zakuivcustom
Topic Author

Re: Trump declares national emergency for the wall

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:34 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
winginit wrote:
Edit: Dupe

I have always thought from the beginning that the wall was symbolic and Trump never thought he would get the whole thing the whole distance but as a symbol it meant being tougher of border security and that is needed especially if we get close to or actually get a deal on Dreamers and immigration where more illegals will try to get in here as we see with the caravans.

It is definitely more of a symbolism (something that can be "seen") than it actually does much on actual border security. In another word, nothing more than a vanity project, typical of Drumpf wanting to show how he "accomplish" things (i.e. claim that he's "winning").

BTW, claiming asylum at the border is anything BUT illegal. It's one of the multiple method to legally immigrate into US, doesn't mean it has to be granted.

winginit

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:53 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
winginit wrote:
Edit: Dupe

I have always thought from the beginning that the wall was symbolic and Trump never thought he would get the whole thing the whole distance but as a symbol it meant being tougher of border security and that is needed especially if we get close to or actually get a deal on Dreamers and immigration where more illegals will try to get in here as we see with the caravans.

But you haven't answered the question.

Do you think a single inch of incremental wall be constructed as a result of this Emergency Declaration? It sounds as though you're leaning towards no being the answer there and you being okay with that, but I'd like you to make that clear.

seb146

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:42 am

We have had how many mass shootings over the past month. Thousands die from no health care every month. But, yeah, a stupid vanity wall that will be of zero use at all is fine. Sure. Whatever.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

NIKV69

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:35 am

winginit wrote:

Do you think a single inch of incremental wall be constructed as a result of this Emergency Declaration? It sounds as though you're leaning towards no being the answer there and you being okay with that, but I'd like you to make that clear.

Yes I think some of the wall would be built and more than you think. As for being ok with nothing it's a false scenario. He used the wall as a metaphor and I support the Republicans over the Dems on immigration because I feel their mindset is a more stronger border and stronger approach to illegals already here. In a perfect world the dreamers already here that haven't committed a crime can stay as long as they fulfill some conditions and we secure the border but the Dems don't want any part of that.
"Some people did something" Rep Omar on 9/11

KICT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:42 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Yes I think some of the wall would be built and more than you think. As for being ok with nothing it's a false scenario. He used the wall as a metaphor and I support the Republicans over the Dems on immigration because I feel their mindset is a more stronger border and stronger approach to illegals already here. In a perfect world the dreamers already here that haven't committed a crime can stay as long as they fulfill some conditions and we secure the border but the Dems don't want any part of that.

Complete and utter nonsense as usual. Democrats offered Trump $25 billion for wall funding in exchange for DACA.
Trump's racist, xenophobic base and Fox News pundits wouldn't let him take the deal. And it likely wouldn't have made it through the then GOP-led House.
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/the-immigration-deal-trump-shouldve-taken-didnt
People are saying. Believe me.

NIKV69

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:37 am

KICT wrote:
Complete and utter nonsense as usual. Democrats offered Trump $25 billion for wall funding in exchange for DACA.
Trump's racist, xenophobic base and Fox News pundits wouldn't let him take the deal. And it likely wouldn't have made it through the then GOP-led House.
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/the-immigration-deal-trump-shouldve-taken-didnt

Who cares? Trump isn't deporting any DACA recipients anyway (if they haven't committed crimes) and besides when the Dems controlled everything in 2010 they couldn't pass their own dream act because enough of their own Senators shot it down.

KICT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:55 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Who cares?

You apparently care about the issue because you are sitting on your couch replying to this thread albeit not enough to care about having a factual basis for discussion about the topic...
Furthermore you appear to be blaming the party in control of the Senate in 2010 (Democrats) for not passing the DREAM act (which failed to break the 60-vote threshold), which is interesting considering your continued failure (via ignorance of the facts?) to place *any* blame on Congressional Republicans from the previous congress for failing to pass in full Trump's border wall funding requests. In a previous post you even had the audacity to blame Democrats for "not funding the wall" despite them (1) not being in control of the previous Congress and (2) having offered previously $25B in exchange for DACA, which again the GOP failed to even bring up for a vote *because their xenophobic, racist base would punish them for it*.

We had an election in 2018. As your ilk loves to remind everyone, "elections have consequences". The freaking wall is not getting built.

Your shtick of continued obfuscation is starting to get old.

NIKV69

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 am

KICT wrote:
*because their xenophobic, racist base would punish them for it*.

More so we are in this immigration mess because the Dems refused to pass immigration reform when they controlled government because their open border anarchist base wouldn't let them. Forcing Obama to pass DACA after the fact.

KICT wrote:
We had an election in 2018. As your ilk loves to remind everyone, "elections have consequences". The freaking wall is not getting built.

Some of it will get built but as always with sanctuary cities etc and the Dems refusal to secure the border in 2020 the Dems may have to pay like in 2016. Ya know it's not all Russia's fault Hillary lost ya know.

KICT wrote:
Your shtick of continued obfuscation is starting to get old.

I don't recall seeing a gun to your head forcing you to read and respond to my posts and I do believe there is a ignore feature. Feel free to use it.

KICT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:18 am

NIKV69 wrote:
More so we are in this immigration mess because the Dems refused to pass immigration reform when they controlled government because their open border anarchist base wouldn't let them. Forcing Obama to pass DACA after the fact.

Again false, "refused to pass immigration reform"? Clearly you are not capable of a fact-based discussion about the topic. Were it not so entertaining I would block you.
The DREAM act has been brought up multiple times over the years, each time failing to clear the 60 vote threshold in the Senate. In some cases, Republican co-sponsors of the bill voted against it having negotiated in bad faith. At no point in the course of those years did the Democrats have anything close to 60 seats in the Senate to clear the filibuster. Had we 60 Democrats in the Senate in 2010, it would have passed, and DACA would not have been implemented. But at the rate things are going, in 2020 we might just...
Read a book.

THS214

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:46 am

NIKV69 wrote:
winginit wrote:

Metaphor for what? If its a metaphor then why demand all the money he don't want. Stronger border etc... do you really think that Trump is so stupid that he uses metaphor and not plain English to tell what he really wants?

I don't buy what you sell.

scbriml

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm

THS214 wrote:
do you really think that Trump is so stupid that he uses metaphor and not plain English to tell what he really wants?

I suspect Trump would struggle to know what a metaphor is, let alone use one.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 pm

scbriml wrote:
THS214 wrote:
do you really think that Trump is so stupid that he uses metaphor and not plain English to tell what he really wants?

I suspect Trump would struggle to know what a metaphor is, let alone use one.

Nonsense
"I've got lots of metal forks; more than any other President. My metal forks are the best and the shiniest. "

Here are some of his nice shiny metal forks, but you are probably right about Trump; any one who eats hamburgers and Big Macs isn't going to know how to use a metaphor. If he tried he would probably stick it in someone's eye by mistake.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

slider

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:29 pm

seb146 wrote:
We have had how many mass shootings over the past month. Thousands die from no health care every month. But, yeah, a stupid vanity wall that will be of zero use at all is fine. Sure. Whatever.

Can you substantiate your claims there, chief?

Also, you're falling into a foolish notion that government can't perform it's legitimate constitutionally appointed duties and still manage the rest of its business. You posit this as a binary either-or, or a zero sum, game. It is not. it's foolish and weak-minded to make this assertion.

2122M

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:59 pm

slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Also, you're falling into a foolish notion that government can't perform it's legitimate constitutionally appointed duties and still manage the rest of its business. You posit this as a binary either-or, or a zero sum, game. It is not. it's foolish and weak-minded to make this assertion.

I hate to break it to you but it is a zero-sum game. Unless of course you want a perpetual slide into deeper and deeper debt without ever reversing course. Money is a finite resource, and right now Trump is going to take it away from budgets where it could be useful and apply to his wall, which is useless.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/15/heres-w ... -from.html

tommy1808

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:48 pm

2122M wrote:
slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I hate to break it to you but it is a zero-sum game. Unless of course you want a perpetual slide into deeper and deeper debt without ever reversing course. Money is a finite resource, and right now Trump is going to take it away from budgets where it could be useful and apply to his wall, which is useless.

isn´t that something along the line of 250 USD/Month/US Citizen by now even without the stupid wall?

The way things are going the next economic crisis will see the first time the US defaults on its debt.

Well, Trump said a haircut would be a good idea.....

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

casinterest

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:54 pm

2122M wrote:
slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Make no mistake . Real jobs all over the US would be affected by Trump's draw of funds from the Military Building budget.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pent ... -his-wall/

Among the potential targets: a new vehicle maintenance shop at Camp Arifjan in Kuwait, drydock repairs at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii, F-35 hangar improvements at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona, ongoing hospital construction at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, and new family housing builds in South Korea, Italy and Wisconsin.

Trump will go down as screwing the military and the communities that support them should he pull funds from the construction budget.
Where ever you go, there you are.

KICT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Did Mexico write the check yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cranberrysaus

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:55 pm

casinterest wrote:
2122M wrote:
slider wrote:

Make no mistake . Real jobs all over the US would be affected by Trump's draw of funds from the Military Building budget.

Among the potential targets: a new vehicle maintenance shop at Camp Arifjan in Kuwait, drydock repairs at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii, F-35 hangar improvements at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona, ongoing hospital construction at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, and new family housing builds in South Korea, Italy and Wisconsin.

Trump will go down as screwing the military and the communities that support them should he pull funds from the construction budget.

Can't dare disrupt the Military-Industrial complex.

seb146

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:20 pm

slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Which part? That illegal border crossings are down or that people can not afford health care or that there have been mass shootings? Do you not read news sites?

slider wrote:

The government can do many things competently when there is competent leadership. We have not had competent leadership since January 2017.

casinterest

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:38 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:
casinterest wrote:
2122M wrote:

You can isolate it down as much as you want, but at the end of the day, those construction jobs bring lots of local money and employment. You will see in the coming days that many of the states that stand to lose out on the local funding will start speaking up against this abuse of executive power that Trump has performed. Local businesses losing money makes local politicians mad.

seb146

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:42 pm

casinterest wrote:
cranberrysaus wrote:
casinterest wrote:

You can isolate it down as much as you want, but at the end of the day, those construction jobs bring lots of local money and employment. You will see in the coming days that many of the states that stand to lose out on the local funding will start speaking up against this abuse of executive power that Trump has performed. Local businesses losing money makes local politicians mad.

I just wonder if the building materials will come from Russia or China? Probably. Much of the steel for the New Bay Bridge connecting San Francisco and Oakland came from China. It is poor quality and some of the Chinese bolts are failing.

casinterest

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:57 pm

George Will's take on the spineless members of Congress that will vote against a resolution disapproving of the gutting of America's Checks and Balances .

Today, in the U.S. Capitol, 28.3 miles west of where the Annapolis meeting occurred (in a tavern, long gone), a majority of congressional Republicans seem poised to support Trump’s evisceration of the Constitution’s architecture of checks and balances. By opposing a binding resolution disapproving the president’s declaration of an emergency, they would approve Congress’ acquiescence in the loss of its core power, that of controlling spending. These Republicans raise two questions: Why is there a Congress? And why are such Republicans receiving salaries?

Every Republican who supports the president in this trashing of the Constitution whose creation began here thereby violates his or her sworn oath to defend it and to “bear true faith and allegiance” to it. Voters should expel all of them from public life.

Why will these Republican's stand with a man who has lied so much and used so many racist falsities to get this wall? Will they have any integrity left? Will conservative voters care that their constitution is being ripped to shreds by their inaction?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/20/ ... ublic-life

slider

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:56 pm

seb146 wrote:
slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Which part? That illegal border crossings are down or that people can not afford health care or that there have been mass shootings? Do you not read news sites?

slider wrote:

The government can do many things competently when there is competent leadership. We have not had competent leadership since January 2017.

Hate to tell you dude, but we haven't had "competent leadership" in DC for many, many years on both sides.

seb146

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:05 pm

slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:
slider wrote:

slider wrote:

Hate to tell you dude, but we haven't had "competent leadership" in DC for many, many years on both sides.

So you have no proof. Thanks, sport.

And, skipper, the whole "both sides do it" thing is tired. We discussed this, champ. Didn't you get the memo? Your side has moved on to "I know you are, but what am I?".

tommy1808

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:16 am

casinterest wrote:
George Will's take on the spineless members of Congress that will vote against a resolution disapproving of the gutting of America's Checks and Balances .

Today, in the U.S. Capitol, 28.3 miles west of where the Annapolis meeting occurred (in a tavern, long gone), a majority of congressional Republicans seem poised to support Trump’s evisceration of the Constitution’s architecture of checks and balances. By opposing a binding resolution disapproving the president’s declaration of an emergency, they would approve Congress’ acquiescence in the loss of its core power, that of controlling spending. These Republicans raise two questions: Why is there a Congress? And why are such Republicans receiving salaries?

Every Republican who supports the president in this trashing of the Constitution whose creation began here thereby violates his or her sworn oath to defend it and to “bear true faith and allegiance” to it. Voters should expel all of them from public life.

Why will these Republican's stand with a man who has lied so much and used so many racist falsities to get this wall? Will they have any integrity left? Will conservative voters care that their constitution is being ripped to shreds by their inaction?

Well, why do you think nothing from the hacked republican servers has been released by the Russians? They need it to as blackmail material to keep the republican party in line.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

KICT

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Remember the video Trump posted on Twitter the other day of the "wall being built"? It's a video from September.

https://shareblue.com/trump-pretends-fe ... -new-wall/

KICT

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:28 pm

$2.5 billion that Trump intended to raid, only has $85 million remaining in it, which means no prior research was done before the national emergency was declared.

https://t.co/vOwz21zhG0?amp=1

Please clap.

seb146

Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:32 am

KICT wrote:
$2.5 billion that Trump intended to raid, only has $85 million remaining in it, which means no prior research was done before the national emergency was declared.

