Dieuwer
Topic Author

Magnificent NON-UNESCO World Heritage site

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Recently (i.e. last December) I visited Bagan in Myanmar. Rented an electric scooter and visited dozens of temples over the span of a couple of days. Had a great time and was very impressed with the sights. Although the Bagan Archaeological Zone is not listed as a World Heritage Site, I can see it being added eventually (after all the requirements set forth by UNESCO are fulfilled). Still, I thought it to be one of the most impressive sites I ever visited, perhaps even more so than e.g. Angkor Wat.

So what are - in your mind - other very impressive locales that are NOT listed as UNESCO WH sites?

trpmb6

Re: Magnificent NON-UNESCO World Heritage site

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:56 pm

Ha Ha Tonka State Park is a favorite of mine since I was a kid. It's nothing really fancy, ruins from an early 20th century stone mansion that was quarried locally. The owner died in one of the first automobile accidents in the nation (and thus likely the world).

Just a neat little place is all. The spring is quite refreshing in the summer. Some good hiking as well.

Airstud

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:29 pm

Not UNESCO material, but I find it bothersome that the main St. Louis post office isn't listed on the NRHP, considering the WPA murals in the lobby:

https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/main ... -louis-mo/
Pancakes are delicious.

Yflyer

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:58 pm

In Norway, while Geirangerfjord is listed as a World Heritage Site, as far as I can tell Trollstigen is not considered part of the WH Site, in spite of being nearby and equally breathtaking. Not to mention that road winding up the side of the mountain must have been a serious feat of engineering.

seb146

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 am

There are several mounds around North America but no one knows what they are for. They are man made and date back to before Columbus. The Cahokia Mounds are designated a World Heritage Site but there are other mounds in Ohio, Illinois, Washington state as well.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

stl07

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:15 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Ha Ha Tonka State Park is a favorite of mine since I was a kid. It's nothing really fancy, ruins from an early 20th century stone mansion that was quarried locally. The owner died in one of the first automobile accidents in the nation (and thus likely the world).

Just a neat little place is all. The spring is quite refreshing in the summer. Some good hiking as well.

Haha that bought back some good memories as a little kid. I'll need to go back there sometime this summer
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Jouhou

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:34 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Recently (i.e. last December) I visited Bagan in Myanmar. Rented an electric scooter and visited dozens of temples over the span of a couple of days. Had a great time and was very impressed with the sights. Although the Bagan Archaeological Zone is not listed as a World Heritage Site, I can see it being added eventually (after all the requirements set forth by UNESCO are fulfilled). Still, I thought it to be one of the most impressive sites I ever visited, perhaps even more so than e.g. Angkor Wat.

So what are - in your mind - other very impressive locales that are NOT listed as UNESCO WH sites?

I thought that was a UNESCO site! I guess it's just a slow process.

There's definitely things in Taiwan world heritage worthy, but because of the prc they can't have any sites.

It would take a Taiwanese expert to pick the best site. The country's natural and cultural beauty is diverse and scattered all across the island.

Dutchy

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:22 pm

I would like to suggest Cádiz.

Cádiz is regarded by many people as the oldest continuously inhabited city in Western Europe

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dieuwer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:14 am

Jouhou wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

I thought that was a UNESCO site! I guess it's just a slow process.

There's definitely things in Taiwan world heritage worthy, but because of the prc they can't have any sites.

It would take a Taiwanese expert to pick the best site. The country's natural and cultural beauty is diverse and scattered all across the island.

Bagan received World Heritage status in July of this year.

Pyrex

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:35 pm

Niagara Falls should be on the list. Yes, I know the Canadian side looks like a mini-Vegas, and the U.S. side looks like a mini-Atlantic City, but if you are able to abstract yourself from the tackiness of the human construction around it, the waterfalls themselves truly are one of the great natural wonders of the world - standing close to them and feeling 4 of the largest lakes in the world rushing to the ocean through a fairly narrow river is awe-inspiring
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

TSS

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:33 pm

seb146 wrote:
There are several mounds around North America but no one knows what they are for. They are man made and date back to before Columbus. The Cahokia Mounds are designated a World Heritage Site but there are other mounds in Ohio, Illinois, Washington state as well.

Moundville Archaeological Site- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moundville_Archaeological_Site

Pyrex wrote:
Niagara Falls should be on the list. Yes, I know the Canadian side looks like a mini-Vegas, and the U.S. side looks like a mini-Atlantic City, but if you are able to abstract yourself from the tackiness of the human construction around it, the waterfalls themselves truly are one of the great natural wonders of the world - standing close to them and feeling 4 of the largest lakes in the world rushing to the ocean through a fairly narrow river is awe-inspiring

I thought World Heritage Sites had to be man-made, not natural wonders.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ArchGuy1

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:24 am

The Empire State Building in New York City is another site that should be listed as a UNESCO Heritage Site.

TSS

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:21 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Empire State Building in New York City is another site that should be listed as a UNESCO Heritage Site.

Under what criteria? It's a fairly cool building and a New York City landmark, but ultimately it is just an office building that is less than a hundred years old. Other than a B-25 crashing into the side of it and someone surviving a record setting elevator plunge, nothing of historic significance has ever happened there.

ArchGuy1

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:32 pm

TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Under what criteria? It's a fairly cool building and a New York City landmark, but ultimately it is just an office building that is less than a hundred years old. Other than a B-25 crashing into the side of it and someone surviving a record setting elevator plunge, nothing of historic significance has ever happened there.

Fallingwater and Sydney Opera House are listed as World Heritage Sites so I could see that with the Empire State Building.

TSS

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:19 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Fallingwater and Sydney Opera House are listed as World Heritage Sites so I could see that with the Empire State Building.

If those two are listed, then I guess it does qualify.