seb146

Re: Do we need Communism in US?

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:27 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
Yes, and then I corrected your misinformation. The reason it costs more to rent a U-Haul from California to Texas than the other way around is because a lot more people are moving from California to Texas.

Period. Full stop. End of story.

You are welcome to your delusions about it having to do with the respective dimensions of California sleeper sofas or whatever nonsense you’re peddling, but you’re just factually wrong and I’m not interested in indulging your delusions Tugg.

So you don't care WHY people in California are charged more. You are giddy that they are. You want people to find a better life in places like Texas but look down your nose at people from California.

How is that air around Utopian Houston? Still toxic from the oil fires? Or is that healthy and of no concern to anyone because it is better in Texas?

In any event, EVERYONE in California can afford anything anyone wants to charge, right FF? That is your premise.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Tugger

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:29 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
Yes, and then I corrected your misinformation. The reason it costs more to rent a U-Haul from California to Texas than the other way around is because a lot more people are moving from California to Texas.

You are welcome to your delusions about it having to do with the respective dimensions of California sleeper sofas or whatever nonsense you’re peddling, but you’re just factually wrong and I’m not interested in indulging your delusions Tugg.

You do enjoy slinging words don't you.

The simple fact is that California is very economically strong and has a growing population. And in fact it is growing enough that people are (thankfully) constantly moving out (and it's population is still growing). And importantly it contributes economic dynamism to the nation (just as every other state does).

Texas is not better than California, and California is not better than Texas. So you can bloviate all you want and have a limited view on the situation, but that is not on me.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

N757ST

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:32 am

In addition... you stated you have a degree in history... what was your plan for that degree? I know some that go to law school etc, but a history degree sounds to me like one of those bull$hit I don’t have a plan degrees that often lead people to working at a big box store. Degrees in the medical field, engineering, etc have real world income potential. It seems you are bent out of shape because you chose a poor education path, and instead of changing trajectories, you just want the government to take care of your mistakes. That’s kind of lame.

N757ST

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:38 am

I’ve also worked my time at big box stores, holidays and all, paying for my flight training in high school and college. It wasn’t my happiest of memories as my college friends partied every Saturday and I was working at staples, but yeah, I’m in a damn good place today because of it.

FreequentFlier

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:31 am

BN747 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
BN747 wrote:

You bit concrete...there's a huge (affordable) housing shortage in the LA area and SF.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/206 ... alifornia/
Resident population in California from 1960 to 2018 (in millions)
2018 - 39.56 million
2017 - 39.4 million
2016 - 39.21 million
2015 - 38.95 million
2014 - 38.63 million
...and the numbers decrease with each predceding year.

...but please continue chomping on Fox News (or whatever misdirecting source you 'bite' into) for your info, proving very healthy for your brain.

BN747

What you forgot to mention is that California’s population is only growing because it’s share of foreign born population is growing. Domestically there’s a big exodus of residents.

And you act as if California is this unwilling victim in the housing crisis.

Texas is growing much faster than California...and yet, it has no housing crisis. That’s not coincidence.

1) Tugg is right, you really haven't the slightest idea of what is happening here.

2) I don't know with death/birth ratio is...but people here aren't having kids anywhere near what they were 40 years ago. People everywhere (urban America) have done the math and having kids is very serious financial concern, and many aren't doing it..let a lone getting married.

3) The cost of living here is a huge deterrent..but people still keep coming - and they always will, it's California.

BN747

1) that’s literally what every California apologist says. “You don’t understand! You don’t understand!”

We understand just fine, and so do nearly half the residents of your state who want to leave it.

2) that’s an issue that isn’t unique to California. Try again.

3) the cost of living issue is self inflicted - you did it to yourself. Again, Texas and Florida have many more people moving there...and yet don’t have a housing crisis.

BN747

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:45 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
BN747 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

What you forgot to mention is that California’s population is only growing because it’s share of foreign born population is growing. Domestically there’s a big exodus of residents.

And you act as if California is this unwilling victim in the housing crisis.

Texas is growing much faster than California...and yet, it has no housing crisis. That’s not coincidence.

1) Tugg is right, you really haven't the slightest idea of what is happening here.

2) I don't know with death/birth ratio is...but people here aren't having kids anywhere near what they were 40 years ago. People everywhere (urban America) have done the math and having kids is very serious financial concern, and many aren't doing it..let a lone getting married.

3) The cost of living here is a huge deterrent..but people still keep coming - and they always will, it's California.

BN747

1) that’s literally what every California apologist says. “You don’t understand! You don’t understand!”

We understand just fine, and so do nearly half the residents of your state who want to leave it.

3) the cost of living issue is self inflicted - you did it to yourself. Again, Texas and Florida have many more people moving there...and yet don’t have a housing crisis.

