TWA772LR
Topic Author

Did you give anything up for Lent?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:28 am

I gave up sweets, soda and Facebook.

I put that on my Facebook but spelt 'Lent' as 'Lint' and didn't realize it until later. Someone called me out on it and I told them I gave up spelling also lol. Oh well, too late to change it now!

So, if there are any fellow Catholics or anyone who cares to observe, what did you give up for Lent?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Airstud

Re: Did you give anything up for Lent?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 am

I always wonder if anyone's ever given up lentil soup for Lent, till soup (...gets served, and then they break.)
Pancakes are delicious.

NIKV69

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:05 am

No meat today and Fridays till Lent is over.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

Aesma

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:18 am

Isn't "no meat Friday" supposed to be year round ? In France it used to be that way in schools, even though most aren't Catholic schools.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

NIKV69

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:44 am

Aesma wrote:
Isn't "no meat Friday" supposed to be year round ? In France it used to be that way in schools, even though most aren't Catholic schools.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religi ... days..html

I am a bad catholic

fr8mech

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:07 am

In solidarity with my wife and children, who are Catholic (I am not), I have chosen to abstain from coffee not made at home. Yes, no Starbucks coffee or Dunkin' Donuts coffee or McDonald's coffee or Thornton's coffee. Just stuff brewed at home and work. Understand, that this is a big deal.

The best part about Lent are the fish fry's. Yummy.

Aesma wrote:

Not really. In the US, the Conference of Bishops has determined that an observant Catholic can abstain from something else in lieu of meat.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

flipdewaf

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:41 am

I gave up giving stuff up for lent when I realised:
1. Farming technology is such that we don’t need to be preserving things over this period in order to enable healthy birth and upbringing of animals.
2. People have knowledge to be able to decide if it’s a good idea to give something up them selves for a period without the fear of retribution from on high.

There is no such thing as catholic children, only children of catholic parents.

If you want to be a good catholic then you can give up something for lent.

If you want to give up something because it’s fun and maybe it’s the impetus you need then fine.

You want to be really respected for giving something up then give up supporting a Catholic Church who routinely groom children for rape and keep them quiet through fear of a celestial dictatorship.

I’m giving up giving respect to those who frankly don’t deserve it.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DL717

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:30 pm

I gave up another forum. Compared to said forum, this place is a love fest. It just got to a point where enough is enough, but it wasn’t because of Lent. I gave up on the driveway. Someday it will stop snowing and being in the teens or below, but until then the neighbors kid now has a part time gig.

Friday night fish fry? Never giving that up. Sacrilegious. That’s something I picked up from my wife, we didn’t have it growing up.

(Sorry, I’m Lutheran, we don’t get the whole “give up something” with Catholics. Then again, there’s a lot of that between the two faiths. There is an old saying one of my pastors had... “If a Catholic wants to become a Lutheran, lent is a good time to do it!”)

The practice at Lutheran churches I have attended over the years is soup supers before vespers on Wednesday nights, a Catholic tradition that has been retained.

NIKV69 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religi ... days..html

I am a bad catholic

You’re going to hell Nick. Just accept it and move on.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

ChrisKen

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Aesma wrote:

It is. Strangely they got around that one by declaring pretty much every day as a "feast" day, thus circumventing (their) "god's word" with the usual hypocrisy of religion.

northstardc4m

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:57 pm

I gave up giving things up.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

bgm

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:31 pm

I gave up lent.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

NIKV69

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:55 pm

fr8mech wrote:

The best part about Lent are the fish fry's. Yummy.

I forgot about that! Aliante Buffet here I come tomorrow!

apodino

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 pm

I gave up Caffeinated beverages. No regular coffee for me until lent is over, so I am not sure how I will survive.

fr8mech

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:24 am

apodino wrote:
I gave up Caffeinated beverages. No regular coffee for me until lent is over, so I am not sure how I will survive.

See, that makes no sense. You're not just supposed to give up something you like, you're to give up something you do in order to make penance for past transgressions. This is supposed to make you a better person.

I see absolutely no way that giving up caffeine would make me a better person. It would actually make me a miserable person, making those around me miserable, or at least bemused at my suffering ;)
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere