of Wisconsin are hedged thanks to the wise deal made by their economically-wise lawmakers and are a virtual no-lose situation. The worst that can happen is if some infrastructure is built and never needed. Well, here's a news flash for you - building infrastructure to support potential new business is necessary standard procedure. Taxpayers will always be paying for that, and sometimes it isn't used to its full potential. That's the worst that will happen. But considering some jobs are already in the state, for Wisconsin at worst this wasn't the big economic gain they were hoping for. But sadly we can bet the new governor won't have the economic sense to try to lure other businesses to the state if this falls through.

Like I said before, I recommend not criticizing as a matter of definition when you don't understand the definitions themselves.


You seem to have your panties in a very, very, very tight wad. I’m loving it!

Job training is an “outright subsidy.”

If you were a real conservative instead of someone perpetually lined up for a Trumpist circle jerk you might question why a state government would favor one business over another.

Maybe you’ll feel that way when (if?) you take over Daddy’s business.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: msaaim89 and 16 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos