jetero
Topic Author
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Airliners.net Business Model

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 am

I assumed this was all a business, but evidently the moderators are volunteers.

So how does that work?

The maintenance of the site must cost money. The site was acquired, presumably for money. I guess the model is advertisements, but this site is not as bad as the usual. What is the parent company? How many paid employees are there who work directly for a.net? Why would people volunteer to make money for others?
 
marcelh
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:42 pm

A.net is probably an extension of the Boeing PR Dept. :stirthepot: :duck:
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:22 pm

I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
User avatar
alberchico
Posts: 3185
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:52 am

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Same way facebook does. AD REVENUE..........
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 1612
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:25 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Office in Grand Cayman I see :scratchchin:
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:51 am

jetero wrote:
I assumed this was all a business, but evidently the moderators are volunteers.

So how does that work?

The maintenance of the site must cost money. The site was acquired, presumably for money. I guess the model is advertisements, but this site is not as bad as the usual. What is the parent company? How many paid employees are there who work directly for a.net? Why would people volunteer to make money for others?


Appearently you don’t know what the role of a volunteer is :). Sheryl used volunteer moderators and solicited donations for website expenses during the heyday of BiddingForTravel, even as it generated hundreds of thousands dollars in income for her.

Buzzfeed and Huffington Post just announced massive layoffs, fueled in part by community content created by volunteers. One teenager wrote nearly 700 quizzes for Buzzfeed in a year, generating $200k in revenue per Buzzfeed — although several analysts say that’s too low, pegging the number in the millions.

The Bleacher Report was built by a network of community content volunteers and generates millions in revenue for TBS and has killed at least several hundred paid journalist positions.
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
Magog
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:54 am

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:49 am

compensateme wrote:
Sheryl used volunteer moderators and solicited donations for website expenses during the heyday of BiddingForTravel, even as it generated hundreds of thousands dollars in income for her.

There’s a blast from the past. A great website in its day with a horrible PR department.
 
jetero
Topic Author
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 am

compensateme wrote:
jetero wrote:
I assumed this was all a business, but evidently the moderators are volunteers.

So how does that work?

The maintenance of the site must cost money. The site was acquired, presumably for money. I guess the model is advertisements, but this site is not as bad as the usual. What is the parent company? How many paid employees are there who work directly for a.net? Why would people volunteer to make money for others?


Appearently you don’t know what the role of a volunteer is :). Sheryl used volunteer moderators and solicited donations for website expenses during the heyday of BiddingForTravel, even as it generated hundreds of thousands dollars in income for her.

Buzzfeed and Huffington Post just announced massive layoffs, fueled in part by community content created by volunteers. One teenager wrote nearly 700 quizzes for Buzzfeed in a year, generating $200k in revenue per Buzzfeed — although several analysts say that’s too low, pegging the number in the millions.

The Bleacher Report was built by a network of community content volunteers and generates millions in revenue for TBS and has killed at least several hundred paid journalist positions.


Good Lord.

Well, you learn something new everyday, I guess.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:24 pm

Hope at least they are making good money. Ratings are nose-diving and some mods are having a tough time justifying others actions.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7884
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:06 pm

jetero wrote:
I assumed this was all a business, but evidently the moderators are volunteers.

The entire crew are volunteers. Except for Paul (PanAmDC10).

jetero wrote:
So how does that work?

Ads.

jetero wrote:
The maintenance of the site must cost money.

Man hours, just like any other company.

jetero wrote:
The site was acquired, presumably for money.

Yes. Johan (who created A.net) sold it to Demand Media in 2007. This company is responsible for the infamous site relaunch in 2016. Somewhere in 2017 there was a change in ownership and the site is now owned by VerticalScope.

jetero wrote:
How many paid employees are there who work directly for a.net?

I can think of 2 that I'm sure of, but behind the scenes there are people who work on A.net but also on all VS' other sites as well. We did have 1 dedicated (I think) developer who first worked for DM and was then employed by VS, but unfortunately for us he left a few months ago.

jetero wrote:
Why would people volunteer to make money for others?

Can't speak for the others, but I am volunteering my time here because of my love for the hobby. Because I care about the site that I grew up and want to keep it alive. Without the group of dedicated volunteers that we have, I'm not sure how long A.net would survive. But I doubt this only goes for A.net though, all other photo sites are likely operating on somewhat of a volunteer basis as well.
 
treetreeseven
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:18 am

Re: Airliners.net Business Model

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

tl;dr: They buy up web properties with "organic content" (so, forums where users post stuff), stick ads all over them, and twiddle them to drive "engagement" for the ads - for example, by removing paid membership here.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fr8mech, masi1157, petertenthije and 41 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos