User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20442
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Who is defending racism? Me or the person who said "very fine people" were marching with white hoods and swastikas?

Please quote EXACTLY where I was defending racism. Please. Go on.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3539
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:19 am

Keep the thread on topic, and dispense with the personal attacks. There's nothing to be gained from trying to prove someone else is being racist. Just discuss the topic.

atcsundevil
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3518
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:02 am

Some jokes....


Who was Governor Northam’s favorite actor?

John Wilkes Booth

What does Northam call a maternity ward?

A morgue

What’s Northam’s favorite movie?

Partial Birth of a Nation

What’s his second favorite movie?

13 Years a Slave

What’s his favorite Clint Eastwood movie?

Hang ‘Em High

What was Northam’s least favorite movie?

Gettysburg

What kind of maternity card does Northam send new mothers?

A sympathy card

What’s the Governor’s personal motto?

“If at first you don’t Secede, try try again”

What’s the average life expectancy in Northam’s state?

Nine months

What’s Northam’s favorite Virginia auto dealer?

Coon’s ford

Who will Northam pick to head Virginia’s infant services?

Dr. Jack Kevorkian

What’s the Governor’s least favorite car?

a Lincoln continental

What’s Northam’s favorite part of any city?

the Hood

How does Northam describe his welfare system, and a maternity ward?

“From cradle to grave”

What’s the Governor’s preferred method of public transportation?

The Underground Railroad

Who was Northam’s favorite President?

Jefferson Davis

What are Northam’s favorite books?

the Clan of the cave bear

Confederacy of Dunces
Who was Governor Northam’s favorite actor?

John Wilkes Booth

What does Northam call a maternity ward?

A morgue

What’s Northam’s favorite movie?

Partial Birth of a Nation

What’s his second favorite movie?

13 Years a Slave

What’s his favorite Clint Eastwood movie?

Hang ‘Em High

What was Northam’s least favorite movie?

Gettysburg

What kind of maternity card does Northam send new mothers?

A sympathy card

What’s the Governor’s personal motto?

“If at first you don’t Secede, try try again”

What’s the average life expectancy in Northam’s state?

Nine months

What’s Northam’s favorite Virginia auto dealer?

Coon’s ford

Who will Northam pick to head Virginia’s infant services?

Dr. Jack Kevorkian

What’s the Governor’s least favorite car?

a Lincoln continental

What’s Northam’s favorite part of any city?

the Hood

How does Northam describe his welfare system, and a maternity ward?

“From cradle to grave”

What’s the Governor’s preferred method of public transportation?

The Underground Railroad

Who was Northam’s favorite President?

Jefferson Davis

What are Northam’s favorite books?

the Clan of the cave bear

Confederacy of Dunces

What is Gov. Northam’s favorite bird?

Jim Crow

Who are Northam’s favorite aristocrats?

The Dukes of Hazzard, and David Duke

Who are Northam’s least favorite aristocrats?

Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Prince

What was Northam voted as in his college yearbook?

Most likely to Secede

Who is Northam’s favorite general, and his usual response to an accusation?

Stonewall

What are Northam’s chances of remaining Governor?

Gone with the Wind

How does Ralph Northam describe the sides of an isosceles triangle?

Separate But Equal
What is Gov. Northam’s favorite bird?

Jim Crow

Who are Northam’s favorite aristocrats?

The Dukes of Hazzard, and David Duke

Who are Northam’s least favorite aristocrats?

Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Prince

What was Northam voted as in his college yearbook?

Most likely to Secede

Who is Northam’s favorite general, and his usual response to an accusation?

Stonewall

What are Northam’s chances of remaining Governor?

Gone with the Wind

How does Ralph Northam describe the sides of an isosceles triangle?

Separate But Equal
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:04 am

Don’t think that one’ll last long, but good on you GF!

