FermiParadox
Topic Author

What MLB Team Flies the Farthest

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:12 pm

Saw this article posted here last year and a lot of people enjoyed it so I subscribed and figured I would post it here when it came out for this year.

https://www.allmysportsteamssuck.com/2019/03/27/which-mlb-team-will-fly-the-farthest-in-2019

It should be no surprise that Seattle and Oakland have to fly the most, but what was interesting to me was that Tampa, a city I like to think of as "close to stuff" is number three. It turns out Tampa isn't close to much at all!

WaywardMemphian

Re: What MLB Team Flies the Farthest

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:21 pm

Can only imagine that it once was Atlanta when they were in the NL West back in the 80's

blockski

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:24 pm

Tampa's not close to much in MLB terms.

Just look at a map of MLB teams: there's a whole lot of nothing in the area south of the Ohio River/East of the Mississippi, except for Atlanta and Florida. And of course, the two closest teams to Tampa are NL teams.

Susserapfel

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:02 pm

My brother also told me about this article. Really cool stuff. Wonder if the guy who made it knows about this?

weekendppl

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:11 pm

This has been analyzed. Seattle spends far and away the most time travelling.

stlgph

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:11 pm

The author writes that he makes the assumption teams fly between close metro areas. Not always the case.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jbmitt

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:35 pm

stlgph wrote:
The author writes that he makes the assumption teams fly between close metro areas. Not always the case.

Good point. I know that in the past the Reds have bused between Chicago and Milwaukee. Some teams bus or take the Acela between DC Area/Philly/New York.

LittleFokker

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:50 pm

blockski wrote:

Just look at a map of MLB teams: there's a whole lot of nothing in the area south of the Ohio River/East of the Mississippi, except for Atlanta and Florida. And of course, the two closest teams to Tampa are NL teams.

Also, think of division opponents (where you go the most frequently). Tampa has to go to Boston, New York, Toronto, and Baltimore. Seattle has to go to Oakland, Anaheim, Arlington, and Houston.

The most clustered division is the NL Central: St Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh, so those teams travel the least.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

777PHX

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 pm

blockski wrote:

And their entire division is up on the east coast.

stlgph wrote:

It often is though. It's too much of a pain in the ass to drive even when the distance is short with the amount of stuff these teams carry. Especially if they're already on a road stand.

LittleFokker

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 pm

777PHX wrote:
stlgph wrote:

It often is though. It's too much of a pain in the ass to drive even when the distance is short with the amount of stuff these teams carry. Especially if they're already on a road stand.

The Royals prefer to use MKC over MCI, and I think the Mariners may use BFI over SEA (can't confirm that though). I'm not aware of any other non-commercial airports preferred by the MLB teams.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

910A

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:31 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Can only imagine that it once was Atlanta when they were in the NL West back in the 80's

I doubt it. I used the 1987 schedule as an example and it came up with approximately 30,211 miles. After the west coast teams, which each trip combined stops at two or more cities the next largest distance was 994 miles to Montreal. The NL West Champs Giants (same division) went approximately 33,476.

910A

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:39 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
777PHX wrote:
stlgph wrote:

The Royals prefer to use MKC over MCI, and I think the Mariners may use BFI over SEA (can't confirm that though). I'm not aware of any other non-commercial airports preferred by the MLB teams.

Lakefront in Cleveland is one that see some sports charters. Hanscom in the Boston area is used by the Bruins/Celtics so maybe some visiting MLB teams?

910A

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:42 pm

jbmitt wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Good point. I know that in the past the Reds have bused between Chicago and Milwaukee. Some teams bus or take the Acela between DC Area/Philly/New York.

Add in LAX-SAN which busing is faster for the 109 miles, and of course during interleague play SFO-OAK, NYY-NYM and CHW-CHC... :rotfl:

northstardc4m

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:44 pm

Part of the reason that Tampa flies so much is because of how far they are from the rest of their division who they play the most games against, the AL East, the other 4 teams (Toronto Blue Jays, Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles) are all the way up the coast. The Rays are kind of a strange outlier to their division, but the other nearer teams (Atlanta Braves, Florida Marlins) are National League. They are closer to some of the AL West in Texas than most of their AL East division-mates. The Mariners in Seattle have a similar problem in reverse direction, they are far North or West of their division rivals in the AL West (Oakland As, Angels on the coast, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros in Texas)
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

910A

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:18 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
Part of the reason that Tampa flies so much is because of how far they are from the rest of their division who they play the most games against, the AL East, the other 4 teams (Toronto Blue Jays, Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles) are all the way up the coast. The Rays are kind of a strange outlier to their division, but the other nearer teams (Atlanta Braves, Florida Marlins) are National League. They are closer to some of the AL West in Texas than most of their AL East division-mates. The Mariners in Seattle have a similar problem in reverse direction, they are far North or West of their division rivals in the AL West (Oakland As, Angels on the coast, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros in Texas)

When the D-Backs and Rays came into being, part of the deal that they clubs could be required to change leagues before 2006. From a geographically sense it would have been better for Tampa to be in the NL east to create a rivalry with the Marlins (battle of the fishes) and the Braves, and moving the D-Backs to the AL West would given Oakland and the South of Nome Alaska, east of Long Beach, North of Tijuana and West of Quartzite Angels a closer rival. Hard to move the D-Backs so soon after winning the World Series.

hobbseltoff

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:09 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
777PHX wrote:
stlgph wrote:

The first year the Mariners flew DL they used SEA almost exclusively but now they almost exclusively use BFI. As for non-commercial airports, there are actually quite a few. MKC is a big one like you mentioned, BKL instead of CLE, and PIE instead of TPA.