Airstud
Topic Author

The incorrect use of a cruise ship

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:44 am

is to perform journeys to destinations that are just as reachable by land.

There are "cruises" for instance from San Francisco to Vancouver. And you can take a blamed Greyhound bus from San Francisco to Vancouver so these cruises are a total waste of a ship, and a total diss to the magic of the sea.

It is correct instead to cruise from a U.S. or Canuck west coast port to Hawaii, or better yet Osaka.

I believe one of the cruise lines has a route from Boston to Bermuda, which is more of what we're looking for, see - however the itinerary only allows three days in Bermuda; I'm not certain that's correct. Bermuda's a place you go to unwind & have magnus relaxicus, no? Vacationers deserve more than three days' worth of that :boggled:

Anyway - just no "cruises" to destinations that your originating city is connected to by land; kthxbi.
Pancakes are delicious.

BWIAirport

Re: The incorrect use of a cruise ship

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:05 am

Cruises are not for efficient travel, they are for luxury and seclusion. It's much quicker to fly from Boston to Bermuda, but people will take a cruise because they want to spend a week on a floating luxurious city. People don't take a cruise to get from San Francisco to Vancouver as quickly as possible, they take them because cruises are fun no matter the route.
I cannot think of a route for which a cruise is the fastest or most efficient option. What is your "correct" use of a cruise ship?
Next flight: October 17 DL2641 BWI-ATL B739
October 17 DL2607 ATL-TPA B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:26 am

BWIAirport wrote:
What is your "correct" use of a cruise ship?

I think I effectively told youse in my opening post: to not (I say NOT) diss the magic of the sea.
Pancakes are delicious.

PatrickZ80

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:01 am

If a cruise is the most efficient way to get from one place to another it's called a ferry. In some cases a ship can be both a cruise ship and a ferry. A lot of the ferries here in Europe are quite luxury and also sold as cruises.

Like someone I know had won a cruise from IJmuiden to Newcastle for two persons in a lottery. The cruise ship was actually just the ferry, but it offered all the luxury of a cruise ship. They arrived in Newcastle and spent a day exploring the city and at the end of the day they boarded the cruise ship (ferry) back to IJmuiden.

Of course there are also flights between Amsterdam and Newcastle which is probably the quickest way to get from one place to another. Still a lot of people take the ferry. Why? I think you can fill that out for yourself.

txjim

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:04 pm

The one you refer to is likely a repositioning cruise where ships transition from the Alaska season to other locations. They are used by people as test cruises to determine if they like the vacation and by people bumping their loyalty level (yes, mileage runs exist in the cruise industry.) They are also a quick getaway for people wanting a quick destress vacation.

Did you seriously think that cruises exist to be an efficient mode of transportation? You refer to the "magic of the sea" but most cruise ships are pretty far from that description. Want to be one with the ocean? Buy a sailboat.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:05 pm

At the end of the winter seasons, ships that have been plying the waters of the Mexican Riviera make their way north to Vancouver, where they can begin the Alaska summer season.

Repositioning cruises have lots of fans, myself included - we are hoping one day to do the Vancouver to San Diego cruise, taking our time to get up to Vancouver via Portland and Seattle for a couple of days, taking Amtrak's Coast Starlight. The repositioning cruise on the way south stops at Astoria, Oregon, San Francisco, and Santa Barbara, eventually ending less than five miles from my home in North Park. Why wouldn't I want to do that?

citationjet

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Airstud wrote:
The incorrect use of a cruise ship is to perform journeys to destinations that are just as reachable by land.

There are "cruises" for instance from San Francisco to Vancouver. And you can take a blamed Greyhound bus from San Francisco to Vancouver so these cruises are a total waste of a ship, and a total diss to the magic of the sea.

It is correct instead to cruise from a U.S. or Canuck west coast port to Hawaii, or better yet Osaka.

You don't like cruises that have an itinerary that is all connected by land, and can be accomplished by land transportation?

So you are against a cruise itinerary that starts in Venice, Italy and travels around the boot of Italy, stopping in Amalfi coast, Rome, Livorno, Monte Carlo, and ends in Nice?
How about an Alaskan cruise that starts in Vancouver, goes to Ketchikan, Sitka, and Homer, Alaska?
How about a Canada and New England cruise that starts in Quebec City, goes to Halifax, St. John, Portland Maine, Boston, and NYC?
What about a cruise from Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Seville, Lisbon and ends in Le Havre?
These are all reachable by land.

I assume you are against ALL river cruises, since their itineraries follow a river, which is all reachable and connected by land.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

IPFreely

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Airstud wrote:
The incorrect use of a cruise ship is to perform journeys to destinations that are just as reachable by land.

Interesting theory. I think you are confusing cruise ships with passenger ferries. Ferries take passengers to a destination. Cruise ships, in many ways, are the destination. In fact most cruises start and end at the same place, thereby going nowhere. Have you ever been on a passenger ferry or a cruise ship? You should probably go on both before deciding what is, and is not, correct.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:47 pm

txjim wrote:
Did you seriously think that cruises exist to be an efficient mode of transportation? You refer to the "magic of the sea"

Er, it was BWIAirport, not I, who somehow made this about "efficient" transportation. I was all about magic of the sea from the start.

And I maintain this stance; what's the fun of being on an awesome, ocean-going vessel if you can see the continental land mass during the whole length of the voyage? How are you going to be the King of the World???
Pancakes are delicious.

citationjet

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:46 am

Airstud wrote:
I believe one of the cruise lines has a route from Boston to Bermuda, which is more of what we're looking for, see - however the itinerary only allows three days in Bermuda; I'm not certain that's correct. Bermuda's a place you go to unwind & have magnus relaxicus, no? Vacationers deserve more than three days' worth of that.

If you want more than three days in Bermuda, then a cruise to Bermuda is probably not the answer - you should probably fly there. Most cruise ships are only in any one single port for two days at most.

Airstud wrote:
And I maintain this stance; what's the fun of being on an awesome, ocean-going vessel if you can see the continental land mass during the whole length of the voyage?

Then you should probably avoid most Baltic, Alaska and Mediterranean ocean cruises. Stick to Caribbean, trans-Pacific, trans-Atlantic, and Pacific cruises and you will be fine.
Most cruise passengers are more concerned with the destinations, rather than whether or not they can see land during the cruise. Keep in mind you are in port most days, and are cruising at night when there is not much land to see.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

1836Sam

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:49 am

Is there a correct use of a cruise ship? Gross.

stl07

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:27 am

citationjet wrote:
Airstud wrote:
I believe one of the cruise lines has a route from Boston to Bermuda, which is more of what we're looking for, see - however the itinerary only allows three days in Bermuda; I'm not certain that's correct. Bermuda's a place you go to unwind & have magnus relaxicus, no? Vacationers deserve more than three days' worth of that.

If you want more than three days in Bermuda, then a cruise to Bermuda is probably not the answer - you should probably fly there. Most cruise ships are only in any one single port for two days at most.

Airstud wrote:
And I maintain this stance; what's the fun of being on an awesome, ocean-going vessel if you can see the continental land mass during the whole length of the voyage?

Then you should probably avoid most Baltic, Alaska and Mediterranean ocean cruises. Stick to Caribbean, trans-Pacific, trans-Atlantic, and Pacific cruises and you will be fine.
Most cruise passengers are more concerned with the destinations, rather than whether or not they can see land during the cruise. Keep in mind you are in port most days, and are cruising at night when there is not much land to see.

Why should he avoid Alaska, none of those places are accessible by land accept anchorage/Seward and arguably Skagway
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

citationjet

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:26 pm

stl07 wrote:
Why should he avoid Alaska, none of those places are accessible by land accept anchorage/Seward and arguably Skagway

I included Alaska cruises based on the OP's latest reply #9 where he says "And I maintain this stance; what's the fun of being on an awesome, ocean-going vessel if you can see the continental land mass during the whole length of the voyage? ".

My Alaska response was not based on his initial comment that said "Anyway - just no "cruises" to destinations that your originating city is connected to by land".

KentB27

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:01 pm

I don't really see a problem with cruise ships going from one destination to another that are connected to each other by land. The appeal of cruise ships is that they are essentially all-inclusive resorts that move. They offer an experience that no other mode of transportation can match. Having a resort-like setting with tons of amenities that takes you from one location to another is a very appealing way to travel for many people. The "magic of the sea" is a totally subjective thing anyways. If cruise lines are making a profit from cruises to destinations that are connected to each other by land then I would argue that they're fulfilling the point of a cruise ship. After all, these ships exist to make money.

directorguy

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:13 pm

I feel sort of similar about cruise ship itineraries. For me, a transatlantic or transoceanic crossing is more of a "real" cruise than say Southampton to Hamburg.
A cruise for me has to have at least a full day or two of sailing out in the open sea.
I have not done any cruises in the Pacific Northwest/Alaska but in my imagination it probably wouldn't be a satisfying cruise for me mainly because the the start and end points are too similar.
A Mediterranean cruise might cover a similar distance but the ports of call are varied in scenery, language, history etc and for me feels more like "traveling"

johns624

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:57 pm

1836Sam wrote:
Nice, thoughtful response. I guess that's how you get 150+ posts in only two weeks.
Cruises are just moving hotel rooms. You get a taste of several different cities without having to keep changing hotels. Whether you can see land all the time is immaterial. I think the OP is confusing cruise ships with transocean liners.

1836Sam

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:08 pm

johns624 wrote:
1836Sam wrote:
Nice, thoughtful response. I guess that's how you get 150+ posts in only two weeks.
Cruises are just moving hotel rooms. You get a taste of several different cities without having to keep changing hotels. Whether you can see land all the time is immaterial. I think the OP is confusing cruise ships with transocean liners.

Thanks for schooling me and the entire thread with your insight, JOHNS624. Who knew cruise ships were like hotels? :bigthumbsup:

chimborazo

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:55 pm

Simple solution: for the cruise to Vancouver, select a cabin on the port side and only ever walk around outside on/look out from the port side of the vessel and Robert’s your mother’s brother.

Revelation

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:00 pm

johns624 wrote:
Cruises are just moving hotel rooms...

... where it is socially acceptable if not expected to eat and drink to excess, and where it is normal to be forced through a shopping mall maze placed between the hotel lobby and the street.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ltbewr

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:27 pm

I thought this topic was going to be like the ship that was operated too close to the coast of Italy, got grounded and killed a number of people.

einsteinboricua

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:47 pm

Airstud wrote:
And I maintain this stance; what's the fun of being on an awesome, ocean-going vessel if you can see the continental land mass during the whole length of the voyage? How are you going to be the King of the World???

You do realize that cruise ships look nothing like Titanic (with only a few amenities for even First Class), right?

And that even cruises that go from one city to the other in the same country still sail far out to sea so that international laws apply instead of the home country (ergo, landmass is not visible or barely distinguished)?

You should go on one. The days at sea are the best ways to show what cruise ships are supposed to be all about.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

petertenthije

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:21 am

This is the only incorrect way to use a cruise ship.

Attamottamotta!

DL717

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:43 am

Airstud wrote:
is to perform journeys to destinations that are just as reachable by land.

I believe one of the cruise lines has a route from Boston to Bermuda, which is more of what we're looking for, see - however the itinerary only allows three days in Bermuda; I'm not certain that's correct. Bermuda's a place you go to unwind & have magnus relaxicus, no? Vacationers deserve more than three days' worth of that :boggled:

Anyway - just no "cruises" to destinations that your originating city is connected to by land; kthxbi.

Those are usually reposition cruises. Why do it empty when you can make some dough on the way. It’s like a 2 week cruise from Florida or Vancouver via the Panama Canal.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

seb146

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:52 am

I have been on two cruises. One from Seattle to Alaska and back and the other from San Diego to Mexico and back. We enjoyed the majesty of the ocean and felt the salt air against our faces. Along the BC coast, we saw orcas and eagles, something we could have also done on the Alaska Marine Highway ferry. It would have been nice to spend a couple of days in each port and also Petersburg and Haida Gwaii. That is really my only complaint about cruising.

I don't understand the three day cruises but whatever. If that is what people want, go for it.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

stl07

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:55 am

Seb 3 day cruises are for college and high school kids looking for a party who get bored over the whole 7-14 days or the alcohol and other stuff is too taxing on the body for more than 4 days
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Virtual737

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:30 am

petertenthije wrote:

... and before anyone says it.... that didn't buff out!

EA CO AS

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:52 am

The incorrect use of a cruise ship

Captain Stubing is not amused.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

stratclub

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:47 am

petertenthije wrote:

Inciteful post, but there is an even more incorrect way to use a cruise ship. That is building them in the first place.

johns624

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:51 am

Revelation wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Cruises are just moving hotel rooms...

... where it is socially acceptable if not expected to eat and drink to excess, and where it is normal to be forced through a shopping mall maze placed between the hotel lobby and the street.
You must go on different cruises than I do. Not all cruises are Caribbean party boats. I've been on 4 cruises and never seen the drunks or shopping mall mazes you describe. Maybe it's because I go on interesting cruises, Baltic, Oz, NZ, etc.

johns624

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:52 am

stratclub wrote:
Inciteful post, but there is an even more incorrect way to use a cruise ship. That is building them in the first place.
What don't you like about cruise ships?

cskok8

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:30 pm

1836Sam wrote:

Queen Mary carrying GIs back from Europe in 1945?

1836Sam

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:32 pm

cskok8 wrote:
1836Sam wrote:

Hey, there you go!

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:03 pm

stl07 wrote:
Seb 3 day cruises are for college and high school kids looking for a party who get bored over the whole 7-14 days or the alcohol and other stuff is too taxing on the body for more than 4 days

Um...no. 3-day cruises are a great way to provide some weekend fun. If I were in an area that did 3-day cruises I'd take them every so often.

Considering that the minimum age to serve alcohol is 21 (cruise policy dependent), why would high school and college kids try to bank money to go on weekend trips?

johns624 wrote:
Not all cruises are Caribbean party boats.
You get what you pay for. Go on an economic cruise like a Carnival cruise, and it's likely going to be party all the time. Go on a more expensive cruise like Princess or Holland America, and it'll likely be slower paced. Go for luxury (Seabourn, Cunard) and expect peace and quiet.

Revelation wrote:
where it is socially acceptable if not expected to eat and drink to excess, and where it is normal to be forced through a shopping mall maze placed between the hotel lobby and the street.
I can see this from dedicated party cruises. Regular cruises? I've been in 4 and I haven't seen people overeating or getting drunk (my last cruise was the first time I saw one guy drunk and he was the exception rather than the norm). And as far as the shopping mall goes...isn't that what some major airports do? Heck, MSP has an area called the Mall.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Redd

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:24 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
A lot of the ferries here in Europe are quite luxury and also sold as cruises.

The ferries are mostly 24h drinking cruises, at least the Scandinavian ones...... I've never seen people drink like the Finns and Swedes, even the Russians think they're crazy... lol.

WIederling

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Cruise ships are the touchy feely equivalent to sitting at home and watching (geographic documentary) TV
while making the slave holder soul happy by having servants at your beck and call :-)
Murphy is an optimist

OA260

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:26 pm

stl07 wrote:

No the demography is actually the opposite. 3-4 day mini cruises are becoming more and more popular for those business professionals that do not have the time to take a full week or longer but want to experience a cruise rather then just go to a land based hotel.

stl07

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:33 pm

OA260 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

No the demography is actually the opposite. 3-4 day mini cruises are becoming more and more popular for those business professionals that do not have the time to take a full week or longer but want to experience a cruise rather then just go to a land based hotel.

True, I didn't think of that, but I guess it's all line dependent. The term booze cruise didn't come up without reason

OA260

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:53 pm

stl07 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

True, I didn't think of that, but I guess it's all line dependent. The term booze cruise didn't come up without reason

You are correct in that it can be line dependent for example Carnival have been known to be rowdy on mini cruises especially at certain times of the year but again not to make too much of a generalisation they have lots of good cruises too. Other lines have attracted the ''wrong'' crowd and have been very quick to change the way they promote their drink packages. For example the Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas did a few mini cruise from Southampton UK and had All Inclusive drink packages. After a lot of complaints that a minority were causing others to feel uncomfortable they pulled the package and now they are only pay as you go on 3-4 nights. Cruise lines generally do not want to attract that type of client which often puts off their bread and butter loyal repeats.

I have done over 40 cruises including a few mini ones and I have to say I have never come across any issues luckily.

northstardc4m

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:08 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

johns624 wrote:
Not all cruises are Caribbean party boats.
You get what you pay for. Go on an economic cruise like a Carnival cruise, and it's likely going to be party all the time. Go on a more expensive cruise like Princess or Holland America, and it'll likely be slower paced. Go for luxury (Seabourn, Cunard) and expect peace and quiet.

Revelation wrote:
where it is socially acceptable if not expected to eat and drink to excess, and where it is normal to be forced through a shopping mall maze placed between the hotel lobby and the street.
I can see this from dedicated party cruises. Regular cruises? I've been in 4 and I haven't seen people overeating or getting drunk (my last cruise was the first time I saw one guy drunk and he was the exception rather than the norm). And as far as the shopping mall goes...isn't that what some major airports do? Heck, MSP has an area called the Mall.

:shakehead: :confused:

I've been on 4 Carnival Cruises... never felt it was a "party all the time" even in the Caribbean... nor is Norwegian (2 cruises)... And I wouldn't call Princess or Holland America any more luxurious than Carnival, the difference is the entertainment is keyed to an older crowd more, but honestly 3 Princess Cruises, 1 HA, 2 Norwegian, 2 RC and 1 Celebrity... I'll pick Carnival overall everything square, best value for same service. We don't do 3 day hops Miami-Bahamas, we do 6+ night cruises, done the Caribbean many times, been to many many islands, and never ever felt like a druken party slosh... sure I drink and get buzzed but I've only once seen someone overly drunk on a cruise, and it was a bridesmaid at her friends Staggette! People get buzzed, people drink, people eat, people get HAPPY, RELAXED, Enjoy themselves... you know, behave like people on vacation!

Never really found the shopping areas to be "a maze" either... at worst it's 5-6 shops I've seen (Jewelery, Watches (those 2 combined on smaller ships), Candy/Chocolate shop, Souvenirs and essentials, and maybe a separate womens accessories/clothing and mens clothing store. And usually very easy to navigate right through and avoid if you prefer by going a deck lower or higher. The Casino tends to be more annoying on most ships... and even that is ridiculously easy to walk through in most cases.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

flyingclrs727

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:58 am

Cruises are a form of tourism not practical transportation. Even re-positioning cruises are way more expensive than airlines for transatlantic travel.

Beardown91737

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:36 am

We have been on a handful of cruises, some between Florida and islands like the Bahamas, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We took a repositoning cruise from Vancouver to San Fran. Some of the older (not us at the time) passengers had boarded in Alaska and were set to take the entire trip through the Panama Canal to Miami. My wife loves ships so much that the canal cruise might be in our future in a decade or so.

We used a ship as our base for our first overseas trip. Two nights in London, then a ride to Barcelona on Vueling, overnight in Barcelona, and on the ship to Ajaccio (Corsica), Rome, Florence, Genoa, Cannes, Palma, and back to Barcelona. Then Vueling to Paris for a few days, Eurostar to London, and UA back to EWR. We had a flight back to DAL on WN the following evening, but spent the day at Liberty State Park in NJ, which was an unexpected surprise. We intentionally avoided cruises with "at sea" days, and got to see lots of places in Europe and didn't have to worry about getting from one place to the next, or where to stay in each city we visited.

We also know where we want to visit again, and not just in Europe. This summer we are going to follow up on our desire to return to Grand Cayman. It was a stop on our 25th anniversary cruise, We always wanted to go back, and this year for our 40th we will return by air. We will also return to the places we visited in Europe and will know what we want to see there.

cskok8 wrote:

The Queen Mary was a Transatlantic Liner in the days when ships were the main method of crossing the Atlantic. It was used for troop transport during the Second World War, including transporting troops to Australia for training.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

zrs70

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:09 pm

Airstud wrote:
txjim wrote:
Did you seriously think that cruises exist to be an efficient mode of transportation? You refer to the "magic of the sea"

Er, it was BWIAirport, not I, who somehow made this about "efficient" transportation. I was all about magic of the sea from the start.

What's the fun of being in an airplane if you can see the land below you?

Is there no magic for an astronaut seeing the earth from the moon?
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

johns624

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Just water is boring. It needs to be a combination. I'm a naval history buff and I'm going on a cruise in June where two of my highlights will be going down the English Channel and through the Straits of Gibraltar.

royalswazi

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:48 am

Cruises are for leisure. Back in the sixties, cruises were a realistic alternative for travel over long distances. Nowadays, the majority of cruises are sold to people who get seasick from looking at the sea going to completely uninteresting destinations like Grand Turk while playing bingo.

OA260

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:54 am

johns624 wrote:
my highlights will be going through the Straits of Gibraltar.

Great experience Ive done it a few times and never fails to impress. Hopefully you get clear skies. Some great panoramic photos can be got of both sides if you are able to get to the forward part of the ship on top deck.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:00 am

Do cruise ships have windows/portholes under the waterline, so you can see sharks and octopuses* and whales?

*gross
Pancakes are delicious.

northstardc4m

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Airstud wrote:
Do cruise ships have windows/portholes under the waterline, so you can see sharks and octopuses* and whales?

*gross

No. Not passenger areas either usually... Deck 0 is waterline, lowest deck in the "passenger area" of most ships is 3 or 4, and even then that's usually just the gangway areas (no accommodation rooms or anything).

Last ship I was on (Norwegian Epic) as i recall deck 4 had the doctors office/sick bay, baggage room and security, gangways along with the lower kids zone exit forward and lower level of one dining room all way the aft but nothing else and you couldn't get from one to the other via 4, you had to go up to 5 which was where the lower theater entrance, art gallery, barber, ice bar, coffee bar, etc were.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ken777

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:31 am

johns624 wrote:
Just water is boring. It needs to be a combination. I'm a naval history buff and I'm going on a cruise in June where two of my highlights will be going down the English Channel and through the Straits of Gibraltar.

Water can be anything but boring. From all of he wide range of colorist the different Seas you can encounter. I've seen fantastic seas flat as glass in the middle of a "cruise" from the Tonkin Gulf to Perth to some pretty heavy seas that kept out cruise moving in all directions.

On the history side the English Channel does have some living history for many - the D Day Invasion. We went there from the land side (on a river cruise from Paris) another were so many emotions. The US Military Cemetery was the most emotional - all o those graves, some with name and some "Known Only To God". What really got me was the village down the street have the locals that tend to the Unknown Graves. There were many with a flower that had been laid a day of so before and as we left there were local villagers walking in with fresh flowers. Very emotional.

As for Gibraltar, are you goin on one of those ships that have the Ancient Mysteries of the Deep ceremonies? And are you a Shellback or a Pollywog? I was initiated while crossing the Equator, which was far easier and safer than the Ancient Rituals.

c933103

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Once upon a time I have taken a short cruise ship tour that will simply navigate toward the open ocean, have some performance and party and such, and then take us back to the original port of departure on the next day
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

Ken777

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 pm

c933103 wrote:
Once upon a time I have taken a short cruise ship tour that will simply navigate toward the open ocean, have some performance and party and such, and then take us back to the original port of departure on the next day

That actually sounds like a great idea for those who live close enough to justify getting to the ship for an overnighter. Especially interesting would be "Theme Cruises" with smaller markets than longer cruises. Something like a Punk Rock Overnighter with 4 or 5 bands playing, using an early departure.