Please clap.

So many departments are experiencing negative cash flows. I just wonder if this bait-and-switch is purely to reconcile the books in some departments and make the base happy? In other words: moving money around to make it look like money is there?

Spending bills start in the House. I am also wondering if any of this funding will not go through? So many Constitutional questions.

casinterest

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:53 pm

seb146 wrote:
KICT wrote:

Please clap.

So many departments are experiencing negative cash flows. I just wonder if this bait-and-switch is purely to reconcile the books in some departments and make the base happy? In other words: moving money around to make it look like money is there?

Spending bills start in the House. I am also wondering if any of this funding will not go through? So many Constitutional questions.

I think all federal budget directors from here on out will start laying out their funds at the beginning of a fiscal year to prevent this kind of Highway Robbery by the executive branch.

Dieuwer

Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:02 am

KICT wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Again false, "refused to pass immigration reform"? Clearly you are not capable of a fact-based discussion about the topic. Were it not so entertaining I would block you.
The DREAM act has been brought up multiple times over the years, each time failing to clear the 60 vote threshold in the Senate. In some cases, Republican co-sponsors of the bill voted against it having negotiated in bad faith. At no point in the course of those years did the Democrats have anything close to 60 seats in the Senate to clear the filibuster. Had we 60 Democrats in the Senate in 2010, it would have passed, and DACA would not have been implemented. But at the rate things are going, in 2020 we might just...
Read a book.

Perhaps all those right wingers should practice what they preach. They are full of God this and God that, but they clearly never heard of "love thy neighbor" and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
If Jezus was around, DACA would have been passed, lest He send the entire GOP to hell. ;)

910A

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Speaking of the border wall, this nugget from the LA Times.

Arizona ranchers who supported Trump wall now have doubts about border plans

When Donald Trump was elected president, rancher John Ladd said smuggling traffic on his ranch immediately dipped, and he slept soundly for the first time in years.
Ladd, 63, a fourth-generation cattle rancher, had voted for Trump and his promise to build a border wall and have Mexico pay for it. But the wall hasn’t been constructed, the respite didn’t last, and Ladd, along with other vocal southern Arizona ranchers, has lost faith in the Border Patrol’s barrier plans.

“If they build a wall and do what they did to us, it isn’t going to work,” Ladd said last week as he drove through the 10½-mile stretch of his ranchland that borders Mexico — roughly from the community of Naco west to the San Pedro River.

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ar ... story.html

Dieuwer

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:19 am

910A wrote:

When Donald Trump was elected president, rancher John Ladd said smuggling traffic on his ranch immediately dipped, and he slept soundly for the first time in years.
Ladd, 63, a fourth-generation cattle rancher, had voted for Trump and his promise to build a border wall and have Mexico pay for it. But the wall hasn’t been constructed, the respite didn’t last, and Ladd, along with other vocal southern Arizona ranchers, has lost faith in the Border Patrol’s barrier plans.

“If they build a wall and do what they did to us, it isn’t going to work,” Ladd said last week as he drove through the 10½-mile stretch of his ranchland that borders Mexico — roughly from the community of Naco west to the San Pedro River.

Looks like there already is a barrier:

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.3345331 ... 2!1b1!2i50

trpmb6

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:45 am

Dieuwer wrote:
910A wrote:

I'm a little confused by the man's statement.

KICT

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 am

Test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seb146

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:06 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
910A wrote:

I'm a little confused by the man's statement.

Which part? That a barrier will not work or that we need more agents patrolling? Or, from one of the ranchers

“An entire way of life is just being lost. That’s a real shame. America is losing a part of our culture because we can’t secure our border,”

Which, to me, sounds like a MAGA talking point.

trpmb6

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:32 am

Just confused by him saying he wants a wall built, now he doesn't want a wall built. But apparently he has a barrier on his land. I don't really understand what he is trying to say.

seb146

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:14 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Just confused by him saying he wants a wall built, now he doesn't want a wall built. But apparently he has a barrier on his land. I don't really understand what he is trying to say.

I don't understand, either. A couple of years ago, we drove to the Salton Sea and on to El Centro and took I-8 back to San Diego. Border Patrol had check points set up along the highways and we could clearly see a barrier between the United States and Mexico.

I also clearly remember, when I was a child, a simple chain link fence as the barrier near Nogales, AZ. I stuck my finger through and joked that I had been to Mexico.

No one doubts that people cross illegally. But not at the level it is made out to be.

We have homeless vets dying in the streets every day. Children starving. Seniors rationing life saving medication. Why are those not national crisis?