Airstud
Topic Author

Auto insurance claimoid

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:01 am

On Sunday I was driving as slowly on Interstate 394 as everyone else was, 'cause the roads were all icy and snowy and gross.

I was also maintaining the correct distance between my car and that of the dude in front of me.

(It's not like y'all don't know where this is going at this point...)

1. The ice was discourteous enough not to relay the obvious instructions being relayed to the road (namely, "accommodate the requested stoppage") by my spanking-new front brakes and allowed my car to instead continue its forward trajectory into a SUV; nice going.

2. The damage to the SUV's rear bumper was minimal and the dude ("Crashee") was all nice and stuff; I gave him my insurance info but told him I'd prefer to see if I could do this out of pocket (keep maybe my premiums low-like).

3. I got an email Sunday night or Monday morning from my insurer saying "The email contacts for your claim have been updated." See, I didn't file no claim; texted Crashee who said he's on board with me paying out o' pocket but he needed to file the claim to protect himself.

4. He texted me early Wednesday with the estimate from the body shop: $365. That same day, I drove to said body shop and plunked down a $400 cash deposit (got a receipt for it of course) and texted him that that had been done.

I now think things really are done, but what I want to do now - mind you this is my first car accidentette so I've not been through this at all before :boggled: - is to see if whatever the heck is in process at my insurance company can be closed with a note that "This matter has been resolved amicably between the parties without insurance involvement AND WITHOUT EITHER PARTY BEING DEEMED CULPABLE" [or words to that effect]. For indeed no human being bore culpability for this, 'twas the ice that committed criminal neglect.

See, I don't know if the insurance company's systems automatically deem me a worse driver just off of someone filing (or starting to file) a claim; I'm disappointed that the only way I found out about the claim was an email "updating the contacts" and didn't get a "Oh, btw someone totally filed an insurance claim against you; we thought maybe we should let you know." I also don't know if any info has gone into whatever shared repositories the insurance companies use (they must share claim histories & driving records among each other somehow, like the way credit card companies share payment data into Experian & Equifax & those guys?) and whether there's going to be negative impact on any future quotes when I go shopping for liability insurance in the future.

Is it reasonable to ask Crashee to agree to "co-sign" a communiqué like that? I mean I've laid down the cash for the repairs and the body shop certifies that they have it so he's not in any kind of financial peril at this point, right?

-- worried and disoriented -- :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

sccutler

Re: Auto insurance claimoid

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:55 am

Won’t help. Auto insurance carriers rate based upon both claims paid, and “incidents.”

That said, hats off to you for stepping up.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

trpmb6

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:10 pm

This is where I think having a personal relationship with your insurance agent is infinitely more valuable than getting a slightly lower rate from an insurance company on the internet.

I think of my insurance agent as a body guard against higher rates. He has protected me a lot from unnecessary rate increases, and in fact has found opportunities for me to get lower rates on several occasions. In return, I come back to him with additional business. I basically have everything through him now and will continue to do so for as long as he continues to operate.

In a situation such as this, he would tell me that if the damage was below my deductible to handle it with the other party via cash and that he is none the wiser to the situation - even if the other party's insurance company filed a claim with mine.

I hope they get it figured out for you Airstud, I personally don't think anyone should see their rate increase because of a natural event. Just like you shouldn't see your rate increase because you received hail damage - after all, that should already be factored into their premium calculations.

910A

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Insurance agents the forgotten people who could navigate the waters for you..Another factor is the insurance company itself. Some are totally unreasonable and others are forgiving. Wait for a couple of months and pull up your CLUE report. (It's a report that shows the seven-year history of loss associated with a person and a piece of property, such as a house or a car.)
Pray that the other driver isn't short on cash, and suddenly develop back pain..Congrats on having what appears to be a lengthy driving history without an at fault accident.

casinterest

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:30 pm

Hopefully it goes well, but my guess would be that if the claim was below the deductible that the insurance companies would have a bucket for that. But I may have too high of hopes.

Congrats on stepping up in the matter though.

I know I wouldn't have filed personally. I was in stop and go for 10 minutes with the same guy in back of me once, and he then proceeded to hit me accidentally. I checked the damage. 200 bucks I would reckon to a plastic bumper and moved on.

Oh well
Where ever you go, there you are.

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:05 am

So how to find an insurance agent? I kinda had one when I was with State Farm, see; there was an ad on a bus bench directly outside the apartment building I was living in; the ad was from the "local" State Farm agent - who was in fact a completely different agent from the one State Farm's website directed me to when I punched in my ZIP code. tee hee hee

Except, see, he was a State Farm agent only. You saying I can find one who can "navigate" the waters and find me the best rate available among competing companies?
Pancakes are delicious.

anrec80

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 am

910A wrote:
Pray that the other driver isn't short on cash, and suddenly develop back pain..Congrats on having what appears to be a lengthy driving history without an at fault accident.

For that, I’d try to meet him up and have him sign a claims release letter, so that there’s something in writing that he won’t have any further claims against you.

Jouhou

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 am

I didn't think insurance agents were even still relevent...

I've only had my car messed up by others while it was in a parked position. I find one of greatest advantages of insurance is the companies will fight out responsibility or lack thereof amongst themselves and you don't have to worry about that end of things.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:57 am

I'm a AAA+ member - has anyone ever used AAA's insurance-finding service & have anything to say about it?
Pancakes are delicious.

WIederling

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:29 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
This is where I think having a personal relationship with your insurance agent is infinitely more valuable than getting a slightly lower rate from an insurance company on the internet.

(Germany): I found this to no longer be the case. ( OK, for me in context of some storm damage )
Back when the insurance guy reliably worked as my agent into the insurance.
( for the relevant insurance that invariably was a person with a day job and a side interest in doing insurance things.)
Today the insurance guy is the insurance's agent into my pocket. no loyalty.

( for car stuff : here you can decide to buy buy back your accident till about year end and if you do it "vanishes".
caveat: repair cost skyrockets when the assessment is done "under insurance coming up for the damage". )
Murphy is an optimist