jetero

Re: Looks like the Governor of Virginia has a lot of explaining to do

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:45 pm

ltbewr wrote:
jetero wrote:
NoTime wrote:
As someone pointed out earlier - How in the world did this not come up during the governors election cycle? I mean, it's in a yearbook. What an absolute failure of opposition research.

Yes, I agree, he was fairly elected. He should be able to stay in office. Let the voters decide next round.

The state of Virginia only has governors serve 1 - 4 year term, they cannot run for the Governor's post again. However, he could lose in a run for election for another position. I am not sure if they have Impeachment proceedings for Governors in VA.

Ah, that's right.

Maybe Corey Stewart can prosecute?

slider

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:56 pm

So he's a racist AND advocates slaughtering newborn babies....sounds like a real peach of a guy.

If he doesn't resign within a week, the people of VA ought to recall him.

bagoldex

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:48 pm

slider wrote:
So he's a racist AND advocates slaughtering newborn babies....sounds like a real peach of a guy.

If he doesn't resign within a week, the people of VA ought to recall him.

He advocates slaughtering newborn babies? Where did you find that gem of an allegation?

PIMountaineer

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:00 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I am not sure if they have Impeachment proceedings for Governors in VA.

The Commonwealth of Virginia does allow for impeachment according to Article IV, Section 17:

"The Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, judges, members of the State Corporation Commission, and all officers appointed by the Governor or elected by the General Assembly, offending against the Commonwealth by malfeasance in office, corruption, neglect of duty, or other high crime or misdemeanor may be impeached by the House of Delegates and prosecuted before the Senate, which shall have the sole power to try impeachments. When sitting for that purpose, the senators shall be on oath or affirmation, and no person shall be convicted without the concurrence of two-thirds of the senators present. Judgment in case of impeachment shall not extend further than removal from office and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the Commonwealth; but the person convicted shall nevertheless be subject to indictment, trial, judgment, and punishment according to law. The Senate may sit during the recess of the General Assembly for the trial of impeachments."

The question is, on what grounds can they do so? Malfeasance? It mentions malfeasance in office; this happened years earlier.

blueflyer

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Breaking News.... all is well, it is not him after all!
Said he this morning while ruling out resignation...
But he will also issue a statement this afternoon, so who knows what's next
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... aefa7c1842

Serious question, what does it take to be expelled from a party this days, be it the left or the right?!
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:02 pm

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:05 pm

He was in the KKK outfit and it can’t be proved it is or isn’t him. He took a poll and in Virginia, KKK polled better than blackface.

Gf
Last edited by GalaxyFlyer on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magog

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:05 pm

jetero wrote:
NoTime wrote:
As someone pointed out earlier - How in the world did this not come up during the governors election cycle? I mean, it's in a yearbook. What an absolute failure of opposition research.

Yes, I agree, he was fairly elected. He should be able to stay in office. Let the voters decide next round.

Protecting racists is never the best option. He needs to go.

jetero

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Magog wrote:
jetero wrote:
NoTime wrote:

Protecting racists is never the best option. He needs to go.

Ah, yes. Of course.

Jouhou

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:15 pm

He is apparently contacting people saying he *isn't* in the photo now, after admitting he was. Now his departure needs to be immediate, he's losing his mind over this.

Jouhou

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:21 pm

NoTime wrote:

No, seriously, I wasn't kidding about his Republican opponent. Gillespie and the VAGOP campaigned on Northam not being racist enough.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/virginia- ... es-removed

They probably did turn it up and decided it might help him...

Magog

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:26 pm

Jouhou wrote:
He is apparently contacting people saying he *isn't* in the photo now, after admitting he was. Now his departure needs to be immediate, he's losing his mind over this.

Right... He “accidentally” thought that he wore KKK garb.

And did he “accidentally” include this photo in his yearbook page?

Lots of accidents seem to follow this guy.

Dutchy

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
That is disgusting behavior. We all did disgusting things in university. Brains not fully developed, young naive, alcohol etc. Do we need to disclose all? Seems more like a witchhunt if you can be confronted with something you did over 30 years ago.

It's more than likely the governor doesn't have a racist bone in his body and actually fully understands how disgusting that was, and not just because he's been caught.

The real issue is the role "race" has played in our history and the extremely deep wounds it has left in the African American community. Yeah, things might have gotten better over time but black people are still disadvantaged in this country and they still face some pretty extreme racism.

Not doing anything at all to penalize the governor will reopen those wounds, it sends a message that white people with power will always get a free pass.

Interesting way to look at it. I don't say you should not address it, now it is in the open. Sure racism is still in US society (and everywhere, unfortunately), I just don't believe that this Governor should be penalized for something he did 30plus years ago. I don't believe it helps anyone. I don't know the policies of him, but if he actively has policies to improve equality, the African American community should support this governor after he apologizes and recognizes that he did something wrong.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

ltbewr

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:40 pm

Ironically, this disclosure comes out on the 1st day of 'Black History Month'. I wonder who 'outed' the Governor and disclosed this yearbook page ? I wonder if someone connected with pro-life groups looking for something to bash him with as to his support of a state bill allowing late/3rd Trimester abortions under limited circumstances found it and put it out.

Magog

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
That is disgusting behavior. We all did disgusting things in university. Brains not fully developed, young naive, alcohol etc. Do we need to disclose all? Seems more like a witchhunt if you can be confronted with something you did over 30 years ago.

It's more than likely the governor doesn't have a racist bone in his body and actually fully understands how disgusting that was, and not just because he's been caught.

The real issue is the role "race" has played in our history and the extremely deep wounds it has left in the African American community. Yeah, things might have gotten better over time but black people are still disadvantaged in this country and they still face some pretty extreme racism.

Not doing anything at all to penalize the governor will reopen those wounds, it sends a message that white people with power will always get a free pass.

Interesting way to look at it. I don't say you should not address it, now it is in the open. Sure racism is still in US society (and everywhere, unfortunately), I just don't believe that this Governor should be penalized for something he did 30plus years ago. I don't believe it helps anyone. I don't know the policies of him, but if he actively has policies to improve equality, the African American community should support this governor after he apologizes and recognizes that he did something wrong.

Nope. There are genuine mistakes and there is this. It’s not okay to be a complete and utter racist, whether it was 30 years ago or not. You don’t put on a KKK outfit without knowing what it represents.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Jouhou wrote:
NoTime wrote:

No, seriously, I wasn't kidding about his Republican opponent. Gillespie and the VAGOP campaigned on Northam not being racist enough.

Elsewhere you posted government service is a thankless job, apparently Confederate service even the ultimate sacrifice is not only thankless, it’s worthless and despicable. I’m not in favor of slavery, but honoring family heritage 150 years ago isn’t racist today, it’s just history and heritage.

GF

Jouhou

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:05 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
NoTime wrote:

Elsewhere you posted government service is a thankless job, apparently Confederate service even the ultimate sacrifice is not only thankless, it’s worthless and despicable. I’m not in favor of slavery, but honoring family heritage 150 years ago isn’t racist today, it’s just history and heritage.

GF

Well then I'm proud to have no heritage in southern slave states...

jetero

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:05 pm

Magog wrote:

"Lots" of accidents as evidenced by this single instance? Alrighty then.

Magog

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:07 pm

jetero wrote:
Magog wrote:

"Lots" of accidents as evidenced by this single instance? Alrighty then.

I’m not so sure why you insist on defending a racist. Are you a troll? You remind me of a certain orange Cheeto.
Last edited by Magog on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winginit

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:07 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
NoTime wrote:

GF

We're getting way off topic here, but out of curiosity where do you draw the line between 'honoring family heritage' relating to those who fought for their country and families (and slavery) 150 years ago and Nazis who fought for their country and family (and the persecution of other peoples) 75 years ago? Are the two different?

seb146

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Jouhou wrote:

I think it is interesting that Steve King is still in Congress.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

NIKV69

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:16 pm

seb146 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Or Al Sharpton is still on TV?
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

jetero

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:25 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Or Donald Trump is still President, but que sera, sera, eh, Nikky V?

NIKV69

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:49 pm

jetero wrote:

LOL you never disappoint.

BTW Governor Northam has dug in. Game on.

Tugger

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:00 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
BTW Governor Northam has dug in. Game on.

Yup, game on.
So the question is: Is it him or isn't it. And there will be a LOT of people with a lot or resources digging hard through his past.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

jetero

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:02 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
LOL you never disappoint.

If only the feeling were mutual.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Tugger wrote:
So the question is: Is it him or isn't it. And there will be a LOT of people with a lot or resources digging hard through his past.

Tugg

True, I am watching this presser, his wife wants to run out of there so bad.

DL717

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:31 pm

He’s so full of crap his face is turning...well, you know.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

MikeDrop

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:51 pm

Jouhou wrote:
NoTime wrote:

JouJou - Lately you have seem to have taken more thoughtful and balanced positions on some of these threads, but this post is really just a cheap shot, and not worthy of you. The quote you provided says nothing about what you claim. Your words are your interpretation. You may consider the position that keeping confederate statues is racist and we could probably reopen the countless thread from the past to argue the point, but using this very partisan source to smear those you dont agree with politically with innuendo doesen't bring any value to the conversation, it only creates more anger and division.

Personally, I'd like to understand the situation better before condemning a person as racist and destroying his/her life, regardless of political persuasion. If possible it would be better to create a teachable moment with a positive outcome. Although it doesn't seem that this governor is handling this situation very well.

This situation takes me back to the Rosanne Barr situation a year or so ago. She clearly crossed a line, and in my opinion the disgust and outrage was warranted. HOWEVER, I felt that all of us would have been better served if Valerie Jerrett had made the effort to create a teachable moment by accepting Rosanne's apology and asking her to make demonstrative and measurable changes and contributions. Instead she advocated for Rosanne being fired, and thus all of the other people who were involved with her show, suffered, even though they were not involved. In my opinion it was a missed opportunity.

Perhaps there is an opportunity in this situation.

Mike Drop

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:06 pm

Then, there’s that predictably liberal, predictably PC Bill Maher.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bill-maher-makes-racist-popeyes-chicken-remark-to-black-congressman-will-hurd?source=articles&via=rss

Folks, get over yourselves, they’re jokes, don’t take life so seriously, it’s short, then you die.

GF

Jouhou

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:14 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Then, there’s that predictably liberal, predictably PC Bill Maher.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bill-maher-makes-racist-popeyes-chicken-remark-to-black-congressman-will-hurd?source=articles&via=rss

Folks, get over yourselves, they’re jokes, don’t take life so seriously, it’s short, then you die.

GF

He's constantly trying to troll his own audience. His old show was called "politically incorrect" and he to this day mocks PC culture. I don't know why people still get mad. It's been his schtick for a very long time.

trpmb6

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:40 pm

I doubt the man is racist.

But how the hell does something like this even make it to a yearbook?

jetero

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:53 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
This situation takes me back to the Rosanne Barr situation a year or so ago. She clearly crossed a line, and in my opinion the disgust and outrage was warranted.

Yes, there is certainly no difference whatsoever between a demonstrated pattern of offense and, you know, er actually committing "crossing the line" in real time versus, what, 35 years ago. Exactly the same thing!

Definitely a "thoughtful and balanced" position that we've come to expect from Mikey Boy, the self-appointed enforcer of what constitutes "thoughtful and balanced."

mham001

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:

That would be a more proper, moderate view of what I expect was just a Halloween costume, however the precedent has been long set on these things, ANYTHING in a "righties" past can and will be used against them and even unfounded accusations can ruin a career. It started some decades ago, look up the origin of the word "bork".

What goes around comes around.

jetero

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:11 pm

mham001 wrote:
ANYTHING in a "righties" past can and will be used against them and even unfounded accusations can ruin a career.

WRONG.

But keep on feeling sorry for yourself. Again, it just sounds so damned difficult to be a poor, pitiful, mistreated Republican these days.

Before you go screaming Barty O'Kavanaugh, the standard would be the same.

If Northam were interviewing for a Supreme Court appointment and this popped up during the confirmation hearings you can bet he wouldn't be confirmed. Unless he were one of you perennially put-upon and misunderstood Republicans, that is.

mham001 wrote:
It started some decades ago, look up the origin of the word "bork".

Bork was a primary actor in enabling Nixon's obstruction of justice during Watergate. Look it up. I know that's probably a massive turn-on for you guys these days but it isn't really a great qualification for Supreme Court justice.

mham001

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:25 pm

jetero wrote:
Bork was a primary actor in enabling Nixon's obstruction of justice during Watergate. Look it up. I know that's probably a massive turn-on for you guys these days but it isn't really a great qualification for Supreme Court justice.

