Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Former Continental Airlines Headquarters at LAX to be torn down

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:18 am

The office complex that served as the headquarters (aka the G.O.) of Continental Airlines between 1963-1982 located at LAX during the famous Robert F. Six years, will be demolished in the coming months.

The facility housed administrative offices, cockpit and flight training center, a catering facility, and separate adjacent hangar complex.

With Texas International Airlines takeover the headquarters moved to Houston.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzOaFKhUcAAeEFZ.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzOaFreV4AA-9be.jpg
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

msp747

Re: Former Continental Airlines Headquarters at LAX to be torn down

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:26 am

Did CO use this facility for anything else after 1982? Or did LAX use it for something? I can't imagine the airport would just let it sit vacant since 1982.

Any plans for the site once the building is torn down?

janders

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 am

To think several airlines made LAX their headquarters back in the day - Continental, Western, Flying Tigers, etc
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 am

msp747 wrote:
Did CO use this facility for anything else after 1982? Or did LAX use it for something? I can't imagine the airport would just let it sit vacant since 1982.

The large adjacent hangar complex continued to be used by CO and today by UA, though they will be consolidating soon into yet to be built additional hangar at the existing UA maintenance area.
Additionally, the catering facility remained until Chelsea closed its LAX kitchen a few years back, while training center remained at LAX for a few years even as admin work moved to Houston.

Over the years, LAWA has also used portions of the building for overflow offices and random uses.

For the future, nothing directly planned, just overall airfield projects like a modified service road, security checkpoint, and some renovations of hangar complex for other tenants.

william

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:40 am

LAXintl wrote:
msp747 wrote:

The large adjacent hangar complex continued to be used by CO and today by UA, though they will be consolidating soon into yet to be built additional hangar at the existing UA maintenance area.
Additionally, the catering facility remained until Chelsea closed its LAX kitchen a few years back, while training center remained at LAX for a few years even as admin work moved to Houston.

Over the years, LAWA has also used portions of the building for overflow offices and random uses.

For the future, nothing directly planned, just overall airfield projects like a modified service road, security checkpoint, and some renovations of hangar complex for other tenants.

So if nothing is planned for this spot why tear it down?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 am

It cost money to maintain essentially abandoned buildings.

With little chance of anyone ever wanting to take over the facility and required environmental remediation, it's more cost effective to tear it down.

davescj

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:04 am

Also empty buildings become security and insurance liability that is unnecessary. If the area is clear, you can see who (or what) is there much more easily. And should you want to expand, you have some clear space.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

UPlog

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 am

Back in the day, I used to frequent the big Chelsea run cafeteria. Had some good grilled burgers.

So I guess UA won't have to deal with having split maintenance facilities at LAX anymore? Must be a logistical pain what they have been doing since the merger.
I fly your boxes

sunking737

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:10 am

Does anyone know if Delta is still using the old Western Airlines building also at LAX??
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

n7371f

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:06 am

CO shuttered the LAX heavy maintenance base in Gordon's early days and gave up a large portion of the hangar lease. At some point, they started releasing some/all the space.

Facility always reminded me of Frontier's General Office complex at Stapleton. Very similar design. Same era. Everything housed under one roof.

pretzelboy

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:46 am

A lot of fond memories there circa 1990 - 1994. It was my first introduction into aircraft overhaul - from the landing gear and engine shops tp the clean shop (most likely a superfund site) to the hangar bays. to this day, i remember walking though the hangar and seeing my first 747-100 (a/c 10 or 11) on jacks with the gear retracted. an amazing sight.

every once in a while we would go into Robert Six's old office on the 3rd floor.

it was an amazing place and i'll be sad to see it go.

BAINY3

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:09 am

Interesting to see the fate of former HQs. At MSP it's interesting that NW's old headquarters has been demolished and replaced with a Minnesota Vikings training center, but the even older NC/RC HQ on airport grounds is still in use and houses some Delta offices. And I'm not sure where NW was headquartered before they built the Eagan campus. I assume they were also headquartered on airport grounds but not sure where.

September11

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:29 am

I didn't forget the story about Continental Vice President's suicide in that building
Airliners.net of the Future

DL747400

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Can someone post a Google Maps link showing the location of the former CO Headquarters Building?
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

pretzelboy

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 pm

Google 7300 World Way West

B757Forever

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Does anyone know if Delta is still using the old Western Airlines building also at LAX??

To the best of my knowledge, DL is no longer using any of the Western facilities. However, DL is currently building a new hangar at LAX.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

BeowulfShaeffer

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 pm

DL747400 wrote:
Can someone post a Google Maps link showing the location of the former CO Headquarters Building?

I believe this is it:
https://goo.gl/maps/k7nFkUJgb392

WA707atMSP

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm

BAINY3 wrote:
Interesting to see the fate of former HQs. At MSP it's interesting that NW's old headquarters has been demolished and replaced with a Minnesota Vikings training center, but the even older NC/RC HQ on airport grounds is still in use and houses some Delta offices. And I'm not sure where NW was headquartered before they built the Eagan campus. I assume they were also headquartered on airport grounds but not sure where.

During the Don Nyrop era, NW's headquarters was a windowless building between their hangars and the MSP parking lot; its exterior walls were painted blue. Nyrop made the building windowless partly to ensure employees would not waste time looking out the window, and partly so the building would be better insulated, to reduce the airline's heating bills.

NW moved to their Eagan headquarters around the time of the merger with Republic; the old NW headquarters was used for offices until it, and the adjoining narrow body hangar, were torn down a few years ago.

bob75013

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:05 pm

davescj wrote:
Also empty buildings become security and insurance liability that is unnecessary. If the area is clear, you can see who (or what) is there much more easily. And should you want to expand, you have some clear space.

Also, property taxes on a building will be higher than on just the land

Italianflyer

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:14 pm

"During the Don Nyrop era, NW's headquarters was a windowless building between their hangars and the MSP parking lot; its exterior walls were painted blue. Nyrop made the building windowless partly to ensure employees would not waste time looking out the window, and partly so the building would be better insulated, to reduce the airline's heating bills. "

Was that the Cargo & Inflight training center known as Building F?

n901wa

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Same with the Western Airlines Building on Century. Its getting ready to be torn down soon. Delta does use the Western DC-10 HGR and the 4 story building attached to it. But we are being relocated to temp buildings until the new hgr is done in a few weeks.
Last edited by n901wa on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WA707atMSP

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Italianflyer wrote:
"During the Don Nyrop era, NW's headquarters was a windowless building between their hangars and the MSP parking lot; its exterior walls were painted blue. Nyrop made the building windowless partly to ensure employees would not waste time looking out the window, and partly so the building would be better insulated, to reduce the airline's heating bills. "

No, it wasn't.

The old NW headquarters was Building B. If you look on Google Maps, Building B used to stand on the grassy area next to the post office, between Northwest Drive and the ramp area, southeast of the G concourse.

heretothere

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:56 pm

n901wa wrote:
Same with the Western Airlines Building on Century. Its getting ready to be torn down soon. Delta does use the Western DC-10 HGR and the 4 story building attached to it. But we are being relocated to temp buildings until the new hgr is done in a few weeks.

B757Forever wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, DL is no longer using any of the Western facilities. However, DL is currently building a new hangar at LAX.

Sorry to take this slightly off topic, but where is the new DL hangar located?

n901wa

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Its going up down at the South West pad next to the Qantas Hgr. But that won't be done until the end of the year and we have to be out of the WAL Hgr April 1st.

CantbeGrounded

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 pm

Emotional - my dad worked in the hangar for 26 years (1963-1989) and I feel like I grew up there! Oh the pre-9/11 days of roaming around with just a "visitors" sticker....!

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 pm

UPlog wrote:
Back in the day, I used to frequent the big Chelsea run cafeteria. Had some good grilled burgers.

Indeed the cafeteria was not bad.

UPlog wrote:
So I guess UA won't have to deal with having split maintenance facilities at LAX anymore? Must be a logistical pain what they have been doing since the merger.

I'd suppose having everything in one (albeit smaller) consolidated location will certainly help make things operationally and logistically easier.

sunking737 wrote:

Moved out. LAWA Police has been using it for some overflow offices, and some random sub-leases.

n7371f wrote:
CO shuttered the LAX heavy maintenance base in Gordon's early days and gave up a large portion of the hangar lease. At some point, they started releasing some/all the space.

While the heavy maintenance work and support shops activity largely ended, the facility still remained active with smaller checks and

September11 wrote:
I didn't forget the story about Continental Vice President's suicide in that building

It was the CO president - A.L. Feldman, apparently despondent over the Texas Air take over of CO.

n901wa wrote:
Same with the Western Airlines Building on Century. Its getting ready to be torn down soon. Delta does use the Western DC-10 HGR and the 4 story building attached to it. But we are being relocated to temp buildings until the new hgr is done.

Actually, DL dropped the hangar and adjacent facility leases in its bankruptcy as it was trimming back things at LAX, and instead opted to pays LAWA on a per-use basis for the facility. In hindsight maybe not the best of a move, as it became a more costly manner to operate at the airport.

terence757

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Flew the sims in the early 90's back in the not so good old days.

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:04 pm

n901wa wrote:

Got a photo of the soon to be demolished Western headquarters?

codc10

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Amazing that the old CO logo is still partially visible to this day! I assume the building just to the west of this one was also a CO facility, given the similar facade?

As an aside, did Continental occupy offices in a high-rise in El Segundo at any point?

WALmsp

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
n901wa wrote:

The original hanger is in the bottom left of this image. WAL HQ offices were along the north side along Century Boulevard and the DC-10 hanger is on the west end of the building.
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

n901wa

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:53 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
n901wa wrote:

Sorry I tried to post them, but doesn't work. I took some pictures of the Sim Building too.

n901wa

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:04 pm

LAXintl wrote:
UPlog wrote:

Indeed the cafeteria was not bad.

UPlog wrote:

I'd suppose having everything in one (albeit smaller) consolidated location will certainly help make things operationally and logistically easier.

sunking737 wrote:

Moved out. LAWA Police has been using it for some overflow offices, and some random sub-leases.

n7371f wrote:

While the heavy maintenance work and support shops activity largely ended, the facility still remained active with smaller checks and

September11 wrote:

It was the CO president - A.L. Feldman, apparently despondent over the Texas Air take over of CO.

n901wa wrote:
Same with the Western Airlines Building on Century. Its getting ready to be torn down soon. Delta does use the Western DC-10 HGR and the 4 story building attached to it. But we are being relocated to temp buildings until the new hgr is done.

Actually, DL dropped the hangar and adjacent facility leases in its bankruptcy as it was trimming back things at LAX, and instead opted to pays LAWA on a per-use basis for the facility. In hindsight maybe not the best of a move, as it became a more costly manner to operate at the airport.

Oh the Breakfast Burrito at the CAL Cafeteria was awesome! I think I put on 50lbs in there :)
Yeah I agree, but they really had to cut something at that time. We were in bad shape. And really that spot on century is soo bad now with traffic, and the DC-10 HGR is too small for anything larger then a 767-400, I think we would have to move anyway, and the city wants the land to build the Rail line. The drawings I have seen shows it going right thru my office :) Just wish we could stay there until our new hgr is finished :)

aklrno

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:08 pm

n901wa wrote:

Isn't the old Western hangar in the way of the new APM? It crosses Century Blvd. right around there.

With the various maintenance hangars already demolished or to be demolished soon for the rest of the midfield concourse, space for maintenance, offices, and RON parking must be getting too valuable west of the passenger terminals to waste with an obsolete structure.

n901wa

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:24 am

aklrno wrote:
n901wa wrote:

Isn't the old Western hangar in the way of the new APM? It crosses Century Blvd. right around there.

With the various maintenance hangars already demolished or to be demolished soon for the rest of the midfield concourse, space for maintenance, offices, and RON parking must be getting too valuable west of the passenger terminals to waste with an obsolete structure.

Oh yeah. The drawings show its going right thru my Office. That's why its being torn down. Oh yeah its tuff. Employee parking too. We have to move into temp Trailers until our new hgr is done.

WALmsp

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:37 am

Century Blvd. view
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

slcguy

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Everybody that enters LAX on Century drives past the Western building. It is the long 4 story building on the south side of Century just before the big L A X block sign and interchange of Hwy 1. If you are looking at Google Earth/maps start at the classic LAX arched structure and go east past the old tower and just past the Hwy 1 interchange it is the large building and hangar complex on the south side of Century. The Continental building is a bit harder to locate. On Google find Westchester Drive which runs just on the north side of LAX. follow it west to the west side of the airport where it meets Pershing Drive. Go south on Pershing to World Way W then go east on World Way W about 3/4 mile, the Continental building and hangar is on the right (south) side opposite the fuel farm tanks. Once you've located these buildings on Google, you can go to street view to see what they look like now.

BAINY3

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

No, it wasn't.

The old NW headquarters was Building B. If you look on Google Maps, Building B used to stand on the grassy area next to the post office, between Northwest Drive and the ramp area, southeast of the G concourse.

Distrusting employees so much to not let them see outside is classic NWA. Was Building B that one that would sometimes have big murals on the side of it?

WA707atMSP

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:24 pm

BAINY3 wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

No, it wasn't.

Distrusting employees so much to not let them see outside is classic NWA. Was Building B that one that would sometimes have big murals on the side of it?

Yes. The part of the headquarters complex with the murals was the old narrow body hangar, which has been torn down. The headquarters part of Building B was between the hangar and the road in / out of the terminal.

In the 1960s and 1970s, it was interesting to compare NW's headquarters with Pan Am's, but also to compare NW's balance sheet (almost no debt) with Pan Am's (lots of debt). In the 1970s, Northwest and Delta were by far the most profitable airlines, and both airlines had very austere headquarters buildings; they chose to keep costs as low as possible, to ensure they would be profitable in good times and in bad times.

slcguy

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:42 pm

slcguy wrote:
Everybody that enters LAX on Century drives past the Western building. It is the long 4 story building on the south side of Century just before the big L A X block sign and interchange of Hwy 1. If you are looking at Google Earth/maps start at the classic LAX arched structure and go east past the old tower and just past the Hwy 1 interchange it is the large building and hangar complex on the south side of Century. The Continental building is a bit harder to locate. On Google find Westchester Drive which runs just on the north side of LAX. follow it west to the west side of the airport where it meets Pershing Drive. Go south on Pershing to World Way W then go east on World Way W about 3/4 mile, the Continental building and hangar is on the right (south) side opposite the fuel farm tanks. Once you've located these buildings on Google, you can go to street view to see what they look like now.

For those looking on Google, you can also find the Continental building by starting at the arched structure and go westward past the Bradley terminal and north/south taxiways until you see a roughly east-west road which is World Way W, again the easily seen white fuel farm tanks are on the north side of the road. the building and associated hangars are opposite on the south side. While the headquarters building isn't in use the hangars facing the 7-25 runway complex are now used by American. Site of the B763 engine fire a number of years ago.

WA707atMSP

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:58 pm

codc10 wrote:
Amazing that the old CO logo is still partially visible to this day! I assume the building just to the west of this one was also a CO facility, given the similar facade?

As an aside, did Continental occupy offices in a high-rise in El Segundo at any point?

You are correct. In the early 1970s, CO bought a 15 story office building, "Continental Plaza". The building is at 101 Continental Boulevard, at the northwest corner of Continental Boulevard and El Segundo Boulevard (a block east of Sepulveda, and a block south of the Mattel building).

Texas Air sold the building after the takeover, and it now has "Northrup Grumman" signage.

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:39 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
You are correct. In the early 1970s, CO bought a 15 story office building, "Continental Plaza". The building is at 101 Continental Boulevard, at the northwest corner of Continental Boulevard and El Segundo Boulevard (a block east of Sepulveda, and a block south of the Mattel building).

Texas Air sold the building after the takeover, and it now has "Northrup Grumman" signage.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9162358 ... 384!8i8192

Revelation

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:26 pm

bob75013 wrote:
davescj wrote:

Also, property taxes on a building will be higher than on just the land

:checkmark:

Back in my youth the town and its largest employer could not agree on the taxation of some underutilized buildings so the company just ripped them down and the town had to tax the area at the rate of undeveloped land.

In the end, both sides suffered, but egos were protected.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own