wexfordflyer
Topic Author

Air India requires crew to "Hail the Motherland" after in flight announcements!

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:24 pm

India's national airline has told its crew to end every in-flight announcement with the patriotic phrase, "Jai Hind" (Hail the motherland)

Air India's company advisory instructs crew to say the phrase after a "slight pause and with much fervour".

I must admit to not knowing a huge amount about the Indian culture, but it wouldn't have previously struck me as one that would have had this much patriotism. Could anyone with a bit more knowledge and experience than me add any thoughts?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47451761
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

sibibom

Re: Air India requires crew to "Hail the Motherland" after in flight announcements!

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Dear leader is nationalistic, elections are in next 2-3 months(its a 5-week dance of democracy), hence the "new rule". Air India used to say it even before the rule.
Last edited by sibibom on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unrave

Re: Air India requires crew to "Hail the Motherland" after in flight announcements!

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:33 pm

BBC making a mountain out of a molehill as usual. In northern and western Indian it is common to end any official communication with 'Jay Hind'. Many pilots already do this when then end their announcements from the flight deck.
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

vadodara

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:50 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
India's national airline has told its crew to end every in-flight announcement with the patriotic phrase, "Jai Hind" (Hail the motherland)

Air India's company advisory instructs crew to say the phrase after a "slight pause and with much fervour".

I must admit to not knowing a huge amount about the Indian culture, but it wouldn't have previously struck me as one that would have had this much patriotism. Could anyone with a bit more knowledge and experience than me add any thoughts?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47451761

They should instead be required to sing 'God Save the Queen'. Some people would have found that to be 'classy'.

Virtual737

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:00 pm

unrave wrote:
BBC making a mountain out of a molehill as usual.

How did they do that? They reported a piece of (albeit trivial) news without bias or prejudice and quoted some comments from social media.

unrave

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:09 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

How did they do that? They reported a piece of (albeit trivial) news without bias or prejudice and quoted some comments from social media.

We're getting into non aviation territory here.
BBC's coverage of Indian politics often amounts to "look how the natives have ruined the land that our glorious empire left behind." In this particular case, the fact that they have included social media comments shows that they want t push one side of the story.

unrave

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm

sibibom wrote:
Dear leader is nationalistic, elections are in next 2-3 months(its a 5-week dance of democracy), hence the "new rule". Air India used to say it even before the rule.

It was a directive from Ashwani Lohani. He pulled the same stunt during his previous stint as CMD as well. ATC and pilots in India almost always end a series of exhanges with Jai Hind

anshabhi

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Much appreciated move from AI :bigthumbsup: I hope private carriers follow soon too
Last edited by anshabhi on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaliguyNYC

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:17 pm

unrave wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

We're getting into non aviation territory here.
BBC's coverage of Indian politics often amounts to "look how the natives have ruined the land that our glorious empire left behind." In this particular case, the fact that they have included social media comments shows that they want t push one side of the story.

Totally agree. Also the English translation used makes the phrase seem much more out of place. As you mentioned earlier, Jai Hind is often heard in North and West India. Not a big deal. As Americans, we play the national anthem before every sporting event which many countries do not do. Saying Jai Hind is a very light form of patriotism in India. Also most of the Indian pilots are ex Indian military.

anshabhi

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:19 pm

AirAsia India has started priority boarding for military personnel. All airlines should implement that too

Revelation

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:32 pm

sibibom wrote:

Conveniently falls right after an air raid into Pakistan...

unrave wrote:
BBC's coverage of Indian politics often amounts to "look how the natives have ruined the land that our glorious empire left behind."

That must go over well.

anshabhi wrote:
AirAsia India has started priority boarding for military personnel. All airlines should implement that too

They might be in a hurry to get to their MiG-21s to help make India great again.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

unrave

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:39 pm

Revelation wrote:
They might be in a hurry to get to their MiG-21s to help make India great again.

They actually need to go their posts to help defend the country from the nerve centre of Islamic terrorism.

PM

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:44 pm

unrave wrote:
BBC's coverage of Indian politics often amounts to "look how the natives have ruined the land that our glorious empire left behind."
What utter (and infantile) nonsense.

PM

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:46 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:

I lived in India for two years. Patriotism is not the word you are looking for. Nationalism is. It is deliberately stoked (quite cynically) by the ruling party.

PM

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:47 pm

anshabhi wrote:

Why? :confused:

dtw2hyd

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:50 pm

So, the BBC wrote an article based on tweets on social media. Is this the latest low-cost no-effort journalism of mainstream media?

unrave

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:51 pm

PM wrote:
unrave wrote:
What utter (and infantile) nonsense.

It makes perfect sense. Who is the audience of BBC? The British (mostly). What coverage of the former colony would appeal to them? A validation that theirs was a noble empire that brought civilisation to the dank lands. How can the BBC do that? By showing how bad things are.

ME720

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:56 pm

anshabhi wrote:

How silly! They are not getting any faster to the battle field now are they?

musman9853

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:59 pm

how many patriotic slogans make up for a mig21?
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

maps4ltd

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:00 pm

ME720 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

The US has been doing that for quite some time. There is often a round of applause in the gate area/onboard, and they are usually thanked for their service. I see nothing wrong with it.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

N867DA

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:01 pm

Slow news day. This isn't much different than the national anthem before a sports games in the US.

It's not necessarily anti-India, but BBC enjoys making some situations look worse than they are, and I take their reporting with a grain of salt. They report the best facts they have access to, but rarely provide information in appropriate context.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

unrave

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:04 pm

musman9853 wrote:

Far less than what it would to make up for a F-16

unrave

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:06 pm

ME720 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

It must also be silly for airlines to offer priority boarding for their premium class passengers. They are not getting any faster to their destinations now are they?

FermiParadox

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:08 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
ME720 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

The US has been doing that for quite some time. There is often a round of applause in the gate area/onboard, and they are usually thanked for their service. I see nothing wrong with it.

There's no round of applause unless someone makes a PA. And it's absolute nonsense. Military should board with regular passengers. Ask any military folks, most of them feel uneasy about it too. It's just a stupid pendulum swing by the Boomer crowd after they all went hard on the returning Vietnam vets and spat in their faces.

dtw2hyd

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:14 pm

N867DA wrote:
They report the best facts they have access to, but rarely provide information in appropriate context.

Their source is Indians trolling their own government/airline on Twitter. No facts were used to publish this article.

If it is a slow news day, BBC should publish where are the best exit parties planned for 29th, so Indians/Indian origins and other colonial member citizens see them off from the EU side. Not many present-day Indians watched them leave their country. It will be a historic event and no available information.
Last edited by dtw2hyd on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldannyboy

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:15 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
ME720 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

I see a lot of wrong with it.... What service? It's happened to me while in the US and found it CRINGING. For all we knew these people may have been administrative folks going to just another office shifting papers.... They are just professionals working the career they opted for.
I think that's just the US being obsessed with their utterly ridiculous equation Military=Hero. Utter nonsense. It would be good to go back and see when was the last time the US Army actually protected the homeland from the foreign evil invaders...... Last time I checked they were busy "exporting democracy" and making sure to get priority access to oil fields?

For some reason Americans have a fetish for uniforms and it seems they really desperately need heroes and wars... but I digress....

anshabhi

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:19 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
ME720 wrote:

There's no round of applause unless someone makes a PA. And it's absolute nonsense. Military should board with regular passengers. Ask any military folks, most of them feel uneasy about it too. It's just a stupid pendulum swing by the Boomer crowd after they all went hard on the returning Vietnam vets and spat in their faces.

They deserve every moment of it. They are the ones who are Risking their lives for my safety. They deserve everything.
I believe airlines should also offer atleast 3 free tickets each year to serving military personnel, apart from the 50% discount already offered.

Don't compare Indian security situation with other countries. We face many internal issues complicated by external interference. Sadly our soldiers (Jawans) get martyred quite frequently.

In most recent militant attack 2 days before, we lost 5 jawans

FermiParadox

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:25 pm

anshabhi wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

They deserve every moment of it. They are the ones who are Risking their lives for my safety. They deserve everything.
I believe airlines should also offer atleast 3 free tickets each year to serving military personnel, apart from the 50% discount already offered.

Don't compare Indian security situation with other countries. We face many internal issues complicated by external interference. Sadly our soldiers (Jawans) get martyred quite frequently.

This is venturing into Non-aviation territory. Your country is not simply on the defensive all the time. Your media's propaganda machine is firing on all cylinders right now about Kashmir. Try to find some objective sources. And I say this as a non-Indian and non-Pakistani. Nobody's hands are clean in this mess.

unrave

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:29 pm

FermiParadox wrote:

This is venturing into Non-aviation territory. Your country is not simply on the defensive all the time. Your media's propaganda machine is firing on all cylinders right now about Kashmir. Try to find some objective sources. And I say this as a non-Indian and non-Pakistani. Nobody's hands are clean in this mess.

"Objective" sources like the BBC? Or should we hear what happens in our country from Al Jazeera?

Virtual737

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:33 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Not many present-day Indians watched them leave their country

Exactly, and by the same token only a small percentage of present day Brits are all that aware of the extent of the old Empire - even less care about it... but some here would like to write that any journalistic mention of an old colony must be a romantic memoir of our once immense power. I don't hold too many journalists in that high regard but if I had to pick a decent source for balance in news then the BBC would be right up there.

Getting back on topic, if the Indians want to Hail the Motherland then all power to them. I live in a country where things are far more patriotic and in your face than a couple of words at the end of a PA announcement.

Etihad (and many other airlines) broadcast an Arabic travel poem (or whatever the right phrase for it is) before every flight. Cebu Pacific often did a song and dance (literally) for a safety briefing. United FAs give a pre-door closing scowl and Ryan Air crew would say whatever the heck I wanted to for a couple of Euros. It would be boring if all airlines were the same.

Is it news worthy? Not particularly.
Is it it fake news? Probably not unless you asked the Donald.
Will we A.Netters discuss the hell out of if and still have differing opinions? I hope so, that's what being human is all about.

sturmovik

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:33 pm

unrave wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

Far less than what it would to make up for a F-16

Yeah, but an F-16 wasn't shot down, so..

I've flown in India, and pilots and ATC often end transmissions with 'jai hind'. When we used to close the tower at our little airfield at the end of daily ops, a jai hind was pretty much the norm. However, I am against making it mandatory - that's where patriotism crosses over into nationalism.
'What's it doing now?'

unrave

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:38 pm

sturmovik wrote:
[
Yeah, but an F-16 wasn't shot down

We have sufficient reason to believe it was

sturmovik

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:41 pm

anshabhi wrote:

If jawans get martyred quite frequently, perhaps you should ask why that is happening, instead of mandating airline freebies for them. I'm pretty sure they'd prefer being alive over a few free flights any day. Otherwise everything you say is military fetishization and frankly pointless.
'What's it doing now?'

dtw2hyd

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:43 pm

sturmovik wrote:

Easy to prove, the named pilot can have a press meet to clear things up. Why feed the trolls for so many days.

sturmovik

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:51 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
sturmovik wrote:

Easy to prove, the named pilot can have a press meet to clear things up. Why feed the trolls for so many days.

Yeah but I would think the burden of proof here is on those making the shoot down claim. They produced our pilot and wreckage, we've produced nothing but hot air.

Back on topic - Air India is a govt entity, so even if this is a bit problematic, there's not that much of an issue. It would become more of an issue if an industry wide mandate was issued. And it would become about as annoying as the time when people were being forced to stand up for the national anthem in movie halls. Patriotism is like having a penis - it's fine to have one, and even be proud of it, but don't force it on others.
'What's it doing now?'

wexfordflyer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Thanks to those who shared enlightening responses. Much appreciated. Seems like not that big a deal, something that happens alot already, and translation exaggerates.

This is straying off topic and into the political arena now. Mods feel free to close off if needs be!
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

anshabhi

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:48 pm

sturmovik wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

If jawans get martyred quite frequently, perhaps you should ask why that is happening, instead of mandating airline freebies for them. I'm pretty sure they'd prefer being alive over a few free flights any day. Otherwise everything you say is military fetishization and frankly pointless.

This is the kind of enemy we face. Just imagine if kids are like this, what adults would be like:

https://twitter.com/TarekFatah/status/1 ... 88480?s=19

Yeah. More comforts might not save Jawans, but it would make them feel better atleast for a moment

c933103

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Somehow sound like war time or pre-war time of some countries in history...
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 am

The OP wrote:

unrave wrote:
Who is the audience of BBC? The British (mostly). A validation that theirs was a noble empire that brought civilisation to the dank lands. How can the BBC do that? By showing how bad things are.

Excuse me?
Have you just admitted that a BBC article reporting an instruction that crew must end every in-flight announcement with the patriotic phrase, "Jai Hind" is showing how bad things are?
:rotfl:

As for "what coverage of the former colony would appeal to them (the British)?"; mostly the British don't give a damn what is happening in India. Mostly the British have no idea that it was a former colony. You flatter yourself that news from India is of any interest to the man on the Clapham omnibus. :shakehead:

To be fair, there are people in Britain who are extremely interested in news from your country, but only because it was their country too, once upon a time.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

unrave

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:44 am

c933103 wrote:
Somehow sound like war time or pre-war time of some countries in history...

On the contrary, "Jai Hind" was coined to oppose a plundering, rapacious and blood thirsty empire.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Excuse me?
Have you just admitted that a BBC article reporting an instruction that crew must end every in-flight announcement with the patriotic phrase, "Jai Hind" is showing how bad things are?

Knowing BBC's history of its coverage of Dear Old Blighty's former colonies, that is exactly what BBC does.

mostly the British don't give a damn what is happening in India.

Please show me the results of a scientific survey that comes to this conclusion, thank you.

Mostly the British have no idea that it was a former colony.

A highly sanitised history of The Empire is part of the British school curriculum.

You flatter yourself that news from India is of any interest to the man on the Clapham omnibus. :shakehead:

Vide above

To be fair, there are people in Britain who are extremely interested in news from your country, but only because it was their country too, once upon a time.

but only because it was their country too, once upon a time they seek validation for their belief that their empire was the greatest thing to have happened for the human civilisation

dtw2hyd

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:01 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
the British don't give a damn what is happening in India.

Yes, they are busy doing only three things.

Step 1. Defeat May's BREXIT deal with a huge majority
Step 2. Table a motion of no-confidence on May
Step 3. Vote on May's no-confidence motion, narrowly defeating it
Go to Step 1.

No one else cares about this. BBC should figure out to break this cycle.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:56 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
unrave wrote:
Knowing BBC's history of its coverage of Dear Old Blighty's former colonies, that is exactly what BBC does.
I do apologise; I thought you would see the blatant irony in that statement, and instead you rushed to agree with it. :banghead:

mostly the British don't give a damn what is happening in India.
unrave wrote:
Please show me the results of a scientific survey that comes to this conclusion, thank you.

A "scientific survey"? That will be a first for a.net :lol:

Mostly the British have no idea that it was a former colony.
unrave wrote:
A highly sanitised history of The Empire is part of the British school curriculum.

A very VERY small part of the curriculum, and optional - as in one school in ten might feature it as part of their syllabus.
https://www.quora.com/What-do-British-s ... rn-Ireland
"So by the age of 11, most children will know very little about India."
"At Key Stage Three - {ages} 11 to 14, children are taught history from the medieval period up to the recent past."
"...in the context of a large range of other areas of study, such as the American War of Independence, the slave trade, the industrial revolution, the English Civil War, the French Revolution, the first and second World Wars, the Reformation and establishment of the Church of England and so on.... it is unlikely that most children would get much more than one or perhaps two lessons a year that specifically cover India at this age."
"Most people have probably heard of Gandhi and consider him to be the leader of the {Indian independence} movement, and most people are also probably entirely baffled as to why any Indian might want to kill him. And some people, probably not as many, will know about the partition of India and Pakistan. But that's pretty much the extent of it. Most students have never heard of General Dyer, or Jallianwala Bagh, and many would hear the name Nehru and think of a Roman Emperor, and most will probably think that Indira Gandhi was the Mahatma's daughter."
Footnote; most people know of Gandhi thanks to the film, and not due to any half-baked efforts at school. Of them, a good 80% are probably a little embarrassed that an Englishman (Ben Kingsley) got to play the lead role, when it probably should have been an Indian. :duck:
And that is how little people know when it really comes down to it.

You flatter yourself that news from India is of any interest to the man on the Clapham omnibus. :shakehead:

unrave wrote:
Vide above.
Et tu Brute!

Again, your dogma regarding the ills of the British Empire meant you bypassed the obvious; the people I refer to still proudly bear the surnames Singh, Khan, Patel or even Bhanji, so I am reluctant to agree with your assertion that "empire was the greatest thing to have happened for the human civilisation". However, these new Britons do watch (& sometimes trust) the BBC to provide news about India, even if they did abandon their beloved homeland to go and live in the corrupt and rain-soaked British Isles.

Meanwhile, I look forward to you keeping up your attack on the British Empire as if it is still 1947.
The rest of us have moved on.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

unrave

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:40 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
A very VERY small part of the curriculum, and optional - as in one school in ten might feature it as part of their syllabus.
https://www.quora.com/What-do-British-s ... rn-Ireland

Here's the national curriculum in England's history programme guidance that contains several references to the empire.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-of-study

Meanwhile, I look forward to you keeping up your attack on the British Empire as if it is still 1947.
The rest of us have moved on.

The colonists have indeed moved on and their descendants now enjoy the wealth gained from a couple of centuries of plunder while patting themselves on the back about bringing enlightenment to the world. Meanwhile a few billion people suffer from the direct effects of a ruinous, genocidal, rapacious empire.

aeromoe

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:53 am

FermiParadox wrote:

This is venturing into Non-aviation territory.

This is the Non-Aviation forum after all, so what is the problem?
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

bennett123

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:22 am

Not sure what the last few posts have to do with the topic.

Since people have raised the point, I doubt that many people in the UK spend time thinking about British India.

Frankly, the idea of a BA Captain finishing an announcement with ‘God save the Queen’ sounds distinctly wierd.

ltbewr

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:04 am

This recommended policy of Air India to me is a very poor one but sadly one that comes out during wars. They should avoid such comments and stay a neutral as possible for the safety of their country and airline. Let us not forget that in the 1980's due to ethic-religious strife, AI was a terrorism target, losing 1 plane and almost 1 other lost from bombs placed on board flights. The last thing AI should be doing is taking a heavy siding with the government in power.

sonicruiser

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:31 pm

I didn't actually get what the big deal about all of this was until was until I realized it was for EVERY announcement. That seems a bit extreme.

dtw2hyd

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:09 pm

ltbewr wrote:
AI was a terrorism target, losing 1 plane and almost 1 other lost from bombs placed on board flights.

Not according to 'reputable' aviation safety websites. With the intent to make AI the worst airline in the world, they just couldn't let 329 fatality count go waste. So they made up a weird rule just for AI, "because the perp was not on board" it is not terror related and counted as AI fault. For 30 years 329 fatalities helped AI remain one of the worst airlines in safety.

While your understanding is correct, the example I gave shows the great lengths these so-called 'reputable' entities go to mislead. Just like this one.

BTT, there is no way every cabin crew will follow this rule for every announcement. AFAIK, there is no recording of the cabin. Wait for the next news, some nationalist complaining that the crew didn't say "Jai Hind" on his flight. The saga continues.

FermiParadox

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:23 pm

aeromoe wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:

This is venturing into Non-aviation territory.

This is the Non-Aviation forum after all, so what is the problem?

When I posted my response it was in Civil Aviation....

Airstud

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:12 am

oldannyboy wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
ME720 wrote:

I see a lot of wrong with it.... What service?

Military service.

(See.)
Pancakes are delicious.