Page 1 of 3

Updated: Amazon Cancels New York City HQ2

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:42 pm
by NIKV69
Wow the new Socialist darling has locked horns with Andrew Cuomo and it's getting interesting. I would love if they pull out and go to VA or TN. I am so glad I only have 10-15 years left in NY. It's really going down the crapper. Cuomo plays hardball though I hope she is prepared.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/08/amazon-of ... LoRp9eMK2Y

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:54 pm
by Ken777
There are plenty of states that would come up with some decent offers if Amazon decides to look around again. I can't get excited about battles in NY over Amazon getting. good deal to bring in 25,000 jobs.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:03 pm
by MaverickM11
NIKV69 wrote:
I am so glad I only have 10-15 years left in NY.

"I hate this place so much I'm going to stay 15 years" :rotfl:

Ken777 wrote:
There are plenty of states that would come up with some decent offers if Amazon decides to look around again. I can't get excited about battles in NY over Amazon getting. good deal to bring in 25,000 jobs.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: NYC and WAS do not need any help attracting jobs. If Amazon wants to move there, fine, but don't insult our intelligence with a "competition", giving far more deserving cities false hopes.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:30 pm
by NIKV69
MaverickM11 wrote:
"I hate this place so much I'm going to stay 15 years" :rotfl:


More like I got 10-15 years till retirement so I am not going to leave a good job. :footinmouth:

Ken777 wrote:
There are plenty of states that would come up with some decent offers if Amazon decides to look around again. I can't get excited about battles in NY over Amazon getting. good deal to bring in 25,000 jobs.


I can it will be entertaining to watch Cuomo school AOC.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/05/cuomo-may ... c8oA32Xbmw

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 pm
by casinterest
NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
"I hate this place so much I'm going to stay 15 years" :rotfl:


More like I got 10-15 years till retirement so I am not going to leave a good job. :footinmouth:

Ken777 wrote:
There are plenty of states that would come up with some decent offers if Amazon decides to look around again. I can't get excited about battles in NY over Amazon getting. good deal to bring in 25,000 jobs.


I can it will be entertaining to watch Cuomo school AOC.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/05/cuomo-may ... c8oA32Xbmw


Translation. I live and benefit from the liberal mecca, but I want to leave as soon as possible. Makes sense.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm
by jetero
NIKV69 wrote:
I am so glad I only have 10-15 years left in NY. It's really going down the crapper.


Yes, as I've often heard on here, if people don't like it, they should just leave.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 pm
by Dieuwer
AOC chimes in: https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1093921428452360193

New York State should actually consider ARRESTING Bezos the moment he sets foot in NYC. The charges? Fraud, graft, blackmail, subversion, bribery, and extortion.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:03 pm
by 910A
NIKV69 wrote:
Wow the new Socialist darling has locked horns with Andrew Cuomo and it's getting interesting. I would love if they pull out and go to VA or TN. I am so glad I only have 10-15 years left in NY. It's really going down the crapper. Cuomo plays hardball though I hope she is prepared.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/08/amazon-of ... LoRp9eMK2Y


Funny how the article doesn't mention AOC at all. It's a state issue not a federal issue, which means that State Senator Mike Gianaris is leading the fight against Amazon, per the other articles that are featured in the NY Post and NY Times.

What is this obsession of yours with AOC? I seriously doubt that you live in her district. (Don't you spend most of your winters in Las Vegas?) Is it just your anti-Democrat stance?

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:10 pm
by bagoldex
jetero wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
I am so glad I only have 10-15 years left in NY. It's really going down the crapper.


Yes, as I've often heard on here, if people don't like it, they should just leave.


Maybe there's more to it. Supervised release perhaps(it would explain the affinity for the criminals in the Trump admin and his lack of regard for the law). Or maybe he is smart enough to know that he's lucky to have the job he has and no other employer would want him.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:12 pm
by Moose135
910A wrote:
What is this obsession of yours with AOC? I seriously doubt that you live in her district. (Don't you spend most of your winters in Las Vegas?) Is it just your anti-Democrat stance?

Fear of a stong woman who won't just sit down, shut up, and smile politely.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:48 pm
by NIKV69
jetero wrote:

Yes, as I've often heard on here, if people don't like it, they should just leave.


They are. That is why there is a 2 Billion shortfall.

910A wrote:
What is this obsession of yours with AOC? I seriously doubt that you live in her district. (Don't you spend most of your winters in Las Vegas?) Is it just your anti-Democrat stance?


Why is not liking someone's view on the economy and ability to govern an "obsession"? You all do the same thing and chirp ad nausea that Trump is not fit to govern and should be removed but that is deemed patriotic yet when done to one of your darlings it's considered an obsession. This is why nobody takes you seriously. Your unadulterated bias and compete lack of objectivity..

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:52 pm
by bgm
NIKV69 wrote:
jetero wrote:

Yes, as I've often heard on here, if people don't like it, they should just leave.


They are. That is why there is a 2 Billion shortfall.

910A wrote:
What is this obsession of yours with AOC? I seriously doubt that you live in her district. (Don't you spend most of your winters in Las Vegas?) Is it just your anti-Democrat stance?


Why is not liking someone's view on the economy and ability to govern an "obsession"? You all do the same thing and chirp ad nausea that Trump is not fit to govern and should be removed but that is deemed patriotic yet when done to one of your darlings it's considered an obsession. This is why nobody takes you seriously. Your unadulterated bias and compete lack of objectivity..


Every time I read your posts, it just reaffirms my signature. Good job :bigthumbsup:

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:53 pm
by jetero
NIKV69 wrote:
jetero wrote:

Yes, as I've often heard on here, if people don't like it, they should just leave.


They are. That is why there is a 2 Billion shortfall.


Er, I was talking about you. I can speak from experience--it sucks to live in a place one doesn't want to live, especially for 10 to 15 more years.

NIKV69 wrote:
910A wrote:
What is this obsession of yours with AOC? I seriously doubt that you live in her district. (Don't you spend most of your winters in Las Vegas?) Is it just your anti-Democrat stance?


Why is not liking someone's view on the economy and ability to govern an "obsession"? You all do the same thing and chirp ad nausea that Trump is not fit to govern and should be removed but that is deemed patriotic yet when done to one of your darlings it's considered an obsession. This is why nobody takes you seriously. Your unadulterated bias and compete lack of objectivity..


Um, if you think being concerned about a criminal and compromised president in the White House is unadulterated bias and tantamount to the, let's say, perhaps unorthodox and unconventional proposals of a single congresswoman from the Bronx to combat climate change, well, I guess that says a lot.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:28 pm
by jetero
bgm wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
jetero wrote:

Yes, as I've often heard on here, if people don't like it, they should just leave.


They are. That is why there is a 2 Billion shortfall.

910A wrote:
What is this obsession of yours with AOC? I seriously doubt that you live in her district. (Don't you spend most of your winters in Las Vegas?) Is it just your anti-Democrat stance?


Why is not liking someone's view on the economy and ability to govern an "obsession"? You all do the same thing and chirp ad nausea that Trump is not fit to govern and should be removed but that is deemed patriotic yet when done to one of your darlings it's considered an obsession. This is why nobody takes you seriously. Your unadulterated bias and compete lack of objectivity..


Every time I read your posts, it just reaffirms my signature. Good job :bigthumbsup:


Ain't that the truth? I love it!

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 pm
by LittleSprocket
bgm wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
jetero wrote:

Yes, as I've often heard on here, if people don't like it, they should just leave.


They are. That is why there is a 2 Billion shortfall.

910A wrote:
What is this obsession of yours with AOC? I seriously doubt that you live in her district. (Don't you spend most of your winters in Las Vegas?) Is it just your anti-Democrat stance?


Why is not liking someone's view on the economy and ability to govern an "obsession"? You all do the same thing and chirp ad nausea that Trump is not fit to govern and should be removed but that is deemed patriotic yet when done to one of your darlings it's considered an obsession. This is why nobody takes you seriously. Your unadulterated bias and compete lack of objectivity..


Every time I read your posts, it just reaffirms my signature. Good job :bigthumbsup:


Funny signature. I should change mine to read "I haven't seen Democrats this upset since Republicans freed the slaves".

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 pm
by jetero
LittleSprocket wrote:
bgm wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

They are. That is why there is a 2 Billion shortfall.



Why is not liking someone's view on the economy and ability to govern an "obsession"? You all do the same thing and chirp ad nausea that Trump is not fit to govern and should be removed but that is deemed patriotic yet when done to one of your darlings it's considered an obsession. This is why nobody takes you seriously. Your unadulterated bias and compete lack of objectivity..


Every time I read your posts, it just reaffirms my signature. Good job :bigthumbsup:


Funny signature. I should change mine to read "I haven't seen Democrats this upset since Republicans freed the slaves".


Yes, yes. Very cute. And so appropriate.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 pm
by Magog
It’s actually very cute that Jeff Bezos is worth $160,000,000,000 and thought that he needed to send her a naked picture to get her excited.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:24 pm
by jetero
Magog wrote:
It’s actually very cute that Jeff Bezos is worth $160,000,000,000 and thought that he needed to send her a naked picture to get her excited.


Yep, that’s was definitely my takeaway too.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:37 pm
by 910A
NIKV69 wrote:

Why is not liking someone's view on the economy and ability to govern an "obsession"? You all do the same thing and chirp ad nausea that Trump is not fit to govern and should be removed but that is deemed patriotic yet when done to one of your darlings it's considered an obsession. This is why nobody takes you seriously. Your unadulterated bias and compete lack of objectivity..


The 116th US Congress has been in session 36 days. Please do tell us what her ability to govern upsets you so much. First of all, she is a freshman Congresswomen she has no power in Congress except for some reason the press is in love with her.

Why do you write in almost every case that someone disagrees with you write "nobody takes you seriously"?

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:49 pm
by MaverickM11
LittleSprocket wrote:
bgm wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

They are. That is why there is a 2 Billion shortfall.



Why is not liking someone's view on the economy and ability to govern an "obsession"? You all do the same thing and chirp ad nausea that Trump is not fit to govern and should be removed but that is deemed patriotic yet when done to one of your darlings it's considered an obsession. This is why nobody takes you seriously. Your unadulterated bias and compete lack of objectivity..


Every time I read your posts, it just reaffirms my signature. Good job :bigthumbsup:


Funny signature. I should change mine to read "I haven't seen Democrats this upset since Republicans freed the slaves".

Only if you want to advertise to the whole world your understanding of history is zilch...

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:07 am
by ltbewr
Getting back to the subject of this thread - It appears that a small but powerful number of local citizens in Queens have got the attention of local politicians and community boards to chase out Amazon's HQ2 in NYC - Long Island City. The concerned citizens fear losing what little affordable housing exists with the many 1000's of Amazon workers coming in, the Billions in tax breaks, not enough good paying jobs for locals not web geeks.
I would also suspect that Amazon wanted to extort more tax breaks and won't get them (oh the irony with the Bezos-National Inquirer scandal), the costs of fighting the notorious bureaucracy of NY City, the high costs of construction and living also has made them give up on LIC for HQ2 and go extort some other city.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:23 am
by NIKV69
ltbewr wrote:
Getting back to the subject of this thread - It appears that a small but powerful number of local citizens in Queens have got the attention of local politicians and community boards to chase out Amazon's HQ2 in NYC - Long Island City. The concerned citizens fear losing what little affordable housing exists with the many 1000's of Amazon workers coming in, the Billions in tax breaks, not enough good paying jobs for locals not web geeks.
I would also suspect that Amazon wanted to extort more tax breaks and won't get them (oh the irony with the Bezos-National Inquirer scandal), the costs of fighting the notorious bureaucracy of NY City, the high costs of construction and living also has made them give up on LIC for HQ2 and go extort some other city.


Cuomo won't go down without some of his tricks. This will be good!

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:38 am
by coolian2
Moose135 wrote:
910A wrote:
What is this obsession of yours with AOC? I seriously doubt that you live in her district. (Don't you spend most of your winters in Las Vegas?) Is it just your anti-Democrat stance?

Fear of a stong woman who won't just sit down, shut up, and smile politely.

A dinosaur, wonders why it's still on the earth, yeah

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:42 am
by jetero
Quite honestly the idea of NY State and Northern Virginia subsidizing Amazon is ridiculous and should be against the law on interstate commerce clause grounds. I really hope the Democrats will make this part of their platform. How are states like West Virginia supposed to recover and build new industries when they don’t have any money to throw at companies? Michigan still has money, keeps on throwing it at companies, and how has that worked out?

Bezos is complaining about extortion with AMI (and I agree it is), but what Amazon did is another form of extortion. It’s absolutely vomitous.

Not sure why the right wing rags aren’t running with that story. It’d resonate way more with people.

And Nikky, as I am starting to get to know you, not sure why you would be cheerleading a governor who did this to begin with. New York State is not New York City. If you want economic development, there are better places in New York than Long Island City.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:42 am
by NIKV69
jetero wrote:
Not sure why the right wing rags aren’t running with that story. It’d resonate way more with people.

And Nikky, as I am starting to get to know you, not sure why you would be cheerleading a governor who did this to begin with. New York State is not New York City. If you want economic development, there are better places in New York than Long Island City.


NYC has really gone off the deep end and local politics doesn't get viewers on the right wing rags. As for my support for Cuomo he isn't nearly the far left whack he seems to be though lately he is really pandering to the nutbags in the party. He always has been very fiscally conservative (Tax free business zones is not liberal) and a very competent executive. I have mixed emotions about the Amazon deal. On one hand I like the fact we are giving a part of the city a shot in the arm on the other I didn't think we had to totally drop our pants to them. Should they pay what Nancy Pelosi and AOC thinks they should pay in taxes? No they would never come but should they pay nothing? No. There has to be a happy medium but the fringes can't work together so now we see Cuomo play hardball. AOC is out of her league.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:48 pm
by dtw2hyd
Second HQ idea didn't work out for Bezos ;) Lost half of Amazon.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:16 am
by DIRECTFLT
MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
I am so glad I only have 10-15 years left in NY.

"I hate this place so much I'm going to stay 15 years" :rotfl:


Actually, according to AOC, we've only got 12 years left.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:22 am
by jetero
DIRECTFLT wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
I am so glad I only have 10-15 years left in NY.

"I hate this place so much I'm going to stay 15 years" :rotfl:


Actually, according to AOC, we've only got 12 years left.


Maybe she has the direct line to Jesus. I’ve been hearing for a while now he’s going to be back any day.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:31 am
by DIRECTFLT
jetero wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
"I hate this place so much I'm going to stay 15 years" :rotfl:


Actually, according to AOC, we've only got 12 years left.


Maybe she has the direct line to Jesus. I’ve been hearing for a while now he’s going to be back any day.


More like.... "at the last trump..." Whenever that is.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:45 pm
by frmrCapCadet
Seattle adding upwards of 50,000 workers at Amazon had a powerful impact on the whole city. It was done knowingly - Amazon, Paul Allen, city and state government were mostly aware of the implications. Most friends living in 1920s houses that were built for the middle class find themselves living in million dollar houses now. To move to Seattle and live there requires upwards of $200K household income. Thousands of the poor (anyone earning less than $50K) are in desperate shape. It is still a great place to live - people are still moving in, schools are crowded, public transportation lags but is heavily used.

A city has the right and responsibility to decide if they want to take upon themselves all of that. Even NYC, and especially the neighborhood for miles around will be impacted - for good and for ill.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 am
by anrec80
MaverickM11 wrote:
:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: NYC and WAS do not need any help attracting jobs. If Amazon wants to move there, fine, but don't insult our intelligence with a "competition", giving far more deserving cities false hopes.


Well, given how much subsidies NYC and the state had to provide to Amazon, they obviously do need effort to attract and retain jobs.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:57 am
by anrec80
frmrCapCadet wrote:
Seattle adding upwards of 50,000 workers at Amazon had a powerful impact on the whole city. It was done knowingly - Amazon, Paul Allen, city and state government were mostly aware of the implications. Most friends living in 1920s houses that were built for the middle class find themselves living in million dollar houses now. To move to Seattle and live there requires upwards of $200K household income. Thousands of the poor (anyone earning less than $50K) are in desperate shape. It is still a great place to live - people are still moving in, schools are crowded, public transportation lags but is heavily used.

A city has the right and responsibility to decide if they want to take upon themselves all of that. Even NYC, and especially the neighborhood for miles around will be impacted - for good and for ill.


Yes, IMHO WA state and Seattle did a very good job at attracting and retaining Microsoft and Amazon. What's bad in the fact that people are coming? I don't see even a single negative thing anywhere here.

And major role here was played by zero local and state taxes. Many IT startup owners I talked when living in Seattle to mention that as the primary reason to live and do business there. And when WA state wanted to introduce a state income tax on 1%, even Steve Ballmer threatened to leave WA and move to Texas. And Texas officials immediately said they will be happy to accommodate Microsoft there and would not tax.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:00 am
by anrec80
jetero wrote:
Quite honestly the idea of NY State and Northern Virginia subsidizing Amazon is ridiculous and should be against the law on interstate commerce clause grounds. I really hope the Democrats will make this part of their platform. How are states like West Virginia supposed to recover and build new industries when they don’t have any money to throw at companies? Michigan still has money, keeps on throwing it at companies, and how has that worked out?


Well, they want taxes of their employees - they gotta get the employers in. There are Austin, Dallas, Houston that also have strong tech talent pool. Sure, Amazon won't get much there, but in TX they will not want much in taxes from Amazon either.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:02 am
by anrec80
Dieuwer wrote:
AOC chimes in: https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1093921428452360193

New York State should actually consider ARRESTING Bezos the moment he sets foot in NYC. The charges? Fraud, graft, blackmail, subversion, bribery, and extortion.


Do you want to just jail leadership of good quarter of NYC's largest businesses? There city id stuffed with investment banks, hedge funds of all sorts. They all can be charged with something.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:07 pm
by Dieuwer
anrec80 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
AOC chimes in: https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1093921428452360193

New York State should actually consider ARRESTING Bezos the moment he sets foot in NYC. The charges? Fraud, graft, blackmail, subversion, bribery, and extortion.


Do you want to just jail leadership of good quarter of NYC's largest businesses? There city id stuffed with investment banks, hedge funds of all sorts. They all can be charged with something.


You make AOC governess and all banksters go to jail.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 pm
by PIMountaineer
Old - White - Male

I fit all three criteria.

AOC doesn't concern me one iota. She's passionate. I wish more people were. I only agree with here probably 50% of the time, but she's making waves. It's about time someone challenged the status quo.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:19 pm
by frmrCapCadet
It has been noted that Amazon chose two of the highest cost of living and taxed(?) areas of the US. New York workers would be paying income taxes.

It is a huge problem for those earning less than $100K to be priced out. A major city needs hundreds of thousands of workers who are earning than that in order to function. Affordable housing is a concern for everyone.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:14 pm
by anrec80
frmrCapCadet wrote:
It has been noted that Amazon chose two of the highest cost of living and taxed(?) areas of the US. New York workers would be paying income taxes.

It is a huge problem for those earning less than $100K to be priced out. A major city needs hundreds of thousands of workers who are earning than that in order to function. Affordable housing is a concern for everyone.


Why is this affordable housing so much of a deal? To be honest, I don’t see any reason to be obscessed with this “affordable housing” thing at all. Real estate is local, and free markets are perfectly able to figure this thing out.

Yes, some people will be priced out of where they have been living now, but that is happening to tens of millions families across the world every month in rapidly growing areas. And they accept this, move to an area where they can afford to live, and build a new life on the new place. There is no tragedy anywhere here.

When it comes to NYC - life doesn’t end outside of NYC boundaries. There are areas of NJ accessible via public transit. There is whole Long Island, there are adjacent areas of upstate - Westchester County, transit available as far north as Poughkipsee. Many of those areas aren’t expensive to live in. Remove unnecessary regulations and burdens to build, and developers will come. Removal of unnecessary housing programs will generate the demand. Yes, some apartments will be further away, some smaller, many won’t have many restaurants around, but ultimately everyone will find the place they can afford.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:11 pm
by NIKV69
PIMountaineer wrote:
It's about time someone challenged the status quo.


Not when doing so will further escalate the exodus out of the state. Besides I am pretty sure Cuomo will win this one. He doesn't like things he has worked hard on to go down the crapper. I am a sure he has been doing some damage control.

It's the difference between being an executive or a lawmaker, AOC has no idea how to run anything that has to do with budgets and revenue and it really shows.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:10 pm
by Dieuwer
CANCELLED

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:53 pm
by 910A
NIKV69 wrote:
PIMountaineer wrote:
It's about time someone challenged the status quo.


Not when doing so will further escalate the exodus out of the state. Besides I am pretty sure Cuomo will win this one. He doesn't like things he has worked hard on to go down the crapper. I am a sure he has been doing some damage control.

It's the difference between being an executive or a lawmaker, AOC has no idea how to run anything that has to do with budgets and revenue and it really shows.


Wrong again..

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:57 pm
by anrec80
Dieuwer wrote:
CANCELLED


Good news IMHO. Fewer men in the City, more women. :lol:

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:05 pm
by 2122M
anrec80 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
CANCELLED


Good news IMHO. Fewer men in the City, more women. :lol:


In a city of 8.5 million people, you were concerned about what a few thousand new amazon employees might do to the gender ratio. And you managed to broadcast a sexist stereotype while you are at it?

Even if you were joking, its really interesting that your mind would even go there to be honest.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:07 pm
by Pi7472000
This is a huge win for the people!! Give those tax breaks to public transpiration, public schools, those on long term disability, health care, small business, disadvantaged seniors, or college students with debt etc.! Corporations like Amazon do not need public subsidies or tax break. It is gross we do this for large, profitable companies, but not for other sectors. The people of New York who spoke up against large corporations have a huge victory today! There definitely is a divide in the Democrat Party between wealthy, pro-business/money Democrats and those on the left who actually put the interests of people first!

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:12 pm
by Dieuwer
Pi7472000 wrote:
This is a huge win for the people!! Give those tax breaks to public transpiration, public schools, those on long term disability, health care, small business, disadvantaged seniors, or college students with debt etc.! Corporations like Amazon do not need public subsidies or tax break. It is gross we do this for large, profitable companies, but not for other sectors. The people of New York who spoke up against large corporations have a huge victory today! There definitely is a divide in the Democrat Party between wealthy, pro-business/money Democrats and those on the left who actually put the interests of people first!


Indeed.
Why should a large corp like Amazon get billions in tax breaks/handouts while the small mom-n-pop restaurant around the corner gets nothing?
On top of that, Bezos has plenty of billions of his own to fund headquarters 2.0

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 pm
by mham001
Pi7472000 wrote:
This is a huge win for the people!! Give those tax breaks to public transpiration, public schools, those on long term disability, health care, small business, disadvantaged seniors, or college students with debt etc.! Corporations like Amazon do not need public subsidies or tax break. It is gross we do this for large, profitable companies, but not for other sectors. The people of New York who spoke up against large corporations have a huge victory today! There definitely is a divide in the Democrat Party between wealthy, pro-business/money Democrats and those on the left who actually put the interests of people first!



Brilliant.

How many public transpiration, public schools, those on long term disability, health care, disadvantaged seniors, or college students with debt pay taxes in the first place?

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 pm
by SQ22

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:27 pm
by compensateme
mham001 wrote:
Brilliant.

How many public transpiration, public schools, those on long term disability, health care, disadvantaged seniors, or college students with debt pay taxes in the first place?


Uh, many people on LTD, many disadvantaged seniors and many college students pay federal and (if applicable) state taxes.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm
by mham001
compensateme wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Brilliant.

How many public transpiration, public schools, those on long term disability, health care, disadvantaged seniors, or college students with debt pay taxes in the first place?


Uh, many people on LTD, many disadvantaged seniors and many college students pay federal and (if applicable) state taxes.


More brilliance.

I take it you've never actually filed? You have to make money to pay federal and state income taxes. You don't pay any federal or state income tax until you reach certain levels of income. If you don't reach those levels, you can often even get extra money back. "college students with debt" pay ZERO income tax - unless they are working full time. LTD depends on the source of the income. a "disadvantaged" senior is probably not paying anything either, if they exceed income levels, then maybe they are not all that "disadvantaged"?

The notion that public transportation and public schools should get a "tax break" is hilarious.

Re: Amazon reconsiders LIC

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:11 pm
by 2122M
mham001 wrote:
compensateme wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Brilliant.

How many public transpiration, public schools, those on long term disability, health care, disadvantaged seniors, or college students with debt pay taxes in the first place?


Uh, many people on LTD, many disadvantaged seniors and many college students pay federal and (if applicable) state taxes.


More brilliance.

I take it you've never actually filed? You have to make money to pay federal and state income taxes. You don't pay any federal or state income tax until you reach certain levels of income. If you don't reach those levels, you can often even get extra money back. "college students with debt" pay ZERO taxes. LTD depends on the source of the income. a "disadvantaged" senior is probably not paying anything either, if they exceed income levels, then maybe they are not all that "disadvantaged"?

The notion that public transportation and public schools should get a "tax break" is hilarious.


Income taxes maybe, but what about property taxes?