WarRI1
Topic Author

The awful Irony of trump going to Vietnam

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:47 pm

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-awful ... to-vietnam.

Read and see if you see the sad Irony of it all. A draft dodger and a true Amercan Hero is the Irony.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

casinterest

Re: The awful Irony of trump going to Vietnam

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:54 pm

To meet with a Dictator that strongly believes in communism. Should have invited Jane Fonda along.
Where ever you go, there you are.

NIKV69

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:02 pm

casinterest wrote:
To meet with a Dictator that strongly believes in communism. Should have invited Jane Fonda along.

I like Kim Jong's sister I have to tell you!
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 pm

casinterest wrote:

It is all so bizarre that how anyone can support this corruption of so called Conservative values stupifies me. They preach and preach, Democracy, Religion, Patriotism, Love of Country, God and family., it is all BS when they support this Phony man with the values of an Ally cat..

Magog

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:14 pm

I really don’t understand this. Peace talks are a good thing. I can’t stand Trump, but I recognize that the potential for peace is bigger than my hatred for him.

Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Magog wrote:
I really don’t understand this. Peace talks are a good thing. I can’t stand Trump, but I recognize that the potential for peace is bigger than my hatred for him.

It is all theatre, nothing else, he has a snowballs chance in hell of getting this killer and madman from going non nuclear, trump is chasing the Nobel Peace Prize, remember Obama getting one, that says it all for the Republicans. Have you heard of Penis envy, they have it in spades. Pardon my crass reply, but one must tell it like it is.

stl07

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:00 pm

Magog wrote:

It would have been a good thing if he wasn't a draft dodger. Also, Bernie sanders I think said it was a good thing yesterday on CNN
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Magog

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:38 pm

Draft dodgers can’t seek peace? That makes no sense.

Tugger

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:59 pm

Magog wrote:

It shouldn't make sense since that is not what was said. Though you are working hard to drag someone to say that.

What was said was: The IRONY of Trump, a draft dodger, going to Vietnam. All the while touting that people who in the past supported dodging the Vietnam draft are unAmerican and unpatriotic. To be a true American is to serve in the military!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

spyglass

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:24 am

Does anyone here think that the Donald and little Kim REALLY call the tune? They both have....puppetmasters....(at least IMHO)...
I remember when......a plane trip was a big deal.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:41 am

Tugger wrote:
Magog wrote:

It shouldn't make sense since that is not what was said. Though you are working hard to drag someone to say that.

What was said was: The IRONY of Trump, a draft dodger, going to Vietnam. All the while touting that people who in the past supported dodging the Vietnam draft are unAmerican and unpatriotic. To be a true American is to serve in the military!

Tugg

Well said, hit it right on the head, hypocrisy at its best.

Magog

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:00 am

I’d rather a hypocrite seek peace than continue the status quo of hostility.

Aesma

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:52 am

I'm not sure what peace is in that case, not sure the participants know either.

I was in Hanoi recently, walked around that lake, slept in a hotel with a view on it, however I wasn't aware of the fact it's where McCain went down.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Eyad89

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:27 am

Magog wrote:

As you said, a hypocrite. Do you REALLY believe he's in it for peace? and most importantly, do you think he will somehow convince NK to de-nuclearize? Or is he only looking for a few good headlines that he probably won't get?

After all, he's the best negotiator in the world, said the hypocrite.

Magog

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:37 am

Eyad89 wrote:
Magog wrote:

As you said, a hypocrite. Do you REALLY believe he's in it for peace? and most importantly, do you think he will somehow convince NK to de-nuclearize? Or is he only looking for a few good headlines that he probably won't get?

After all, he's the best negotiator in the world, said the hypocrite.

I think that Trump is desperate for a legacy and sees peace in Korea as giving him that legacy. My gut tells me that he will make some headway, but will not achieve denuclearization. But we shall see. Any progress will be a good thing.

ltbewr

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm

While Donald J. Trump is legally the President of the USA, to me and a plurality of Americans and in much of the world he does not have any moral authority. An American President meeting with what many believe to be one of the obscenely cruel heads of state in the world in the 'Dear Leader' of North Korea is absolutely wrong as we know all that Un is just looking for some respect for home consumption, seen as the legit leader of a country, and seeking like Russia an end to crippling sanctions by making promises as to his nuke and missile building that threatens the world.

Further, by a President meeting in Vietnam, he insults many Americans. Vietnam is a place that saw the murder of millions including over 50,000 USA soldiers (including a then 19 year old cousin of mine in 1967) and 1000's from other countries in almost 2 decades of war there. They have an Authoritative - Capitalist government that allows the exploitation of their citizens for terribly cheap and dangerous labor just because we allow them to buy Billions in Boeing Aircraft. The Vietnam Government has already curbed to near nothing the news media from covering this stupid meeting to support Un.

I have no trust in Trump as President and as a person long before he became President. He is likely to be suckered into bad deals to try to make himself look good and more likely help our enemies. He is also not going to get much sleep during his trip as will be watching the coverage of the testimony of his former personal attorney Cohen before Congressional committees during the overnight hours who is likely say things that Trump will react to with a series of tweets rather than properly prepare for such sensitive talks.

Aesma

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:52 pm

I think it's the Vietnamese who should be holding a grudge, but for some reason they don't, they love Americans.

As for Trump meeting Un, that's not problematic in itself, calling him his friend, saying they're in love with each other, that's another story entirely.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

trpmb6

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:26 pm

Meeting in Vietnam is the most brilliant part of this. It shows rocketman exactly what can happen if we come to a peace agreement and work together.

Look at all of our former enemies. They're great nations now. Most are economic power houses, at least compared to their local counterparts.

You have to understand that Kim Jong un is westernized. He was educated in Switzerland. He knows what its like to live outside of NK. One of the best tactics, in my opinion, to use against him is to show him what NK could be. The question is, does he *want* to change NK and does he have the ability to change course in the face of his top military brass and the anti-american propaganda they've been spewing for several generations now.

Don't forget, it was President Obama who told President-Elect Trump that North Korea would be his single biggest challenge. Like it or not, he is our President right now and if we can't hold a united front in trying to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula then all hope is lost for any sort of bipartisanship in this country.

slider

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:32 pm

Vietnam is a great country, a growing burgeoning market economy with freedom loving people who've (among those who came to the States) become damn fine assimilated Americans in many ways, by and large.

Given the transformational changes going on in in the Korean peninsula, it makes sense for a sitting POTUS to work on strengthening relations with the region. WarR1's TDS is kicking in again fiercely, I see.

trpmb6

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:39 pm

slider wrote:
Vietnam is a great country, a growing burgeoning market economy with freedom loving people who've (among those who came to the States) become damn fine assimilated Americans in many ways, by and large.

Given the transformational changes going on in in the Korean peninsula, it makes sense for a sitting POTUS to work on strengthening relations with the region. WarR1's TDS is kicking in again fiercely, I see.

Well said.

And yes, the multiple threads posted about trump yesterday exemplify the TDS. Seriously should just create a megathread.

N14AZ

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Aesma wrote:
I'm not sure what peace is in that case, not sure the participants know either.

I was in Hanoi recently, walked around that lake, slept in a hotel with a view on it, however I wasn't aware of the fact it's where McCain went down.

Kim is staying in the Melia Hotel. It's next to so-called "Hanoi Hilton", where Mc Cain spent several years. If you have a room facing to the west you can see "Hanoi Hilton" from your hotel room.

fallap

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:07 pm

You talk of draft dodgers as if they are bad people, surely it can't be that bad valuing your life higher than fighting a senseless war.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

dmg626

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:08 pm

[quote="ltbewr"]

Further, by a President meeting in Vietnam, he insults many Americans. Vietnam is a place that saw the murder of millions including over 50,000 USA soldiers (including a then 19 year old cousin of mine in 1967) and 1000's from other countries in almost 2 decades of war there. They have an Authoritative - Capitalist government that allows the exploitation of their citizens for terribly cheap and dangerous labor just because we allow them to buy Billions in Boeing Aircraft. The Vietnam Government has already curbed to near nothing the news media from covering this stupid meeting to support Un.

So 40 years after the war is not enough time? Should Americans still feel insulted by relations towards the Japanese then too?

Magog

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:16 pm

There was a time when liberals respected those who didn’t want to fight in a senseless war.

I agree that Vietnam is an excellent place for these meetings. The symbolism of our being at peace with Vietnam is very powerful.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:16 pm

Magog wrote:
I think that Trump is desperate for a legacy and sees peace in Korea as giving him that legacy. My gut tells me that he will make some headway, but will not achieve denuclearization. But we shall see. Any progress will be a good thing.

If you can come up with a few more quality posts like this one, I might be prepared to re-consider your claim to be moderately liberal. :lol:

Seriously, that is a good post. Happy to agree with what you said. :bigthumbsup:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

CitizenJustin

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm

casinterest wrote:

Still talking about Jane Fonda some 50 years later.........

CitizenJustin

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:42 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
Tramp Derangement Syndrome still going strong. Priceless!

Criticizing a Vietnam draft dodger, who’s meeting a tyrant in Vietnam where Americans bravely fought, and died. Has nothing to dowth TDS.

Magog

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:59 pm

He’s meeting the tyrant to attempt a peace accord and denuclearization. That’s a very good thing.

As for dodging the draft, how many of us would have too? I don’t hear WarRI1 talking about his Vietnam service. He’s the right age.

So is it wrong for Nathan Phillips to work toward peace? He lied about serving in Vietnam, after all.

Honestly, I don’t care what your past is if you are presently trying to bring about peace. I will support that even if I don’t support other aspects that pertain to you.

slider

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:06 pm

Magog wrote:

THIS. A hundred million freaking times.

Throughout Bush 43's presidency, the left howled at the warmongering and never ending wars that we got into. Obama continued pretty much at the same pace.

Now Trump--a guy whom everyone on the left and much of the right utterly loathes--is doing, and follow along with me here WarR1 and the rest of you lefties, **exactly what he said he'd do** and you're all losing your shit about it. It's hilarious.

The very real spectre of a then-increasingly belligerent and nuclear North Korea has been greatly simmered, Trump is planning on withdrawal from Afghanistan and Iraq and, gasp, putting an end to endless war, actually having dialogue with so-called "enemies" (something that I recall the right derided Obama for when he said he's at least talk with Iran, which is a good thing as well fundamentally, but now that Trump is, it's problematic), and he's fomenting PEACE not war, and you can't handle it.

Talk about hypocrisy.

slider

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:06 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Well, yeah, being a traitor to your country doesn't have a statute of limitations.

casinterest

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:10 pm

slider wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Well, yeah, being a traitor to your country doesn't have a statute of limitations.

Can't wait to see how Trump tries to spin today with Cohen's testimony.
Where ever you go, there you are.

zkojq

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:29 pm

slider wrote:
The very real spectre of a then-increasingly belligerent and nuclear North Korea has been greatly simmered, Trump is planning on withdrawal from Afghanistan and Iraq and, gasp, putting an end to endless war, actually having dialogue with so-called "enemies" (something that I recall the right derided Obama for when he said he's at least talk with Iran, which is a good thing as well fundamentally, but now that Trump is, it's problematic), and he's fomenting PEACE not war, and you can't handle it.

Talk about hypocrisy.

If you want hypocrisy, lets talk about how Trump's goal isn't disarmament, but to stop testing. The same Donald Trump who ripped up the Iran Agreement. Iran has never tested a nuclear weapon and to this day still abides by the Agreement which the USA backed out of.

"We have a special feeling…I think it's gonna lead to something good. But maybe not," Mr. Trump told a gathering of U.S. governors on Sunday night. The president said he was no longer pushing North Korea to quickly give up its nuclear weapons.

