mham001

Re: Trump declares national emergency for the wall

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Revelation wrote:
Neither sides want to do anything to upset their monied supporters so instead we get political theater.

I see this a lot but if you look at it, the opposition is overwhelmingly Democrat. Just for a start, check out the states restricting E-Verify.

NIKV69

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Revelation wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Yep, the real effective way to deal with illegal immigration (both border crossers and overstays) is to crack down on the employers of illegal immigrants. Neither sides want to do anything to upset their monied supporters so instead we get political theater.

KICT wrote:
It is amazing just how many of you keep falling for the long con. Trump (a life long Democrat) was offered $25 billion for the wall over a year ago during bipartisan talks, but he *walked away from the deal*. Then he was offered $7.5B, $5B, $2.5B, and walked away from those too. Magically, right when the GOP lost control of the House, he shuts down the gov't. Then he got $0 billion, and then declares the nat'l emergency. Why? Because he DOESN'T CARE about the wall being built. He just wants to RUN ON IT.

The wall is never going to be built.

Quit being a sucker. He is a con artist, and you are all being conned.

:checkmark:

This is all political theater. Sad to see how many people get so engaged by such nonsense. As PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute...

What about the beneifits CA and other states give them once they get here? Sure we have made it easy for people to come here and once they are here but to pretend it's just the employers and not elected officials is being very shortsighted. The message we should be sending is it's not right to come here illegally instead of just get here and you can go to school not be deported etc.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

KICT

Re: Trump declares national emergency for the wall no

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:48 pm

"It's not right to come here illegally, unless you are a Slovenian mail order bride." And then there's the issue of undocumented immigrants working at his resorts...

He has no credibility on the issue. None.
People are saying. Believe me.

mham001

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:02 pm

KICT wrote:
"It's not right to come here illegally, unless you are a Slovenian mail order bride." And then there's the issue of undocumented immigrants working at his resorts...

And then people like you trash him or his organization when they fire those people.

You have no credibility on this issue either.

KICT

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:25 pm

So typical of a MAGAt. ^

casinterest

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:28 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Yep, the real effective way to deal with illegal immigration (both border crossers and overstays) is to crack down on the employers of illegal immigrants. Neither sides want to do anything to upset their monied supporters so instead we get political theater.

:checkmark:

This is all political theater. Sad to see how many people get so engaged by such nonsense. As PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute...

What about the beneifits CA and other states give them once they get here? Sure we have made it easy for people to come here and once they are here but to pretend it's just the employers and not elected officials is being very shortsighted. The message we should be sending is it's not right to come here illegally instead of just get here and you can go to school not be deported etc.

Because no kids should have to pay for their parents mistakes, and because there are many legal migrant workers that put their kids in school while they are legally here farming and doing manufacturing jobs.
Where ever you go, there you are.

johnboy

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:17 pm

mham001 wrote:
KICT wrote:

And then people like you trash him or his organization when they fire those people.

You have no credibility on this issue either.

Well his organization hired them, in many cases for several years. So yeah, can’t really give Individual Traitor #1 a pat on the back for “doing the right thing” now can we?

Although I must say, the “you have no credibility on this issue either” reply neither makes much sense in this context nor shows much original thought.

Do better next time.

BN747

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:20 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

I looked again...and the comment is right on, with that very well worn omelete pan and the cheap plastic trash container....geez, makes one wonder if Mar-A-Lago doesn't come remotely close to the imagine portrayed and billed...

BN747

Never been to Mar-A-Lago but have stayed at his property in Vegas numerous times and it's total 5 strar from everything right down to the last detail. Staff too. You may not like him as a president but as someone in hospitality he has the just about the whole strip beat and I have been in every property.

None of what you said explains what appears to be something found in a trailer park dwelling serving as table/counter' as an omelet bar surrounded with trashy furnishings and filthy trash bin resembling those seen in alleys waiting for garbage collection.

But Vegas????

What???

Wow, you boast of visits to Vegas like it's a 'badge of honor' or something... if I were into 'Vegas'..the last thing I would do is tout it as something phenomenal, I actually shy away from admitting that I've been there, but anyhow...

...I have no idea what the Trump Vegas is like but I bet anything it isn't Vegas' top 10 in the ranks of Palm Court, Bellagio, Encore, etc.. but since I was a frequent guest at his Grand Hyatt in Manhattan (back when it was pretty good and he was a decent person back then), my guess is those Vegas properties, knowing Trump, are just a notch above Roadway Inn accommodations. But hey, it's your speed, you like it....perhaps you should apply for a PR position to solicit customers .. cause unless Trump Vegas rooms are dirt cheap I don't think business there currently is all that great.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

NIKV69

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:36 pm

casinterest wrote:
Because no kids should have to pay for their parents mistakes, and because there are many legal migrant workers that put their kids in school while they are legally here farming and doing manufacturing jobs.

I never said they should be. Problem is any immigration bill and or DREAM act that is passed will result in many people in Mexico wanting to come here illegally to get the same benefit. Which is why the border needs to be secured before any deal is reached.

BN747 wrote:

None of what you said explains what appears to be something found in a trailer park dwelling serving as table/counter' as an omelet bar surrounded with trashy furnishings and filthy trash bin resembling those seen in alleys waiting for garbage collection.

But Vegas????

What???

Wow, you boast of visits to Vegas like it's a 'badge of honor' or something... if I were into 'Vegas'..the last thing I would do is tout it as something phenomenal, I actually shy away from admitting that I've been there, but anyhow...

...I have no idea what the Trump Vegas is like but I bet anything it isn't Vegas' top 10 in the ranks of Palm Court, Bellagio, Encore, etc.. but since I was a frequent guest at his Grand Hyatt in Manhattan (back when it was pretty good and he was a decent person back then), my guess is those Vegas properties, knowing Trump, are just a notch above Roadway Inn accommodations. But hey, it's your speed, you like it....perhaps you should apply for a PR position to solicit customers .. cause unless Trump Vegas rooms are dirt cheap I don't think business there currently is all that great.

BN747

If you aren't into Vegas fine, I happen to love Clark county and bought my home here. I love the weather outside of summer and it's the best value when it comes to cost of living. I have stayed at the Bellagio, Wynn, Aria etc and personally the Venetian and Wynn are tops but Trump is on the same level. Again when it comes to the hotel world it's all relative and yes the Hyatt is nice I stayed at one in DC and it was glorious. If you want to pile on about Mar A Lago go right ahead I doubt its as bad as you make it out to be but it does nothing for me. I am not a fan of Florida and probably will never br there. To each his own I guess.

BN747

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:50 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I never said they should be. Problem is any immigration bill and or DREAM act that is passed will result in many people in Mexico wanting to come here illegally to get the same benefit. Which is why the border needs to be secured before any deal is reached.

BN747 wrote:

But Vegas????

What???

BN747

If you aren't into Vegas fine, I happen to love Clark county and bought my home here. I love the weather outside of summer and it's the best value when it comes to cost of living. I have stayed at the Bellagio, Wynn, Aria etc and personally the Venetian and Wynn are tops but Trump is on the same level. Again when it comes to the hotel world it's all relative and yes the Hyatt is nice I stayed at one in DC and it was glorious. If you want to pile on about Mar A Lago go right ahead I doubt its as bad as you make it out to be but it does nothing for me. I am not a fan of Florida and probably will never br there. To each his own I guess.

Yeah, that's why people are breaking down the doors to move to Clark county....ooo-kayyy

It's not me trashing Mar-a-Lago, the photo speaks for itself and it's owner, even a 5 year-old child could draw that conclusion.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:54 pm

CURRENTLY ACTIVE NATIONAL EMERGENCIES
(BY DECLARING POTUS)

Carter
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Trump
Trump
Trump: UNPRECEDENTED

Derico

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:08 am

"The rigged and corrupt media is the enemy of the people".

I never have interest in these threads, but this raised my eyebrows.

The reality that a president of the US is speaking these words and publicly so, makes him no better or worthy of respect than the head of some tropical fiefdom with no tradition of democracy and no robust press.

That apparently Americans and the political system seem just fine with letting him say it without any real consequences, is an indictment of modern US society and should set off massive alarn bells.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

KICT

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:22 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
(BY DECLARING POTUS)

Carter
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Trump
Trump

Whatever you do, don't elaborate on what those national emergencies are. No don't do that! That might not support your racist, xenophobic agenda!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mham001

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:25 am

KICT wrote:

Whatever you do, don't elaborate on what those national emergencies are. No don't do that! That might not support your racist, xenophobic agenda!

What do you do for a living? How long would you support illegal immigration if they stagnated your wages for 20 years - maybe even forced you out?

How long before you become a "racist xenophobe"?

The black community is the one hit the hardest, yet you continue to support the party and policies that are destroying their job market.

Why do you hate blacks?

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:35 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
(BY DECLARING POTUS)

Carter
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Trump
Trump

https://apps.npr.org/documents/document ... mergencies

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.

Let's see how honest you can be about that.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

bagoldex

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:37 am

mham001 wrote:
KICT wrote:

What do you do for a living? How long would you support illegal immigration if they stagnated your wages for 20 years - maybe even forced you out?

What do you do for a living where illegal immigrants have had an adverse impact on your wages, pick tomatoes?

Stop blaming other people for your shortcomings in life.

mham001

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 am

bagoldex wrote:
mham001 wrote:
KICT wrote:

What do you do for a living where illegal immigrants have had an adverse impact on your wages, pick tomatoes?

There is a myth. The vast majority of illegals do not work agriculture. So how much else do you not know about the subject?

BTW, I work(ed) a skilled trade in which I spent 6 years as an apprentice. Is there a problem with that?

mham001

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 am

bagoldex wrote:

So you are on record here saying that tradesmen are losers. Got it.

BTW, I grew up abused and homeless. You don't have the spine to got through what I have. Gawd I can't wait for somebody to have the balls to say that to my face.
Last edited by mham001 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

bagoldex

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 am

mham001 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
mham001 wrote:

There is a myth. The vast majority of illegals do not work agriculture. So how much else do you not know about the subject?

BTW, I work(ed) a skilled trade in which I spent 6 years as an apprentice. Is there a problem with that?

No problem at all with that but you must have really sucked at whatever you did if you're placing the blame for your professional failures with illegal immigrants.

mham001 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

So you are on record here saying that tradesmen are losers. Got it.

BTW, I grew up abused and homeless. You don't have the spine to got through what I have. Gawd I can't wait for somebody to have the balls to say that to my face.

Yet you vote Republican and shit on immigrants.
Last edited by bagoldex on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mham001

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:51 am

bagoldex wrote:
No problem at all with that but you must have really sucked at whatever you did if you're placing the blame for your professional failures with illegal immigrants.

You like to throw a lot of shit around without having any knowledge of whom you are talking to.

I can work the high end but as long as the low end is still making 1990 wages, the high end stagnates. Do you have any more dipshit imaginations?

mham001

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:59 am

bagoldex wrote:
Yet you vote Republican and shit on immigrants.

Nice obfuscation. I married a brown "immigrant". I am not married to an illegal who works under the table, sends it all home and leaves in 2 years. But from the safety of your keyboard, I am a "racist xenophobe". You would not say that to my face.

Let me tell you a story since you are so detached from reality.

I sometimes worked as a hired gun in my trade, a few days here and there with various shops. Miguel calls me, needs help. I say I get $35/hr. He balks, and even at $20/hr, he is squeeking, but I agree to work for 2 days for the experience. Miguel has 3 other workers, none speak english and they make $10/hr. He is unlicensed, pays no taxes to anybody and is loaded with work because he charges exactly what I was bidding in 1999. The work is crap, only one of his workers has any clue to run the equipment. A year after that, I hear through his cousin, also in the trade, that Miguel went back to Mexico and built Mama a new house.

So who suffered here? The consumer and the skilled Americans with a stake in this country.

As for my skills, after 30 years of self employment, I have a 5 star rating on Yelp. What do you have?
Last edited by mham001 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

NIKV69

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:12 am

Derico wrote:

The reality that a president of the US is speaking these words and publicly so, makes him no better or worthy of respect than the head of some tropical fiefdom with no tradition of democracy and no robust press.

That apparently Americans and the political system seem just fine with letting him say it without any real consequences, is an indictment of modern US society and should set off massive alarn bells.

It is a bit drastic but Trump has a bad habit of taking a point and going to the extreme. I mean it's clear the media isn't really about journalism anymore and has morphed into a campaign arm for both parties This is very problematic but Trump makes his case less credible by using toxic rhetoric.

WarRI1

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:22 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Derico wrote:

It is a bit drastic but Trump has a bad habit of taking a point and going to the extreme. I mean it's clear the media isn't really about journalism anymore and has morphed into a campaign arm for both parties This is very problematic but Trump makes his case less credible by using toxic rhetoric.

I am getting worried about you and me, this is the second time I have to agree with you. Are we going off the deep end? :eek: :eek:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:47 am

I’m not for any President having broad emergency powers other than possibly deter/react to nuclear war, but, true to form, the Democrats were for unilateral action before they were against it. Obama threatened to act on immigration if Republicans didn’t with, “Ive got a pen and I’ve got a phone”. Little Chuckie Schumer warned them the President would act, if they didn’t. Right!

GF

NIKV69

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:50 am

WarRI1 wrote:

I am getting worried about you and me, this is the second time I have to agree with you. Are we going off the deep end? :eek: :eek:

Well there isn't anyone in the world that doesn't think Joe Buck doesn't suck so. :rotfl:

johnboy

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:36 am

mham001 wrote:

As for my skills, after 30 years of self employment, I have a 5 star rating on Yelp. What do you have?

That’s quite an achievement.

tommy1808

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
(BY DECLARING POTUS)

Carter
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Trump
Trump

Joa many of those violated the expressed will of congress? As in literally expressed the day before?

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

KICT

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:37 am

Isn't it interesting that this issue became a national emergency only after the Democrats took control of the House and the 2020 campaign kicked off? Again, the long con at work...

Some history here. In the "MAGA budget" request released in 2017...

The President’s 2018 Budget requests $44.1 billion in net discretionary budget authority for DHS, a $2.8 billion or 6.8 percent increase from the 2017 annualized CR level. The Budget would allocate $4.5 billion in additional funding for programs to strengthen the security of the Nation’s borders and enhance the integrity of its immigration system. This increased investment in the Nation’s border security and immigration enforcement efforts now would ultimately save Federal resources in the future.

Secures the borders of the United States by investing $2.6 billion in high-priority tactical infrastructure and border security technology, including funding to plan, design, and construct a physical wall along the southern border as directed by the President’s January 25, 2017 Executive Order. This investment would strengthen border security, helping stem the flow of people and drugs illegally crossing the U.S. borders.

And yet this didn't get funded fully. It was cut from $2.6B to $1.6B. Why? Maybe MAGAts should ask Ryan and McConnell. They were running Congress at the time. Wall funding could NOT get through Congress then, because it did not have full Republican support.

Now today it's suddenly the Democrats fault? Hello - Dear Leader, you had full control of the Federal gov't for 2 years and couldn't get it done. What ever happened to the "best people" and being the ultimate negotiator? Schumer even offered upwards of $25B for the wall in exchange for a deal on DACA. Biff walked away from the damn deal. This was over a year ago. The wall could actually have been being built right now.

Why is all this happening? Because the President of the United States is an incompetent moron. Period, full stop.

In a way I feel sorry for MAGAts. They are being led astray and used as pawns in a political game.

Here's the bottom line. Democrats offered Trump $25 billion in wall funding for a DACA deal over a year ago, but Trump's racist, xenophobic base (via Fox News news personalities) wouldn't let Trump take the damn deal. Which means this isn't about a wall, it's about revenge. White MAGAts want to see immigrant families torn apart and sent back to their impoverished or war torn countries. This type of mentality is why some in the Federal gov't found their way to justify children being locked in cages. Makes for good TV in MAGAtville.

Family values indeed.

ltbewr

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:32 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
(BY DECLARING POTUS)

Carter
Trump
Trump

Joa many of those violated the expressed will of congress? As in literally expressed the day before?

Best regards
Thomas

Of the ones on that list, all but a few are financial and trade sanctions as to certain countries and groups that were involved with terrorism, had anti-American rouge governments, had civil wars, as well as to limit the proliferation and use of chemical, biological and nuclear weapons. One the biggest ones was as to sanctions on South Africa for apartheid. Of course there were several after 9/11 under Bush 43. The first on the list was sanctions on Iran due to the taking of USA diplomats hostage and still in effect. Of the 3 under Trump, the first is continuing in part the sanctions as to Russia for their alleged involvement in the 2016 Presidential elections, the second to limit access to property in the USA of certain citizens of Nicaragua, the 3rd is the 'wall'.

N867DA

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Non-story.

The next leader can just declare the wall an emergency and tear it down.

Eventually the entire wall will be a series of retractable bollards that are raised or lowered on the whim of whose emergency is active.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

slider

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:12 pm

KICT wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
(BY DECLARING POTUS)

Carter
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Trump
Trump

Ah, the usual hallmark of a small mind...accuse someone of being a racist. Yawn.

Protecting national sovereignty and our international borders is an absolutely constitutionally delineated responsibility of the federal government. Trump's finally doing it. Good on him.

Take your racebaiting and xenophobic bullshit and stuff it.

A3801000

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 pm

68% of people who die of drugs in the USA die of Opioids, produced and sold in the USA but you need a wall.
After declaring a 'National emergency' this caricature or a president plays golf for 2 days.
For his first 2 years there was no urgency, that just somehow happened.
On his own server, he still promotes: ' It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5- 10 billion ...' https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf
Between January 1st and February 18th 1839 people got killed and 3174 injured by guns, but immigrants are your problem?
German build cars are a National Security issue while german cars build in the USA are the most exported cars from the USA.
His tariffs to hit China have hit USA farmers so badly the USA had to borrow money from China to give it to USA farmers.
All his 3 wives were immigrants, very likely the only women he ever had sex with without having to pay a 6 digit figure, just had to make sure they can bring their families, which is called chain migration and he is very against that.

The USA in 2019 are a very, very bad joke and a laughing stock and everything but great.

johnboy

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:44 pm

slider wrote:

Ah, the usual hallmark of a small mind...accuse someone of being a racist. Yawn.

Protecting national sovereignty and our international borders is an absolutely constitutionally delineated responsibility of the federal government. Trump's finally doing it. Good on him.

Actually the debate is not (as you well know) between people wanting to protect national sovereignty and those NOT wanting to. Which really is, prima facie, a ludicrous, preposterous. and insulting representation.

Treasonous Idiot #1 is beholden to a racist, xenophobic base — I’m sure he could care less unless he were getting a cut of profits from any construction. And I wouldn’t put it past him to do that.

tommy1808

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:45 am

slider wrote:
Protecting national sovereignty and our international borders is an absolutely constitutionally delineated responsibility of the federal government. Trump's finally doing it. Good on him. .

yet congress, and congress alone, decides what the federal government spends how much money on. ...... talk about executive overreach....

best regards
Thomas

KICT

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:57 am

slider wrote:
Trump's finally doing it. Good on him.

He's "finally doing it", now that his party only controls a single house of Congress?
What a genius he is!

scbriml

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:22 am

In the World's least surprising news, a coalition of 16 States sue Trump over the national emergency declaration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47287738
The lawsuit filed on Monday seeks to block Mr Trump acting on his emergency declaration to build the wall, saying the president does not have the power to divert funds approved by Congress to pay for his project.

"We're suing President Trump to stop him from unilaterally robbing taxpayer funds lawfully set aside by Congress for the people of our states. For most of us, the office of the presidency is not a place for theatre," California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

KICT

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:41 am

┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•)
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳| Mexico was supposed to pay for it.

scbriml

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:19 am

KICT wrote:
Mexico was supposed to pay for it.

They are, through that new trade deal. It's a great trade deal. The best!

By the way, has it been ratified yet?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

KICT

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 am

scbriml wrote:
By the way, has it been ratified yet?

Nope. Trump was waiting to lose 1/2 of Congress before trying to ratify it. Brilliant.

johnboy

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:43 am

I’ve often wondered what goes thru the MAGAts’ heads with all this corrupt administration does. Are they really invested in this douche bag or are they just too embarrassed to admit they’re backing a traitor?

KICT

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 am

Selling out your country to own the libs.
Because 'merica.

ltbewr

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 am

scbriml wrote:
In the World's least surprising news, a coalition of 16 States sue Trump over the national emergency declaration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47287738
The lawsuit filed on Monday seeks to block Mr Trump acting on his emergency declaration to build the wall, saying the president does not have the power to divert funds approved by Congress to pay for his project.

"We're suing President Trump to stop him from unilaterally robbing taxpayer funds lawfully set aside by Congress for the people of our states. For most of us, the office of the presidency is not a place for theater," California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said.

