NIKV69
Topic Author

Nick Sandmann sues Wapo for 250 Mil

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:17 am

https://nypost.com/2019/02/19/covington ... SocialFlow

Not a surprise as this was hinted at but I find this quote interesting.

Washington Post recklessly ignored basic journalist standards

I know the speed of the news cycle plays into this but maybe this will be a watershed moment where the media will have to begin to check itself before it goes to print and check the facts.

Let's please keep this civil.

Discuss.
See that Broccoli over there? It's racist!

seat64k

Re: Nick Sandmann sues Wapo for 250 Mil

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:57 am

I fear the media is stuck in a "has to be first" game that they can't back out of.

casinterest

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:58 am

NIKV69 wrote:
https://nypost.com/2019/02/19/covington-teen-nick-sandmann-sues-the-washington-post-for-250m/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

I know the speed of the news cycle plays into this but maybe this will be a watershed moment where the media will have to begin to check itself before it goes to print and check the facts.

Discuss.

A smirking Snowflake wearing the racist logo hat of a lying racist . I think many people can easily read into this as a bullying type of person. The WaPo is not at fault for preconceived notions. The 1st amendment still matters, and the Wapo was just reporting what others were seeing.
Where ever you go, there you are.

stl07

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:06 am

I'm sure the tomahawk chops and the yelling of ayyyeee while come into play from the boys who "just smiled" until the new video came out
I'd rather be in FLYover country than layover county

stl07

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:08 am

but the news did make some mistakes about the build the wall stuff so it should be interesting to watch
I'd rather be in FLYover country than layover county

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:29 am

casinterest wrote:

A smirking Snowflake wearing the racist logo hat of a lying racist . I think many people can easily read into this as a bullying type of person. The WaPo is not at fault for preconceived notions. The 1st amendment still matters, and the Wapo was just reporting what others were seeing.

Calling a kid that goes to a catholic school a "snowflake" without knowing him isn't a good stragedy going forward. I am interested to see what the defense lawyers do but as I stated above this will never go to trial and Wapo will throw money at the family and wiggle away.

stl07 wrote:
I'm sure the tomahawk chops and the yelling of ayyyeee while come into play from the boys who "just smiled" until the new video came out

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 7a5fd36867

casinterest

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:38 am

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Calling a kid that goes to a catholic school a "snowflake" without knowing him isn't a good stragedy going forward. I am interested to see what the defense lawyers do but as I stated above this will never go to trial and Wapo will throw money at the family and wiggle away.

stl07 wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 7a5fd36867

He is a snowflake. He thinks he is special and the world around doesn't exist. Especially wearing that hat. If there was ever a definition of snowflake , it is this kid. I also find it interesting that the WAPO is singled out. I expect Bezo's and others to use this as further evidence of political attacks by the GOP and Trump. The lawsuit specifically targets WAPO, and WAPO was not the only outlet to report on the viral video. This will be a politcal issue, and I expect a Trump twitter tirade within the next 6-12 hours on it.

DL717

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:09 am

casinterest wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
https://nypost.com/2019/02/19/covington-teen-nick-sandmann-sues-the-washington-post-for-250m/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Discuss.

Welcome to ignore bro. Well earned. Maybe one of these days you’ll quit calling everyone who doesn’t agree with you a racist or what ever the choice de jour is for the day.

NIKV69 wrote:

Discuss.

Long overdue.
Last edited by DL717 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Putting one on ignore does not squelch speech or debate, it’s quiets the noise.

casinterest

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 am

DL717 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Discuss.

Welcome to ignore bro. Well earned.

Badge of honor to earn it from the likes of you .

DIRECTFLT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:16 am

The kid was standing on a step at the National Mall. He's a small HS kid, and no threat to the bigger Native American Activist, who targeted the HS student, with the MAGA hat on. Anyway, the ex-wife has already got her money, so she's good.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:17 am

casinterest wrote:

He is a snowflake. He thinks he is special and the world around doesn't exist. Especially wearing that hat. If there was ever a definition of snowflake , it is this kid. I also find it interesting that the WAPO is singled out. I expect Bezo's and others to use this as further evidence of political attacks by the GOP and Trump. The lawsuit specifically targets WAPO, and WAPO was not the only outlet to report on the viral video. This will be a politcal issue, and I expect a Trump twitter tirade within the next 6-12 hours on it.

Just as assumption, not sure what wearing a hat matters but anyway I don't think the Wapo is being singled out. I am sure there are more lawsuits coming. I think when this whole thing broke they said they were going to file multiple lawasuits. This is just the first. Should be interesting to see the cast of characters is.

casinterest

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:22 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The kid was standing on a step at the National Mall. He's a small HS kid, and no threat to the bigger Native American Activist, who targeted the HS student, with the MAGA hat on. Anyway, the ex-wife has already got her money, so she's good.

That is how the story ended, but in between there were a lot of misconceptions and reports by people that were not part of the media. The media reported on that social viral video, and I don't think the 250 million is anything more than a big PR push looking for a meager settlement, which depending on how the brass and the lawyers at WAPO see it, will either result in a settlement or not.

DIRECTFLT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:33 am

casinterest wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

That is how the story ended, but in between there were a lot of misconceptions and reports by people that were not part of the media. The media reported on that social viral video, and I don't think the 250 million is anything more than a big PR push looking for a meager settlement, which depending on how the brass and the lawyers at WAPO see it, will either result in a settlement or not.

I think the WaPo will want to settle out of court, rather than go through the "Discovery" phase of the lawsuit. But I'm not a lawyer, and am only supposing.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Tugger

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:35 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Calling a kid that goes to a catholic school a "snowflake" without knowing him isn't a good stragedy going forward.

Wait... have you called anyone a "snowflake" without really knowing them?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

casinterest

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:37 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
casinterest wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

I think the WaPo will want to settle out of court, rather than go through the "Discovery" phase of the lawsuit. But I'm not a lawyer, and am only supposing.

If the WaPo reporters kept good notes, they may survive discovery just fine. However it is all supposition at this point, but the 250 million is an attention getting and outlandish sum.

seb146

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:37 am

He should not have been wearing a MAGA hat, then, should he? Every "liberal" can sue Fox, now. There is precedent.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

casinterest

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:38 am

seb146 wrote:
He should not have been wearing a MAGA hat, then, should he? Every "liberal" can sue Fox, now. There is precedent.

The kid should sue Trump for making him a target.

DIRECTFLT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:41 am

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

That is very unlikely. But maybe you weren't being serious.

bagoldex

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:44 am

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

He should sue his parents for letting him grow up to be such a smug and hate-filled person, especially considering he irreparably ruined his life in the span of thirty seconds.

casinterest

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:45 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

That is very unlikely. But maybe you weren't being serious.

Well if you want to go with misleading everyone, which is a key cornerstone of the kids lawsuit against the WAPO, then by natural extension Trump should be included.

But for the direct actions the kid claims to have suffered, I think a lawsuit against the post without a lawsuit against the people that spread the viral video is laughable as well.

KICT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:10 am

Suddenly, "conservatives" are now fans of frivolous lawsuits.
People are saying. Believe me.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:14 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

100%

Tugger wrote:
Wait... have you called anyone a "snowflake" without really knowing them?

Tugg

I never use the term. It's more propaganda and now has been twisted to be used to blame victims like this kid when the attempt to smear him failed.

seb146 wrote:

Why can't he? Just because there are some who can't control their behavior doesn't mean he can't express himself. Suing Fox? Precedent? No.

bagoldex wrote:

He should sue his parents for letting him grow up to be such a smug and hate-filled person, especially considering he irreparably ruined his life in the span of thirty seconds.

Not sure where you are seeing hate in the video, from any of the kids. I posted a link above where an investigation found none. The media tried that smoke screen and this is why they are getting sued.

casinterest wrote:

Well if you want to go with misleading everyone, which is a key cornerstone of the kids lawsuit against the WAPO, then by natural extension Trump should be included.

But for the direct actions the kid claims to have suffered, I think a lawsuit against the post without a lawsuit against the people that spread the viral video is laughable as well.

The case will go forward and the process will adjudicate the lawsuit. As it will any more to come (which there will be) I doubt they will get anywhere close to 250 Million but will be able to prove that the media's rush to convict them of hate did bring some hardship to him and the Wapo will be cutting a check. As I mentioned before it could be a moment that puts the the big media companies on notice that they may actually have to go back to actually being real journalists and get all the facts instead of rushing to smear a young minor to prove a political point.

KICT wrote:

Actually this kid got a pretty bum deal. So this lawsuit is far from frivolous.

afcjets

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:15 am

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Just as assumption, not sure what wearing a hat matters but anyway I don't think the Wapo is being singled out. I am sure there are more lawsuits coming. I think when this whole thing broke they said they were going to file multiple lawasuits. This is just the first. Should be interesting to see the cast of characters is.

