caliboy93
Topic Author

What are your thoughts on Valentine's Day?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:43 pm

So Valentine's day is coming up this week, and I wanted to discuss something. Do any of you think it's an offensive holiday, because it overwhelmingly romanticizes romance? I think it does because 1) many people are in unhealthy/abusive relationships 2) people who are single and unable to find a partner, and feel alienated by the heart-shaped balloons and romantic displays 3) exclusion of other forms of love.

I also think that many holidays fall into this category, because of their dark histories and exclusions of certain demographics.

TSS

Re: What are your thoughts on Valentine's Day?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 pm

This is from a similar recent thread, but it seems applicable here as well:

TSS wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Everyone's least favorite holiday is around the corner, Valentine's Day, aka Single Awareness Day.

It all depends on how you look at it: I prefer to think of February 15th as Single And Lovin' It Day, aka Dodged-A-Bullet-Day, which is traditionally celebrated by buying and consuming premium chocolates in heart-shaped containers at half or less of their original suggested retail price.

TSS wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Since this year I'll probably forget to get a girlfriend again, I'll be partaking in the alternate name for it.

Take it from a guy from whom every piece of romantic advice begins with the phrase "Don't let this happen to you…", It is far, FAR better to be alone and wish you were with somebody than to be with somebody and wish to (insert deity of your choice here) that you were alone.

Valentine's Day doesn't overwhelmingly romanticize romance, retailers use it to monetize romance in myriad ways both gross and subtle. Know when someone is trying to manipulate you and don't fall for it. Heck, game the system to your own advantage if you can… I plan to pick up either a Russell Stover or Whitman's All Dark Chocolate Assortment in a lovely heart-shaped box for less than half it's suggested retail price and less than 2/3rds what the same weight assortment would cost in a regular box come February 15th. Cha-ching, with the extra added bonus that unlike anyone I've ever dated, I can remember that I only like dark chocolate and don't care for milk chocolate at all.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

trpmb6

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 pm

It's only an exclusion if you allow it to be.

We don't celebrate valentine's day. I don't disparage others who choose to. I think the holiday is silly and mostly a way for companies to cash in. Every month has to have something to celebrate. I see people on facebook who are single asking if any of their single friends want to go out and party in celebration of their freedom. Make it what you want instead of looking at others in a loathsome way.

Don't like a holiday? Don't celebrate it.

Edit: Ok I just recalled your post from Christmas time frame. I think you should stop worrying about your love life and focus on the rest of your life. Love will find its way. Obsessing over it won't help.

einsteinboricua

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 pm

Yet another "holiday" for people to spend money they don't have on people they sorta like and give them things they don't want.

Back in high school and first years of college, I was upset that everyone was pairing up, except me. Now I don't even think about it, partly because of my sexuality (I wasn't even sure of what I wanted back then) and partly because I find it ridiculous to show affection on this one day, in a "mine is bigger than yours" fashion, where the biggest teddy bear, bouquet of flowers, or box of chocolates is the winner.

It's been 29 years of celebrating Singles' Awareness Day for me and though I'd like for it to change, I'm not losing sleep over it either.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

casinterest

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:26 pm

I am married, and my wife and I tend to celebrate with a steak dinner and wine. Win/Win. I try to score brownie points with a card and a nice set of flowers.
It works and we know we love each other. It just is a day to celebrate it .

For those of you without a significant other. Just do what my old roommate and I used to do. Go to a sports bar, drink beer, and then remark about how cheap the bill is without a significant other.

Valentine's day should be there to celebrate your love for who you have found.
It's like Father's day or Mother's day. You can celebrate those who are dads or moms, but until you are one, the holiday is not for you. it is for those that are.
Where ever you go, there you are.

seb146

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:19 am

I don't understand the need for a specific day to show the one you love that you love him/her.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

WarRI1

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:46 am

I find that after so many years of marriage that we buy each other cards, express our love and affection, and thank goodness we are around to do so. I find it a worthy tradition to do so.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 am

Should be called Valentine's Night... That's when most of the action takes place anyways.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

KFLLCFII

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:15 am

Valentine's Day?

No longer my religion. :relieved:

----------

A quick story from last Friday. . .

Toward the end of a long customer transaction at work, the guy & girl couple asked me what I was doing for Valentine's Day. . .

Me: "Valentine's Day??? :rotfl: "

They didn't seem amused. And her "angry" look and his "punch to the stomach" look told me why. :laughing:
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

CitizenJustin

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:09 pm

I won’t even know it’s VDAY unless someone reminds me.

KentB27

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:36 pm

I don't like Valentine's Day. It's so hokey and overly sentimental. There does not need to be a certain day of the year where you're supposed to show someone your appreciation for them. It's so commercialized and cliche at this point.

I also think Valentine's Day puts a lot of pressure on men to deliver. Is it not a bit outdated in 2019 for society to put all of these expectations on men for Valentine's Day? Almost everything from a marketing standpoint on Valentine's Day is geared towards men doing something for the special woman in their life. I just hate how one-sided that is!

Making restaurant reservations, buying flowers, buying chocolates, maybe a card too? Boy am I glad I'm single this year on Valentine's Day. I actually purposely avoided scheduling any dates with women on Thursday because I just don't want to deal with the crowded restaurants and unmet expectations that come with this holiday.

I also think it's unfortunate that this holiday makes a lot of people who aren't in some kind of romantic relationship feel bad about themselves.

Overall I just think there are more negative things associated with Valentine's Day than positive things. I honestly don't know many people who like this holiday, and rightfully so. It's kind of a huge pain in the ass! I'm more than happy to not partake in it.

slider

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm

Stupid as hell commercialized holiday meant to guilt people and extract money from my wallet.

If you take care of your significant other the 364 other days of the year, one artificial day means nothing.

FatCat

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 pm

I've read that P0rnhub gives Platinum membership free tomorrow.
Plus, Vodafone gives me unlimited internet traffic tomorrow.
make 2 + 2 ... :rotfl: :rotfl:
seriously, I will spend it with my wife, at home. nothing special.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Kno

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:42 pm

I hadn't put much thought into it until I dated a woman for several years who expressed to me how stupid she felt Valentines day was - we were very much in love and shared a lot of romance but we always ignored the holiday and I am grateful.

We'd rather have shared a thoughtful gift with each other and/or go out to a nice date on our own watch - which is also more genuine, less expensive, and easier to get a table at a nice restaurant.

bennett123

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Being single, it is not a big issue for me one way or the other.

Having a ‘me day’ with a big box of chocolates the day after sounds good.

invertalon

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:06 pm

FatCat wrote:
I've read that P0rnhub gives Platinum membership free tomorrow

Yes! My g/f and I are looking forward to it tomorrow evening after work! ;)

In the 15 years or so we been together, aside from some small tiny gifts or things like that, it’s always been low key. Make a nice dinner for her, enjoy some beers together, etc… Not much different from a normal day. In fact, she probably has done more for me on V-Day than I have for her… I absolutely love chocolate, so she will make me do a scavenger hunt to find it all among other things, lol. But definitely not into the going out and spending crazy amounts of money on each other and stuff.

caliboy93
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 pm

KentB27 wrote:
I don't like Valentine's Day. It's so hokey and overly sentimental. There does not need to be a certain day of the year where you're supposed to show someone your appreciation for them. It's so commercialized and cliche at this point.

I also think Valentine's Day puts a lot of pressure on men to deliver. Is it not a bit outdated in 2019 for society to put all of these expectations on men for Valentine's Day? Almost everything from a marketing standpoint on Valentine's Day is geared towards men doing something for the special woman in their life. I just hate how one-sided that is!

Making restaurant reservations, buying flowers, buying chocolates, maybe a card too? Boy am I glad I'm single this year on Valentine's Day. I actually purposely avoided scheduling any dates with women on Thursday because I just don't want to deal with the crowded restaurants and unmet expectations that come with this holiday.

I also think it's unfortunate that this holiday makes a lot of people who aren't in some kind of romantic relationship feel bad about themselves.