Way to advance the cause by, er, sharing nakedly racist jokes.
Last edited by jetero on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
alfa164
Posts: 2960
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:13 am

Here is an interesting commentary - from a black perspective:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/03/us/r ... index.html


"But here's an uncomfortable truth that photo won't reveal:
Some of the biggest champions for black people in America's past have been white politicians who were racists.
Some of our best friends were racist
A pop history quiz:
Who was the white Southerner who used the N-word almost like a "connoisseur" and routinely called a landmark civil rights law "the n----- bill."
That was President Lyndon Baines Johnson, the greatest civil rights champion of any modern-day president.
Who was the white judge who joined the KKK, marched in their parades and spoke at nearly 150 Klan meetings in his white-hooded uniform?
That was Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black, who incurred the wrath of his fellow Southerners when he voted to abolish Jim Crow segregation in the court's landmark Brown v. Board of Education decision.
And who was the white politician who also used the N-word freely, told racist jokes and said African-Americans were biologically inferior to whites?
That's Abraham Lincoln, the "Great Emancipator" and arguably the nation's greatest president."


I think the Governor is in too deep to stay in office, but it will be the white liberals - not the African Americans - who drive him out.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3518
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:31 am

jetero wrote:
Don’t think that one’ll last long, but good on you GF!

Way to advance the cause by, er, sharing nakedly racist jokes.


You really to get over yourself and stop taking life so seriously. Repeat after me, ITS A JOKE!


GF
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3518
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:32 am

Don’t forget Bobbie Byrd, KKK member and WV senator.

GF
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Some jokes....


Who was Governor Northam’s favorite actor?

John Wilkes Booth

What does Northam call a maternity ward?

A morgue

What’s Northam’s favorite movie?

Partial Birth of a Nation

What’s his second favorite movie?

13 Years a Slave

What’s his favorite Clint Eastwood movie?

Hang ‘Em High

What was Northam’s least favorite movie?

Gettysburg

What kind of maternity card does Northam send new mothers?

A sympathy card

What’s the Governor’s personal motto?

“If at first you don’t Secede, try try again”

What’s the average life expectancy in Northam’s state?

Nine months

What’s Northam’s favorite Virginia auto dealer?

Coon’s ford

Who will Northam pick to head Virginia’s infant services?

Dr. Jack Kevorkian

What’s the Governor’s least favorite car?

a Lincoln continental

What’s Northam’s favorite part of any city?

the Hood

How does Northam describe his welfare system, and a maternity ward?

“From cradle to grave”

What’s the Governor’s preferred method of public transportation?

The Underground Railroad

Who was Northam’s favorite President?

Jefferson Davis

What are Northam’s favorite books?

the Clan of the cave bear

Confederacy of Dunces
Who was Governor Northam’s favorite actor?

John Wilkes Booth

What does Northam call a maternity ward?

A morgue

What’s Northam’s favorite movie?

Partial Birth of a Nation

What’s his second favorite movie?

13 Years a Slave

What’s his favorite Clint Eastwood movie?

Hang ‘Em High

What was Northam’s least favorite movie?

Gettysburg

What kind of maternity card does Northam send new mothers?

A sympathy card

What’s the Governor’s personal motto?

“If at first you don’t Secede, try try again”

What’s the average life expectancy in Northam’s state?

Nine months

What’s Northam’s favorite Virginia auto dealer?

Coon’s ford

Who will Northam pick to head Virginia’s infant services?

Dr. Jack Kevorkian

What’s the Governor’s least favorite car?

a Lincoln continental

What’s Northam’s favorite part of any city?

the Hood

How does Northam describe his welfare system, and a maternity ward?

“From cradle to grave”

What’s the Governor’s preferred method of public transportation?

The Underground Railroad

Who was Northam’s favorite President?

Jefferson Davis

What are Northam’s favorite books?

the Clan of the cave bear

Confederacy of Dunces

What is Gov. Northam’s favorite bird?

Jim Crow

Who are Northam’s favorite aristocrats?

The Dukes of Hazzard, and David Duke

Who are Northam’s least favorite aristocrats?

Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Prince

What was Northam voted as in his college yearbook?

Most likely to Secede

Who is Northam’s favorite general, and his usual response to an accusation?

Stonewall

What are Northam’s chances of remaining Governor?

Gone with the Wind

How does Ralph Northam describe the sides of an isosceles triangle?

Separate But Equal
What is Gov. Northam’s favorite bird?

Jim Crow

Who are Northam’s favorite aristocrats?

The Dukes of Hazzard, and David Duke

Who are Northam’s least favorite aristocrats?

Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Prince

What was Northam voted as in his college yearbook?

Most likely to Secede

Who is Northam’s favorite general, and his usual response to an accusation?

Stonewall

What are Northam’s chances of remaining Governor?

Gone with the Wind

How does Ralph Northam describe the sides of an isosceles triangle?

Separate But Equal

Thank you, even though I'm not a rightie, that was amazing :lol:
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:56 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
jetero wrote:
Don’t think that one’ll last long, but good on you GF!

Way to advance the cause by, er, sharing nakedly racist jokes.


You really to get over yourself and stop taking life so seriously. Repeat after me, ITS A JOKE!


GF


Sure it is! You’ve got a great track record as a guy with a real sense of humor ... this was definitely a typical everyday GF post ... you’re always posting a list of jokes after all!

FORGIVE ME!!!!
 
alfa164
Posts: 2960
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:03 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
jetero wrote:
Don’t think that one’ll last long, but good on you GF!
Way to advance the cause by, er, sharing nakedly racist jokes.

You really to get over yourself and stop taking life so seriously. Repeat after me, ITS A JOKE!
GF


Apparently, so was the blackface/KKK photo...but you seem to be making a big deal about that...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15391
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:12 am

The most damning, yet under-analyzed part of Northam's presser was this:

"I used just a little bit of shoe polish to put on my cheeks and the reason I used a very little bit because – I don’t know if anyone’s ever tried that – you cannot get shoe polish off,” he said.

He used a very little bit because he knew it was hard to get off. So, precisely how many times HAVE you applied shoe polish to your face? Clearly it's more than just once...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:37 am

(Apologies to all if the former message suggesting applying the same standard to the President of the United States who continues to this day to spew out “racist” “vitriol” and “hatred” somehow comes across as “racist.” Maybe someday someone will explain this all to me. Or maybe I will learn the elegantly (?) repeated use of the word “troll” to mean “your perspective is not welcome here, and it should be deleted.”)
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 8605
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:49 am

I kind of miss a bit of context. Costumes can also be satire and it seems like the 2 persons acted like buddies, so the message of the costumes might have been against racism.
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:07 am

seahawk wrote:
I kind of miss a bit of context. Costumes can also be satire and it seems like the 2 persons acted like buddies, so the message of the costumes might have been against racism.


Seahawk, old buddy, I agree.

That said, I refer to you REPLY 3 in thread.

And he failed miserably.

I hope he resigns tomorrow, if only because there’s no possible way he can be effective. (Forget about keeping hands clean. The Republican Party is about as dirty as you can get) Staying on is for his own ego. (But, you know, I’m a proven racist.)

I suppose this has been going on for the entire weekend ... it’s only today when I connected the dots.

Why did the release happen so soon after the horrific abortion comments?

Unfortunately I think the US (not your country, sea) is in for this relentlessly for the next 2 years.

I’m sure you (proven and consistent defender of democracy that you are) are praying (like me) that, regardless of whatever coordinated interference there is going forward, the American people vote American values.
 
Redd
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:33 am

I dressed up as a caveman for Halloween once. It's a well known fact that cavemen were extreme misogynists, hitting their women over the head with clubs and other such despicable behaviors. I'm ashamed of myself for that until today.... Stupid Halloween.
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:47 am

Redd wrote:
I dressed up as a caveman for Halloween once. It's a well known fact that cavemen were extreme misogynists, hitting their women over the head with clubs and other such despicable behaviors. I'm ashamed of myself for that until today.... Stupid Halloween.


Redd, even our most “conservative” members, Magog, Nikky V, GalaxyFlyer, DL717, MikeDrop, mham001, EA CO AS, think you should resign tomorrow.

They’ve proven time and time again they don’t make any exceptions.

Except ...............
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:14 am

seahawk wrote:
I kind of miss a bit of context. Costumes can also be satire and it seems like the 2 persons acted like buddies, so the message of the costumes might have been against racism.


Yeah, I realized that too... But do see what I posted before. Racism in the US left some very deep wounds and we'd all prefer to never see imagery like this again.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

You could argue that blackface was not yet understood to be offensive yet in the 80s, but the kkk outfit was definitely not cool. That'd be like someone dressing up as SS at a German costume party and taking a picture with a guy dressed as some kind of hideous Jewish stereotype. It's not exactly the kind of history we want to celebrate and tends to make our skin crawl.
 
alfa164
Posts: 2960
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:01 am

EA CO AS wrote:
He used a very little bit because he knew it was hard to get off. So, precisely how many times HAVE you applied shoe polish to your face? Clearly it's more than just once...


Sure he did... ;)

Are you now the expert on shoe-polish removal? That must have taken lots of practice...

jetero wrote:
Redd, even our most “conservative” members, Magog, Nikky V, GalaxyFlyer, DL717, MikeDrop, mham001, EA CO AS, think you should resign tomorrow. They’ve proven time and time again they don’t make any exceptions.

Except ...............


https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019 ... &auto=webp
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:36 pm

seahawk wrote:
I kind of miss a bit of context. Costumes can also be satire and it seems like the 2 persons acted like buddies, so the message of the costumes might have been against racism.


Southern Democrat? Not a chance.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:17 pm

I bet that Northam suspects that eventually people will move on to the next topic to be outraged about. A news cycle never last longer than a couple of weeks or so after all.
So he will sit tight, ignoring calls for his resignation. Eventually, people will get bored they get no reaction to their protests and then move to the next person.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2625
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:40 pm

jetero wrote:
Redd, even our most “conservative” members, Magog, Nikky V, GalaxyFlyer, DL717, MikeDrop, mham001, EA CO AS, think you should resign tomorrow.

They’ve proven time and time again they don’t make any exceptions.

Except ...............


I'm offended that I didn't make that list.

In regards to costumes, I had thought about this a bit too. I can think of a couple of instances - The sound of music plays for instance need people to dress up like SS officers. A picture of a kid wearing that costume, without any context, could be quite damning. You have Ben Stiller doing black face in tropic thunder. Though, I'll confess, I don't really get the context there - only seen it once and that was a long time ago.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15391
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:52 pm

jetero wrote:
Redd wrote:
I dressed up as a caveman for Halloween once. It's a well known fact that cavemen were extreme misogynists, hitting their women over the head with clubs and other such despicable behaviors. I'm ashamed of myself for that until today.... Stupid Halloween.


Redd, even our most “conservative” members, Magog, Nikky V, GalaxyFlyer, DL717, MikeDrop, mham001, EA CO AS, think you should resign tomorrow.

They’ve proven time and time again they don’t make any exceptions.

Except ...............



Actually, I don’t think he should resign. He did something unbelievably hurtful and stupid as a young man, yes, but suggesting that people don’t change and must be forever punished for past sins is unreasonable. His explanations are garbage and he could have just owned it as being stupid, but to insist on a resignation over this is an overreaction.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20442
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:59 pm

seahawk wrote:
I kind of miss a bit of context. Costumes can also be satire and it seems like the 2 persons acted like buddies, so the message of the costumes might have been against racism.


Something I had not thought of. I don't recall seeing who is under the hood, but your post reminds me of a Dave Chapelle skit where he played a blind man who joined KKK.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
mham001
Posts: 5556
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:13 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
jetero wrote:
Redd wrote:
I dressed up as a caveman for Halloween once. It's a well known fact that cavemen were extreme misogynists, hitting their women over the head with clubs and other such despicable behaviors. I'm ashamed of myself for that until today.... Stupid Halloween.


Redd, even our most “conservative” members, Magog, Nikky V, GalaxyFlyer, DL717, MikeDrop, mham001, EA CO AS, think you should resign tomorrow.

