SANAV8R
Topic Author

Calls for SNA to be Renamed

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:29 pm

https://www.latimes.com/local/californi ... story.html

A recently rediscovered interview with John Wayne has caused controversy and some have called for the airport to be renamed. At this point who else could they name it after that won’t cause issue?

One might say Walt Disney as somebody who changed Orange County (although his involvement in HUAC may be controversial) against naming after him but politics aside.

Or one could suggest an actual OC-born figure like singer Gwen Stefani, golfer Tiger Woods or (highly doubtful) Richard Nixon. Frankly at this point they’ll probably end up naming it after a Real Housewife...just kidding.

Politics aside is there a case here or is this something that will be discussed just until the next news story about some celebrity's action from years ago.
You're either gonna love me or hate me. There is no in between with me.

ilovelamp

Re: Calls for SNA to be Renamed

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:40 pm

If we keep erasing all bad things from our past, we will eventually have future generations that won’t learn from past mistakes and issues.

I hope the people calling for this change are ethically and morally pure based on future ethical and moral teachings.

ILL

HWC1977

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:58 pm

Orange County is pretty Republican. The Duke was a great. Hopefully they won't give into these cry babies.

Revelation

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:07 pm

HWC1977 wrote:
Orange County is pretty Republican. The Duke was a great. Hopefully they won't give into these cry babies.

Clearly you didn't read the article.

OC was pretty R, but now its congressional delegation is 100% D.

Go ahead and read the article and then tell us about his greatness.

On the other hand, if you've already labelled people as crybabies, you already know it all.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Blerg

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:16 pm

This would be a pretty pathetic move especially since he was a legend, not only in the US but on the international level as well.

OA940

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Whoever names an airport after Gwen Stefani has a VIP bed in a phsych ward
A350/CSeries = bae

DarthLobster

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:23 pm

It’s a worthless debate. You know it’s going to follow in BUR’s footsteps and end up as “Los Angeles-Orange County Int’l” or “Anaheim Int’l” or the like. This business of naming airports after contemporary figures that eventually fall out of relevancy or popularity needs to end.
Last edited by DarthLobster on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GSPSPOT

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:24 pm

People in general just need to remember/learn how to "suck it up & go, buddy" as a teacher of mine used to say.
Great Lakes, great life.

BlatantEcho

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:31 pm

"Those who are determined to be 'offended' will discover a provocation somewhere. We cannot possibly adjust enough to please the fanatics, and it is degrading to make the attempt."
Christopher Hitchens

vhtje

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:33 pm

It's a tricky one. One doesn't want to judge an historical figure by today's (changing) standards and values, as repugnant as their historical values may be to us in 2019. For example: my Grandmother, who was born in 1904, in the very early 1970s when I was three gave me a golliwog. Obviously today we have moved on and regard something like this as utterly and completely repulsive, but there was not such sentiment towards them for my Grandmother's generation.

On the other hand, in the Playboy interview quoted in the linked article, Wayne equates his own economic struggles as a young actor with the appalling treatment the native Americans suffered at the hand of the European settlers. That takes some gall, and is about as repugnant as anything I can think of, so yes, if he really was that ignorant (I'll be generous and call it ignorance, not hatred) then the airport should lose its association with John Wayne.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Aptivaboy

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:35 pm

This is all total BS, total political and historical vandalism. Every person on the planet who was, is, or ever will be is a product of their times. We have to judge them in the context of their times. In the Duke's era, many people held similar beliefs. We may not like them now, but they were prevalent back then. Does that mean that we judge everyone by virtue of contemporary beliefs and mores? Heck no. If so, we'd be condemning the Clintons for being against gay marriage, or Planned Parenthood for being in favor of abortion and eugenics to reduce the number of minority babies (look this one up, its actually true regarding its founder). These are all "inconvenient truths," to use a manbearpig-ism.

John Wayne Airport will remain John Wayne Airport, at least it should.

Johnv707

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Blerg wrote:
This would be a pretty pathetic move especially since he was a legend, not only in the US but on the international level as well.

This discussion can easily degenerate to a political shouting match that will never be resolved here on a.net. Some of us are liberal and some of us are conservative and a.net will never change our opinions. John Wayne's comments were 50 years ago when many attitudes were different. The trend today is to tear down anything that is not politically correct. So if the airport needs to be renamed, just call it ORANGE COUNTY Airport. They did this a few miles north renaming the Bob hope airport back to HOLLYWOOD BURBANK Airport.

Lets keep the discussion about aviation, something we all have in common.

Adipocere

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:38 pm

They should just go ahead and name it Los Angeles Orange County airport or something. At least that already has ‘AOC’ in it.
Last edited by Adipocere on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAXBUR

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:38 pm

The guy was an actor. He made some cool films. The fact anyone would be upset about the airport changing the name is also a “snowflake”. My mom grew up in Orange County. She’s not there any longer but gets confused by John Wayne Airport thinking it is different than Orange County Airport. So I’m sure many others do as well. They should just go the non-political route and rename it m in the name of tourism without memorializing anyone.

DRG

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:40 pm

They stopped teaching history in schools. If we are supposed to erase the past then maybe we need to give out free Dementia pills to the masses and we only live for today. What a bunch of BS all this is. Anyone that spoke a word prior today is under scrutiny. Some people in the opposite coasts need to get a life.

DTWLAX

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:45 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
It’s a worthless debate. You know it’s going to follow in BUR’s footsteps and end up as “Los Angeles-Orange County Int’l” or “Anaheim Int’l” or the like. This business of naming airports after contemporary figures that eventually fall out of relevancy or popularity needs to end.

The airport is not even in Anaheim. There is already enough confusion given its location - whether it is in Santa Ana, Irvine or Newport Beach. They should just call it Orange County International Airport.

Karlsands

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:45 pm

SANAV8R wrote:
https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-hiltzik-john-wayne-oc-airport-20190221-story.html

A recently rediscovered interview with John Wayne has caused controversy and some have called for the airport to be renamed. At this point who else could they name it after that won’t cause issue?

One might say Walt Disney as somebody who changed Orange County (although his involvement in HUAC may be controversial) against naming after him but politics aside.

Or one could suggest an actual OC-born figure like singer Gwen Stefani, golfer Tiger Woods or (highly doubtful) Richard Nixon. Frankly at this point they’ll probably end up naming it after a Real Housewife...just kidding.

Politics aside is there a case here or is this something that will be discussed just until the next news story about some celebrity's action from years ago.

More PC garbage, people tend to go out of their way to be offended these days

caljn

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:46 pm

It is already commonly referred to as "Orange County"...just leave it at that.

hOMSaR

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Why not rename it “Orange County” airport and stop this silliness of needing to name big facilities after people.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

ak

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:50 pm

Jumpin Jesus Christ! Just stop! Quit being so offended by every little thing!
Last edited by ak on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" I am serious...and don't call me Shirley!

cschleic

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:52 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
The guy was an actor. He made some cool films. The fact anyone would be upset about the airport changing the name is also a “snowflake”. My mom grew up in Orange County. She’s not there any longer but gets confused by John Wayne Airport thinking it is different than Orange County Airport. So I’m sure many others do as well. They should just go the non-political route and rename it m in the name of tourism without memorializing anyone.

I grew up in California and remember everyone simply calling it Orange County. Perhaps that's because the name changed after I became interested in planes so the original name stuck in my mind. While many airports are named after famous people, this one seems to create confusion. I recall way back when, for a short time, Air California was so enamored with John Wayne that they listed it in their timetable under "J" for John Wayne. Not the actual city (Santa Ana, as in the SNA airport code) or more typical reference (Orange County). How many people, other than local residents, would have known to look for that? Nobody looked up Hopkins when going to Cleveland. Eventually they got past that and reverted to calling it Orange County like all the other airlines.

wedgetail737

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:56 pm

Maybe they should call it NIMBY International Airport since they're are always trying to shut it down. It's interesting how we can be so PC and sensitive yet we have TV shows called "Blackish" and "Fresh Off the Boat."

HWC1977

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Revelation wrote:
HWC1977 wrote:

I already have. It actually moved him up a few spots in my book.

chonetsao

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:10 pm

How about follow Britain's lead to have a 'people's vote'? ...Oh hold on, the looser side would campaign for a fresh 'people' vote' because they lost?...I rest my case.

UltimateDelta

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:12 pm

SANAV8R wrote:
Or one could suggest an actual OC-born figure...

Personally I'd be a fan of Social Distortion International Airport.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

B737900ER

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:18 pm

HWC1977 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
HWC1977 wrote:

I already have. It actually moved him up a few spots in my book.

And there we have it.

I find it funny, that when one side accuses the other side of something, they’re often times doing the exact same thing.

