jetero
Topic Author

Airliners.net Business Model

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 am

I assumed this was all a business, but evidently the moderators are volunteers.

So how does that work?

The maintenance of the site must cost money. The site was acquired, presumably for money. I guess the model is advertisements, but this site is not as bad as the usual. What is the parent company? How many paid employees are there who work directly for a.net? Why would people volunteer to make money for others?

marcelh

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:42 pm

A.net is probably an extension of the Boeing PR Dept. :stirthepot: :duck:

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:22 pm

I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

alberchico

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Same way facebook does. AD REVENUE..........
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

stl07

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:25 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Office in Grand Cayman I see :scratchchin:
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

compensateme

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:51 am

jetero wrote:

So how does that work?

The maintenance of the site must cost money. The site was acquired, presumably for money. I guess the model is advertisements, but this site is not as bad as the usual. What is the parent company? How many paid employees are there who work directly for a.net? Why would people volunteer to make money for others?

Appearently you don’t know what the role of a volunteer is :). Sheryl used volunteer moderators and solicited donations for website expenses during the heyday of BiddingForTravel, even as it generated hundreds of thousands dollars in income for her.

Buzzfeed and Huffington Post just announced massive layoffs, fueled in part by community content created by volunteers. One teenager wrote nearly 700 quizzes for Buzzfeed in a year, generating $200k in revenue per Buzzfeed — although several analysts say that’s too low, pegging the number in the millions.

The Bleacher Report was built by a network of community content volunteers and generates millions in revenue for TBS and has killed at least several hundred paid journalist positions.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

Magog

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:49 am

compensateme wrote:
Sheryl used volunteer moderators and solicited donations for website expenses during the heyday of BiddingForTravel, even as it generated hundreds of thousands dollars in income for her.

There’s a blast from the past. A great website in its day with a horrible PR department.

jetero
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 am

compensateme wrote:
jetero wrote:

So how does that work?

Appearently you don’t know what the role of a volunteer is :). Sheryl used volunteer moderators and solicited donations for website expenses during the heyday of BiddingForTravel, even as it generated hundreds of thousands dollars in income for her.

Buzzfeed and Huffington Post just announced massive layoffs, fueled in part by community content created by volunteers. One teenager wrote nearly 700 quizzes for Buzzfeed in a year, generating $200k in revenue per Buzzfeed — although several analysts say that’s too low, pegging the number in the millions.

The Bleacher Report was built by a network of community content volunteers and generates millions in revenue for TBS and has killed at least several hundred paid journalist positions.

Good Lord.

Well, you learn something new everyday, I guess.

dtw2hyd

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:24 pm

Hope at least they are making good money. Ratings are nose-diving and some mods are having a tough time justifying others actions.

airkas1
Head Screener

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:06 pm

jetero wrote:

The entire crew are volunteers. Except for Paul (PanAmDC10).

jetero wrote:
So how does that work?

Ads.

jetero wrote:
The maintenance of the site must cost money.

Man hours, just like any other company.

jetero wrote:
The site was acquired, presumably for money.

Yes. Johan (who created A.net) sold it to Demand Media in 2007. This company is responsible for the infamous site relaunch in 2016. Somewhere in 2017 there was a change in ownership and the site is now owned by VerticalScope.

jetero wrote:
How many paid employees are there who work directly for a.net?

I can think of 2 that I'm sure of, but behind the scenes there are people who work on A.net but also on all VS' other sites as well. We did have 1 dedicated (I think) developer who first worked for DM and was then employed by VS, but unfortunately for us he left a few months ago.

jetero wrote:
Why would people volunteer to make money for others?

Can't speak for the others, but I am volunteering my time here because of my love for the hobby. Because I care about the site that I grew up and want to keep it alive. Without the group of dedicated volunteers that we have, I'm not sure how long A.net would survive. But I doubt this only goes for A.net though, all other photo sites are likely operating on somewhat of a volunteer basis as well.

treetreeseven

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

tl;dr: They buy up web properties with "organic content" (so, forums where users post stuff), stick ads all over them, and twiddle them to drive "engagement" for the ads - for example, by removing paid membership here.