Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

anshabhi
Topic Author

4 Sikhs allegedly deboarded cause a lady felt threatened from them

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:26 pm

I don't know the flight # or airline but apparently in this video a woman claims she got 4 sikhs deboarded becuase she felt threatened (for no reason at all)
https://twitter.com/SikhProf/status/1107419323176546304

Can someone please share more details about this? Including, which airline was it which allowed this (if true) ??

This is the kind of hate which leads us to NZ like incidents

Virtual737

Re: 4 Sikhs allegedly deboarded cause a lady felt threatened from them

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:28 pm

IF true (as always there are 3 sides to a story), why not deboard the woman?

zakuivcustom

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
IF true (as always there are 3 sides to a story), why not deboard the woman?

Exactly. If she's so scared, she could have request not riding on the same flight with the Sikhs, and deboard herself.

Well, either that, or the woman need some safe space, b/c the world is a very dangerous place.

Karlsands

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:35 pm

Sikhs are a very peaceful group of people , what a joke

sw733

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:43 pm

Karlsands wrote:

I guarantee she thought they were Muslims. Seems like most bias towards Sikh people is because ignorant folks don't know they're not Muslims. I mean, come on, if you're going to hate a whole group of people, at least know who those people are and are not.

This woman was Sikh in the head.

Bricktop

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:44 pm

anshabhi wrote:
I don't know the flight # or airline but apparently in this video a woman claims she got 4 sikhs deboarded becuase she felt threatened (for no reason at all)
https://twitter.com/SikhProf/status/1107419323176546304

Can someone please share more details about this? Including, which airline was it which allowed this (if true) ??

This is the kind of hate which leads us to NZ like incidents

She's right of course. If she's scared, she's scared. Perfect logic. She doesn't fit the Trump demo though.
But what happens next in the saga of "Justice in the Age of Social Media" is another story. A foulmouth like her is the squeaky wheel, decency be damned.

CantbeGrounded

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Karlsands wrote:

What a sad, sad (ugly) person she is. I hope she finds whatever will help her lead a less hate-filled life.

BirdBrain

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Not much information to go on here, so hard to say what happened. In my opinion, it would be appropriate to see both parties be deboarded. If not, this will keep happening.

Virtual737

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:55 pm

BirdBrain wrote:
it would be appropriate to see both parties be deboarded. If not, this will keep happening.

Out of interest, why would you deboard the Sikhs if all we read is true. Flying while Sikh is yet to be a punishable offense.

snn2003

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:56 pm

This is definitely a United 737. What a sad story. If she was upset, she should have been removed.
On behalf of your entire Boston based crew, thanks for flying with us today.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:58 pm

My opinion is that the Airlines need to adopt a policy that if a person is uncomfortable with other passengers on board. That is the person deborded, and rescheduled for another flight.

That will end almost all of this issue in a short period of time.

Have a great day,

Bricktop

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:16 pm

2175301 wrote:
My opinion is that the Airlines need to adopt a policy that if a person is uncomfortable with other passengers on board. That is the person deborded, and rescheduled for another flight.

That will end almost all of this issue in a short period of time.

Have a great day,

Attention passengers. If anyone else is so unevolved that they are uncomfortable with these folks, and prefers to cool it in the terminal for an indeterminate period waiting for availability on a flight to get to your destination, possibly messing up your meetings, hotel and dinner reservations, inconveniencing those who will be meeting you at the other end and so forth, kindly deplane immediately. Didn't think so. Enjoy the flight.

B747forever

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:24 pm

sw733 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

I guarantee she thought they were Muslims. Seems like most bias towards Sikh people is because ignorant folks don't know they're not Muslims. I mean, come on, if you're going to hate a whole group of people, at least know who those people are and are not.

This woman was Sikh in the head.

Probably the world's most misunderstood group.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Ionosphere

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:30 pm

It's sad when minorities are racist against other minorities

Blimpie

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Ok, I'll bite and play devil's advocate here. And, since I am not at work, I don't have to worry about IT or my publisher yumping on me for my lack of professionalism in my reply.

Now, I won't speak for the rest of the world, but in the US, college and workplaces over the past decade have leaned to create "safe spaces". A safe space is a place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm. (This for anyone who is not up to par with modern America PC culture)

Problem with this new fangled philosophy is that it can go both ways. Safe spaces are not limited to liberal or left leaning ideologies to create a magical shield to protect them from conservatives or right wingers. The guys on the right get to use that same argument.

However, from what I read of the Twitter post, this woman who demanded the Sikhs be kicked off could very well be the head of the DCC and has as much fear of them as my wife does of the neighbor's poodle. And critical thinking tells not to blindly accept a random twitter post with little to no context other than the person who's filming opinion is.

Now, I don't belong to either the right or left ideologies of American culture, being Japanese-American and having spent half my life going between the two countries, but the way I see this, is what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Personally, as an old stubborn man, I would just de-board both parties. Now get off my lawn before I turn the sprinklers on you all.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

tvarad

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:55 pm

Generally, airlines will not release full information about passengers being de-boarded due to the legal/bad publicity implications, so anyone who gets kicked off a plane can make up a story about the reason. Most of these cases just die down after a while without any charges being filed. I really would like to hear the other side of the story in this case.

stl07

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Like I say each time this happens, How about deboarding the offended person since they are so triggered by a different ethnicity
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

BirdBrain

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

Out of interest, why would you deboard the Sikhs if all we read is true. Flying while Sikh is yet to be a punishable offense.

I was speaking in general, sorry if I came across as siding with either party. I have Sikh friends, who are among the nicest people I know.

I don't know what happened here. I just feel it's far too easy to complain and have someone kicked out. This will force people (accuser and airline) to pause and think before ejecting pax.

eal

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:13 pm

No actual confirmation the Sikhs were removed other than this disgusting persons claims, I highly doubt the airline would have removed them.

What an obnoxious and attention hungry loser this person is.

alfa164

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:20 pm

eal wrote:
No actual confirmation the Sikhs were removed other than this disgusting persons claims, I highly doubt the airline would have removed them.

She is supposed to be some kind of comedian; I have never heard of her. I think your "attention-hungry" observation may be right on target.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

airzim

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Karlsands wrote:

Hmm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassina ... ira_Gandhi

klakzky123

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:30 pm

airzim wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Hmm.

Like most things in life, there's a lot of nuance and history behind this. Lets just say the last years of her administration had a lot of controversy with much of it involving the Sikh community in Punjab. Much of that has little bearing on the day to day lives of Sikhs.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Mods - the title of the thread needs amending;
It says "a lady felt threatened".

She ain't no lady!

p.s. Is the whole thing just a hoax? A publicity stunt for a wannabe comedienne? Jess Hilarious?
Nothing to see here; move along please.

StormRider

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:39 pm

sw733 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Never understood why some people confuse Sikhs and Muslims ..(though ignorance and humans go hand in hand) ....
Also Sikhs being peaceful is right but they are also well known as warriors and in general are very jovial people.

gatibosgru

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Shame she had to be that ignorant, and shame she was dumb enough to film it.
@DadCelo

speedbird52

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:09 pm

airzim wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Hmm.

So as a result of this an entire religion is no longer considered peaceful?

speedbird52

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:10 pm

EvanWSFO

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:24 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Mods - the title of the thread needs amending;
It says "a lady felt threatened".

She ain't no lady!

p.s. Is the whole thing just a hoax? A publicity stunt for a wannabe comedienne? Jess Hilarious?

I would not be surprised. Until today, I've never heard of an Instagram comedian. That tells me she's not good enough and has to result to social media, Perhaps she should watch Mrs. Maisel to see how it's done.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

FlyHossD

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:44 pm

eal wrote:

As a former captain, I would have given her the option to deplane. I'm sure the airline would have offered her a later flight.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

airzim

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:45 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
airzim wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Hmm.

Nobody is getting the irony. We’re ready to jump down the throat of a women’s overreaction to something she clearly doesn’t understand about Sikhs, but not allowed to call out the same type of ignorance of history by a poster when he/she claims “Sikhs are a very peaceful group,” when clearly they are not always.

There’s a reason why Sikhs carry kirpans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan#History

Doesn’t make them more or less peaceful than any person. Instead of chastising, why don’t we try and educate.

tjcab

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:48 pm

sw733 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Does not make it better. Should I be afraid of males of a certain demographic just because some few nut jobs are shooting up places? Of course not. Utter rubbish.

klm617

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Karlsands wrote:

Very peaceful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

peterinlisbon

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:58 pm

The problem is that these days when a woman "feels" something (regardless of whether that feeling is justified), it's Captain Saveaho* to the rescue (*probably not the captain's real name). If a man "feels" threatened then people will ask if he was actually threatened, which they should.

PatrickZ80

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:04 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

The way I read it, the Sikhs deboarded themselves because the woman felt threatened. They were entitled to stay on board, but decided against it. It seems those Sikhs prevailed the womans comfort over their own.

OA940

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:07 pm

Sorry for the potentially ignorant question, but did this kind of stuff always happen or is this one of the great things of this decade? I know that in the last 5-6 years with technology booming we get to see all of the stuff that always happened but we never knew about, but is this truly one of those cases?

Also for the people ''attacking'' per se, the group of people involved in this incident on the basis of bombings and assasinations, I guess that means all Muslims are bad too because of 9/11 and ISIS, all whites are bad as well because of Columbine, Christchurch and Las Vegas, and in general going by your logic I guess that means there isn't a single damn good person on this earth. So maybe instead of generalizing and racially profiling minorities based on extremist groups we should get our facts straight. Just an idea.
A350/CSeries = bae

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:53 pm

StormRider wrote:
sw733 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Never understood why some people confuse Sikhs and Muslims ..(though ignorance and humans go hand in hand) ....
Also Sikhs being peaceful is right but they are also well known as warriors and in general are very jovial people.

As a young white child in the deep south in the 1970's, I was exposed (indirectly, listening through walls when I was supposed to be elsewhere) to some of the most horrific descriptions of "those people" I could ever have imagined. Group after group, time after time, referred to collectively as being an insult to the existence of "real" people. One conversation even included references to the idea that the people of the Middle East and South Asia were, to be diplomatic, "the same as Africans with the addition of a common substance found in deserts".

To my knowledge, none of this talk ever led to anything, but the xenophobia so rampant in U.S. history that I sort of assumed was on its way out was here to stay.

After 9/11, many Sikhs were attacked and killed, with the entire community being lumped into the category of "them". Worse yet, instead of being horrified by it, many people said, "well, it's a tough time for all of us!", as if that excused the violence against any community - much less a community that had NOTHING to do with it at all - was justifiable.

And still it continues. A woman on a red-eye flight out of San Diego is scared because she "heard passengers speaking Arabic". The flight turns around and is cancelled. How much did that cost the airline to kowtow to one frightened snowflake? And Lord knows, we've all heard of "Pool Patrol Paula" and "Barbecue Becky" - delicate snowflakes who are horrified at the sight of other people living their lives.

As furious as I would be with the (fill in your favorite expletives here) "woman" in question, I would be more horrified by an airline that is setting itself up for a MASSIVE discrimination lawsuit because one terrified woman can't stand the thought of diversity on her airplane. The Sikhs need to sue the woman personally, and name the airline as a co-defendant. If it is this moron's God-given white...err, excuse me, "right" to be terrified of "others" and demand they leave her airplane, then it is her God-given right to have her @$$ sued off in a court of law.

A comedian in the 80's put it best: "I despise prejudice. I despise hatred. I just don't understand how ANY rational human being could hate an entire group when there are so many legitimate reasons to dislike people on an individual basis!

sw733

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:07 pm

tjcab wrote:
sw733 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Does not make it better. Should I be afraid of males of a certain demographic just because some few nut jobs are shooting up places? Of course not. Utter rubbish.

When the hell did I say that made it better?

FlapsOne

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Didn't Sikhs murder 329 people on Air India 182?

LH658

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:58 pm

airzim wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
airzim wrote:

Nobody is getting the irony. We’re ready to jump down the throat of a women’s overreaction to something she clearly doesn’t understand about Sikhs, but not allowed to call out the same type of ignorance of history by a poster when he/she claims “Sikhs are a very peaceful group,” when clearly they are not always.

There’s a reason why Sikhs carry kirpans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan#History

Doesn’t make them more or less peaceful than any person. Instead of chastising, why don’t we try and educate.

I have visited many Sikh holy sites, I found Sikhs peaceful people, and also i find all people from all religions peaceful, they're are few nutty ones that screw up the image for the rest of the people, but unfortunately that's life.

Jouhou

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 am

klm617 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Very peaceful

It seems those militant Sikhs were part of a separatist movement. More to do with disputes with the government of India than religion.

The religion does have very peaceful teachings but leaves a caveat open for self-defense. It does not however encourage violence against non-believers, like some religions may be interpreted as saying.

I am generally pretty appalled how people bigoted towards Muslims can't even get their bigotry right though. If that isn't proof of the ignorance behind it, I don't know what is.
情報

FlapsOne

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:21 am

Jouhou wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Very peaceful

It seems those militant Sikhs were part of a separatist movement. More to do with disputes with the government of India than religion.

The religion does have very peaceful teachings but leaves a caveat open for self-defense. It does not however encourage violence against non-believers, like some religions may be interpreted as saying.

I am generally pretty appalled how people bigoted towards Muslims can't even get their bigotry right though. If that isn't proof of the ignorance behind it, I don't know what is.

Totally agree. It's like when anyone right of Michael Moore is branded the 'far right' and are blamed for terror attacks.

tommy1808

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:39 am

Blimpie wrote:
Now, I won't speak for the rest of the world, but in the US, college and workplaces over the past decade have leaned to create "safe spaces". A safe space is a place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm. (This for anyone who is not up to par with modern America PC culture).

So aside of criticism safe spaces are how everywhere should be?

Jouhou wrote:
The religion does have very peaceful teachings but leaves a caveat open for self-defense.

It is pretty hard to think of a religion that a) doesn't have peaceful teachings that also b) doesn't lend itself to a quick twist that makes it justify violence...
Jebus didn't even allow self defense and how peaceful has Christianity been?

LH658 wrote:
and also i find all people from all religions peaceful, they're are few nutty ones that screw up the image for the rest of the people, but unfortunately that's life.

Well, crazy probably has a fairly normal distribution, any religion or philosophy automatically comes with fringes...

stl07 wrote:
Like I say each time this happens, How about deboarding the offended person since they are so triggered by a different ethnicity

While obviously right, you want people to report suspicious things, and that is about as subjective as it gets, so you may end up debording the person crying wolf... people may stop doing that, even if they have real reasons.
While I am sure that cry can be evaluated quite well, in social media details may get lost for the general public.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

subramak1

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:11 pm

airzim wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Hmm.

The person who assassinated Kennedy was a Christian, Hitler was a Christian too.. what say you about Christians now?

The person who killed Sri Lankan president was a hindu, what say you about Hindus?

We all know the religion of Osama Bin Lade, what say you about muslims

Ignorance is bliss

Subu

tommy1808

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:56 am

subramak1 wrote:
airzim wrote:
Karlsands wrote:

Hmm.

The person who assassinated Kennedy was a Christian, Hitler was a Christian too.. what say you about Christians now?

..and one that justified the genocide with Christian doctrine on top of it, while correctly assessing it was an unforgivable sin that could never be explained or understood. That is why there is so surprisingly little documentation, as it was never planned to have a lasting record.

Close to all of his henchmen where good, faithful Christian's too.....

There will always be good people.doing good and evil people.doing evil, but it will always take religion* to make good people do evil.

Best regards
Thomas

*in the broadest sense
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Airstud

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 am

Ionosphere wrote:
It's sad when minoritiespeople are racist against other minorities

FTFY.
Pancakes are delicious.

Redd

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:05 am

4 Sikhs allegedly deboarded cause a lady felt threatened from them

Fixed the title for you

4 Sikhs allegedly deboarded because a crazy bitch felt threatened by them
Last edited by Redd on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dieuwer

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:21 pm

As long as people feed Twitter Trolls, this type of garbage will continue.

#DeleteTwitter
#DeleteFacebook