Dude, argue all you want (with yourself) I've seen the best of 41 of the 50 states. I don't know where you live but I know it's nowhere near as pleasant as my community for the last 20+years, unless you're posting from beach house 10 mins north of Rio fe Janeiro (then I'm jealous) . But for you to even remotely suggest I'm somehow out of touch in my own state is ballsy, I know this entire state better than you in every possible way and just cannot see CA as you do - the empirical evidence is simply not aligned with your thinking....were you like evicted from here or something?

I have an idea, there's a high probability that I've been to your neck of the woods...so what state might that be? I'm happy to share my thoughts on that place.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

FreequentFlier

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:55 am

Tugger wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

The simple fact is that California is very economically strong and has a growing population. And in fact it is growing enough that people are (thankfully) constantly moving out (and it's population is still growing). And importantly it contributes economic dynamism to the nation (just as every other state does).

Texas is not better than California, and California is not better than Texas. So you can bloviate all you want and have a limited view on the situation, but that is not on me.

Tugg

If California is so great, then why do nearly half the people who live there want to leave it? I always ask this question. I never get a response. You guys always just dodge the elephant in the room.

Look, I get the hometown pride and all, and I’m sure it’s tough to hear, but California isn’t all that great anymore, and increasingly it’s Californians who are saying that. I’m sure if you’ve got inherited wealth, or an inherited mansion, or you’re a tech oligarch, it’s a solid place to live, but it’s a truly horrible place to raise a family if you’re even remotely middle class in the 21st century.

Californians hate it and so does the rest of the country: https://www.laweekly.com/news/californi ... ng-2398458

“California is America's Most-Hated State, According to Public Policy Polling”

Supply and demand fundamentals apply to U-Hauls just as much as they apply elsewhere. You’re kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.

FreequentFlier

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:02 am

BN747 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Dude, argue all you want (with yourself) I've seen the best of 41 of the 50 states. I don't know where you live but I know it's nowhere near as pleasant as my community for the last 20+years, unless you're posting from beach house 10 mins north of Rio fe Janeiro (then I'm jealous) . But for you to even remotely suggest I'm somehow out of touch in my own state is ballsy, I know this entire state better than you in every possible way and just cannot see CA as you do - the empirical evidence is simply not aligned with your thinking....were you like evicted from here or something?

I have an idea, there's a high probability that I've been to your neck of the woods...so what state might that be? I'm happy to share my thoughts on that place.

BN747

Illinois and Florida - increasingly the latter.

No, I have not lived in nor have I ever wanted to live in California. I’ve traveled there for business many times, though not lately because those businesses have...you’re probably picking up on the theme here...relocated out of California.

I suppose your state serves its purposes - as a monument for other states not to follow, unless the intent is to eliminate the middle class entirely.

You’ve got nice weather at least.

BN747

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:17 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
BN747 wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

BN747

Illinois and Florida - increasingly the latter.

No, I have not lived in nor have I ever wanted to live in California. I’ve traveled there for business many times, though not lately because those businesses have...you’re probably picking up on the theme here...relocated out of California.

I suppose your state serves its purposes - as a monument for other states not to follow, unless the intent is to eliminate the middle class entirely.

You’ve got nice weather at least.

There's much more than nice weather and obviously you missed a lot to only come away with 'nice weather'.

Illinois, been there many times and the only time I left Chicago was to drive down to a Final Four game because I did not want t waste a weekend night in Indianapolis when Chicago was clearly the place to be. One thing I'll say for Chicago is the urbanites there are the coolest city people I've ever met in the US, more so than San Francisco and Seattle.

Florida, been up n down most cities linked to the I-95, I like Lauderdale and SoBe along with the Keys...but have that, If I HAD to leave my part of LA - and choose between some other part of LA or Illinois or Florida, I'd bite the bullet and suffer in 'the Valley' (Encino, Reseda, etc) over Il & FL.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:56 am

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

I think that's summed up very well. Having lived in both places, I think this is a fair assessment.

To wit, I'd go back to TX if I had to (Well, DFW at any rate), and do just fine there, but Los Angeles is a significantly better place where most preferences line up.

FrequentFlier wrote:
If California is so great, then why do nearly half the people who live there want to leave it?

If Unicorns are so great, why does their shit smell like sandpaper?, and other things I just completely made up for 500, Alex...

FrequentFlier wrote:
Look, I get the hometown pride and all, and I’m sure it’s tough to hear, but California isn’t all that great anymore, and increasingly it’s Californians who are saying that. I’m sure if you’ve got inherited wealth, or an inherited mansion, or you’re a tech oligarch, it’s a solid place to live, but it’s a truly horrible place to raise a family if you’re even remotely middle class in the 21st century.

What? Look man, I don't know what your deal is or anything, but it's really not that big a thing out here... I don't know what you try to do for a living, but I'm just an Engineer. Hell, I'm still using my A&P license for my side job. And I had no trouble (with average credit, no less), buying a 1900sf home in Redondo Beach. I also pay a pretty decent chunk for Child Support (and the associated out of state visitations), have a not insignificant drinking habit, and like to go away on weekends. What I don't have is an inheritance, inherited 'mansion', or anything like that.

And as you can guess, I'm not exactly a threat to the 'tech oligarchy' anytime soon. What I also don't have is the ability to remember the last time I had any real struggles. At least the kind you mention.

This is on a perfectly normal salary. No royalties coming in from somewhere, no lotto winnings, no ridiculous lines of credit, nothing.

I don't know why you think it's that hard. I'm not even an exception either. In fact, I think it's funny how much your postings simply fail to line up with what the folks here in South Bay (a very typical Southern CA community) are thinking.

The ones that want to be somewhere else either are or are in work for it. They're not sitting around singing their woes.

Honestly, I really think you're just projecting a bag of insecurities onto CA at large. If you're any kind of normal person who can hack it, CA is not that hard a place to live.

BN747 wrote:
...but have that, If I HAD to leave my part of LA - and choose between some other part of LA or Illinois or Florida, I'd bite the bullet and suffer in 'the Valley' (Encino, Reseda, etc) over Il & FL.

BN747

I guess I'd do Valley if I had to. Primary job has me up there more and more these days. And from what I see, it's not terrible. Not South Bay or Westside, but it would do in the right places (I'd probably cheat and go Thousand Oaks or Grenada Hills if I had to live there though).
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

Tugger

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:00 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
If California is so great, then why do nearly half the people who live there want to leave it? I always ask this question. I never get a response. You guys always just dodge the elephant in the room.

Californians hate it and so does the rest of the country: https://www.laweekly.com/news/californi ... ng-2398458

“California is America's Most-Hated State, According to Public Policy Polling”

Supply and demand fundamentals apply to U-Hauls just as much as they apply elsewhere. You’re kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.

Well first we are WAAAAY off topic, but because I am enjoying myself:

I am not here singing California's praises over other states. In fact I have and do think California is as good as any other state, not better than. Enjoy where you live, please, I support you in that.

So you dug up a 7 year old poll? How about one from two years ago:
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 747032.php

Gosh! It shows that Texas is the most hated stated! Wow, guess it is a fact.

As to your anecdote (no doubt somewhere supported by a poll you found or at least your personal opinion) that Californians dislike the state and find it a terrible place to raise a family: I'm a happy middle class family man who is raising a successful family here and can't think of another place that I would rather do this. Not that it can't be done elsewhere or that people loving raising their families in their states aren't just as good and successful. But for this anecdotal reference, based on actual experience here at least, I can well attest to it being pretty awesome.

Now do we have problems? Oh hell yes, one of those being an over weighted Dem balance across the state legislatures (who for some reason think they need to save everyone or lead the way for America or some such). But California will solve it's own problems as best it can and in general do so while still providing a net positive of money to the rest of the nation. California is crazy fortunate to have the resources and environment and people it has.

But again other states are just fine too.

And finally, to return to your original question which I did not answer the way you wanted (and apparently demand). California is a strong vibrant growing state, and it has a net outflow of people due to its growth and dynamism. That means when someone moves out they have more in general than other when then move in. That is in addition to more people moving out due to a growing population. You seem to only be capable of some simplistic thought of "Ugggh.. two of same truck goes out for any one truck going in... ugggh!" It's a bit more than that. But whatever, go ahead and verbally try to jump on me and tell me I don't get it or some such.

You want real data? Go look at sites like this: https://www.move.org/moving-stats-facts/

And guess what? neither California nor Texas or the most moved out of or most moved into states at this time. wow... mind blowing isn't it?

Here's other interesting sites to read:
https://www.mymovingreviews.com/move/mo ... fographic/
https://journal.firsttuesday.us/the-peo ... tes/61173/
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/movers/ ... -west.html

Anyway, I do wish you well and hope you do enjoy where you live and your life. I know I do.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

787Driver

Re: We need Communism.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:10 am

dik909 wrote:
787Driver wrote:
dik909 wrote:

...or Nordic style natural resources. ;)

Do you mean Norwegian style natural resources?

Nope, I meant Nordic.

Very curious to know what natural sources you think the other nordic countries possess that other countries don't. Please elaborate.

seat64k

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:14 am

seb146 wrote:
Low band width takes forever to download stuff. It can be done. Fine.

I said text resources. I was specific. The kind of text that could be downloaded in a reasonable time in 1995 on a 56K baud modem.

seb146 wrote:
Learning things that only take "time and effort" take away from earning money to pay for things like internet and rent and food. The choice is paying bills or learning a new career. We can not do both. Minimum wage is not enough to do both.

Do these people work 24/7? I think you're missing the point. No one said this would be easy. Heck, by going with studying on a mobile device, I picked an unreasonably hard option, precisely because know someone who did exactly that. But that's besides the point. We're not all dealt the same cards, and it's not fair. But you're not going to win anything if you're just making excuses for why you're not playing.

seb146 wrote:
There are too many careers out there that require more than simply logging on. Medical, aviation, truck driver are three in demand jobs that require actual in person experience and money and, for many people, living someplace they do not currently live.

Too many? Sure. All of them? Not even close.

seb146 wrote:
Yes, America has plenty of opportunity. If you come here with some sort of higher education and/or have money already. People who come to this country for opportunities have already set out on a career path. There are those lucky few in this country who work their behinds off to get out of poverty. Barack Obama is one great example. But, for every Barack Obama, there are hundreds, maybe even thousads, of people who try and try and try and just can not get anything.

It sounds like you have no knowledge of life in America for the working poor. It sounds like you have knowledge of immigrating to Europe. That is a whole different ball game and has zero to do with the United States.

Maybe you're right - I'm underestimating what it's like to be poor in the Us. But if young Obama's circumstances is your idea of "poverty", you're only strengthening the perception that "poor" in America is a much easier ride than "poor" in the developing world.

continental004 wrote:
Really though, why shouldn't retail employees enjoy evenings like the privileged can? Why must big-box retailers be open until 10, 11pm or even 24 hours?

You can shop online on your office computer if you "don't have time" or set your priorities straight and make time.

OK, so you don't want to work outside of business hours, therefore other people will have to work outside of business hours. Because that's what going from a click on a website to groceries at your front door takes. Or maybe you can quit whining and find another job.

Actually, I'm not going to let you get away with this: You whine about "the privileged":

continental004 wrote:
I actually was a history major in college (doubled with political science). History is taught with a bias in AmeriKKKa, always demonizing anything that isn't capitalist nor imperialist.

YOU ARE THE PRIVILEGED.

seb146

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:18 pm

seat64k"[quote="seb146 wrote:
Yes, America has plenty of opportunity. If you come here with some sort of higher education and/or have money already. People who come to this country for opportunities have already set out on a career path. There are those lucky few in this country who work their behinds off to get out of poverty. Barack Obama is one great example. But, for every Barack Obama, there are hundreds, maybe even thousads, of people who try and try and try and just can not get anything.

It sounds like you have no knowledge of life in America for the working poor. It sounds like you have knowledge of immigrating to Europe. That is a whole different ball game and has zero to do with the United States.

Maybe you're right - I'm underestimating what it's like to be poor in the Us. But if young Obama's circumstances is your idea of "poverty", you're only strengthening the perception that "poor" in America is a much easier ride than "poor" in the developing world.[/quote]

I want to touch on something before I get to my main point:

To go to a proper school to learn something like welding or accounting, there are many costs involved. I took accounting in California. The actual classes did not cost that much. It was community college. It did sting financially, but I made it work. It was the accessories that killed me. Books, pens, notebooks, calculator, etc. To get a degree in anything, California requires students to complete English, math, humanities, and science. For a simple certificate, California only requires specific courses.

It was still expensive.

My main point, however, is that I grew up poor and white in far right wing evangelical America. Like we had to decided how cold was cold enough to light the furnace poor. Like "just sew the hole in your jeans and they will be fine" poor. And we still made too much for food stamps. For a developing nation, we would be kings. For America, we were the worst of the worst. I draw from that experience and this is why I have the opinions I have and live how I live.

I have never been to Europe, so I can not go on and on about economic conditions there. I can only talk about what I see and experience in the United States.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Tugger wrote:
And guess what? neither California nor Texas or the most moved out of or most moved into states at this time. wow... mind blowing isn't it?

To be fair, you see NV, OR, and AZ being #2 to #4 on the list, and it's those "d**n liberal California people" that are moving in to "ruin those state". :white: :white: :duck: :duck:

P.S. We're getting WAY off topic. Somehow a (trollish) thread about Communism turns into Cal-bashing and Cal-defending :white: :white:

Gonzalo

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:14 pm

continental004 wrote:
I am so sick of our society that so blatantly favors the rich and corporations! Our society so passively lets the rich buy their way into the best universities, lets the rich buy their way out of justice, lets corporations have an iron grip on workers who suppress their rights and quality and life, and more! What we need to eliminate this problem is embrace COMMUNISM! A good start is to embrace people like Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who fight for the PEOPLE, not for the rich and not for corporations!

The free market isn’t creating jobs (especially not quality, well-paid, full time jobs with benefits) nor is it giving much opportunity for people to lift themselves out of poverty.I have a college degree and years of consistent work experience and it is damn near impossible to find a good well-paying job. I worked at a major retailer and I missed Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve (which was the last one when my grandpa was alive) all because of corporate greed. I regret not calling out. And if I chose to, there should be no repercussions for missing family holidays. **** corporate greed and **** corporate America.

I would rather live under communism than in our twisted capitalist society of the United States of AmeriKKKa.

I know the U.S. have a lot of problems and are far from being the ideal society, but one of the blessings you have is precisely the very low chance of - suffer the disgrace of - fall under a communist regime. Communism is for the countries the same an aggressive cancer is for a human body. Look into Venezuela right now and you will understand. Reading your posts I can see you advocate for some sort of social equity, well, as others said before in this thread, the capitalism can be the best option when the market and the rules of the game are fair and well play ( look into Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, etc., all capitalist countries ).
Communism also can generate equity, but the kind of equity where everybody is equally poor, and the quality of life every single day can be tragic, I mean, there are people dying right now as we talk about this because the hospitals are in darkness and without any equipment, again, look into Venezuela today...
As a final and personal comment, two things :
1.- Your personal situation, no matter how bad or good can be, is consequence of YOUR personal decisions/actions/omissions from the past. If you live in a tent and you have nothing to eat, or if you are a tycoon with a private island and a Gulfstream to get there, is a consequence of your decisions, actions or omissions. Stop blaming the country, the system or the others for your personal situation.
2.- Reading your last sentence you seem to be decided to live under a communist regime, what are you waiting for ??? Start swimming to Cuba, after decades and millions of people swimming from Cuba to USA, you will be on the Guinness Book of Records, as the first person in history swimming in the opposite direction ( that should be a clue for you about what communism means ).

Rgds.
G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

bennett123

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:17 pm

On point 1, I think you are stretching things a bit.

dfwjim1

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:17 pm

continental004 wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:
You work in retail but are surprised that you have to work during the busiest season that actually keeps them afloat?

There’s a lot of jobs that require holiday work - many of them who frequent this forum, all of whom chose their line of work.

What’s your major?

Most airlines aren't an essential public service and thus can choose not to operate on holidays. El Al doesn't operate on the Jewish Sabbath. Even Ryanair doesn't fly on Christmas Day. Why shouldn' t retail employees enjoy holidays like the privileged can?

Wow...Ryanair doesn't fly on Christmas Day?!?

dik909

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:31 pm

787Driver wrote:
dik909 wrote:
787Driver wrote:

Do you mean Norwegian style natural resources?

Nope, I meant Nordic.

Very curious to know what natural sources you think the other nordic countries possess that other countries don't. Please elaborate.

If you'll simply re-read my comment(s), you will see that I never once insinuated that the Nordic countries possess natural resources which others don't -- as if they're the sole guardians of some secret cache of unique resources/wealth. C'mon now...

My "Nordic style natural resources" comment was actually a reference to the fat quantities they possess. Take Sweden, for example, with all of their mining, and offshore gas platforms, which are nationalized and make possible all of the social safety nets that Swedes enjoy. (Disclaimer: I say this being married to a half-Swede).

787Driver

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:12 pm

dik909 wrote:
787Driver wrote:
dik909 wrote:

Nope, I meant Nordic.

If you'll simply re-read my comment(s), you will see that I never once insinuated that the Nordic countries possess natural resources which others don't -- as if they're the sole guardians of some secret cache of unique resources/wealth. C'mon now...

My "Nordic style natural resources" comment was actually a reference to the fat quantities they possess. Take Sweden, for example, with all of their mining, and offshore gas platforms, which are nationalized and make possible all of the social safety nets that Swedes enjoy. (Disclaimer: I say this being married to a half-Swede).

And what about Denmark then?

dik909

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:34 pm

787Driver wrote:
dik909 wrote:
787Driver wrote:

What about it ?

You seem to be overly-eager to have an internet argument..

787Driver

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:06 pm

dik909 wrote:
787Driver wrote:
dik909 wrote:

What about it ?

Just genuinely curious about how you think the Scandinavian welfare model is financed. Only Norway has a large oil fund.

I just want to know if your argumentation is flawed or not since it’s important regarding whether it would be possible to implement a similar welfare model in other parts of the world.

I don’t see how that becomes an internet argument, but online fora are used for having debates, don’t you agree?

You seem quite aggressive when asked an apparently difficult question.

continental004
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:52 am

Gonzalo wrote:
I know the U.S. have a lot of problems and are far from being the ideal society, but one of the blessings you have is precisely the very low chance of - suffer the disgrace of - fall under a communist regime. Communism is for the countries the same an aggressive cancer is for a human body. Look into Venezuela right now and you will understand. Reading your posts I can see you advocate for some sort of social equity, well, as others said before in this thread, the capitalism can be the best option when the market and the rules of the game are fair and well play ( look into Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, etc., all capitalist countries ).
Communism also can generate equity, but the kind of equity where everybody is equally poor, and the quality of life every single day can be tragic, I mean, there are people dying right now as we talk about this because the hospitals are in darkness and without any equipment, again, look into Venezuela today...
As a final and personal comment, two things :
1.- Your personal situation, no matter how bad or good can be, is consequence of YOUR personal decisions/actions/omissions from the past. If you live in a tent and you have nothing to eat, or if you are a tycoon with a private island and a Gulfstream to get there, is a consequence of your decisions, actions or omissions. Stop blaming the country, the system or the others for your personal situation.
2.- Reading your last sentence you seem to be decided to live under a communist regime, what are you waiting for ??? Start swimming to Cuba, after decades and millions of people swimming from Cuba to USA, you will be on the Guinness Book of Records, as the first person in history swimming in the opposite direction ( that should be a clue for you about what communism means ).

Rgds.
G.

1. Venezuela is not a communist country.
2. Venezuela is not a communist country.
3. Actually, the system has more to do with the poor man living in a tent and the rich man on a private plane than you would like to think. The "tycoon" probably inherited his wealth or started out with a small loan of one million dollars.
4. Everyone in Cuba has good healthcare.

B777LRF

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:32 am

dik909 wrote:

I'll take Sweden, for example. The GDP of Sweden is around 540BN USD, of which mining consist of around 4BN. So, in actual fact, it's around 1% and thus not very significant. As for Swedish 'nationalised offshore gas platforms', you'd be hard pressed to find one for the the following reasons: 1) Sweden doesn't have a nationalised gas industry and 2) the Swedish offshore gas industry is virtually non-existent in Swedish waters (they're all in Danish & Norwegian ditto). I do believe you may have gotten Norway and Sweden confused, which must be rather embarrassing for someone married to a half-Sweden (unless the other half is Noggie, of course).

About the only natural resources you'll find in the Nordics are gas (Norway and Denmark), timber (Sweden and Finland), iron ore (Sweden) and hydro (Norway). As a matter of fact, it it wasn't for the (relatively small) gas and oil reserves of Denmark, that country is utterly devoid of natural resources.

So, no, it's no the natural resources who've made the Nordics what they are today, but rather the social-democratic bedrocks those nations are standing on. And it's worked so well, those nations are constantly in the top of every single survey made to measure how well off the people are. Granted, we're far behind the US in 'number of incarcerated citizens' or 'people who believe angels are real or 'number of guns per capita', yet somehow have managed to wrangle quite a comfortable living out of it anyway.
Signature. You just read one.

continental004
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:15 pm

N757ST wrote:
In addition... you stated you have a degree in history... what was your plan for that degree? I know some that go to law school etc, but a history degree sounds to me like one of those bull$hit I don’t have a plan degrees that often lead people to working at a big box store. Degrees in the medical field, engineering, etc have real world income potential. It seems you are bent out of shape because you chose a poor education path, and instead of changing trajectories, you just want the government to take care of your mistakes. That’s kind of lame.

Did I have to have a plan? What I was told when I was in high school was that any degree would open up many opportunities.

Also I'm not good in math. Those of us who aren't good in math deserve good jobs too.

L410Turbolet

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:48 pm

Not all college degrees are created equal.

N757ST

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:17 pm

continental004 wrote:
N757ST wrote:

Did I have to have a plan? What I was told when I was in high school was that any degree would open up many opportunities.

Also I'm not good in math. Those of us who aren't good in math deserve good jobs too.

So it’s the everyone’s else’s fault that you got a bull$hit degree? You’re bad at one subject matter and we should pity you and you should be rewarded with a good job even though you have no usable skills?

There are lots and lots of fields out there that don’t require you to be math heavy in your concentration. Nursing, Physician Assistant, Aviation (mechanic or pilot... trust me you don’t need much math), marketing, real estate, management (buisness administration), Management information systems, teaching, law school, law enforcement, sales, etc etc etc.

But you chose history and now you’re stuck in a big box store. Go get your MBA, or go back and get your masters in something useful, and stop asking the rest of society to subsidize your crappy decision making.

WIederling

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:17 pm

continental004 wrote:

Not for being bad with math.

You'd have to bring some compensatory competence into the equation.

Then I'd think being bad with math would indicate that you have difficulties with structured thinking and analysis.
There isn't really any further demand for politicians and other fast talkers.
Murphy is an optimist

FreequentFlier

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 am

continental004 wrote:
N757ST wrote:

You don’t seem to be particularly good at history, philosophy, or economics either.

DeltaMD90

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:22 am

continental004 wrote:
N757ST wrote:

Instead of complaining on a.net, why don't you go out and work on developing a new skill? Yeah it's hard and yeah it takes time.

EVEN if the US somehow went communist and even if it doesn't collapse/not do so well like every other communist country, that would take many, many years. Might as well get working at making yourself more marketable and productive in the meantime.

And I fail to see how your bad decision at degree picking is our problem. As seat64k pointed out, you having the opportunity to get a double major makes you pretty privileged in the world. Immigrants to this country with a lot less possessions, money, and privilege make something out of themselves and complain a lot less. Get to work!

Tugger

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:21 am

continental004 wrote:

I don't know you but your posts have you complaining a lot, whining I might even say.

I am not communist nor do I find it a functional-in-reality theory but if you were a communist you would have to accept that you would work as best you can, with maximum effort based on your skills.

Each person works to the peak ability and in their best skill to maximize the success of society and each is rewarded equally for their work and effort. Whether digging a ditch or developing new mathematics theorems or running a top performing sports franchise, each person contributes fully, whether physically or mentally or whatever effort you can apply. Not whining or complaining, just accepting and doing what you can and getting an equal share of what society has created.

Tugg

seat64k

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:06 pm

continental004 wrote:

I was told the same thing in high school [1]. But I can't blame them, because:

• When they finished university, it was probably true for them, and
  • They were a self-selected group, who studied to become teachers, at a time when:
    a) there was a demand for teachers, and
    b) the cost of studying, and teacher salaries were such that, even if a teacher had funded all their studies, food & accommodation through loans, they could afford to repay their loans *and* live a reasonable life.
  • Even at the time we got this advice, it was probably still true.

Times have changed beyond their wildest imaginations. To the degree that their advice was sound, it is still upon us to know what the job prospects are in a particular field, what compromises we might have to make, and how to get hired.

There are a variety of jobs that require a history degree - finding those jobs is on you. The demands on us have changed, and for at least the last decade or two, the demand is very much to learn to distinguish between low and high value skills, and to continually pursue improvements in ourselves that make us valuable to others.

...pursue improvements in ourselves that make us valuable to others: especially relevant if you find yourself in a communist state.

[1] I'm pretty sure my teachers said "a degree" rather than "any degree". Because even back then, the variety of snarky or outright derogatory nicknames for some courses heavily suggests that it was common knowledge that they existed only to extract money from people who were destined to work unskilled or otherwise low paying jobs but whose parents could afford the tuition.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:09 am

continental004 wrote:
N757ST wrote:

Deserving doesn’t have anything to do with it. Can you produce a product/service of value to someone willing to pay for it? Pretty simple, really.

GF

FlapsOne

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:50 am

Aesma wrote:
Nordic style social democracy is what you're looking for.

That’s capitalism with a bloated welfare state.

FlapsOne

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:54 am

continental004 wrote:
N757ST wrote:

Nobody ‘deserves’ anything. We live in a meritocracy. If you want something? Earn it! Bring something to the equation. I’m not the best at maths but I know enough to get by. As mentioned previously not all degrees are created equal. A degree for using on radical left wing gender theory will not get you as far as say computing, teaching, social work degrees and so on. When you do get into the workplace you’re also in for a shock as not everyone shares the hard left values espoused in the educational system.

dik909

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:55 am

787Driver wrote:
dik909 wrote:
787Driver wrote:

What about it ?

Just genuinely curious about how you think the Scandinavian welfare model is financed. Only Norway has a large oil fund.

I just want to know if your argumentation is flawed or not since it’s important regarding whether it would be possible to implement a similar welfare model in other parts of the world.

I don’t see how that becomes an internet argument, but online fora are used for having debates, don’t you agree?

You seem quite aggressive when asked an apparently difficult question.

I seem aggressive ? Maybe you meant 'defensive' ? Personally, I'd say that the 'aggressive' tone is seeming to come from your end; after all, is it not you who keeps coming after me with more & more questions ??

You're an intelligent guy; I don't doubt that you can use "the Google" to look up Denmark's income tax rates and how they fund their welfare state, rather than try to press me into a corner in an attempt to make yourself look smart in a forum full of strangers whom you'll never meet.

B777LRF wrote:
dik909 wrote:

I'll take Sweden, for example. The GDP of Sweden is around 540BN USD, of which mining consist of around 4BN. So, in actual fact, it's around 1% and thus not very significant. As for Swedish 'nationalised offshore gas platforms', you'd be hard pressed to find one for the the following reasons: 1) Sweden doesn't have a nationalised gas industry and 2) the Swedish offshore gas industry is virtually non-existent in Swedish waters (they're all in Danish & Norwegian ditto). I do believe you may have gotten Norway and Sweden confused, which must be rather embarrassing for someone married to a half-Sweden (unless the other half is Noggie, of course).

About the only natural resources you'll find in the Nordics are gas (Norway and Denmark), timber (Sweden and Finland), iron ore (Sweden) and hydro (Norway). As a matter of fact, it it wasn't for the (relatively small) gas and oil reserves of Denmark, that country is utterly devoid of natural resources.

So, no, it's no the natural resources who've made the Nordics what they are today, but rather the social-democratic bedrocks those nations are standing on. And it's worked so well, those nations are constantly in the top of every single survey made to measure how well off the people are. Granted, we're far behind the US in 'number of incarcerated citizens' or 'people who believe angels are real or 'number of guns per capita', yet somehow have managed to wrangle quite a comfortable living out of it anyway.

Wow, quite a bit to dissect here, (notwithstanding the unwarranted snark).

Okay, I stand corrected on Sweden.

Still, you insist on implying that there is a connection between a nation's quality of life and the number of people who are incarcerated, belief in God/angels, and gun ownership. I'd like to point out that such assertions are utterly unfounded for a wide variety of reasons.

Firstly, Denmark incarcerates 65/100,000 individuals. What other countries are in the same range, or "better" ? Yemen (54/100,000). Bangladesh (53/100,000). Liberia (47/100,000). The Congo (27/100,000). So, as you can see, it is rather problematic for you to imply that there's any sort of correlation between incarceration rate and quality of life. Unless that's a burden of proof you want to assume ?

People who believe in angels ? You're clearly implying that the Scandinavian nations are "more enlightened" and better off for not believing in angels/God. This is also an extremely fallacious claim, because whether or not people believe in something has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not that thing actually exists. Some people don't believe that the earth is round; are they correct ? What's to stop me from implying a correlation between lack of belief in God and the skyrocketing mental health problems of Scandinavian countries ? A report authored by the Nordic Council of Ministers and the Happiness Research Institute in Copenhagen declared that, "We are seeing an epidemic of mental illness and loneliness reaching the shores of the Nordic countries." Twenty percent of adolescents in Denmark fulfill the clinical criteria for a diagnosis of depression. Norway saw a 40% increase over the five-year-period of young people seeking help for mental health difficulties. I'm not concluding that things in Scandinavia are bad, but just that they're not as rosy as you're claiming, and that there's definitely zero correlation between belief in God/angels and how advanced/happy a nation might be.

Gun ownership ? Irrelevant. Methinks you have not reflected at all about why the Founders might have composed the Second Amendment in the first place. Seriously, why would they give the masses the ability to commit an armed insurrection ?? Hint: an armed populace prevents tyranny. I'm not saying that because the majority of European countries are disarmed, therefore they're tyrannies. I'm saying that the possibility of tyranny becoming a reality is much higher in countries which have been effectively disarmed and propagandized into fearing guns (fear of the self & humanity). History has shown us this over & over again. I believe that good scholarship means exposing yourself to the strongest arguments against your own; to that end, I encourage you to read an essay titled 'Ethics From the Barrel of a Gun.' It's available online.

Btw, no, we do not need Communism anywhere.. ;P

787Driver

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 am

dik909 wrote:

I seem aggressive ? Maybe you meant 'defensive' ? Personally, I'd say that the 'aggressive' tone is seeming to come from your end; after all, is it not you who keeps coming after me with more & more questions ??

You're an intelligent guy; I don't doubt that you can use "the Google" to look up Denmark's income tax rates and how they fund their welfare state, rather than try to press me into a corner in an attempt to make yourself look smart in a forum full of strangers whom you'll never meet.

Nope I meant what I said. You still seem quite aggressive, by the way.

I see that you decided not to try to defend your wild claims, but rather decided to attack once again instead of just having a proper debate. To me that means that you were unable to defend your own claims. Fair enough, but let's keep the focus on what's being debated rather than your shortcomings.

dik909 wrote:
Okay, I stand corrected on Sweden.

Surprised you were willing to admit it, but I respect that.

Magog

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:34 am

Maybe you should learn to code.

dik909

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:47 am

787Driver wrote:

I see that you decided not to try to defend your wild claims, but rather decided to attack once again instead of just having a proper debate. To me that means that you were unable to defend your own claims. Fair enough, but let's keep the focus on what's being debated rather than your shortcomings.

You are free to think that, but don't forget that what "seems" and what "is" are often quite different things.

In what sense is me pointing you towards a resource to do your own research an "attack" ? If anything you could accuse me of deflection, but that was hardly an attack. C'mon now..

Or, maybe, just maybe, I have no interest in engaging in a protracted online debate with someone who's given me no good reason to think that they're actually on a relentless truth quest, but are rather more interested in a back-and-forth game of one-upmanship. Sorry, not into it. I won't loose any sleep over you thinking that I'm unable/unwilling to defend my claims. I'll simply direct you to Google once again and encourage you to do some research on Denmark's taxation in regards to how they fund their social welfare programs.

787Driver

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:14 pm

dik909 wrote:
787Driver wrote:

You are free to think that, but don't forget that what "seems" and what "is" are often quite different things.

In what sense is me pointing you towards a resource to do your own research an "attack" ? If anything you could accuse me of deflection, but that was hardly an attack. C'mon now..

Or, maybe, just maybe, I have no interest in engaging in a protracted online debate with someone who's given me no good reason to think that they're actually on a relentless truth quest, but are rather more interested in a back-and-forth game of one-upmanship. Sorry, not into it. I won't loose any sleep over you thinking that I'm unable/unwilling to defend my claims. I'll simply direct you to Google once again and encourage you to do some research on Denmark's taxation in regards to how they fund their social welfare programs.

Do me a favor and go outside and breathe some fresh air. Goodbye.

dik909

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 pm

787Driver wrote:
Do me a favor and go outside and breathe some fresh air. Goodbye.

Done. Tschuss !!

SQ22

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Thread went off topic and will be locked