I hope he sues Kathy Griffin. She went on Twitter trashing him and demanded his address be posted online. What exactly was she calling for? Murdering his family, kicking his ass, setting the house on fire, or just vandalizing his car?

KICT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:17 am

afcjets wrote:
What exactly was she calling for? Murdering his family, kicking his ass, setting the house on fire, or just vandalizing his car?

Would have settled for his car getting keyed.

afcjets

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:24 am

KICT wrote:
afcjets wrote:
What exactly was she calling for? Murdering his family, kicking his ass, setting the house on fire, or just vandalizing his car?

Would have settled for his car getting keyed.

At least someone on your side is the voice of reason, the kid only deserves his personal property damaged.

Jouhou

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 am

Who else thinks this is the kid's parents whoring him out to political operatives? Observe attorney statement wording. This is 100% political and they aren't making a case meant to be won. This is about re-igniting debate over this bullshit because they found circling their wagons to energize their hordes particularly effective on this particular story.

Don't engage them on this. It will die in court. It was MEANT to die in court. Their case is being made on the basis of the Washington post being biased against trump. This is some Roger Stone style BS and only Trump supporters will swallow that turd of an argument.

Also, reminder to Trump supporters, Bezos is not a "liberal". He is a libertarian that at best believes in press freedom and doesn't interfere in the Washington Posts business. And if he were to leverage it for political gains, expect op-eds on how trickle down economics really does work and totally isn't a lie forced down our throats.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:17 am

afcjets wrote:

I hope he sues Kathy Griffin. She went on Twitter trashing him and demanded his address be posted online. What exactly was she calling for? Murdering his family, kicking his ass, setting the house on fire, or just vandalizing his car?

I doubt any of the next lawsuits will include her. Nobody listens to her. Between her and Stormy Daniels they couldn't sell out a school auditorium.

Jouhou wrote:
Who else thinks this is the kid's parents whoring him out to political operatives? Observe attorney statement wording. This is 100% political and they aren't making a case meant to be won. This is about re-igniting debate over this bullshit because they found circling their wagons to energize their hordes particularly effective on this particular story.

Of course it's political the media made it political by trying to exploit a notion that wearing a Trump hat means you hate Native Americans and got caught when the unedited video was released. Are the parents whoring? Not really they are just looking for a pay day like Colin Kaepernick was. It's the American way nowadays.

Jouhou wrote:

Don't engage them on this. It will die in court. It was MEANT to die in court. Their case is being made on the basis of the Washington post being biased against trump. This is some Roger Stone style BS and only Trump supporters will swallow that turd of an argument.

Wrong, It's being made on the basis the Wapo went to print with a story that wasn't factual in an attempt to smear Donald Trump and these poor kids and failed. It has nothing to do with Roger Style anything. The facts are out and the reporting was flawed.

Jouhou wrote:

Also, reminder to Trump supporters, Bezos is not a "liberal". He is a libertarian that at best believes in press freedom and doesn't interfere in the Washington Posts business. And if he were to leverage it for political gains, expect op-eds on how trickle down economics really does work and totally isn't a lie forced down our throats.

Who said he was a liberal? If he was a true Liberal he would be paying a heck of a lot more in taxes. :duck:

Jouhou

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:53 am

NIKV69 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

I doubt any of the next lawsuits will include her. Nobody listens to her. Between her and Stormy Daniels they couldn't sell out a school auditorium.

Jouhou wrote:

Of course it's political the media made it political by trying to exploit a notion that wearing a Trump hat means you hate Native Americans and got caught when the unedited video was released. Are the parents whoring? Not really they are just looking for a pay day like Colin Kaepernick was. It's the American way nowadays.

Jouhou wrote:

Wrong, It's being made on the basis the Wapo went to print with a story that wasn't factual in an attempt to smear Donald Trump and these poor kids and failed. It has nothing to do with Roger Style anything. The facts are out and the reporting was flawed.

Jouhou wrote:

Who said he was a liberal? If he was a true Liberal he would be paying a heck of a lot more in taxes. :duck:

It's the Trump era gop tactic, get everyone arguing about stupid shit while headlines that I'm pretty sure both sides of the political spectrum care about get burred.

Conservatives, how do you feel about the administration trying to give our nuclear secrets away (illegally) to the Saudis? Did you miss that news or did you see it twisted into some kind of nonsense that blames Hillary Clinton OMG URANIUM ONE!.