They’ve proven time and time again they don’t make any exceptions.

Except ...............



Actually, I don’t think he should resign. He did something unbelievably hurtful and stupid as a young man, yes, but suggesting that people don’t change and must be forever punished for past sins is unreasonable. His explanations are garbage and he could have just owned it as being stupid, but to insist on a resignation over this is an overreaction.


I don't really think so either but I see somebody on my ignore list put words in my mouth. Shocking.

This whole "blackface" thing is waaay overblown. No blacks were killed by blackface, no blacks were systematically terrorized by men in blackface, in fact, few people alive have actually seen it used in ways that *could* be, at most, insulting. Nor do we know the context, it could have been parody for Halloween.

Interesting how most seem to assume the governor was in black, while ignoring the KKK costume, which did kill people and instill terror. However, what goes around comes around and Democrats do indeed need to stick to the same standards they expect of those evil Republicans.. Remember just last week, the Catholic school vilified because some white boys dared to paint their bodies black for school spirit?

He should be run out of office over his baby killing remarks though.
Last edited by mham001 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:19 pm

Here we go again. The poor pitiful misunderstood right. Dressing up repeatedly in blackface last week is the exact same as doing it 35 years ago, especially when all your policy positions are counter to right-wing race-baiting that what? Oh yeah last cycle’s statewide nominees for Senator and Governor were doing MERE MONTHS AGO.

The ridiculous right wing false equivalence parade marches ON and ON and ON and ON and ON ... if a Democrat does one-tenth of one percent of something that a Republican does (nevermind the current occupant of 1600 Penna) it’s absolute OPEN SEASON, replete with insincere choruses of “Sad!” and “What a disgrace!”

Such sanctiononious drivel over and over again.
 
TSS
Posts: 3227
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:29 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
You have Ben Stiller doing black face in tropic thunder. Though, I'll confess, I don't really get the context there - only seen it once and that was a long time ago.


Though Ben Stiller wrote Tropic Thunder, that was actually Robert Downey Jr in "blackface" in the film, and that character was written specifically to poke fun at actors who are so full of themselves that they believe it's a great idea for them to take on any role, even if it's one for which they're wildly unsuited physically. The African-American character in the film gave that character hell about it too, once going so far as to say "You're Australian. BE Australian".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15391
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:40 pm

jetero wrote:
Such sanctiononious drivel over and over again.


Oh spare me; the left has a virtual monopoly on "do as I say, not as I do," so you can put your feigned outrage away. Northam did something hurtful and stupid over 30 years ago, and while I'm glad he apologized, and that should have been the end of it, his videotaped apology looked like a ransom video, followed by that godawful cringeworthy press conference. When you're in a hole, stop digging, Governor. But no, he kept going, right until his wife had to shut him up.

And only then, realizing full well the optics, did leaders with a (D) after their name start the torches and pitchforks schtick.

Punish someone for their acts of 30 plus years ago if someone died or were irreparably harmed, but for doing something offensive? Nope, I'm not onboard with Nazi-like policing of speech or thought.

The voters can decide on his fate in 4 years. But if you Democrats are stupid enough to eat your own in a feeding frenzy of virtue signaling, be my guest.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2625
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:02 pm

TSS wrote:

Though Ben Stiller wrote Tropic Thunder, that was actually Robert Downey Jr in "blackface" in the film, .


That's right, thanks for correcting. Just shows how much I remember lol.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:34 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Actually, I don’t think he should resign. He did something unbelievably hurtful and stupid as a young man, yes, but suggesting that people don’t change and must be forever punished for past sins is unreasonable. His explanations are garbage and he could have just owned it as being stupid, but to insist on a resignation over this is an overreaction.

<cough> Prince Harry (2002) - and don't forget, his family are German after all..... :lol:
Image
(I suspect the image above is a made-up scenario with actors; but it suits this thread quite admirably so.. meh)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4170083.stm

For HRH Duke of Sussex, forgiveness was the only real option. He is royalty, and you cannot invite him to resign and appoint somebody else in his place.

In the years that have followed, his true nature has shone out like a beacon, and we should all be grateful that he has had the opportunity to put this episode behind him.
For instance whenever he flew his AH-64 Apache over my particular patch of scrub, I somehow resisted the urge to proffer a Nazi salute. :white:

Maybe the Gov of Virginia should have the same forgiveness too, especially since in his case he can be replaced if he doesn't measure up....
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
winginit
Posts: 2549
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:39 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
And only then, realizing full well the optics, did leaders with a (D) after their name start the torches and pitchforks schtick.


That's nonsense. You had loads of (D) voices calling on Northam to resign on Friday, February 1st - well before the press conference that took place the following day. A few high profile examples below:

Kamala Harris

Elizabeth Warren

Get your timeline straight.
 
alfa164
Posts: 2960
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:49 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
The voters can decide on his fate in 4 years. But if you Democrats are stupid enough to eat your own in a feeding frenzy of virtue signaling, be my guest.


Except Virginia governors are term limited; he can't run again in 4 years. Get your timeline straight... again...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Oh spare me; the left has a virtual monopoly on "do as I say, not as I do," so you can put your feigned outrage away.


HOW SO? Please explain. Since we have a "virtual monopoly" on this I'm sure it'll be easy to come up with a long list of recent examples. Hell, I'll give you five years. And then we'll compare those against what President "Do as I Say, Not as I Do" has done in the past 6 months.

EA CO AS wrote:
And only then, realizing full well the optics, did leaders with a (D) after their name start the torches and pitchforks schtick.


What's the name of the parallel universe you're living in? I'd like to visit.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7485
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:09 pm

I don't condone Gov Northam's behavior and based on his back and forth with the issue, I think it's time he stepped aside. However, there are two things I need to bring up:

1. This is why people lose faith in politics. Because one bad incident in the past outweighs decades of exemplary public service. It's one thing if his behavior has always had a racial undertone to it, to the point where you know he's a closeted (if not explicit) racist; it's another when the evidence points in the other direction. I'm essentially screwed if I decide to run for office: I've dressed up in Halloween as an Arab Sheikh. That will be seen as me being racist against Arabs or supporting MBS's policies. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if a far-right website makes up a conspiracy of me being in bed with terrorists, and this being my subtle way of acknowledging it.

2. Considering that many Republicans have, at best remained silent and at worst voiced support to known white supremacists, they are the least morally indicated folks to cry foul over this. How many have stood by IA's Steve King with his many remarks (and no, one vote in the House to censure him does not make up for years of remarks, especially when it's likely that if McCarthy had the gavel, such a vote would probably not have even happened)? What about Trump's famous "many fine people" remarks in Charlottesville? What about nominating neoconfederates like Corey Stewart and Ed Gillespie? I'm glad the GOP decided to grow a spine and call a spade a spade when it happens, but one has to wonder where was this righteousness all this time, and will it become ingrained in their mindset or is this just to be able to score a political point today and nothing more?

As a Democrat, I think Gov Northam's record speaks for itself, but for the good of the party and the state, I think he should step aside, especially after the flip-flop press conference he held.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:19 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I don't condone Gov Northam's behavior and based on his back and forth with the issue, I think it's time he stepped aside. However, there are two things I need to bring up:

1. This is why people lose faith in politics. Because one bad incident in the past outweighs decades of exemplary public service. It's one thing if his behavior has always had a racial undertone to it, to the point where you know he's a closeted (if not explicit) racist; it's another when the evidence points in the other direction. I'm essentially screwed if I decide to run for office: I've dressed up in Halloween as an Arab Sheikh. That will be seen as me being racist against Arabs or supporting MBS's policies. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if a far-right website makes up a conspiracy of me being in bed with terrorists, and this being my subtle way of acknowledging it.


The people probably start shrugging their shoulders if they hear another "racism" claim. After all, with the endless amount of "racism" claims slammed about these day, the deck of cards is getting very worn. Only the Loudmouths on Twitter are still getting riled-up about "racism".
It's sad in way. Real instances of racism won't get noticed in the future no more, thanks to the packs howling "racism" all the time.

2. Considering that many Republicans have, at best remained silent and at worst voiced support to known white supremacists, they are the least morally indicated folks to cry foul over this. How many have stood by IA's Steve King with his many remarks (and no, one vote in the House to censure him does not make up for years of remarks, especially when it's likely that if McCarthy had the gavel, such a vote would probably not have even happened)? What about Trump's famous "many fine people" remarks in Charlottesville? What about nominating neoconfederates like Corey Stewart and Ed Gillespie? I'm glad the GOP decided to grow a spine and call a spade a spade when it happens, but one has to wonder where was this righteousness all this time, and will it become ingrained in their mindset or is this just to be able to score a political point today and nothing more?


Only when the other party commits an act of "racism" will be loud mouths be opened ;)
 
jetero
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Real instances of racism won't get noticed in the future no more, thanks to the packs howling "racism" all the time.


Do you really believe that?
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:37 pm

jetero wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Real instances of racism won't get noticed in the future no more, thanks to the packs howling "racism" all the time.


Do you really believe that?


Ever heard of the expression "If Everyone is Elite, Nobody Is"?
Besides, it is not really about "believing". It is a FACT. The more you call people names, the more you start turning people off.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:41 pm

They should just take a poll of black people asking if they can forgive him and if he should resign. That's the demographic we are worried about hurting after all.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Jouhou wrote:
They should just take a poll of black people asking if they can forgive him and if he should resign. That's the demographic we are worried about hurting after all.


Different opinions on that: https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/03/ ... should-do/
 
winginit
Posts: 2549
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:48 pm

Jouhou wrote:
They should just take a poll of black people asking if they can forgive him and if he should resign. That's the demographic we are worried about hurting after all.


So only black people can be offended by the KKK or black face?
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Not to change the subject completely, but how would you compare this case to the Kavanaugh case?
There was a lot of outrage too during the confirmation hearings. Lots of protests. But Kavanaugh persisted and today you don't hear a peep about it anymore.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7485
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:00 pm

jetero wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Real instances of racism won't get noticed in the future no more, thanks to the packs howling "racism" all the time.


Do you really believe that?

I actually agree with Dieuwer on this. Cry wolf many times over anything, eventually people won't care.

Saying that everyone wearing the MAGA hat is a racist is disingenuous. While many actual racists wear it, not everyone who wears it is a racist. The sooner we understand that, the better. However, I do understand the consequences of linking anyone with the hat to racism, and that is something the MAGA crowd has to contend with. If the red hat should not be linked to racism, then the MAGA crowd has to disavow it; so far they have not done the slightest to disassociate themselves.

To avoid unnecessary confrontation, I just ignore them. I'm not gonna feel threatened by someone with a MAGA hat and won't ask them to go away or remove the hat, but I'll be damned if I let them intimidate me just because they feel they can. Calling them racist and stoking arguments when they're in their own little corner won't get me anything other than bad press.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
NIKV69
Posts: 12673
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:10 pm

winginit wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
They should just take a poll of black people asking if they can forgive him and if he should resign. That's the demographic we are worried about hurting after all.


So only black people can be offended by the KKK or black face?


I know I laughed when I read this too. :sarcastic:
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:55 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
jetero wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Real instances of racism won't get noticed in the future no more, thanks to the packs howling "racism" all the time.


Do you really believe that?

I actually agree with Dieuwer on this. Cry wolf many times over anything, eventually people won't care.

Saying that everyone wearing the MAGA hat is a racist is disingenuous. While many actual racists wear it, not everyone who wears it is a racist. The sooner we understand that, the better. However, I do understand the consequences of linking anyone with the hat to racism, and that is something the MAGA crowd has to contend with. If the red hat should not be linked to racism, then the MAGA crowd has to disavow it; so far they have not done the slightest to disassociate themselves.

To avoid unnecessary confrontation, I just ignore them. I'm not gonna feel threatened by someone with a MAGA hat and won't ask them to go away or remove the hat, but I'll be damned if I let them intimidate me just because they feel they can. Calling them racist and stoking arguments when they're in their own little corner won't get me anything other than bad press.


Basically it comes down to motive. WHY are you buying and wearing that MAGA hat.
 
mham001
Posts: 5556
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:16 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I've dressed up in Halloween as an Arab Sheikh. .


I was Jesus Christ one year. I am totally damned.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3518
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:17 pm

Anybody remember Ted Dandon doing this when Whoopi Goldberg was his girlfriend? Come on, there are more substantial reasons to force duly elected people out of office or disqualify them for acts 30 years in the past. In this case, supporting killing babies in spite of his Hippocratic Oath.

GF
 
mham001
Posts: 5556
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:27 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
winginit wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
They should just take a poll of black people asking if they can forgive him and if he should resign. That's the demographic we are worried about hurting after all.


So only black people can be offended by the KKK or black face?


I know I laughed when I read this too. :sarcastic:


Who else would feel "offended" about things that were never directed at them? Too many people are "offended" by too many things today. I always laugh when I see SJW's who never had anything directed at them claim offense and outrage. Sympathize would be a more accurate word.

of·fend·ed
Dictionary result for offended
/əˈfendəd/Submit
adjective
resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.
 
winginit
Posts: 2549
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:45 pm

mham001 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
winginit wrote:

So only black people can be offended by the KKK or black face?


I know I laughed when I read this too. :sarcastic:


Who else would feel "offended" about things that were never directed at them? Too many people are "offended" by too many things today. I always laugh when I see SJW's who never had anything directed at them claim offense and outrage. Sympathize would be a more accurate word.

of·fend·ed
Dictionary result for offended
/əˈfendəd/Submit
adjective
resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.


uh... Catholics? Jews? You know... the many other groups besides African-Americans who the KKK have historically targeted? Read up sport.
 
mham001
Posts: 5556
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:01 pm

winginit wrote:
mham001 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I know I laughed when I read this too. :sarcastic:


Who else would feel "offended" about things that were never directed at them? Too many people are "offended" by too many things today. I always laugh when I see SJW's who never had anything directed at them claim offense and outrage. Sympathize would be a more accurate word.

of·fend·ed
Dictionary result for offended
/əˈfendəd/Submit
adjective
resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.


uh... Catholics? Jews? You know... the many other groups besides African-Americans who the KKK have historically targeted? Read up sport.


Why would Catholics and Jews be "offended" by blackface?

BTW, as one of those groups, it never occurred to me to feel offended by things I've neither seen nor experienced.
 
winginit
Posts: 2549
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 pm

mham001 wrote:
winginit wrote:
mham001 wrote:

Who else would feel "offended" about things that were never directed at them? Too many people are "offended" by too many things today. I always laugh when I see SJW's who never had anything directed at them claim offense and outrage. Sympathize would be a more accurate word.

of·fend·ed
Dictionary result for offended
/əˈfendəd/Submit
adjective
resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.


uh... Catholics? Jews? You know... the many other groups besides African-Americans who the KKK have historically targeted? Read up sport.


Why would Catholics and Jews be "offended" by blackface?

BTW, as one of those groups, it never occurred to me to feel offended by things I've neither seen nor experienced.


You'll note in my original post that I referenced both the KKK and black face since it seems we don't know which the Virginia Governor opted to dress up with. Keep up:

winginit wrote:
So only black people can be offended by the KKK or black face?
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20442
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:38 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Anybody remember Ted Dandon doing this when Whoopi Goldberg was his girlfriend?


Do you know the conversations Danson and Goldberg had? Perhaps they had conversations with African American leaders? Do you know that? Or was his decision simply on a whim?

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Come on, there are more substantial reasons to force duly elected people out of office or disqualify them for acts 30 years in the past. In this case, supporting killing babies in spite of his Hippocratic Oath.

GF


You mean "do no harm"? Like allowing pain and suffering and unnecessary death? That kind of harm? Please explain how that has anything at all to do with offensive racial stereotypes.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], drew777, L0VE2FLY and 30 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos