expat92
Topic Author

Buying a replacement......what would you do?

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:12 pm

Scenario: You've bought a mains/battery home machine. Several weeks afterwards, you lose the charging cable. The battery is not consumer accessible. You find that there are no aftermarket chargers made; not even by the product manufacturer. So you are left with an otherwise fully functional, virtually brand new unusable machine and have to get a new one. Price is not a factor. Do you ( and reasoning would be helpful) ...

A) get an exact replacement. This way when the battery eventually no longer holds a charges you have a replacement machine sitting there and don't have to buy another machine. However if the charger is lost or breaks, your back to square one and have to buy a third machine. Remember you have already managed to throw one charger in the recycling.

B) 1. throw away a nearly new, otherwise fully functional machine. Buy a different machine that you can get a replacement charger for if you have another brain dead moment. This accepts that when the new machine's battery no longer holds a charge, you will have throw it away and buy a third machine.

2. Throw away a nearly new, otherwise fully functional machine. Buy a different battery only machine that has no charger to lose/break, just removable single use or rechargeable batteries. However this accepts that this type of machine normally has somewhat inferior performance.

I don't know that there is a right answer to this, but I have noticed that my beard is now dunking into my soup bowl as I have this internal debate. :eek: :scratchchin:

expat92

Dutchy

Re: Buying a replacement......what would you do?

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Let me get this right, you lost the cable, and the company whom sold you this, is unable to get a replacement from the manufacturer? Seems strange to me.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Channex757

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Definitely B as batteries are increasingly becoming transparent in use. No memory effects and longer service life meaning they are just not a consideration any longer.

Cut your losses and bin the piece of crap you mistakenly bought in the first place, then replace it with something that's simple and reliable to use. And buy a spare charger for it.

WIederling

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:50 pm

I look on ebay or alibaba, .. first for a replacement charger.
maybe someone killed the appliance and sits on a spare charger now.
next
try to sell the orphaned item on ebay.

buy a new "thingy" with learning applied. :-)
Murphy is an optimist

expat92
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Let me get this right, you lost the cable, and the company whom sold you this, is unable to get a replacement from the manufacturer? Seems strange to me.

Me too and it is a big name reputable company. However I emailed them and they confirmed that they do not sell replacement chargers. They did suggest a couple of aftermarket companies. When emailed, they could not help either. Ditto ebay and amazon. Who would have thought to check into replacement chargers when making a buying decision. Obviously not me :sigh: .
expat92

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:23 pm

expat92 wrote:
and it is a big name reputable company.

If it is just a few weeks old, ask them to take it back and issue a full refund.

Nowadays hardly any components are custom made. Most designs are based on off-the-shelf components. The only drawback, it may be off-the-shelf in China, not in the USA.

I had an Earthquake brand tiller with a 4-cycle engine. 5 year later, the engine lost compression. When I called, they told it is cheaper to buy new tiller than the engine. Did bit of research, it is some Chinese brand engine used for mini-bikes. Not worth buying on Alibaba express. Bought a new tiller.

WildcatYXU

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Go to the store where you purchased the machine. Take pictures of the label on the charger and of the plug. Then either buy an aftermarket charger if a combination of proper voltage/current/plug is available, or have someone build it for you.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

expat92
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
expat92 wrote:
and it is a big name reputable company.

If it is just a few weeks old, ask them to take it back and issue a full refund.

Me: Dear Mr company, I lost my charging cable but I want you to take back the product and give me a full refund.

Company: (after laughing themselves silly). Sonny you want usto pay you for losing your charging cable. Now you just run back to mommy and she will tell another fairytale. (polite version of what they would actually say).

expat92

ps: anybody know which setting to change when I am trying to edit what I type. At the moment it overwrites what I typed previously instead of inserting. This is the only site that does it so I assume I have my profile set up wrong somehow.

planewasted

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:58 pm

I would just check the Voltage and Current requirements, if it wants AC or DC (most probably DC but check!) and connect my laboratory power supply to it. If something more portable is required just buy a power supply with similar ratings.

expat92
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:00 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
Go to the store where you purchased the machine. Take pictures of the label on the charger and of the plug. Then either buy an aftermarket charger if a combination of proper voltage/current/plug is available, or have someone build it for you.

not to sure how Amazon would feel about me wandering around their warehouse.

NOBODY makes an aftermarket charger. it has a very specific connector not exactly like any I have seen before. Oh and to forestall any other similar suggestions I have absolutely no talent for constructing things - at least none that won't blow up on me when I try to use them.

(me: this was supposed to be a light philosophical thread more about the dichotomy of thought processes and waste in modern society. That's why I have not named the product. both are equally valid solutions but which would you chose? where did I go wrong?)
(other me: you hit the submit button on the first post; you moron :banghead: )
expat92
Last edited by expat92 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:13 pm

If you have no privacy concerns, can you post the actual equipment name or link?

WIederling

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm

expat92 wrote:
it has a very specific connector not exactly like any I have seen before.

I was asked to "improve" on a 12vDC supply on a sailboat -> 12DC to 220v AC converter -> 220V AC Wallwart with 12V dc output -> some Sleep Apnea breather apparatus.
Everything ok but the dedicated power supply has a data link to the breather apparatus.
"Wrong power supply attached" blääääääää!!
Murphy is an optimist

expat92
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:34 pm

expat92 wrote:

(me: this was supposed to be a light philosophical thread more about the dichotomy of thought processes and waste in modern society. That's why I have not named the product. both are equally valid solutions but which would you chose? where did I go wrong?)
(other me: you hit the submit button on the first post; you moron :banghead: )
expat92

I see on CNN that the great blond one is about to declare a national emergency. That should be fun, thank god I don't live in America.
Er wait a second, I live in the UK. Brexit anyone.
Maybe I better emigrate to the USA.
Ah well, lunch time, the nurse is just coming in to undo the straps on my jacket. why do they always strap your arms, isn't the padded room enough.
time to sign off.

Expat 92
Last edited by expat92 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildcatYXU

Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:21 pm

expat92 wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:

not to sure how Amazon would feel about me wandering around their warehouse.

Yes, I can see this being a problem :) But then, you have 30 days to return the item. Order another one, find out all you can about the power supply/charger and send it back. Easy.

And yes, I understand that finding the proper connector may be a problem. But I sort of doubt that it's impossible.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40