Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Uber sues NYC over cap

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:33 am

https://nypost.com/2019/02/15/uber-sues ... hare-cars/

I never got this whole thing. I mean if you are going to allow Uber you can't have your cake and eat it. I know the cabbies are livid but the only alternative would have been to say no Uber in the first place and told the T&LC to clean up their act and compete in all aspects including pricing. Which is what this boils down to. I thought when Uber exploded the Taxi world would take action to compete that doesn't seem to have happened.

Not sure how this plays out but it will be interesting.
I am the Googlizer!!!

KICT

Re: Uber sues NYC over cap

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:13 am

Hey Nik, congratulations on your 12,200th post!
People are saying. Believe me.

anrec80

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:40 am

Hopefully this works out and Uber can continue to operate in NYC. Many NYC neighborhoods, as well as adjacent NJ areas have grown dependent upon Uber. I don’t believe that government should tell it’s citizens how to live and how to spend their time.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:29 pm

The issues that the Medallion or Yellow taxi industry in NY City vs. Uber and other car services are a bit complex to give a full explanation here but I'll give it a go. Perhaps a somewhat comparison is the deregulation of the airline industry in the USA leading to many new and short lived airlines.

The medallions for yellow NYC taxis allow them to pick up passengers anywhere within the 5 boros of NYC. The medallion is an actual metal plate that is fixed by a rivet to the hood of the car. The city needed to regulate the taxi industry in the 1930's ironically to make sure taxi operators could make a living. About 10,000 were originally sold by the City at something the = of $100 today. The medallions became the de facto property of their owners rather than kept by the city. As the city grew, demand increased but the number of medallions stayed fixed until the mid-1990's, when 2000-3000 more were sold at auctions at market values. As cash businesses and protected from competition, the value of the medallions exponentially grew to near $1 Million. Those that wanted to operate a cab had to have a medallion but many ended up in the hands of investors who bought out of fleets of 100 or more medallions and resold them at a huge profit or leased out on a daily shift basis. Investors including those with 1 to a number of medallions like Donald Trump's infamous ex-lawyer Cohen. The investors/owners of medallions borrowed against the growing equity of the medallions. NYC taxis cannot operate with return fares from outside the city like from EWR which the cities of Newark and Elizabeth protects its own licensed taxi services. There has also been fees added to try to raise revenues for the city transit agencies for capital improvements.

The huge increase of cheaper and often better Uber and other legal car services significantly reduced the income of the owners of individual and larger investor taxi medallion owners. Daily shift lease rates became so low and in turn the crashed the value of the medallions to today of maybe $200,000. Owners defaulted on their equity loans on the medallions, 2 credit unions collapsed and in too many cases, owner-operators in massive debts took their own lives. The flood of Uber also depressed the revenues of them and for a few, they also took their own lives as they also faced unpayable debts for cars and made less than minimum wage.

Numerous lawsuits that have been filed by medallion owners against the banks that made equity loans on the Medallions who have started foreclosure action on them to recover their losses. Directly and indirectly also sued include the City of New York, the NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC), the transportation agencies including the MTA, LIRR, TBTA and the Port Authority of NY & NJ. They want to kill off any foreclosure actions, force limits on Uber and other car services, not have to pay special fees or with the PANYNJ, to be able to get paid return fares from EWR, just like Uber cars can. As these lawsuits go through the civil courts, it is unknown how it will eventually work out. As the opening post noted, there has been a cap on the number of car service licenses, special fees, minimum driver income and tighter regulations on Uber but it was too little too late.

Who knows how all this will work out but it is unlikely Uber and other car services will be banned and investors, well they just made a bad investment.

Magog

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Uber is a direct threat to this planet. Those of us involved in the ecological justice community know that it discourages the development of much more efficient public transportation. Taxis and Uber should be banned. We can’t let our planet die.

P1aneMad

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Magog wrote:
Uber is a direct threat to this planet. Those of us involved in the ecological justice community know that it discourages the development of much more efficient public transportation. Taxis and Uber should be banned. We can’t let our planet die.

anrec80

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:33 pm

Magog wrote:

Right - let’s get back on horse-driven carriages. Or - if you are trying to make a joke, please put a smile next to it.

N867DA

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Uber is just a way to pass more risks (and costs) of doing business on to the employee. No more hotel companies or taxi companies anymore; there's just "technology" companies.

Edit to add: Their service is certainly better and far superior to the traditional taxi model, which has its own well-documented flaws.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:10 pm

KICT wrote:
Hey Nik, congratulations on your 12,200th post!
:weightlifter:

ltbewr wrote:
The issues that the Medallion or Yellow taxi industry in NY City vs. Uber and other car services are a bit complex to give a full explanation here but I'll give it a go. Perhaps a somewhat comparison is the deregulation of the airline industry in the USA leading to many new and short lived airlines.

