caliboy93
Topic Author

Coolest college experiences

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:50 pm

So what are some of the coolest things you did in college, or coolest experiences you had?

trpmb6

Re: Coolest college experiences

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 pm

Somewhat ironically, my response is linked to one of your other posts. The scar I referred to in your other post about "something interesting about yourself" was received from an RC aircraft propeller my design team was building in college. I was the chief engineer of the team (and ironically safety officer) at the time of my injury. Still, we went on later that year to be the best team in the US, only losing to Brazil's and Poland's teams. (As those teams were the best of their countries when sent to our competition I consider that to be a loss worth celebrating).

Also, I met my best friend and my wife in college.

Partying in college is mostly forgettable. Maybe a few moments worth remembering. It's the organizations you get involved in that make the biggest impression upon your life.
Last edited by trpmb6 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flipdewaf

Coolest college experiences

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:04 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
So what are some of the coolest things you did in college, or coolest experiences you had?

I went to the university of Bath and Bath is a lovely historic city full of fantastic architecture. For this reason it is often used to film period dramas as they can set the whole scene in a suitable location.

Being students it is almost a requirement to steal things when drunk that aren’t tied down, cones, road signs etc.

During one period there was a large period of filming going on on Bath st. One Tuesday night/Wednesday morning myself and my housemate were walking home whilst being very intoxicated and decided that there would be some fun stuff at the film set. So we crept as quietly as two drunk students can behind the fencing that had been erected around the set. There were several locked vehicles and containers as well as some things that were too big to steal (full blown carriage) however there was some old boots Next to a pile of blankets. So we moved in to make our ‘acquisition’. I grabbed one of the boots and it didn’t move, my housemate did the same and again, it didn’t move but this time it made a noise. I pulled once more and the then it happened... the boots were attached to a tramp(hobo) who had decided that the film set was a quiet place to sleep.

Whilst drunk, this was the single scariest thing that has happened to me. In hind sight it was hilarious but at the time he was definitely going to kill us!

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fr8mech

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:10 am

I went to a technical college for my associate's degree. The coolest thing I did was go on a test hop of an Eastern A300 when one of our instructors took a few guys out on a tour of the EAL facility on JFK. The 80's were a much simpler time in aviation.

I got my bachelor's and graduate degree as an adult, so between work and family there were a whole lot of of mundane yet cool things that happened. Too many to list, since my college career spanned almost 2 decades.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

seb146

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:16 am

I have taken classes at two different community colleges in two different states. The same thing happened at both. We all helped each other out as much as we could. Group study, calling, texting, finding others who can explain things different..... it was always such a positive experience. I met some great people and found out how others learn.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

cjg225

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:04 pm

I was at Penn State for 8 years (4 years of undergrad immediately followed by 4 years of grad school). For those who aren't from the US, Penn State has a good American football program and has one of the largest stadiums in the country (capacity of 107,000). Football is a big deal there.

A typical season has 7 home games. So, over 8 years I attended 55 home games (I had to miss 1 my very first year).

For 53 of those 55 games, I camped out for my tickets. For students, you're merely given a voucher that allows you into the stadium. Seat assignments are given out first-come, first-serve on game day. For years, students have camped out days in advance of games to ensure that they get the best seats. I was an officer in the student organization that manages the camp outs for 7 of those 8 years. It was by far the most important part of my college education outside the classroom. Got to meet a lot of people, learn how to manage people (imagine trying to herd 1000 college students through stadium gates in a very precise order), and, of course, sit front row for a lot of great games.

My freshman year was easily my favorite, not just because it was the best season during my 8 years, but because we didn't really have much organization then. It was a lot more organic and spontaneous then. After that first year, we had to organize or risk getting shut down by the university administration.

That first year, we had a couple games where over a thousand students camped out at the stadium for tickets. The players visited us, the marching band came by, the coaches came by, there were TV cameras and reporters there for days... It was such a great, fun experience. Oh, and we got a ton of free food donated by local restaurants and alumni. Plus, we were able to get away with so much stuff that year that ended up being prohibited in future years. haha Some of my favorite college memories were made for those two camp outs.

I wouldn't trade these experiences for anything.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Aesma

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:46 pm

I joined the skydiving club.

Also, some parties. In France it is customary to have a party or a seminar at the start of a year. My first one was a party at the Elysée Montmartre, with free flowing alcohol, DJ's, and go-go dancers on podiums, who didn't get the memo to keep some minimal clothes on...