Let's talk about the scary serious shit happening right now. Seriously, its your country too and I'm pretty frustrated that you guys won't even pretend to care about national security issues as serious as this.

Dutchy

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:12 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Discuss.

This is political, the way you wrote it is political, you are political, so what do you expect from this thread you started?

Really an in-depth discussion about the news cycle and what it does for journalistic standards or was your message something else?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

jcancel

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:12 am

The one thing I'm curious about : Why did Sandmann et al wear MAGA hats. The march was supposed to be about abortion, not necessarily party politics. Apparently Sandmann did oppose what the Black Hebrew Israelites said (the BHI anti gay stuff)

KICT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:14 am

Teenagers are not "kids".

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:30 am

Dutchy wrote:

This is political, the way you wrote it is political, you are political, so what do you expect from this thread you started?

So is 90% of the posts here. What is your point? We can still have a civil discussion.

Dutchy wrote:
Really an in-depth discussion about the news cycle and what it does for journalistic standards or was your message something else?

Please don't derail the thread with innuendo. If you took the time to read what I wrote you would know I want to discuss how a major news outlet got a story pretty wrong in an attempt to paint a bunch of kids as the thing you are accusing me of. Please if you have something to ask use PM or just use the ignore feature so you don't have to read my posts.

jcancel wrote:
The one thing I'm curious about : Why did Sandmann et al wear MAGA hats. The march was supposed to be about abortion, not necessarily party politics. Apparently Sandmann did oppose what the Black Hebrew Israelites said (the BHI anti gay stuff)

Maybe they wanted to show their support for the president. I mean why can't they? Why is it such a foreign a concept to wear a Hat in support of Trump and not be part of Identity politics?

Olddog

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:38 am

The fact you decide that they got the story wrong just underscore your bias....

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:02 am

Olddog wrote:

????

Have you paid any attention to the story? Videos? Look I guess I'll bite here but it's plain as day that the edited video made media, Hollywood etc make us all believe these kids walked up to Phillips and engaged him in some hateful way mostly because of the hates they were wearing. Yet when the unedited video came out we clearly see the kids did not approach anyone in fact they were accosted by the Black Hebrews that started attacking them verbally with insults followed by Phillips approaching Sandmann and getting in his face chanting. Did the kid smirk? Sure but it shows the encounter to be 180 degrees from what it was first reported and these kids were vilified.for it.

This is not me deciding. The info is right there for you.

KICT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:08 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Why is it such a foreign a concept to wear a Hat in support of Trump and not be part of Identity politics?

Good question. Even the President needs help in basic Constitutional principles...
Freedom of the press? - https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1097117499336855553
"...should be looked into." - https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1097116612279316480

Dutchy

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:14 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Olddog wrote:

????

Have you paid any attention to the story? Videos? Look I guess I'll bite here but it's plain as day that the edited video made media, Hollywood etc make us all believe these kids walked up to Phillips and engaged him in some hateful way mostly because of the hates they were wearing. Yet when the unedited video came out we clearly see the kids did not approach anyone in fact they were accosted by the Black Hebrews that started attacking them verbally with insults followed by Phillips approaching Sandmann and getting in his face chanting. Did the kid smirk? Sure but it shows the encounter to be 180 degrees from what it was first reported and these kids were vilified.for it.

This is not me deciding. The info is right there for you.

Do you have an opinion to the amount this 16y/o is demanding? From my perspective, it is financial bullying. It would be interesting to know whom is paying for this lawyer?

I think the media should be very restrained because there is a kid involved, yes he has portrayed himself as an extreme religious Trump supporter, but he might become to his senses again.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:29 am

Dutchy wrote:

Do you have an opinion to the amount this 16y/o is demanding? From my perspective, it is financial bullying

This is an obvious deflection, but the amount in the initial filing is not bullying. It's how our legal system works

Dutchy wrote:
It would be interesting to know whom is paying for this lawyer?

What does this matter? Sounds like you are making another nefarious charge and victimizing a minor. I mean nobody seem to care who is paying Gloria Allred when she popped up with every accuser when an election rolls around. Right Jerry Brown?

Dutchy wrote:
I think the media should be very restrained because there is a kid involved, yes he has portrayed himself as an extreme religious Trump supporter, but he might become to his senses again.

He is a Catholic pro life kid, that doesn't automatically make him extreme. I am not sure what "become to his senses" mean? I assume he has to approve of abortion? Again we are victimizing a kid here for going on a field trip to DC and wearing a hat. It's getting very scary.

Aesma

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:36 am

Why not 250 billion ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

KICT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:43 am

A "field trip to DC"? I went on a field trip to DC once, we went to the Smithsonian, the Library of Congress, the Holocaust museum.
Their "field trip" (sounds so innocent) was a trip specifically designed to protest the Constitutionally-protected rights of fellow citizens.

KICT

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:44 am

NIKV69 wrote:
It's how our legal system works

So nice to see you are now once again an advocate for the proper function of the US legal system.
Welcome back on board.

Dutchy

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:52 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Do you have an opinion to the amount this 16y/o is demanding? From my perspective, it is financial bullying

This is an obvious deflection, but the amount in the initial filing is not bullying. It's how our legal system works

Dutchy wrote:
It would be interesting to know whom is paying for this lawyer?

What does this matter? Sounds like you are making another nefarious charge and victimizing a minor. I mean nobody seem to care who is paying Gloria Allred when she popped up with every accuser when an election rolls around. Right Jerry Brown?

Dutchy wrote:

He is a Catholic pro life kid, that doesn't automatically make him extreme. I am not sure what "become to his senses" mean? I assume he has to approve of abortion? Again we are victimizing a kid here for going on a field trip to DC and wearing a hat. It's getting very scary.

This whole lawsuit is about victimizing this kid.

BTW it wasn't a field trip, it was a pro-life demonstration, quite a different thing.

TTailedTiger

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:20 am

The old man harassed the kids. The media lied and said the kids harassed the old man. Sue them all.

luckyone

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:01 pm

I’ll happily acknowledge that the media mischaracterized this situation.

I have a lot of ambivalence about feeling sorry for the teenager, or more appropriately, the adults guiding his actions. Actions have consequences. What you have here was a MINOR being sent off by his religious school to participate in a political protest—that in and off itself is strikes one and two in my opinion in the bad optics category. While wearing a MAGA hat—strike three, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG. The whole thing was incendiary in its execution with students (minors) in the middle of it, which to me is irresponsible at best. This school is a politico-religious organization taking advantage of a minor, much like Republicans complaining about the Parkland students, only they were shot at, so it’s not equivocal. As someone who grew up in an environment similar to this kid, ie a religious school that fancied itself as a political crusade—I vividly remember being assembled around the flag pole to pray for Clinton’s impeachment in the winter of 98/99—he likely hasn’t a clue what is actually going on, and he was just doing as he was told. That concerns me, a lot, because as I said having been down that road the signs are clear to me, as are the pitfalls and difficulties of learning important lessons in your 20s that you wish you had learned in your teens, but weren’t taught because you were surrounded by ideological zealots. Hopefully he’ll learn from that and take this as a lesson not to go blindly following people into a crowd, and learn nuance. 16 year-olds as a rule though, particularly males, are typically pretty bad at this. But if he wants to cry about it he needs to blame his school for putting him in that situation, his parents for not teaching him a bit more about the world, and himself for putting that hat on. He has no grounds to complain about the media or the world of hardened adults and dirty politics into which he was placed. The world is not fair. $250 million isn’t going to change that. Welcome to the real world kid, where there is such thing as being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and though you didn’t intentionally do anything wrong, you’re still responsible for how you got there. And oh by the way, it looks like he’s still being manipulated by the irresponsible adults who put him in a compromising situation to begin with.

And whoever above said it was correct. You don’t go on a “school field trip” to DC to protest. I’d be curious how many parents signed off on that, and how many kids from that class stayed home. I’d be curious to know whether the school sanctioned this as part of the field trip—this could also be the school covering their own hides.

Meanwhile, the higher ups at Fox News and other conservative-leaningpublications better hope this lawsuit disappears quickly because their hosts shoot from the hip and miss wildly with just as much regularity as anyone else.

scbriml

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:33 pm

luckyone wrote:
Meanwhile, the higher ups at Fox News and other conservative-leaningpublications better hope this lawsuit disappears quickly because their hosts shoot from the hip and miss wildly with just as much regularity as anyone else.

But, but, but... Clinton! Benghazi! Obama!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Redd

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
The case will go forward and the process will adjudicate the lawsuit. As it will any more to come (which there will be) I doubt they will get anywhere close to 250 Million but will be able to prove that the media's rush to convict them of hate did bring some hardship to him and the Wapo will be cutting a check. As I mentioned before it could be a moment that puts the the big media companies on notice that they may actually have to go back to actually being real journalists and get all the facts instead of rushing to smear a young minor to prove a political point.

KICT wrote:

Actually this kid got a pretty bum deal. So this lawsuit is far from frivolous.

That kid should count himself lucky that he didn't get hurt, if I was that native I would have knocked that little shit out for the disrespect he showed.

The lawsuit is frivolous, the kid tried to be a hero and show all of his buddies how ignorant he is. He made the choice to put himself out there and try to score points with the primitive MAGA crowd, becoming the posterboy for other ignorant little shits like himself.

This sets a dangerous precedent, if the Wapo settles with him it'll encourage other little shits to go out and do the same thing in hopes of a payday and will limit journalism in a big way.... Not only do I hope it goes to court, but I hope Wapo counter sues and does everything to destroy the little shit for trying to extort 250M from a news agency for doing their job.

seat64k

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Redd wrote:
That kid should count himself lucky that he didn't get hurt, if I was that native I would have knocked that little shit out for the disrespect he showed.

This is the problem with media. They blindly report as fact, some BS posted by an anonymous actor on twitter. Bonus points if there's an incendiary racial angle - more clicks y'all! Even if they printed a full correction and apology, it doesn't make one bit of difference. Half the population are still arguing based on the BS version of the story.

slider

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:27 pm

What troubles me is that most of the loudest voices clamoring for freedom of speech are also the same voices that reject any responsibility that goes along with it.

Listen folks, whether you're on the left or right, too many people haven't acknowledged that the mainstream media--broadly speaking--has become a political organ of the left and is in no way, shape, or form, objective. And even when levying their opinions on things, they engage in libel and slander commonly.

There has to be accountability here. So Sandmann has a case, whether you lefties like it or not, and it could very well be a healthy reminder to a "free press" that with freedom comes responsibility.

luckyone

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:33 pm

slider wrote:
What troubles me is that most of the loudest voices clamoring for freedom of speech are also the same voices that reject any responsibility that goes along with it.

Listen folks, whether you're on the left or right, too many people haven't acknowledged that the mainstream media--broadly speaking--has become a political organ of the left and is in no way, shape, or form, objective. And even when levying their opinions on things, they engage in libel and slander commonly.

There has to be accountability here. So Sandmann has a case, whether you lefties like it or not, and it could very well be a healthy reminder to a "free press" that with freedom comes responsibility.

I’d like to refer you to President Trump’s twitter feed and then about 40% of the things he says beforehand you go any further.

NoTime

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Do you have an opinion to the amount this 16y/o is demanding? From my perspective, it is financial bullying. It would be interesting to know whom is paying for this lawyer?

"financial bullying?" Are we really trying to make this out to be a 16 year old and his lawyer "bullying" one of the largest and most popular newspapers in the country?

It is a surprisingly large amount, and my guess is that their intention is to get WaPo to settle out of court. But, if WaPo thinks this is "bullying" then they are certainly welcome to take it to court and fight. My hope, though, is that this causes some of the more respectable news organizations to tap the brakes a little bit and re-evaluate what they focus on and how they rush to put their stories out before anyone else without any fact checking.

From everything I've read, this is just the first of many lawsuits that are going to be filed. I would also guess that the lawyer that has been retained is either working pro-bono or is only accepting payment after the fact. These lawsuits/settlements will be "low hanging fruit" for any lawyer worth his salt.

On a side note, it's incredible how vicious and deranged (apparently) adult liberals have become over the last three years. Just look at the vitriol spewed in this very thread. The hatred and gnashing of teeth - at a teenager... who was wearing a hat... and smirking. Oh the humanity!

Come on people, get a life. Or, at the very least, aim your ridiculous political hatred at an adult.

trpmb6

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:56 pm

luckyone wrote:

And whoever above said it was correct. You don’t go on a “school field trip” to DC to protest. I’d be curious how many parents signed off on that, and how many kids from that class stayed home. I’d be curious to know whether the school sanctioned this as part of the field trip—this could also be the school covering their own hides.

So we shouldn't allow our young adults / teenagers (whatever you wish to call them) to engage in the political process, protest etc? Would you say the same about young women marching in a women's march? Wearing those pink hats?

I pointed this out before in the previous thread on this topic.

The answers to your questions are all out there.