Beardown91737

Re: Calls for SNA to be Renamed

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:13 pm

compensateme wrote:
That the airport was ever named after John Wayne is unusual. He was hardly a local civic leader, he was merely a local celebrity. How many other airports in this country were named after local celebrities? Maybe LAX should become Kim Kardashian West International Airport?

Fact is, Eddie Martin’s — the founder of SNA — name was all but dropped by Tom Riley, who pushed for the airport to be named after John Wayne and later saw the terminal itself named after him.

If the community no longer feels the JW name is appropriate, then the community has the right to change it, and nobody living in Mississippia, Georgia or DC should be opposed. There are plenty of tributes to JW in the Greater Los Angeles area, and I’m sure the statue would readily find a more welcoming home.

I would like to see LAX named after Kardashian. I would also like to see Newport Beach worked into the name of OC Airport, just for my own amusement.

OC would serve itself best by simply reverting to Orange County. Everyone knows that Disneyland is in OC.The OC name would also steer business travelers with OC destinations away from LAX.

Tiger Woods has his own infamy, and leaving Nixon's political and ethical problems aside, he is more connected to ONT than SNA. Mark McGwire is an OC local, maybe the airport authority could advertise that they launch aircraft over Newport Beach like a catapult on steroids. Donald Bren was instrumental in the success of Irvine but I don't know his background.

In the future there may be a local person of prominence to name SNA for, who hasn't done or said anything to offend current or future sensibilities, and who can survive shifting political winds.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

Pudelhund

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:28 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Here's a snippet for one of John Waynes famous racist interviews from Playboy.......Wayne responded: “With a lot of blacks, there’s quite a bit of resentment along with their dissent, and possibly rightfully so. But we can’t all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks. I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

So silly of me to ask, but what exactly was great about this guy again?

Where's the lie?

usflyer msp

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:31 pm

They should sell the naming rights like they do with stadiums.
Maybe to a Mexican beer company...

Corona Orange County International Airport or Pacifico Orange County International Airport roll off the tongue nicely...

MrBretz

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:33 pm

I grew up about 10 miles northwest of the airport. I now live about 10 miles in the other direction. We locals have always called it Orange County airport and sometimes John Wayne since it was renamed. I don’t care if they rename it. I thought it strange they named it after him when they did 40 years ago. I had to drag myself to the movies to see one of his last films. If they change the name, I wonder if they will remove that statue of him.

atcsundevil

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:57 pm

This discussion has largely become unrelated to aviation, so the thread has been moved accordingly. Keep the thread on topic without personal attacks, or it will be locked.

✈️ atcsundevil

Classa64

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:59 pm

Never understood why they name airports after people.
I grew up 10min from Lester B Pearson Airport (YYZ) and Now I live 10min from Jack garland Airport( YYB ). Anyone I have ever talked to about airports or where i am flying to its always been the city its in. Reason is If I say I am flying from Jack Garland to Lester B they look at me like I had a stroke.
I don't even know where John Wayne airport is ! I do now though, Orange county.
Don't want to call it John Wayne don't, seems everyone in and around that airport calls it Orange County.

C.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:10 am

Why not name it Orange County Harrison Ford Airport.

At least Ford had made an "impact" on the airport....
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

afcjets

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:38 am

Beardown91737 wrote:
Mark McGwire is an OC local, maybe the airport authority could advertise that they launch aircraft over Newport Beach like a catapult on steroids.

At first I thought you meant Mark McGrath, who went to Corona del Mar HS which is only a couple of miles from the end of the runway.

knope2001

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:51 am

I do like the idea of renaming SNA after a local Orange County band, and No Doubt and Social Distortion are decent options. But I think there's an even more obvious OC band to honor...

Welcome to Berlin International Airport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_(band)

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:17 am

Classa64 wrote:
Never understood why they name airports after people.
I grew up 10min from Lester B Pearson Airport (YYZ) and Now I live 10min from Jack garland Airport( YYB ).

I found a list featuring 82 US airports named after famous people, 28 of whom I actually recognised. The remainder are presumably local celebrities.

Elsewhere across the world there are hundreds more
Roughly speaking these fall into four broad categories.

1) Historical superstars (Leonardo da Vinci, Galileo Galilei, Mozart, Chopin, Liszt)

2) Modern celebrities, (Bob Hope, John Wayne, Arnold Palmer)

3) Politicians, some of real note (JFK, CDG, Abraham Lincoln) and plenty of others who were legends, but only within their own city block. :roll:

4) Aviation pioneers, many unrecognisable to the general population (Claire Chennault, Igor Sikorsky, Charles Kingsford Smith, Santos Dumont, Billy Bishop)

I observe that Italy has one of the best selections in terms of genuine class. :yes:

At the other end of the scale, the UK only lists three - a footballer, a Disney character, and some guy called John Lennon. Imagine that!
In reality, two of these represented new sites (former military bases) that had no real history of civil aviation and were genuinely looking for a new identity anyway.

Unfortunately in each case they chose a local pop celebrity instead of somebody like Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare, Christopher Wren, Oliver Cromwell, Winston Churchill, or the daddy - Isambard Kingdom Brunel. :lol:

In most other cases, the UK will cling on to names like Heathrow, remembering a forgotten ancient hamlet with a population so small they could hold village meetings in a phone box. Or Gatwick, a goat farm dating back to 1241.

Maybe it's best that way....
:wave:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

HWC1977

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:12 am

StuckinCMHland wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
It is hilarious who’s actually getting upset about this...the Right Wingers. John Wayne was an actor. Not a politician, not a founder, not a community leader. He didn’t actually change history. He represented what Orange County thought of itself years ago. Which is silly. John Wayne ACTED like a cowboy but lived in a rich beach community. lol.

Orange County is no longer Red anyways. Something folks on here are intentionally ignoring. He may represent a few people left in some of the richer white communities, but sorry white supremacists, that’s not the rest of OC. If this went to the polls and people were properly informed of his views, the name would be gone overnight.

Name it Orange County Airport. That’s where it is at, that’s who it serves, and folks are familiar enough with it.

With all due respect, your biases are showing in attacking other people. Last time I checked the whole naming controversy started because people on your side of the political divide got offended by something said in an article decades ago. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

And to make the record clear the only reason why OC changed hands is due to questionable voting practices after the election was completed, which to an outside observer is vote fraud, even if the California legislature made it possible, So please get off your high horse and stop the virtue signalling. Thanks,

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Thanks for making a good point. I almost feel sorry for California. There are a lot more conservatives out there than the liberals would like to admit. The voters passed a proposition so gays couldn't get married. If all those Republicans actually spoke louder than those liberals in LA and SF, California might stand a chance.

WarRI1

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:45 am

HWC1977 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
HWC1977 wrote:
Go ahead and read the article and then tell us about his greatness.

I already have. It actually moved him up a few spots in my book.

He was an Actor pure and simple, he also had a character defect like the Orange man, take a guess what it was.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Beardown91737

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:28 am

usflyer msp wrote:
They should sell the naming rights like they do with stadiums.
Maybe to a Mexican beer company...

Corona Orange County International Airport or Pacifico Orange County International Airport roll off the tongue nicely...

Would have to be Pacifico. There is a Corona Airport in the City of Corona in Riverside County, about 10 mi south of ONT.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

alfa164

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:43 am

HWC1977 wrote:
I almost feel sorry for California. There are a lot more conservatives out there than the liberals would like to admit.

Apparently, either 1) all those conservatives in California just decided not to vote; or 2) you are wrong.

Guess which one I am betting on...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

LAXBUR

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:01 am

HWC1977 wrote:
StuckinCMHland wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
It is hilarious who’s actually getting upset about this...the Right Wingers. John Wayne was an actor. Not a politician, not a founder, not a community leader. He didn’t actually change history. He represented what Orange County thought of itself years ago. Which is silly. John Wayne ACTED like a cowboy but lived in a rich beach community. lol.

Orange County is no longer Red anyways. Something folks on here are intentionally ignoring. He may represent a few people left in some of the richer white communities, but sorry white supremacists, that’s not the rest of OC. If this went to the polls and people were properly informed of his views, the name would be gone overnight.

Name it Orange County Airport. That’s where it is at, that’s who it serves, and folks are familiar enough with it.

With all due respect, your biases are showing in attacking other people. Last time I checked the whole naming controversy started because people on your side of the political divide got offended by something said in an article decades ago. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

And to make the record clear the only reason why OC changed hands is due to questionable voting practices after the election was completed, which to an outside observer is vote fraud, even if the California legislature made it possible, So please get off your high horse and stop the virtue signalling. Thanks,

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Thanks for making a good point. I almost feel sorry for California. There are a lot more conservatives out there than the liberals would like to admit. The voters passed a proposition so gays couldn't get married. If all those Republicans actually spoke louder than those liberals in LA and SF, California might stand a chance.

Ha. Just because you say so doesn’t make it so. The absolute mental illness of the Right is sad. You can’t even accept facts. Everyone is against you. Nothing is real. Science is fake. Guess where voter fraud has been proven on a large scale? In North Carolina. By Republicans.

Keep on crying and rallying for hateful figures. Within this thread you stated you now had more respect for John Wayne after reading the article. Yet I’m sure you also run around screaming you’re not racist. Unless y’all start a civil war you’re on your way out. Which wouldn’t surprise me because you’d absolutely love to see America in flames before non-white leadership and power.

crownvic

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:04 am

UltimateDelta wrote:
SANAV8R wrote:
Or one could suggest an actual OC-born figure...

Personally I'd be a fan of Social Distortion International Airport.

Hey, the Dems are pushing for Harry Reid Int'l in Vegas, so why not just go for broke and call it Pelosi Airport, or should we save that for renaming LAX? :)

crownvic

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:08 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
You know, you don't have to be offended by everything.

I'm not offended by everything. I am offended by blathering idiots saying there's a "logic" to comments openly defending white supremacy and slavery. Uh duh.

WeatherPilot wrote:
Our freedoms to be who we want to be is what made America Great. People who want to alter history and force everyone to conform to their preconceived ideas of how a uptopian society should behave goes against everything that America fought for.

I'm going to decline your invitation to sound-bite What Made America Great on an (international) aviation blog, thanks. But I would observe that President Lincoln, who is by most accounts the best president in American history, would evidently disagree, since he favored the 13th and 14th amendments.

SurlyBonds...I think A.O.C. is calling you!

harleydriver

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:52 am

Its sad, when I was a youngster in the late 70's after the first Star Wars movie came out, I dressed as Darth Vader for Halloween and had a black mask. I will never be able to run for political office due to that unforgivable event with the travesty of Blackface. I will always regret my poor choice of costumes as a kid and beg for mercy. A promising career ruined.
Department of Redundancy Department

Blerg

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:23 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

I'm not offended by everything. I am offended by blathering idiots saying there's a "logic" to comments openly defending white supremacy and slavery. Uh duh.

WeatherPilot wrote:
Our freedoms to be who we want to be is what made America Great. People who want to alter history and force everyone to conform to their preconceived ideas of how a uptopian society should behave goes against everything that America fought for.

I'm going to decline your invitation to sound-bite What Made America Great on an (international) aviation blog, thanks. But I would observe that President Lincoln, who is by most accounts the best president in American history, would evidently disagree, since he favored the 13th and 14th amendments.

Shouldn't Washington be the greatest president since, you know, he gave you that country you live in today? Also, I think he was misunderstood, if he was a true white supremacist then he wouldn't want blacks to be part of the system which is not what he said. He said that they first need to be educated before they can govern which is something I agree with. Governing a country is an important task and it shouldn't be given to just about anyone.. just look at AOC and the circus she's making. I hope, for the sake of the country you live in, that you agree with Wayne on this one.

Furthermore, how many US blacks are actual descendants of slaves? It's kind of wrong for most of them to be crying about slavery in the US when their ancestors were never part of it. Not to mention that blacks sold blacks but anyway, we always like to avoid that debate because it doesn't contribute to the spread of 'white guilt.'

John Wayne shouldn't have his name removed, they can keep the name as a sign of respect towards someone who helped promote a positive image of the US throughout the world. Don't forget that before WW2 the US wasn't that popular or well-known around the globe. His films certainly helped change that. And anyway, like him or not, he did predict that Hollywood will eventually produce trash and he was right about that. Today's films are mostly low-quality productions.

lhpdx

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:22 am

Blerg wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

WeatherPilot wrote:

Shouldn't Washington be the greatest president since, you know, he gave you that country you live in today? Also, I think he was misunderstood, if he was a true white supremacist then he wouldn't want blacks to be part of the system which is not what he said. He said that they first need to be educated before they can govern which is something I agree with. Governing a country is an important task and it shouldn't be given to just about anyone.. just look at AOC and the circus she's making. I hope, for the sake of the country you live in, that you agree with Wayne on this one.

Furthermore, how many US blacks are actual descendants of slaves? It's kind of wrong for most of them to be crying about slavery in the US when their ancestors were never part of it. Not to mention that blacks sold blacks but anyway, we always like to avoid that debate because it doesn't contribute to the spread of 'white guilt.'

John Wayne shouldn't have his name removed, they can keep the name as a sign of respect towards someone who helped promote a positive image of the US throughout the world. Don't forget that before WW2 the US wasn't that popular or well-known around the globe. His films certainly helped change that. And anyway, like him or not, he did predict that Hollywood will eventually produce trash and he was right about that. Today's films are mostly low-quality productions.

The racist undertone of this thread has become quite concerning........I think it should be closed...........

ltbewr

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:45 am

The naming of airports like many other public facilities including buildings, parks, bridges, streets, roads, arenas. stadiums, public college facilities and organizations has become far more complex but were often done for cheap political reasons. Orange County added John Wayne to the name of its airport for cheap political reasons as a very well known name and seen as a 'real American' popular with the voters in that county. The problem is that times change, the internet and political pressure we now know a lot more about the lives of people often learning of their racism, sexism, criminal behaviors and so on years later. We have seen battles over public statutes and namings of public facilities connected with political and military leaders of the Confederate States of American often done years after its fall to get the votes of White voters with such open statements of racism

Even recent naming or co-namings have become controversial only a short time after they are done, for example Facebook's Zuckerberg name on San Francisco Hospital after he gave a huge donation. We have seen clumsy co-naming done to reduce confusion, add later contributors, especially if Black or Hispanic/Latino to buy their votes. EWR added Liberty to it name of Newark International Airport shortly after 9/11 and is rarely used by the public although it does reduce confusion due to the similarity in how the city name of Newark is to New York. Public arena and stadiums changed names as got naming income by corporations although that too has faced issues from foreign companies connected with Germany's Nazi era.

MrBretz

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:27 am

Let’s see, the Kona airport has been renamed the Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keahole. The Honolulu airport is called the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport. But they are called by all of us as the Kona or Honolulu airport. SNA is in my back yard. It will always be the Orange County airport.

Moderators please close this thread.

chonetsao

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:11 am

ual763 wrote:
Trk1 wrote:
It is a disgrace to have an airport named after this man. Every time I fly from the airport I have a touch of anger. As a people we can do better than this. Let just call it Orange County airport.

Do you also get a touch of anger every time you hear the name of our capital? Should we rename Washington, DC?

Haha...very good point! Bravo.

SurlyBonds

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:40 am

HWC1977 wrote:
I almost feel sorry for California. There are a lot more conservatives out there than the liberals would like to admit.

For the record, are you now saying that racism and white supremacy -- which you've admitted you find "logic[al]" -- are conservative values?

Because that's sure what you're implying.

SurlyBonds

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:05 am

Blerg wrote:
Don't forget that before WW2 the US wasn't that popular or well-known around the globe. His films certainly helped change that. And anyway, like him or not, he did predict that Hollywood will eventually produce trash and he was right about that. Today's films are mostly low-quality productions.

The apex of US power was (perhaps) after WW2. But the US wasn't "that popular" before then? Um, Woodrow Wilson and the 14 points? Teddy Roosevelt and the Portsmouth Treaty ending the Russo-Japanese War? The Mexican-American War and the Zimmerman Note? Prince Albert's decision not to intervene in the US Civil War? I mean, the destination of the frickin' Titanic?

As the song lyrics go, "Don't know much about history. Don't know much geography."

The country was still an emerging great power. It didn't need your racist John Wayne Method of Educational Greatness to become one.

And not to get too sidetracked, but we're in the second Golden Age of Hollywood cinema *right* *now*. (Viz., 12 YEARS A SLAVE, which you would do well to watch.) You're just sour because cinema has become more sophisticated than John Wayne on horseback showin' How Real Men Do Things. Sheesh.
Last edited by SurlyBonds on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

SurlyBonds

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:06 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Don't forget that before WW2 the US wasn't that popular or well-known around the globe. His films certainly helped change that. And anyway, like him or not, he did predict that Hollywood will eventually produce trash and he was right about that. Today's films are mostly low-quality productions.

The apex of US power was (perhaps) after WW2. But the US wasn't "that popular" before then? Um, Woodrow Wilson and the 14 points? Teddy Roosevelt and the Portsmouth Treaty ending the Russo-Japanese War? The Mexican-American War and the Zimmerman Note? Prince Albert's decision not to intervene in the US Civil War? I mean, the destination of the frickin' Titanic?

As the song lyrics go, "Don't know much about history. Don't know much geography."

The country was still an emerging great power. It didn't need your racist John Wayne Method of Educational Greatness to become one.

And not to get too sidetracked, but we're in the second Golden Age of Hollywood cinema *right* *now*. (VIz., 12 YEARS A SLAVE.) You're just sour because cinema has become more sophisticated than John Wayne on horseback showin' How Real Men Do Things. Sheesh.

Aesma

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:37 am

Blerg wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

WeatherPilot wrote:

Educated like Sarah Palin ? 3-words of vocabulary Trump ? Rick Perry ?

AOC has a political opinion you disagree with. At least she can express that opinion in correct English, provide arguments for it, etc., much better than the aforementioned people.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:18 am

HWC1977 wrote:
Orange County is pretty Republican. The Duke was a great. Hopefully they won't give into these cry babies.

I was told many years ago that John Wayne was a closeted gay, by a member of this forum none the less.

Kiwirob

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am

Pudelhund wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
Here's a snippet for one of John Waynes famous racist interviews from Playboy.......Wayne responded: “With a lot of blacks, there’s quite a bit of resentment along with their dissent, and possibly rightfully so. But we can’t all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks. I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

Where's the lie?

South Africa is a prime example of what he said, the country is falling apart and won't be too long before it turns into another Zimbabwe, what's really interesting is how the western media won't pick up the news about what's happening. The legacy that Nelson Mandela left behind has been trashed by incompetence and corruption in the ANC.

L410Turbolet

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
The legacy that Nelson Mandela left behind has been trashed by incompetence and corruption in the ANC.

The legacy of a communist? Or the legacy of Soweto's favorite sports disciplíně, sprint accross the ghetto with burning tire around sprinter's neck?

DL717

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:43 pm

SANAV8R wrote:
https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-hiltzik-john-wayne-oc-airport-20190221-story.html

A recently rediscovered interview with John Wayne has caused controversy and some have called for the airport to be renamed. At this point who else could they name it after that won’t cause issue?

One might say Walt Disney as somebody who changed Orange County (although his involvement in HUAC may be controversial) against naming after him but politics aside.

Or one could suggest an actual OC-born figure like singer Gwen Stefani, golfer Tiger Woods or (highly doubtful) Richard Nixon. Frankly at this point they’ll probably end up naming it after a Real Housewife...just kidding.

Politics aside is there a case here or is this something that will be discussed just until the next news story about some celebrity's action from years ago.

First world problems.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

afcjets

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:52 pm

MrBretz wrote:
Let’s see, the Kona airport has been renamed the Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keahole. The Honolulu airport is called the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport. But they are called by all of us as the Kona or Honolulu airport. SNA is in my back yard. It will always be the Orange County airport.

Wanting a topic closed after you post your comment? Do you by chance live on Narcissus in Corona Del Mar?

Revelation

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:30 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

Where's the lie?

It's all lies.

No one asked non-blacks to get down on their knees.

No one asked that everything be turned over to the leadership of blacks.

John Wayne was fear mongering, plain and simple.

At the time, blacks were struggling to get rid of Jim Crow laws.

In many cases they still are.

Ref: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... aw/493649/
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

MrBretz

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:24 pm

afcjets wrote:
MrBretz wrote:

Wanting a topic closed after you post your comment? Do you by chance live on Narcissus in Corona Del Mar?

Nope. But you may have seen me at the See's candy store there a few times.

I didn't mean to be haughty with my comment. It's just like we are beating a dead horse. I wonder if anyone knows that the reason the airport is known as SNA is because it has a mailing address in Santa Ana, CA which happens to be the county seat.

winginit

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:30 pm

HWC1977 wrote:
Orange County was pretty Republican. The Duke was a great. Hopefully they won't give into these cry babies.

Fixed it for you.

ODwyerPW

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:50 pm

ikramerica wrote:
Wouldnt that result in the name “Airporty McAirportface”

I see what you did there. ;)

Can't do that Antarctica expeditions launch from ChristChurch.
learning never stops.

atcsundevil

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Keep the thread on topic without personal attacks or it will be locked. This thread seems to have trouble staying on topic, so this will be the last warning.

✈️ atcsundevil

BN747

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:01 pm

My new name suggestion - LAX Jr.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Blerg

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:03 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
Blerg wrote:

And not to get too sidetracked, but we're in the second Golden Age of Hollywood cinema *right* *now*. (Viz., 12 YEARS A SLAVE, which you would do well to watch.) You're just sour because cinema has become more sophisticated than John Wayne on horseback showin' How Real Men Do Things. Sheesh.

Huh? So the US was popular on the global scale just because a ship (Titanic) sailed there? Also all the things you listed were far from exceptional especially when you take into consideration where other nations were and how relevant they were on the global scale. The US only became a global player after WW2 for obvious reasons. Before that it was fighting for its own place under the sun.

Compare US' global reach in the 1920s to that of the British or the French Empires. The US was a second tier power back then.

As for your supposed second golden age of Hollywood, I guess that statement says more about you than me. But I guess that doesn't matter, what matters is to call anyone racist if they don't immediately agree with you.

vikkyvik

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:47 am

They should take a page from the Angels' playbook and name it "Los Angeles Airport of Santa Ana".
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Dieuwer

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 am

"Small World Airport"... you know, from the Disney song. ;)

stl07

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:27 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Why not name it Orange County Harrison Ford Airport.

At least Ford had made an "impact" on the airport....

we have a winner
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

cranberrysaus

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:44 am

Blerg wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

WeatherPilot wrote:

Jeez, put away the dog whistle won't you? This is kind of disturbing.