Overall I just think there are more negative things associated with Valentine's Day than positive things. I honestly don't know many people who like this holiday, and rightfully so. It's kind of a huge pain in the ass! I'm more than happy to not partake in it.

As a single I find myself longing for a partner every day, not just on Valentine's day. I am well into adulthood and never been in a relationship before, and I keep getting turned down by people. It almost feels like being unemployed and not being able to find jobs.

BlueberryWheats

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Mrs. Blueberrywheats and I don't go all out over top. I'll cook a fancy dinner after work tomorrow, crack open some wine and send the kid to bed.

But to be honest, that routine is near enough a weekly occurrence in our house when my work allows me to come home in time to cook. So Valentine's day goes by mostly unnoticed.

I do in for any of these tacky, vulgar displays like heart shaped chocolate boxes etc. I feel that the people who need to go to all that are kind of reassuring themselves that they're in love.

StormRider

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:07 am

caliboy93 wrote:
So Valentine's day is coming up this week, and I wanted to discuss something. Do any of you think it's an offensive holiday, because it overwhelmingly romanticizes romance? I think it does because 1) many people are in unhealthy/abusive relationships 2) people who are single and unable to find a partner, and feel alienated by the heart-shaped balloons and romantic displays 3) exclusion of other forms of love.

Well like most "holidays" it is super commercialized and we get constantly bombarded by advertising telling us what to buy/do on this "special" day. Personally I think it is cheesy nonsense.
Not entirely getting why it would be offensive though?

aviationaware

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:02 am

My boyfriend is cooking dinner for me <3 CBA to go out for overpriced dinner because everyone wants to go that one night.

Dieuwer

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:09 am

Let's cancel all these "holidays": Valentines, Presidents', Easter, Columbus, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Instead, everyone should receive - by law - a dozen or so "free days to take" where you get paid but don't have to show up at work.

TSS

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:16 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Let's cancel all these "holidays": Valentines, Presidents', Easter, Columbus, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Instead, everyone should receive - by law - a dozen or so "free days to take" where you get paid but don't have to show up at work.

I'm all for that suggestion, but most folks would balk at the very thought of it because family. I will add that if I got Valentine's Day off from work, I'd be much more in favor of it.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

TTailedTiger

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:30 am

There's nothing special about a day that you have to share with millions of others.

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:16 am

it's fun, when your a kid, getting all the valentine day cards from your classmates in a tin foil covered box, then in high school people could buy you roses, and they would be delivered first period, then after that, you either got roses, or you didn't. now i'm at the age, that i don't do roses, but i make sure i send my grand babies something special so they know they are loved. I think this holiday is great. I miss sending valentine day cards, to my grandparents, but at least i get to send them to my parents. my husband pretty good at getting me thoughtful valentine day card, and i return the favor by making him his favorite foods. What's not to like about this holiday?

KentB27

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:28 am

caliboy93 wrote:
As a single I find myself longing for a partner every day, not just on Valentine's day. I am well into adulthood and never been in a relationship before, and I keep getting turned down by people. It almost feels like being unemployed and not being able to find jobs.

I can definitely emphasize with how you feel. I'm 28 and I've spent most of my adult life striking out with women left and right and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. The messed up part is that there's actually a chance that I'm not doing anything wrong at all. Some people won't be romantically attracted to you no matter what you do, and unfortunately a lot of people aren't going to be honest with you if you ask them why they aren't interested in dating you. Think about it this way though, it is far better to be single and wish you were in a relationship than it is to be in a relationship and wish you were single. I've been there before and it's no fun. Keep your head up though. Dating is a huge numbers game. More often than not it isn't going to work out. Don't let that discourage you. Dating is tough! If it was easy then no one would be single. My dad always tells me that for every person that says "no" to you, you're just one step closer to someone that says "yes".

jetero

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:30 pm

aviationaware wrote:
My boyfriend is cooking dinner for me <3 CBA to go out for overpriced dinner because everyone wants to go that one night.

I wish you and your boyfriend a wonderful dinner, AA.