Yet that was only a minor backdrop at the time of his nomination. You can stomp your feet and scream all you want but a thoughtful moderate person would look back and say "[the Bork fight, in some ways, was the beginning of the end of civil discourse in politics...The anger between Democrats and Republicans, the unwillingness to work together, the profound mistrust—the line from Bork to today's ugly politics is a straight one." New York Times columnist Joe Nocera 2011

MikeDrop

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:30 pm

jetero wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
This situation takes me back to the Rosanne Barr situation a year or so ago. She clearly crossed a line, and in my opinion the disgust and outrage was warranted.

Yes, there is certainly no difference whatsoever between a demonstrated pattern of offense and, you know, er actually committing "crossing the line" in real time versus, what, 35 years ago. Exactly the same thing!

Definitely a "thoughtful and balanced" position that we've come to expect from Mikey Boy, the self-appointed enforcer of what constitutes "thoughtful and balanced."

Wow, I guess you don't see an opportunity to look for ways to work together and find something positive in this situation. It's unfortunate. Enjoy your anger.

Mike Drop

Aesma

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:33 pm

End of 2017 Antoine Griezmann, French football star then, now world champion, disguised himself as a black basketball player. He posted the picture on Twitter, and soon enough was accused of racism. He had never heard about "blackface" or it being in bad taste for some, indeed in France it isn't, at least not historically. US PC is invading us so that might change, but even if it does, France doesn't have the same history as the US with black people, so we can't really understand the issue, just like US citizens can't really understand some things that are the norm elsewhere. Our politicians would never resign over something like this, or having cheated on their wife, that's for sure !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

jetero

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:37 pm

mham001 wrote:
jetero wrote:

Yet that was only a minor backdrop at the time of his nomination. You can stomp your feet and scream all you want but a thoughtful moderate person would look back and say "[the Bork fight, in some ways, was the beginning of the end of civil discourse in politics...The anger between Democrats and Republicans, the unwillingness to work together, the profound mistrust—the line from Bork to today's ugly politics is a straight one." New York Times columnist Joe Nocera 2011

"Erm, sounds like a pretty damned major backdrop to me if a prospective Supreme Court justice facilitated obstruction of justice." -Jetero, 2019.
Last edited by jetero on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetero

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:40 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
jetero wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Wow, I guess you don't see an opportunity to look for ways to work together and find something positive in this situation. It's unfortunate. Enjoy your anger.

Mike Drop

Wow, I shall never understand such silly, sanctimonious, and self-indulgent double-speak that seems to be popular amongst your kind on this board. Enjoy your deflection. (And while you're at it click on your own posting history for some fine examples of this "anger" you seem to be focused on.)

Let's keep it simple and on-topic: Do you think your cited example of Roseanne and Northam are truly similar or not? You talk of "crossing the line" as if the offending act happened today and the offender has a historical pattern of causing similar offense, or perhaps even more germane, using his political position to further policies in line with the offense.

Okie

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:51 pm

Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs :yes:

Okie

MikeDrop

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:56 pm

jetero wrote:
Let's keep it simple and on-topic: Do you think your cited example of Roseanne and Northam are truly similar or not?

It doesn't really matter if they are equivalent or not. This is not a legal matter, it is totally subjective. My statement was about the desired outcome.

If the desired outcome is to destroy anyone who has made some potentially offensive statement, or some statement you disagree with in their past or present- racist or otherwise, and damage as many of their family and associates as possible, while gaining whatever perceived advantage you may for whatever tribal faction to which you belong - then we are on the right path, and the Rosanne is simply an example of that. As is the children involved in the DC protests, Al Franken, and many many more...

If the desired outcome is to actually change our society to be less racist, and become more aware of the inequities that exist, then perhaps a different path is needed. My point is that perhaps there is an opportunity to step back from the mob mentality that has gripped this country in the last 3 years and actually have a real discussion about the issues. Swift retribution by the social media mob on this person and his family wont do that in my opinion.

So there it is.

Mike Drop

MaverickM11

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:01 pm

jetero wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Hey now, keeping black people out of your properties is not just Presidential, it's religious liberty now!
E pur si muove -Galileo

jetero

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:08 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
jetero wrote:
Let's keep it simple and on-topic: Do you think your cited example of Roseanne and Northam are truly similar or not?

It doesn't really matter if they are equivalent or not. This is not a legal matter, it is totally subjective. My statement was about the desired outcome.