The year after that was a seminar with activities such as paint ball, various games on the beach, even more free flowing alcohol. We had chaperones that were pretty ineffective. Also, the beach was a nude beach !

Since then it has become illegal for alcohol to be free at such parties.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

casinterest

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Football National Championship celebration on University Avenue after the Gators beat the Seminoles.
Helping some kids make life changing decisions as an RA.
Walking in and being damn impressed on the 2nd day of a wall to wall beer can mural in some freshman rooms. must have been 40 cases of beer involved.
Disney world season passes for 130 bucks.
Where ever you go, there you are.

trpmb6

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
I have taken classes at two different community colleges in two different states. The same thing happened at both. We all helped each other out as much as we could. Group study, calling, texting, finding others who can explain things different..... it was always such a positive experience. I met some great people and found out how others learn.

I wish I had learned the value of group studying earlier in college. It wasn't really til late sophomore and junior year that it really took hold for me and it made college a much more positive experience - in all aspects. Freshman year I was always holed up in my dorm room to get studying in. never working with other students. I really missed out that year. I socialized of course, but I always felt like there was this social connection missing that year. After freshman year I moved off campus and was really forced to study on campus inbetween classes and treat going to college as more of a "job" than a lifestyle. It had a profound impact on my studies. Grades all improved, my social life improved, I got more involved on campus (you have to find something to do in between classes when you don't want to drive to your off campus house and then back an hour later).

Administrators want you to believe that living on campus is the best option for the student. It's a fallacy. They only want you on campus because they make money off you when you do so. Perhaps as a freshman it helps you make friends - but you'll quickly find that many of them don't have the same interests as you. You'll make more friends within your same degree programs whom have similar interests as you. Plus they make great study partners/groups.

Moving off campus was one of the more profound decisions I made while in college. And it led to many other positive impacts.

sturmovik

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Hmm, good question.

In undergrad, I was involved in making the college's first ever wildcat strike happen. And I stole the big ass clock in the dining hall after getting hammered at the graduation party. Gifted it to a girl about five minutes after I stole it, and never saw it again. I regret that to this day (giving it away, that is).

In grad school, I TA'd a course that teaches students about the systems and automation on the Boeing 767 as a prelude to understanding automation in aerospace in general. Delta lets us borrow one of their 767s for an afternoon on the penultimate day of the course so we can demonstrate the concepts to the students on an actual aircraft (in the hangar, we don't fly). I still go back to TA that course every year, years after graduation.
'What's it doing now?'

mbmbos

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:59 pm

On a lark during my freshman year, I auditioned for a college production of a children's play. I got cast as Aladdin, primarily because I looked young - far younger than most college kids. Once the play kicked off, all the local grade schools bussed their kids to the university to watch the production. For years afterward, I was a local celebrity - to the 8-year old crowd at least. Even in my late twenties, teenagers and adults would walk up to me and yell "Aladdin!" So I was surprised to have a few moments of fame.

Now that I'm old and grumpy, no one recognizes me anymore. All the better.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

trpmb6

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Sturmovik's post reminded me of one of the CAD classes I TA'd.

Simple intro to CAD type class for freshman. I had experience with CAD since high school and throughout college so it was second nature teaching it at this point.

First day of class I would always tell the class (I TA'd 3 separate hands on CAD classes with ~40 students per for a total 120 kids per semester) that "there is only one thing you need to know about this class. It's a computer based class, and so, if you cheat I will know." I then proceeded to show them EXACTLY how I would know. That the CAD program we were using stored the history of each part down to every operation done on it, and by which user had done it.

Still, freshman are naive. There was always 2-5 students who didn't heed my warnings in each class. And it almost always happened week 1 on one of the easiest parts to design. If you were going to cheat and share your part with that cute guy in the corner who is only using you because he was out drinking last night at least wait til its the harder parts near the end of the semester. It wasn't even that hard to check. So yeah, I was that jerk TA.

KentB27

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:19 am

I was the president of the Interfraternity Council at Kansas State University for a year. I made a lot of great friends because of it, I got to go on a couple of fun team-building trips because of it, and I gained valuable leadership experience that looks great on a resume. Participating in Greek life in college is the best decision I've ever made. I am incredibly shy when left to my own devices and joining a fraternity forced me to branch out, socialize, and do activities that I would have never done on my own.

ojjunior

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:34 pm

While in college a girl had a crush on me.
I hadn't on her.
Nothing ever happened.
We finished the college.
Lost contact.
Years later a group of students reunited thru Orkut.
I found her.
She told me she went to therapy due my indifference to her feelings.
We laughed about.
Drank a lot.
Exchanged phone numbers.
Ended up in bed few days later.
Not a bad remembrance.
Now I sit and share it to strangers.
(Marriage)

Airstud

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:11 am

seb146 wrote:

Which, is what I said basically.
Pancakes are delicious.

anrec80

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:14 am

Going to a small university in the middle of nowhere. With as little as 3 students in some classes.

B777LRF

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:16 am

Every year, the senior classes are sent on a 'studying' trip abroad. Our class chose Austria .... in January!

3 teachers from a seminar in Munich were there, supposedly to teach us some German. However, since we were up until 5 in the morning partying, then sleeping for a few hours before hitting the slopes (rinse, repeat), the sum total of zero students turned up for their lectures.

I got laid on the train down with one girl, was with another the first 2 days and a third for the last 5. That was very far from setting a record; don't think anybody had less than two 'partners' that week. In short, a week of heavy drinking, partying, skiing and shagging. When you're 20 years of age, that passes as nirvana.

We had to produce a report on our accomplishments to the school upon our return. Luckily the teachers accompanying us had also kept them selfs busy drinking, partying and skiing, so were fully in on being a bit liberal with the truth. When the report was published, literally nobody who took part in the trip could recognise much of anything it contained. But it ticked all the right boxes and we got away with it.
Signature. You just read one.

Pellegrine

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:05 pm

One of the great stories I told my parents later was how I told them I was going to New York City when I was 20 (I'm from Washington DC)...my sister was in college in NYC...but I actually flew to Tokyo, Japan. I celebrated my 21st birthday at the 'New York Bar' at the Park Hyatt Shinjuku where I was staying. It wasn't really a college experience, but it was fab...
oh boy, here we go!!!

einsteinboricua

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:57 am

I'm trying to remember stuff from college, but among the top ones has to be meeting astronauts Joseph Acaba and Steve Swanson (STS-119) at the State Department in Puerto Rico, working with local politicians in preparation for the 2012 general elections, getting my head trimmed very closely for the first time ever (would consider doing it again), and the many opportunities I had to travel to present research, interview for fellowships, meet professionals (meteorology mostly), and visit a couple of campuses as part of their initiative to have more people.

Intimately though, it was during my college years that I got the courage to send DocLightning a PM coming out to him and asking him questions about being gay. It was also the start of a great friendship that has lasted since. Along the same lines, it was during my college years that I finally began meeting guys, though as never able to have anything serious, and I left shortly after this.

mbmbos wrote:
On a lark during my freshman year, I auditioned for a college production of a children's play. I got cast as Aladdin, primarily because I looked young - far younger than most college kids. Once the play kicked off, all the local grade schools bussed their kids to the university to watch the production. For years afterward, I was a local celebrity - to the 8-year old crowd at least. Even in my late twenties, teenagers and adults would walk up to me and yell "Aladdin!" So I was surprised to have a few moments of fame.

Now that I'm old and grumpy, no one recognizes me anymore. All the better.
In grade school, I used to do TV commercials. One particular brand scarred me for the rest of elementary school and part of high school because I, along with 3 other kids, spoke the product tagline. At least in high school, I was surrounded by level headed peers (the perks of AP groups) so even though some of them knew, they never resorted to mock me. In college, I made sure to never mention this to anyone at all. Thankfully, even though the product still exists, it's no longer advertised and the commercial I'm in is not on YouTube or anywhere else (though the version before mine is).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

af773atmsp

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:41 am

For me it was studying abroad in Oslo in 2015. The first week was a bit rough because of homesickness, depression that had hit pretty hard that summer, and dealing with a bunch of paperwork so I could actually stay in Norway for the amount of time I did. After that first week however it was pretty amazing and I love Oslo so much I consider it a second home (I went back last year and stayed just over a month). I met some interesting people, and I'm thankful for the ones who still keep in touch with me from time to time. It also really opened my eyes to how much better they are at public transit and being bike and pedestrian friendly, something most if not all American cities are currently playing catch up.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Dano1977

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Coolest college/university experience...

Jesus may have turned water into wine, but I turned my student loan into Vodka... Your move Jesus!

Apart from that, no unusual shenanigans.

Although we did have 3 bomb threats in a 2 week period (this was at the time the IRA was active in the UK)
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.