"I'm not in a rush. I don't want to rush anybody. I just don't want testing," Mr. Trump said. "As long as there's no testing, we're happy."

North Korea has not tested a missile or nuclear device for more than 400 days -- a self-imposed pause which began long before the June 2018 Singapore summit.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-tru ... pectations

casinterest wrote:
Can't wait to see how Trump tries to spin today with Cohen's testimony.

:rotfl: Well played sir.
First to fly the 787-9

seb146

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:11 pm

slider wrote:
Magog wrote:

THIS. A hundred million freaking times.

Throughout Bush 43's presidency, the left howled at the warmongering and never ending wars that we got into. Obama continued pretty much at the same pace.

Now Trump--a guy whom everyone on the left and much of the right utterly loathes--is doing, and follow along with me here WarR1 and the rest of you lefties, **exactly what he said he'd do** and you're all losing your shit about it. It's hilarious.

Talk about hypocrisy.

Talking nuclear armament with Kim while cancelling all nuclear treaties with Russia is hardly peace. Invading and occupying a sovereign nation based on lies is one thing but this makes the world so much more unstable. And you people still cheer like this is a good thing. It is not.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Magog

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:37 pm

Those are completely separate issues. Stay on track here. As said, in this limited instance, Trump is doing the right thing.

trpmb6

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:23 pm

seb146 wrote:

Talking nuclear armament with Kim while cancelling all nuclear treaties with Russia is hardly peace. Invading and occupying a sovereign nation based on lies is one thing but this makes the world so much more unstable. And you people still cheer like this is a good thing. It is not.

Those really are completely separate issues. While we have the treaty you are referring to with Russia we do not have one with China and other countries. So while China is able to go and produce such capability we are forced to sit idly by. That's not a good position to be in.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 am

Magog wrote:

You are entitled, no matter the reality of life and politics and power seeking. We shall see what we shall see.

Magog

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:52 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Magog wrote:

You are entitled, no matter the reality of life and politics and power seeking. We shall see what we shall see.

What years were you in Vietnam? Or are you just hypocritically alleging hypocrisy?
Last edited by Magog on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:53 am

Magog wrote:
There was a time when liberals respected those who didn’t want to fight in a senseless war.

I agree that Vietnam is an excellent place for these meetings. The symbolism of our being at peace with Vietnam is very powerful.

Your use of the term Liberals seems skewed from a self described Liberal? Is that what I read, you call your self Liberal to some degree? :sarcastic:

seb146

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:54 am

trpmb6 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Those really are completely separate issues. While we have the treaty you are referring to with Russia we do not have one with China and other countries. So while China is able to go and produce such capability we are forced to sit idly by. That's not a good position to be in.

The only trading partner of DPRK is China. They can get things like weapons from China and China can keep them in line Seems like our beef should be with China.

And, yes, if we are entering nuclear talks with DPRK, we also need to talk about ending nuclear agreements with Russia. Because the self-proclaimed smartest president ever has decided it is not worth it to negotiate with his BFF but, instead, negotiate with a second rate and easily controlled dictator.

Looks like individual number one is simply looking for a win for him and not a victory for us.

Magog

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:56 am

seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

The only trading partner of DPRK is China. They can get things like weapons from China and China can keep them in line Seems like our beef should be with China.

And, yes, if we are entering nuclear talks with DPRK, we also need to talk about ending nuclear agreements with Russia. Because the self-proclaimed smartest president ever has decided it is not worth it to negotiate with his BFF but, instead, negotiate with a second rate and easily controlled dictator.

Looks like individual number one is simply looking for a win for him and not a victory for us.

This is very tortured logic. Peace talks with the DPRK are a good thing. Full stop.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:59 am

Magog wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Magog wrote:

What years were you in country?[/quote

In country? I joined in 1955, after Korea and before Vietnam. My four older brothers served in WW2 and the Korean War Era. 1 Army, 1 Marines, 1 Air Force, 1 Army, and myself Air force.

seb146

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:02 am

Magog wrote:
seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

This is very tortured logic. Peace talks with the DPRK are a good thing. Full stop.

And, ultimately, useless. Full stop.

Magog

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 am

WarRI1 wrote:

In country? I joined in 1955, after Korea and before Vietnam. My four older brothers served in WW2 and the Korean War Era. 1 Army, 1 Marines, 1 Air Force, 1 Army, and myself Air force.

You definitely threaded the needle! Thank you for your service.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:06 am

Magog wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

You definitely threaded the needle! Thank you for your service.

Nothing extraordinary at that time, a time of the draft and service was expected from most, but you are welcome.

seb146

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:11 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Magog wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

There were some men who enlisted from a sense of duty and some who enlisted because they did not want to see combat in Vietnam. My father was both. His brothers saw combat during WWII, so he had a sense of duty and pride in joining the Army. He also did not want to see combat in Vietnam. So, he enlisted and was stationed in Germany for the duration of his time. He was discharged from service in Turkey after deciding not to reenlist. Military service is not for everyone. Some people at least have the heart and nerve to enlist and serve. Unlike a certain golfing enthusiast we all know.....

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:18 am

seb146 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Magog wrote:

There were some men who enlisted from a sense of duty and some who enlisted because they did not want to see combat in Vietnam. My father was both. His brothers saw combat during WWII, so he had a sense of duty and pride in joining the Army. He also did not want to see combat in Vietnam. So, he enlisted and was stationed in Germany for the duration of his time. He was discharged from service in Turkey after deciding not to reenlist. Military service is not for everyone. Some people at least have the heart and nerve to enlist and serve. Unlike a certain golfing enthusiast we all know.....

By the millions, but not by this phony, shin splints my ass, no record of them has been seen as far as I know. I loved the testimony of the threats about his school records. Do we not all remember who the Chief birther was????

seb146

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:33 am

WarRI1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

By the millions, but not by this phony, shin splints my ass, no record of them has been seen as far as I know. I loved the testimony of the threats about his school records. Do we not all remember who the Chief birther was????

Not to defend him, but bone spurs, not shin splints. I got shin splints once and then spent four days at Disneyland. And ran Bay To Breakers three times and rugged hiking. And I would do it again.

That is not even close to the same thing as defending this country. I apologize and thank you for serving.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:33 am

seb146 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Not to defend him, but bone spurs, not shin splints. I got shin splints once and then spent four days at Disneyland. And ran Bay To Breakers three times and rugged hiking. And I would do it again.

That is not even close to the same thing as defending this country. I apologize and thank you for serving.

No problem, it is amazing how you can make such an obvious mistake and miss it in the reread. I must have read about rrumps bone spurs about 100 times, the fingers went where the brain did not. I would rather be corrected than publish fake news. Thanks. :bouncy: ;) You are welcome also.

BN747

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:16 am

How much would you wager that our Traitorous Leader will NOT give Little Kim the same kind one-on-one love than he's extended to Putin...

..I mean, he's the one who said they were in love and have exchanged many lovely letters,

So will he get a private no-witnesses meeting with Lil' Kim given Pooty got 5 or 6 such private moments.

The Traitor with Lil' Kim alone in a room.

It's a forgone conclusion that our Traitorous Leader speaks zero Korean.

How good is Lil' Kim's english?

So that leaves the Traitor sitting with Lil' Kim and at a minimum with a NK interpreter.

But most likely since Pooty & the Traitor has so much affection, he doesn't need a translator when Pooty's around although he's unskilled in speaking russian.
Hmmmm...makes you wonder..

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

tommy1808

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:39 am

Magog wrote:
He’s meeting the tyrant to attempt a peace accord and denuclearization.

Nonsense. He is doing it in hopes to score some good headlines and distract the American public from.being an habitual criminal.

Just the like the last time, and *every* other diplomatic exchange/meeting he ever had, he will just make "success" up in order to impress his base.

The North Koreans are getting all the benefits, the south Koreans, the ones in the driving seat of relaxation between the two countries, get none.

Backing off is his only move after all.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......