If the desired outcome is to destroy anyone who has made some potentially offensive statement, or some statement you disagree with in their past or present- racist or otherwise, and damage as many of their family and associates as possible, while gaining whatever perceived advantage you may for whatever tribal faction to which you belong - then we are on the right path, and the Rosanne is simply an example of that. As is the children involved in the DC protests, Al Franken, and many many more...

If the desired outcome is to actually change our society to be less racist, and become more aware of the inequities that exist, then perhaps a different path is needed. My point is that perhaps there is an opportunity to step back from the mob mentality that has gripped this country in the last 3 years and actually have a real discussion about the issues. Swift retribution by the social media mob on this person and his family wont do that in my opinion.

So there it is.

Mike Drop

Well as a suggestion to help you achieve your stated lofty ends, Mikey, I would advise by starting with calling a spade a spade and not a gardening tool. The comparison is a stretch by any reasonable standard.

I'd also say that holding public officials and personalities to higher standards as part of this overarching discussion you seem to want to have (for the first time, I might add) does not have to be towards an end of "destroying people." That phraseology is absolutely new and associated almost exclusively with one side of the political spectrum. So I don't think I'm off base with my saying you may be projecting just a teensy bit.

Dutchy

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:15 pm

mham001 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

That would be a more proper, moderate view of what I expect was just a Halloween costume, however the precedent has been long set on these things, ANYTHING in a "righties" past can and will be used against them and even unfounded accusations can ruin a career. It started some decades ago, look up the origin of the word "bork".

What goes around comes around.

Well, if everything goes, than no one in his or her right mind would stand for office, why would you? Unless you want to be on a personal ego trip. Persons with ambition and ability would not do it. Our mediacracy is very entertaining, but will not bring us, as a society, to the next level.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Magog

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:43 pm

Jetero, you are working awfully hard to prop up a racist. Everyone knew in 1984 that this was totally inappropriate. The members of my womyns book club all agree on this, and we seldom unanimously agree on anything.

trpmb6

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:08 am

Seems he is now saying that wasn't him, didn't put his page together and didn't buy his yearbook so was unaware the photo was there.

I'll allow for this possibility, but why did he apologize and say it was earlier? It's impossible to prove if it was him at this point. Unless the other person in the picture comes forward. And you can bet your ass they won't come forward for fear of their career.

Innocent until proven guilty, I can't contradict myself on that between kavanaugh and this. I guess we will see over the coming days.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:09 am

jetero wrote:
mham001 wrote:
ANYTHING in a "righties" past can and will be used against them and even unfounded accusations can ruin a career.

WRONG.

But keep on feeling sorry for yourself. Again, it just sounds so damned difficult to be a poor, pitiful, mistreated Republican these days.

Before you go screaming Barty O'Kavanaugh, the standard would be the same.

If Northam were interviewing for a Supreme Court appointment and this popped up during the confirmation hearings you can bet he wouldn't be confirmed. Unless he were one of you perennially put-upon and misunderstood Republicans, that is.

mham001 wrote:
It started some decades ago, look up the origin of the word "bork".

And you don’t understand the AG and all the Justice Dep’t work for, wait for it,—the President. Nixon, Bork concluded correctly, could fire anyone in the Executive Branch. The DoJ is not independent, but the day went down as the beginning of the end for Nixon.

GF

jetero

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:11 am

Magog wrote:
Jetero, you are working awfully hard to prop up a racist. Everyone knew in 1984 that this was totally inappropriate. The members of my womyns book club all agree on this, and we seldom unanimously agree on anything.

OK buddy, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one. There are obviously strange things going on in the background.

(Strange that a self-professed “one of us” “liberal leftists” would disagree with a bunch of womyn. I hope you apologized.)
Last edited by jetero on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jetero

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:13 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
And you don’t understand the AG and all the Justice Dep’t work for, wait for it,—the President. Nixon, Bork concluded correctly, could fire anyone in the Executive Branch. The DoJ is not independent, but the day went down as the beginning of the end for Nixon.

Hey buddy, you don't understand that that is an opinion (I know one political party is hellbent on shoving their opinions down our throats) and plenty of legal scholars and ethicists don't hold the same view as your conveniently very politically expedient one. You know, as is evidenced by the fact that his appointees resigned instead of carrying out his orders?!

But let the record show that GF said three cheers for authoritarianism!
Last edited by jetero on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.