Bottom line, people can’t realize their own stupidity.

wnflyguy

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:21 pm

UltimateDelta wrote:
SANAV8R wrote:
Or one could suggest an actual OC-born figure...

Personally I'd be a fan of Social Distortion International Airport.

Best post EVER on A.net

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:32 pm

I'm just thankful there's like 5 Polaroids of me as a kid and maybe a few tape recordings of stupid jokes. I feel bad for the people growing up today who will have every single word and action they thoughtlessly put on social media or saved in their phones thrown back in their faces 30 years later.

Regarding this issue, just name it Orange County and be done with it.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

klkla

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 pm

HWC1977 wrote:

Those days are long gone my friend. All six congressional districts in OC are now held by Democrats.

But back to the 'Duke'. None of these revelations are new and everyone new what he was like when they named the airport after him. Personally I didn't care for him or his politics but I see no reason to rename the airport. If they do it should just be called Orange County Airport.

AAlaxfan

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Name it John Wayne-Orange County Airport. This way you can refer to it as John Wayne or Orange County. But to remove his name because of something he said 48+ years ago is asinine.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

compensateme

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Deceptive thread title - there are no “calls to rename SNA” — the OP is sharing an editorial authored by a single person.

That said, renaming SNA from John Wayne to something more reflective of its location has been an on-and-off topic for years, including a strong push in the late 1990s when OC was still mostly white and solid Republican.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

lhpdx

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Here's a snippet for one of John Waynes famous racist interviews from Playboy.......Wayne responded: “With a lot of blacks, there’s quite a bit of resentment along with their dissent, and possibly rightfully so. But we can’t all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks. I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

So silly of me to ask, but what exactly was great about this guy again?

deebee278

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:00 pm

I grew up three miles from KSNA. Mr Wayne lived about six miles south in Newport Beach, on the harbor. He had to dock his yacht elsewhere because the water was too shallow in front of his home. I got a good laugh when they renamed the airport JWA because he hated that airport and was quite vocal about the subject. I'll grant him the fact that jets were much louder in the 70s than now.

SurlyBonds

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:06 pm

HWC1977 wrote:

Crybabies? Really? Which part of John Wayne's behavior do you think is causing these "crybabies" to overreact? The part where he says, "I believe in white supremacy"? The part where he says "slavery is a fact of life"? So that we're clear, HWC1977, since you think these are "crybaby" thoughts, are you saying you agree with them?

ODwyerPW

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:07 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
Why not rename it “Orange County” airport and stop this silliness of needing to name big facilities after people.

I don't have an opinion on this one way or the other because honestly I didn't read the article..

But I will go on record as saying that i think it's unnecessary to name a public anything after a person. Just keep it neutral... place names or landmark names or otherwise interesting names (Phoenix's Sky Harbour is a great example of an interesting name that doesn't unnecessarily shower accolades on anyone). That said, I don't think we need to go around stripping personal names off of everything either (again, I have no opinion on this particular event), sometimes it might be appropriate, other times it's just an expensive change for the sake of change. But going forward... just stop the unnecessary flattery... and avoid naming public stuff after people. Airports as monuments to people... meh....
learning never stops.

flymco753

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:11 pm

This would be almost as bad as remaining Chicago-Midway or O'Hare to Chicago-R.M. Daley Airport.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

WPvsMW

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:24 pm

Charm City International

SurlyBonds

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:31 pm

HWC1977 wrote:
If people could take their PC glasses off for a minute, they might see for the period of time it was said in, there might have been some logic to it.

In case you hadn't noticed, in 1971, slavery had been abolished for over 100 years.

Or more likely, you had noticed and quietly agree with John Wayne's comments, since you think those condemning them are "crybabies" and that the comments "might have [had] some logic."

So again, to set the record straight: do you, or do you not, agree with what John Wayne said?

WeatherPilot

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:31 pm

Really I'm not surprised at any of this. The whinny minority are given too much of a stage. The American Dream is being transformed. No longer is it a steady job, family, house, white picket fence, etc. It's to be offended by or become a victim of something or someone to gather sympothy to affect a change or to take one to court for monetary damages.

Trk1

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:34 pm

It is a disgrace to have an airport named after this man. Every time I fly from the airport I have a touch of anger. As a people we can do better than this. Let just call it Orange County airport.

HWC1977

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:35 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
HWC1977 wrote:
If people could take their PC glasses off for a minute, they might see for the period of time it was said in, there might have been some logic to it.

In case you hadn't noticed, in 1971, slavery had been abolished for over 100 years.

Or more likely, you had noticed and quietly agree with John Wayne's comments, since you think those condemning them are "crybabies" and that the comments "might have [had] some logic."

So again, to set the record straight: do you, or do you not, agree with what John Wayne said?

Some of it, if put into proper context, I do.

SurlyBonds

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:47 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
Really I'm not surprised at any of this. The whinny minority are given too much of a stage. The American Dream is being transformed. No longer is it a steady job, family, house, white picket fence, etc. It's to be offended by or become a victim of something or someone to gather sympothy to affect a change or to take one to court for monetary damages.

The whinny minority? To quote Timothy Dalton (an underrated Bond) in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, "are you calling me a horse's arse"?

One might hope that your vision of the American Dream might include spelling lessons. "Sympothy," indeed.

I seriously hope you're not a pilot.

SXDFC

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Welcome to “Sticks and Stones may break my bones, as long as the flight isn’t delayed or cancelled” International Airport.

I think in all fairness, the actual public is more concerned if they’re going to make their connection, or if the flight is late than what the airport is named after.. Just my two cents and my own opinion.

WeatherPilot

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:06 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

The whinny minority? To quote Timothy Dalton (an underrated Bond) in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, "are you calling me a horse's arse"?

One might hope that your vision of the American Dream might include spelling lessons. "Sympothy," indeed.

I seriously hope you're not a pilot.

You know, you don't have to be offended by everything. Our freedoms to be who we want to be is what made America Great. People who want to alter history and force everyone to conform to their preconceived ideas of how a uptopian society should behave goes against everything that America fought for. If you're that bent out of shape about the morals, ethics, ideals and beliefs of other people just move on. Nobody is hurting you.

p.s. Thanks for proving my point.

deltadart106

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Frankly, I'm surprised that anyone cares. Do we really need an airport named after a movie star that died 40 years ago? He starred in some good movies and is an american icon, no doubt, but people act like he was some kind of actual hero.I'm also surprised that people are shocked that a man born in 1909 was a racist, he was a product of his time. There are far, far, more pressing issues in our country today than this asinine debate. Just call the damn place Orange County Int'l and move on.

compensateme

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:21 pm

That the airport was ever named after John Wayne is unusual. He was hardly a local civic leader, he was merely a local celebrity. How many other airports in this country were named after local celebrities? Maybe LAX should become Kim Kardashian West International Airport?

Fact is, Eddie Martin’s — the founder of SNA — name was all but dropped by Tom Riley, who pushed for the airport to be named after John Wayne and later saw the terminal itself named after him.

If the community no longer feels the JW name is appropriate, then the community has the right to change it, and nobody living in Mississippia, Georgia or DC should be opposed. There are plenty of tributes to JW in the Greater Los Angeles area, and I’m sure the statue would readily find a more welcoming home.
Last edited by compensateme on Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

FlyHappy

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:21 pm

I vote for "Short Roll Airport".

John Wayne was a lousy actor, and that statue of him is just plain tacky; fortunately its a lot less prominent these days due to expansion.

ikramerica

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:32 pm

chonetsao wrote:
How about follow Britain's lead to have a 'people's vote'? ...Oh hold on, the looser side would campaign for a fresh 'people' vote' because they lost?...I rest my case.

Wouldnt that result in the name “Airporty McAirportface”

Anyway, I vote for Hollywood Orange County Airport.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ual763

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Trk1 wrote:
It is a disgrace to have an airport named after this man. Every time I fly from the airport I have a touch of anger. As a people we can do better than this. Let just call it Orange County airport.

Do you also get a touch of anger every time you hear the name of our capital? Should we rename Washington, DC?
From flying to the NOTAM office

SurlyBonds

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:58 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
You know, you don't have to be offended by everything.

I'm not offended by everything. I am offended by blathering idiots saying there's a "logic" to comments openly defending white supremacy and slavery. Uh duh.

WeatherPilot wrote:
Our freedoms to be who we want to be is what made America Great. People who want to alter history and force everyone to conform to their preconceived ideas of how a uptopian society should behave goes against everything that America fought for.

I'm going to decline your invitation to sound-bite What Made America Great on an (international) aviation blog, thanks. But I would observe that President Lincoln, who is by most accounts the best president in American history, would evidently disagree, since he favored the 13th and 14th amendments.