The medallions for yellow NYC taxis allow them to pick up passengers anywhere within the 5 boros of NYC. The medallion is an actual metal plate that is fixed by a rivet to the hood of the car. The city needed to regulate the taxi industry in the 1930's ironically to make sure taxi operators could make a living. About 10,000 were originally sold by the City at something the = of $100 today. The medallions became the de facto property of their owners rather than kept by the city. As the city grew, demand increased but the number of medallions stayed fixed until the mid-1990's, when 2000-3000 more were sold at auctions at market values. As cash businesses and protected from competition, the value of the medallions exponentially grew to near $1 Million. Those that wanted to operate a cab had to have a medallion but many ended up in the hands of investors who bought out of fleets of 100 or more medallions and resold them at a huge profit or leased out on a daily shift basis. Investors including those with 1 to a number of medallions like Donald Trump's infamous ex-lawyer Cohen. The investors/owners of medallions borrowed against the growing equity of the medallions. NYC taxis cannot operate with return fares from outside the city like from EWR which the cities of Newark and Elizabeth protects its own licensed taxi services. There has also been fees added to try to raise revenues for the city transit agencies for capital improvements.

The huge increase of cheaper and often better Uber and other legal car services significantly reduced the income of the owners of individual and larger investor taxi medallion owners. Daily shift lease rates became so low and in turn the crashed the value of the medallions to today of maybe $200,000. Owners defaulted on their equity loans on the medallions, 2 credit unions collapsed and in too many cases, owner-operators in massive debts took their own lives. The flood of Uber also depressed the revenues of them and for a few, they also took their own lives as they also faced unpayable debts for cars and made less than minimum wage.

Numerous lawsuits that have been filed by medallion owners against the banks that made equity loans on the Medallions who have started foreclosure action on them to recover their losses. Directly and indirectly also sued include the City of New York, the NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC), the transportation agencies including the MTA, LIRR, TBTA and the Port Authority of NY & NJ. They want to kill off any foreclosure actions, force limits on Uber and other car services, not have to pay special fees or with the PANYNJ, to be able to get paid return fares from EWR, just like Uber cars can. As these lawsuits go through the civil courts, it is unknown how it will eventually work out. As the opening post noted, there has been a cap on the number of car service licenses, special fees, minimum driver income and tighter regulations on Uber but it was too little too late.

Who knows how all this will work out but it is unlikely Uber and other car services will be banned and investors, well they just made a bad investment.

Great synopsis, Like I asked if they didn't want this why let Uber operate at all? If you let them in you have to let them operate without restriction. It's on the Taxi world to adapt and compete. Imagine walking up from the Penn station and not having to wait for an Uber and jump in a car right away for same price?
I am the Googlizer!!!

Pi7472000

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Magog wrote:

I agree!! Our transporation system should be built around communal, public transportation. From small to large cities we need better public transportation options. We should discourage use of cars whether that is uber or taxis. Our Earth depends on humans using less fossi fuels.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
Magog wrote:

I agree!! Our transpiration system should be built around communal, public transportation. From small to large cities we need better public transportation options. We should discourage use of cars whether that is uber or taxis. Our Earth depends on humans using less fossi fuels.

Problem is that too many don't want to pay more in fares or use more tax monies to pay for cheap and better mass or public transit. Uber and taxis also mean more direct and quicker ways to get around point to point in a city than public systems can offer, or don't offer at off-peak times or late at night. There are also mass transit systems that are not access friendly to families, those with physical handicaps or drunk. One fear is that variations of Uber with subsidies could be used for 'last mile' service to areas where public transit is weak or at off-peak times instead of expanding traditional mass transit.

Aesma

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Personally I can't afford taxis. I can probably remember all the taxi rides I took in my life, there are so few of them. Well since a few years I have increased the number a bit, because I'm not paying but my company is. In January I took one from home to the train station for a work trip to Switzerland, then took one back home two days later. The bill amounted to 10% of my monthly salary.

I had installed the Uber app on my phone and made a mock order and it seems Uber could have been a bit cheaper on that occasion, but usually it isn't in France. Also living in the suburbs I'm really not sure it's that easy to get an Uber ride, but I have never tried so I don't know. Several taxi companies are based in the area so getting one is no problem, and they have the right to get me to the airport (ORY or CDG) or whatever and pick someone else for the return trip.

In Paris the metro and RER is the way to go most of the time, however it stops at night (I think a bit later than when I lived there), I think having reduced but continuous service at night would be good. Uber/taxis in the meantime should be incentivized to go electric.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

anrec80

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:48 am

Magog wrote:

Dude, may we ask you a favor? If you are joking - please at least put a smile at the end of your post. If this is meant seriously - I have no vocabulary left to compose a civilized response, sorry. Only expressions.

anrec80

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:53 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
I agree!! Our transporation system should be built around communal, public transportation. From small to large cities we need better public transportation options. We should discourage use of cars whether that is uber or taxis. Our Earth depends on humans using less fossi fuels.

Have you, the greenest ones, considered just leaving people alone, stop teaching them how to live their lives, and let them live anyhow they want? I believe that car-sharing and pooling can be cost efficient, and even efficient from greenhouse gas standpoint. Let's say you fly in somewhere at 1 am. No public transit obviously, and Uber is the only option. On my last trip to San Jose, CA, I took Uber Pool from SFO airport. Public transit - wait until the morning? No thanks! And even if it was there - a car with 5 passengers will consume less fuel than a big bus with the same 5 passengers - agree? See? Everything has its limits of applicability.

WIederling

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:56 am

anrec80 wrote:
Have you, the greenest ones, considered just leaving people alone, stop teaching them how to live their lives, and let them live anyhow they want?

That is a nice idea but how do you cope with those that litter your porch and poison your drinking water
or cut down the trees that you intentionally left untouched for some wasteful processing?
Murphy is an optimist

TTailedTiger

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:10 am

ltbewr wrote:

What a mess. But that's what happens when the government gets involved. No need for anyone to take their life over a taxi business. File bankruptcy and go find a new job...or drive for Uber.

anrec80

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:56 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
What a mess. But that's what happens when the government gets involved. No need for anyone to take their life over a taxi business. File bankruptcy and go find a new job...or drive for Uber.

Very true. This is what the City should have been encouraging.

anrec80

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:05 pm

WIederling wrote:
That is a nice idea but how do you cope with those that litter your porch and poison your drinking water
or cut down the trees that you intentionally left untouched for some wasteful processing?

OK, now you are throwing global warming, Uber and littering on my porch into the same pile. Well - littering on someone’s porch is obviously a wrong thing to do, everyone on this planet agrees with this. Together with that, there are 7.5 billion people living here on Earth, and far from everyone agrees that this “global warming” thing is caused by mankind, to begin with. And only a small minority agrees that this matter requires some extreme measures altering lifestyle such as prohibit Uber or Taxi. Especially when alternatives won’t necessarily offer any emission savings.

And in addition - I personally believe there are some more important things to work on. What’s happening with millions of tons of plastics all over ocean? Anyone doing anything towards collecting all plastics, and making all of them recyclable? I have heard of some limited efforts, but not much else.

anrec80

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:08 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Problem is that too many don't want to pay more in fares or use more tax monies to pay for cheap and better mass or public transit. Uber and taxis also mean more direct and quicker ways to get around point to point in a city than public systems can offer, or don't offer at off-peak times or late at night. There are also mass transit systems that are not access friendly to families, those with physical handicaps or drunk. One fear is that variations of Uber with subsidies could be used for 'last mile' service to areas where public transit is weak or at off-peak times instead of expanding traditional mass transit.

Well - more and more people want their transposrtation to be Point A to Point B directly. And Uber helps get closer there in more affordable ways. And - in the USA you could use your commuter benefits (pre-tax public transit allowance) on Uber Pool.

slider

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Uber and rideshare services are market disruptors and, in NY's case, a welcome and needed one.

Adapt or die, it's the way of things. Sorry cabbies, you can't cry foul because you're a dinosaur that can't or won't evolve.

Oh, and people--for heaven's sake, don't feed the trolls.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:22 pm

slider wrote:
Uber and rideshare services are market disruptors and, in NY's case, a welcome and needed one.

Adapt or die, it's the way of things. Sorry cabbies, you can't cry foul because you're a dinosaur that can't or won't evolve.

Yep we didn't help mom and pop shops when the big box stores put them out of business or the electronic and other stores that Amazon out under why help cabbies? Write your own app and lower your prices. It' sure nice to get into a cleaner car and have the driver actually adhere to the rules of the road while saving money.
I am the Googlizer!!!

anrec80

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:56 pm

slider wrote:

Agree overall, though would not call cab industry “dinosaur” just yet. It will always have its niche though, just as Uber. The advantage of cabs is that you can see a free one and hail it off the curb, while I have to wait for Uber like 5-10 min, and they at times cancel rides.

When trying to come into the City from suburbs, I usually take Uber. When going to airport, I check Uber price as well. If their surge pricing is in effect - I hail a cab. But - if plenty of pools are available, I can get from Manhattan to JFK for $40. Sorry cabbies.

slider

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:38 pm

anrec80 wrote:
slider wrote:

Agree overall, though would not call cab industry “dinosaur” just yet. It will always have its niche though, just as Uber. The advantage of cabs is that you can see a free one and hail it off the curb, while I have to wait for Uber like 5-10 min, and they at times cancel rides.

When trying to come into the City from suburbs, I usually take Uber. When going to airport, I check Uber price as well. If their surge pricing is in effect - I hail a cab. But - if plenty of pools are available, I can get from Manhattan to JFK for $40. Sorry cabbies.

Yeah, and each of the last few times I've been in NY, I can't get a damn cab. And forget about it after Broadway shows let out. Uber all the way. Chicago I don't have as much a problem finding an open cab, even during peak times. But even then, if I'm in a pinch, I'm Ubering to ORD in lieu of a cab or the blue line.

ryanov

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:11 am

NIKV69 wrote:
t' sure nice to get into a cleaner car and have the driver actually adhere to the rules of the road while saving money.

You've go to be kidding me. Nearly every time I see someone violating a traffic law, or nearly running me down in a crosswalk, it's a ridesharing driver. The most common maneuver is "oh, the next ride is behind me? I can make a U-turn wherever I damn well please as it might save me $0.30."

Taxis had their problems. Some ridesharing scam company that isn't responsible for anything running unregulated transportation was not the answer to anything other than "how can some tech bros make a lot of money."

PPVRA

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:19 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
slider wrote:
It' sure nice to get into a cleaner car and have the driver actually adhere to the rules of the road while saving money.

Cab companies can be real shady operators. I’ve had rides where you feel like you just walked through a disgusting whore house run by shady pimps.

No thank you. Uber all the way.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

stl07

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:12 pm

I took an uberpool to Flushing, on the way back an NYC cab driver was right outside the mall and I was getting tired so I hopped in, not wanting to wait for an Uber. The cab was extremely clean, modern, and in the end, my bill was less than the Uberpool. I guess they are finally adapting to the market
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

c933103

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:35 am

ltbewr wrote:

Situation at Hong Kong actually seems rather similar to the NYC situation you described. Price of taxi license in second hand market once rise to over 1M USD, then Uber come and taxi drivers compare its unfair advantage of no such license needed for them. The difference is probably that the government still maintain the position on illegality of Uber here despite the enforcement isn't strict enough to take them out of the market
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

AirKevin

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:23 am

Magog wrote:

Are you talking about in the city or what. I've used Uber before, but only in situations where I had no alternative. Right now, I'm sitting at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere just outside a major city, no public transportation where I am right now, and if I want to go into the city, my options are either Uber or just be stuck in this truck all day and not go anywhere. Driving the truck isn't really an option, parking this thing would be a problem.
Captain Kevin

Pyrex

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:52 pm

AirKevin wrote:
Magog wrote:

Are you talking about in the city or what. I've used Uber before, but only in situations where I had no alternative. Right now, I'm sitting at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere just outside a major city, no public transportation where I am right now, and if I want to go into the city, my options are either Uber or just be stuck in this truck all day and not go anywhere. Driving the truck isn't really an option, parking this thing would be a problem.

Pro-tip: anybody who claims to be all about "justice" doesn't give a shit about justice, all they care about is power.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Magog wrote:

Right - let’s get back on horse-driven carriages. Or - if you are trying to make a joke, please put a smile next to it.

No. Horse-drawn carriages still pose a threat to the planet in two ways:
1. Methane emissions
2. Horse $#!t everywhere.

No. We'll have to do this the old fashioned way: walk...or a Fred Flintstone mobile. :duck:
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bhill

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:49 pm

Medallions??? Surprised there is not a TV series like The Sopranos, because this has all kinds of chances for the mob to make a killing...
Carpe Pices

Pyrex

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:20 pm

bhill wrote:
Medallions??? Surprised there is not a TV series like The Sopranos, because this has all kinds of chances for the mob to make a killing...

Organized crime has been all over the NYC taxi industry for a long time...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Dieuwer

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:14 pm

PPVRA wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
slider wrote:
It' sure nice to get into a cleaner car and have the driver actually adhere to the rules of the road while saving money.

Cab companies can be real shady operators. I’ve had rides where you feel like you just walked through a disgusting whore house run by shady pimps.

No thank you. Uber all the way.

Lyft, Uber drivers can be shady as well. Like not "ending" the ride and charging 2-3x the upfront pricing.

anrec80

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:08 am

Dieuwer wrote:

Lyft, Uber drivers can be shady as well. Like not "ending" the ride and charging 2-3x the upfront pricing.

Pricing is determined by Lyft itself in this case, based on traffic, actual route taken, etc. I haven’t had experience with them not “ending” the ride. Has been better overall than taxis. Hence - both taxis and Uber have right for existence, and the City should not tell who and how should do business.

Dieuwer

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:45 am

anrec80 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Pricing is determined by Lyft itself in this case, based on traffic, actual route taken, etc. I haven’t had experience with them not “ending” the ride. Has been better overall than taxis. Hence - both taxis and Uber have right for existence, and the City should not tell who and how should do business.

Wrong. In Massachusetts there is a law forbidding charging more than the price quoted. It called “Illegal deceptive business practice”.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/th ... ection-law