The monies that could be diverted by Pres. Trump include from the military funds needed to build on-base housing and schools for active service families where are shortages of them or need extensive renovations or replacement. That is a sick insult to our military persons.Too bad they couldn't be take from some profits of the big military contractors or from killing off some useless but for politics and bloated weapon program. Funds would be diverted from seized drug crime monies, instead of maybe going to rehab programs or to expand enforcement. The states in particular are angry over taking of disaster relief monies, even where still needed for recent disasters like fire and flooding in California. At the least, the states (and I hope Puerto Rico joins in) can stall the funding transfers. I hope it gets dragged out to Feb. 2021. Pres. Trump hopes in the end his right wing loaded Supreme Court will support his transfers on the grounds of Executive powers, but if true conservatives, won't go along.

sierrakilo44

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am

KICT wrote:
Selling out your country to own the libs.
Because 'merica.

Probably the most true sentiment of all.

I've tried to appeal to conservatives by showing them how Trump is really bad for the economy, the debt, peace, trade, on social issues etc but what it all boils down to for them is "More than anything else in this world I hate Liberals, Liberals hate Trump, therefore I love Trump and nothing you say will make me change my mind".

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:17 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
slider wrote:
Protecting national sovereignty and our international borders is an absolutely constitutionally delineated responsibility of the federal government. Trump's finally doing it. Good on him. .

yet congress, and congress alone, decides what the federal government spends how much money on. ...... talk about executive overreach....

best regards
Thomas

And Congress in 1976 gave the President a power that never previously existed—to declare an emergency and use appropriated, but unobligated, funds to met that emergency. They did it because presidents kept doing so and Congress never wanted to oppose a popular action and face the voters.

GF

slider

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:34 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
slider wrote:

best regards
Thomas

And Congress in 1976 gave the President a power that never previously existed—to declare an emergency and use appropriated, but unobligated, funds to met that emergency. They did it because presidents kept doing so and Congress never wanted to oppose a popular action and face the voters.

GF

Exactly. Now, I find that to be unconstitutional and stand by that. But if that power-- a power of the purse, essentially, which lies strictly with Congress--has been abdicated, then Trump's following the road map.

That 1976 Emergency Powers Act does try to keep the framework limited to 130 or so specific emergency acts, but that's been bastardized as well (as ALL government actions are, it's the law of unintended consequences). I'm still trying to figure out how an emergency was declared over blood diamonds by Clinton, but oh well.

Incidentally, since passage of the National Emergencies Act in 1976, every U.S. President has declared multiple national emergencies: Carter (2); Reagan: (6); H.W. Bush (4); Clinton (17); W. Bush (12); Obama: (13); Trump (3).

The curious thing to me is that this is one of the few instances where one could legitimately make a constitutional argument since protecting sovereign borders is very much a delineated Constitutional act.

Congress HAS passed and *previously* appropriated money to the wall; this money was unspent, ergo, based on the 1976 law, Trump can reallocate those funds that were allocated by Congress by unused.

slider

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:35 pm

KICT wrote:
slider wrote:

He's "finally doing it", now that his party only controls a single house of Congress?
What a genius he is!

This is a good point...and something I've noodled over for a long time. I don't know why he waited to long. This was, after all, a major plank in his entire campaign. So drawing things out for two years until post midterms makes no sense to me.

tommy1808

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:23 pm

slider wrote:
KICT wrote:
slider wrote:

What a genius he is!

This is a good point...and something I've noodled over for a long time. I don't know why he waited to long. This was, after all, a major plank in his entire campaign. So drawing things out for two years until post midterms makes no sense to me.

Now that is simple. He doesn't care about the wall, he knows it makes no sense, but it's awesome to fire up his base....

Not that awesome of course if he has to blame his own party, so he waited. He knows his voters vote against, not for something.

Best regards
Thomas

winginit

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:59 pm

slider wrote:
KICT wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
(BY DECLARING POTUS)

Carter
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Clinton
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Bush
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Obama
Trump
Trump

Surely you'll agree that this Declaration of Emergency is not like the others, and you'll find that this is the first declaration in the 'military' category since Bush's declaration on 9/11. Not the same thing.

Additionally, if you're patting Trump on the back for taking this action, I'll ask if you're of the opinion that this will actually result in any additional wall being built?

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:01 pm

NIKV69

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:01 pm

winginit wrote:
Edit: Dupe

I have always thought from the beginning that the wall was symbolic and Trump never thought he would get the whole thing the whole distance but as a symbol it meant being tougher of border security and that is needed especially if we get close to or actually get a deal on Dreamers and immigration where more illegals will try to get in here as we see with the caravans.