wn676
Topic Author

United HQ Lease Extension

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:21 pm

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

The Chicago-based airline said it has extended its lease in Chicago’s tallest skyscraper until 2033, following a year-and-a-half search for a potential new headquarters campus in Chicago.
The company will revamp, in stages. its 850,000 square feet of space on 16 floors of the former Sears Tower. United will add a 30,000-square-foot cafeteria and roof deck on the fourth floor.

After some speculation last year on this board that they would be potentially be relocating, it looks like UA is here to stay at Willis and in Chicago for quite some time. Also some nice changes for CSC-based employees in the coming years.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

SFOtoORD

Re: United HQ Lease Extension

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:44 pm

I’m guessing they were mostly looking for negotiating leverage. Although to get leverage you have to be pretty serious about evaluating other options.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Sixteen floors and almost 900,000 square feet for the home office employees? I seem to recall a fire broke out at the home office about 10 years ago. Only "essential" employees could go to work for a 3 week period with everyone else told to stay home. Funny, planes still flew, operations continued, and paychecks were delivered on time.

All this leads to the question: If everything still contiued and only a handfull of the 4,000 employees were really working, then why are the rest needed? Now they want more real estate for the majority who obviously are not needed?

Polot

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:56 pm

727200 wrote:
Sixteen floors and almost 900,000 square feet for the home office employees? I seem to recall a fire broke out at the home office about 10 years ago. Only "essential" employees could go to work for a 3 week period with everyone else told to stay home. Funny, planes still flew, operations continued, and paychecks were delivered on time.

All this leads to the question: If everything still contiued and only a handfull of the 4,000 employees were really working, then why are the rest needed? Now they want more real estate for the majority who obviously are not needed?

There is a difference between running an airline/company/whatever on a skeleton staff for a few weeks versus full time year round.

LHUSA

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 pm

727200 wrote:

Never ceases to amaze me to negative spin people can put on ANYTHING. Major corporations require large headquarters. Not all positions can be virtual.

blockski

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Polot wrote:
727200 wrote:

There is a difference between running an airline/company/whatever on a skeleton staff for a few weeks versus full time year round.

Hey, I skipped a meal once and didn't die of starvation. Obviously that means I don't need to ever eat food.

jumpseat67

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Just flat out ugh....

Junction

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:22 pm

Also, when UA originally moved to Willis Tower several offices from different locations were consolidated into the one location. If there was any fire at a UA office before everything was consolidated, it would not have affected as many different departments as it could now.
I can't seem to find anything about a past fire at UA head offices by the way.

RDUDDJI

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:30 pm

727200 wrote:

That was a lot more than 10 years ago. I worked at UA's Elk Grove WHQ back in the mid 2000s and the fire was years before that.

Are you serious with that question?! Obviously, there are certain operations (i.e. System Control) that are more sensitive than others and require a secure environment to work in with all their needed technology. Other functions can be moved to other locations (like the airport) or done at home. Just because you're at home doesn't mean you aren't working. Perhaps you are not aware of technology like laptops and phones that make people able to work just about anywhere?
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

bridge29

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Great news for Chicago and United employees. Happy they're staying in the city instead of some sprawlburb outside Houston. It puts them in a much better position to attract highly skilled young workers, too.

coolian2

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:58 pm

727200 wrote:

An economist knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Scarebus34

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:17 pm

bridge29 wrote:
Great news for Chicago and United employees. Happy they're staying in the city instead of some sprawlburb outside Houston. It puts them in a much better position to attract highly skilled young workers, too.

That’s a myth. Millennials are leaving Chicago in droves and Houston is attracting far more.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03/06 ... of-living/

jayunited

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:23 pm

727200 wrote:

Your post makes it clear that you have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes and all the departments it takes to make an airline work. Before a flight ever takes to the sky, before a flight is even scheduled, or even announced as a new destination so many people behind the scenes that you never hear of have spent months if not years working just to make it happen. Also UA even 10 years ago had satellite locations in several suburbs, fast forward to today if something were to happen at Willis Tower there is a satellite location at another office building in downtown Chicago (I'm not revealing the location on purpose), there is also Elk Grove Village campus, there is also another satellite location in another Chicago suburb. Last but not least if necessary UA could run this entire airline from campuses and satellite locations in Houston. So while you might think people were staying home doing nothing I can guarantee you that was not the case some people were working from home while others reported to airports operation centers or satellite locations.

I know my coworkers who are originally from Houston will be disappointed with this news. I'm a native Chicagoan and I'm disappointed I was hoping UA would move HQ to Houston just because I'm tired of the high cost of living in the entire Chicagoland area. Chicago use to be an affordable city now if you want to live in a nice relatively safe area of the city like the South Loop, West Loop, Lincoln Park, Lake View, Andersonville or any of the other safe neighborhoods housing prices and rent prices are sky high. To find affordable (cheap) housing or apartments in Chicago one would need to live in a crime ridden neighborhood. Next property taxes for us homeowners are ridiculously high in Cook County and finally thanks to the incompetence and corruption at City Hall, Chicago laden with debt is charging taxes and fees on just abut everything there is even a bottle water tax. I was so hoping for Houston but now that is not going to happen.

bridge29

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:49 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
bridge29 wrote:

That’s a myth. Millennials are leaving Chicago in droves and Houston is attracting far more.

Chicago's population is declining no doubt - but it's losing poorer and less educated people while the city becomes wealthier and higher-educated.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article ... r-educated

"According to American Community Survey data compiled by Zotti, the share of Chicagoans over age 25 with bachelor's degrees or higher leapt from 29.3 percent in 2006 to 38.5 percent last year, with the increase particularly strong since 2011. That hike was larger than any of the country's four other most-populous cities—New York, Los Angeles, Houston and Philadelphia—and more than twice the 4.3 percent national increase."

Judge1310

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:54 pm

727200 wrote:

Wow, internet troll, would you please scurry back from where you came? Being a Negative Nigel/Nancy does nothing to further discussion or even offer congratulations when they are in order.

ALSO (you see how I am about to further this discussion here), this bit of news isn't important only to United Airlines. Indeed, this is a big thing for the western Chicago Loop and Willis (fka Sears) Tower. The first big and cool addition was the Tower Bar/Cafe on the 33rd floor but that was for a limited clientele. This whole new expansion is definitely needed for both tourists and workers (in the Tower and around the area) and I hope that the area does become a little bit livelier after the first evening trains roll out of Union, Ogilvie, and LaSalle Stations.

And finally, kudos to United for further consolidating non-Airport Operation employees in an iconic and wonderfully accessible location.

jetblastdubai

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:02 pm

If there is going to be a new, evolved logo at United, the Sears Tower would be an awesome building to attach it to....way at the top of course.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

a/c dxer

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:18 pm

[list=][/list]
jetblastdubai wrote:
If there is going to be a new, evolved logo at United, the Sears Tower would be an awesome building to attach it to....way at the top of course.

Maybe in 4 or 5 years. But currently Willis has the naming right. One of the articles did say it did come up.

CRJ5000

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:22 pm

I have a few friends there, and all were very hopeful that HQ would move to the suburbs. They aren't very happy about this at all.

adamblang

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:34 pm

CRJ5000 wrote:
I have a few friends there, and all were very hopeful that HQ would move to the suburbs. They aren't very happy about this at all.

I'm glad it stayed in the Loop. If it moved out to the 'burbs, I'd be re-evaluating my employment situation. Commuting from my neighborhood to current HQ is one train in, one train out. Any 'burb would've been double the time and at least two connections. Picking any suburb would've meant maybe 5%-10% of people would've gotten a better commute while everyone else's would've been much, much worse-off. Willis being right in the middle of all of Chicagoland's Metra regional rail, local L trains, and local busses gives an acceptable commute to the most possible people.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

CRJ5000

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:42 pm

adamblang wrote:
CRJ5000 wrote:

I'm glad it stayed in the Loop. If it moved out to the 'burbs, I'd be re-evaluating my employment situation. Commuting from my neighborhood to current HQ is one train in, one train out. Any 'burb would've been double the time and at least two connections. Picking any suburb would've meant maybe 5%-10% of people would've gotten a better commute while everyone else's would've been much, much worse-off. Willis being right in the middle of all of Chicagoland's Metra regional rail, local L trains, and local busses gives an acceptable commute to the most possible people.

Yeah, I certainly understand that. They're all currently renting and looking to buy which is why they desire the burbs so much. Just looking to get more house for their money and a shorter commute.

a/c dxer

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:56 pm

CRJ5000 wrote:
adamblang wrote:
CRJ5000 wrote:

Yeah, I certainly understand that. They're all currently renting and looking to buy which is why they desire the burbs so much. Just looking to get more house for their money and a shorter commute.

Also pretty hard to raise a kid in the city. Not everyone would be happy no matter the decision. Company did what was best for the company. Cant blame them there.

United787

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:41 pm

CRJ5000 wrote:
adamblang wrote:
CRJ5000 wrote:

Their commute would get shorter if they moved to a suburb close to where the HQ would move. With the HQ downtown, within walking distance of the 3 of the 4 major Metra stations, you can practically live in any suburb you want and have comfortable and productive commute in a Metra train, which is far superior of an experience to a CTA train and IMHO, to driving.

N649DL

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Junction wrote:
Also, when UA originally moved to Willis Tower several offices from different locations were consolidated into the one location. If there was any fire at a UA office before everything was consolidated, it would not have affected as many different departments as it could now.

A little over 10 years ago UAL was potentially looking to move it's HQ to DEN or SFO as an alternative. Chicago gave them major tax breaks and moved them into the Willis Tower after that. HQ before that I believe was somewhere in the suburbs of IL.

adamblang

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm

N649DL wrote:
HQ before that I believe was somewhere in the suburbs of IL.

Elk Grove Village
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

N328KF

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:08 pm

I think Sears Tower should be renamed to "United Tower." Nobody here in Chicago feels any connection to Willis, the law firm.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

1836Sam

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:16 am

N328KF wrote:
I think Sears Tower should be renamed to "United Tower." Nobody here in Chicago feels any connection to Willis, the law firm.

How about to Willis, the insurance firm?

N328KF

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:25 am

1836Sam wrote:
N328KF wrote:

They are more properly in risk management.

It doesn’t matter. Chicago hates them. “United Tower” would be accepted.
-Donny Miller

1836Sam

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:26 am

N328KF wrote:
1836Sam wrote:
N328KF wrote:

They are more properly in risk management.

It doesn’t matter. Chicago hates them. “United Tower” would be accepted.

Well they ain’t a law firm. Glad you agree.

1836Sam

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:28 am

bridge29 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
bridge29 wrote:

Chicago's population is declining no doubt - but it's losing poorer and less educated people while the city becomes wealthier and higher-educated.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article ... r-educated

"According to American Community Survey data compiled by Zotti, the share of Chicagoans over age 25 with bachelor's degrees or higher leapt from 29.3 percent in 2006 to 38.5 percent last year, with the increase particularly strong since 2011. That hike was larger than any of the country's four other most-populous cities—New York, Los Angeles, Houston and Philadelphia—and more than twice the 4.3 percent national increase."

Well that’s great news! Surely property tax rates have gone down proportionately with all this newfound wealth and intelligence from “whites” and “richer black folk” since the “poorer black folk” are moving away in droves.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/chica ... -aide-says

(What an absolutely bizarre article. Surprised it was fit to print in Crain’s.)

slider

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Bully for them. Congrats to the UA peeps who now have to continue to endure shitty commutes, costly commutes, and a tax hell into perpetuity.

United1

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:20 pm

wn676 wrote:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ori/ct-biz-united-airlines-stays-at-willis-tower-ryan-ori-20190312-story.html

The Chicago-based airline said it has extended its lease in Chicago’s tallest skyscraper until 2033, following a year-and-a-half search for a potential new headquarters campus in Chicago.
The company will revamp, in stages. its 850,000 square feet of space on 16 floors of the former Sears Tower. United will add a 30,000-square-foot cafeteria and roof deck on the fourth floor.

After some speculation last year on this board that they would be potentially be relocating, it looks like UA is here to stay at Willis and in Chicago for quite some time. Also some nice changes for CSC-based employees in the coming years.

Video of the new space looks good...will it solve all of the issues people have pointed out on this thread but still a nice upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiczlgRvPk0
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

LMP737

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:06 pm

jayunited wrote:
727200 wrote:

I know my coworkers who are originally from Houston will be disappointed with this news. I'm a native Chicagoan and I'm disappointed I was hoping UA would move HQ to Houston just because I'm tired of the high cost of living in the entire Chicagoland area. Chicago use to be an affordable city now if you want to live in a nice relatively safe area of the city like the South Loop, West Loop, Lincoln Park, Lake View, Andersonville or any of the other safe neighborhoods housing prices and rent prices are sky high.

If you have a family are you really going to want to live in the South or West Loop?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

strfyr51

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:47 am

N649DL wrote:
Junction wrote:

A little over 10 years ago UAL was potentially looking to move it's HQ to DEN or SFO as an alternative. Chicago gave them major tax breaks and moved them into the Willis Tower after that. HQ before that I believe was somewhere in the suburbs of IL.

Before that it was in Elk Grove Village on Algonquin Ave. There wasn't very much around it. While I didn't like the drive into town from Schaumburg. I did like the hustle and Bustle downtown and the fact that we got Killer Food delivered mostly around the clock if we wanted it. The Down side? Walking to the Parking Lot down the street instead of parking across the street.

TWA772LR

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:27 am

I currently work for an airline with a large presence in Denver but it would be my wet dream come true if United moved the Chicago CSC back to Houston.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

LMP737

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:44 am

N328KF wrote:

That's why everyone in the Chicagoland area still calls it the Sears Tower.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

afcjets

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:41 am

bridge29 wrote:

IMO they should move to Denver, which at one point was CO’s largest hub and their hq before IAH and LAX. It is a shame what has become of both airlines and IMO that should have been enough and the merged airline should have stayed United.

N328KF

Mon May 20, 2019 12:31 pm

afcjets wrote:
bridge29 wrote:

IMO they should move to Denver, which at one point was CO’s largest hub and their hq before IAH and LAX. It is a shame what has become of both airlines and IMO that should have been enough and the merged airline should have stayed United.

Do you actually have any business reason for this, or even one that makes sense other than that it's what you'd personally prefer?
-Donny Miller

afcjets

Mon May 20, 2019 3:42 pm

N328KF wrote:
afcjets wrote:
bridge29 wrote:

Do you actually have any business reason for this, or even one that makes sense other than that it's what you'd personally prefer?

It’s what I would personally prefer, but it doesn’t affect me so I don’t really care. I would imagine real estate in the open plains near DIA is less expensive than downtown Chicago and DEN is the only place that both airlines have or had a large presence so it might help finally bring the two sides together.