steveinbc
Topic Author
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:05 am

Brunei introduced a dual legal system in 2014 and now has now switched over to Sharia Law. As of last Saturday many crimes will be punishable by amputation, lashings and stoning. Should you be convicted of being gay then the punishment is automatic: stoning to death. Additionally anyone who is convicted of attempting to convert any Brunei under the age if 18 to another religion than Islam is to be punished by public lashings for a first offence.
Clooney has asked those who disagree with these laws to boycott all properties and investment companies owned by the Sultan.
Seems incredible to me that this position has not been more broadly condemned by the press and politicians across the globe.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72
 
jcancel
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:07 am

Its time to get countries to return to civil law. Northern Nigeria made a mistake adopting sharia.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3735
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:52 am

It’s their country, as long as they don’t try to export it, fine.

GF
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:53 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s their country, as long as they don’t try to export it, fine.

GF


That’s the spirit!
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:54 am

Brunei's Shariah law applies to its Muslim population, especially in the case of the adultery & homosexual. Only a few of the laws will be applicable to non-Muslims.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/ ... 32396.html
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
a320fan
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:40 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s their country, as long as they don’t try to export it, fine.

GF


So you would be okay with Nazi Germany killing Jews in their country as long as they didn’t export it?...

I flew Royal Brunei last night, and as a gay man I was quite uncomfortable in the last week since I saw this news mainly because I felt like a hypocrite giving a country that literally wants to kill me my money. I even considered booking on an alternate carrier but they already had my dollars and other options via somewhat lgbt friendly countries would mean spending thousands more, so I just sucked it up and vowed never again. It’s hard when most the options from AU to EU stop in nations with unfriendly LGBTQI laws.

FYI there’s been plenty of outrage among leftist groups over this. At least in Australia with petitions circling to get BI banned from operating to AU
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
slider
Posts: 7424
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:13 pm

The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States. Remember, Sharia is not criminal or legal in the sense the West views it--it's societal governance for muslims in how they interact with anyone.

Some of you are dangerously ignorant. It could cost you your very life, beyond your liberty. It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. History bears it out for 1400 years. Ignore it at your own peril.
 
bgm
Posts: 2173
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:27 pm

slider wrote:
The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States. Remember, Sharia is not criminal or legal in the sense the West views it--it's societal governance for muslims in how they interact with anyone.

Some of you are dangerously ignorant. It could cost you your very life, beyond your liberty. It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. History bears it out for 1400 years. Ignore it at your own peril.


Extreme right wing Christians in the US pose a far greater risk to liberty than them evil mooslamics. If they had their way, they'd have the LGBT community stoned to death in a heartbeat (or shot up, given their ammosexual inclinations)

Look at what those evil bastard missionaries did in Africa. They couldn't stop the gays in the US, so they spread their filth to vulnerable communities in Africa. Uganda is a perfect example. See how LGBT friendly they are now after being infected by American missionaries. :sarcastic:
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9410
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:48 pm

slider wrote:
The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States. Remember, Sharia is not criminal or legal in the sense the West views it--it's societal governance for muslims in how they interact with anyone.

Some of you are dangerously ignorant. It could cost you your very life, beyond your liberty. It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. History bears it out for 1400 years. Ignore it at your own peril.

Anyone who wants to impose laws based on religious texts is dangerously ignorant. Just because people in a particular religion approve because it follows their faith practice does not make those with favorable views of that religion and laws any less ignorant for supporting such laws. All religion is ultimately It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. Some are just nicer about it, dress it up in prettier clothes. And if you are going to argue it then why does any religion need laws that follow their beliefs?

Religion is not the progenitor for not killing and murdering people or for a modern lawful society (as it was in the past when the religion was the law).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3735
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:38 pm

a320fan wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s their country, as long as they don’t try to export it, fine.

GF


So you would be okay with Nazi Germany killing Jews in their country as long as they didn’t export it?...

I flew Royal Brunei last night, and as a gay man I was quite uncomfortable in the last week since I saw this news mainly because I felt like a hypocrite giving a country that literally wants to kill me my money. I even considered booking on an alternate carrier but they already had my dollars and other options via somewhat lgbt friendly countries would mean spending thousands more, so I just sucked it up and vowed never again. It’s hard when most the options from AU to EU stop in nations with unfriendly LGBTQI laws.

FYI there’s been plenty of outrage among leftist groups over this. At least in Australia with petitions circling to get BI banned from operating to AU


Pretty much all of the political class in Europe and the UK was okay with it UNTIL Hitler tried exporting it.

GF
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3735
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:41 pm

bgm wrote:
slider wrote:
The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States. Remember, Sharia is not criminal or legal in the sense the West views it--it's societal governance for muslims in how they interact with anyone.

Some of you are dangerously ignorant. It could cost you your very life, beyond your liberty. It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. History bears it out for 1400 years. Ignore it at your own peril.


Extreme right wing Christians in the US pose a far greater risk to liberty than them evil mooslamics. If they had their way, they'd have the LGBT community stoned to death in a heartbeat (or shot up, given their ammosexual inclinations)

Look at what those evil bastard missionaries did in Africa. They couldn't stop the gays in the US, so they spread their filth to vulnerable communities in Africa. Uganda is a perfect example. See how LGBT friendly they are now after being infected by American missionaries. :sarcastic:


You might study some religious history. Hint: Islam was spread by the sword in the 7th and 8th centuries while Christianity was spread by quietly religious believers until Constantine made it Rome’s state religion in the 4th century.

GF
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20750
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:03 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
bgm wrote:
slider wrote:
The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States. Remember, Sharia is not criminal or legal in the sense the West views it--it's societal governance for muslims in how they interact with anyone.

Some of you are dangerously ignorant. It could cost you your very life, beyond your liberty. It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. History bears it out for 1400 years. Ignore it at your own peril.


Extreme right wing Christians in the US pose a far greater risk to liberty than them evil mooslamics. If they had their way, they'd have the LGBT community stoned to death in a heartbeat (or shot up, given their ammosexual inclinations)

Look at what those evil bastard missionaries did in Africa. They couldn't stop the gays in the US, so they spread their filth to vulnerable communities in Africa. Uganda is a perfect example. See how LGBT friendly they are now after being infected by American missionaries. :sarcastic:


You might study some religious history. Hint: Islam was spread by the sword in the 7th and 8th centuries while Christianity was spread by quietly religious believers until Constantine made it Rome’s state religion in the 4th century.

GF


And the Crusades and Spanish Inquisition? Forcing people into Christianity?

But, let's look at modern times, too. Matthew Shepherd, bakeries, Kim Davis, bathroom laws, Don't Ask Don't Tell......
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3735
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Violent bakeries? Military forcibly imposing a religion?

The Crusades were, in fact, a war to return lands traditionally Judeo-Christian from Muslims who took them by the sword.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20750
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:20 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Violent bakeries? Military forcibly imposing a religion?

The Crusades were, in fact, a war to return lands traditionally Judeo-Christian from Muslims who took them by the sword.


"Because my religious beliefs are more important that secular law, I can not bake this cake or sign this legal document or allow you to serve in the military."

Even today, in the 21st Century, there are youth who are homeless because good Christian families kick them out for being gay or trans. Laws are being proposed all across Christian states making LGBTQ people second class citizens. Not allowing us to adopt or rent an apartment or even have a job.

Yes, what Brunei is doing to LGBTQ citizens is disgusting but what Christians are doing to LGBTQ citizens in the United States is just as disgusting. Land of the free if you are heterosexual.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
slider
Posts: 7424
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:53 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
slider wrote:
The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States. Remember, Sharia is not criminal or legal in the sense the West views it--it's societal governance for muslims in how they interact with anyone.

Some of you are dangerously ignorant. It could cost you your very life, beyond your liberty. It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. History bears it out for 1400 years. Ignore it at your own peril.

This is truly delusional. Are you also scared of the boogeyman under your bed? Because you should be.


We all should be. But not fearful--resolved to defeat a barbaric death cult. Sorry you ignore history, Mav. Now please, go back to putting your head in the sand and singing kumbaya.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17585
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:07 pm

slider wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
slider wrote:
The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States. Remember, Sharia is not criminal or legal in the sense the West views it--it's societal governance for muslims in how they interact with anyone.

Some of you are dangerously ignorant. It could cost you your very life, beyond your liberty. It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. History bears it out for 1400 years. Ignore it at your own peril.

This is truly delusional. Are you also scared of the boogeyman under your bed? Because you should be.


We all should be. But not fearful--resolved to defeat a barbaric death cult. Sorry you ignore history, Mav. Now please, go back to putting your head in the sand and singing kumbaya.

Show me on the doll where Sharia law touched you...in the United States. Evangelicals can hardly get most of their stupid agenda passed--what makes you think Islam is a shoe in?
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9410
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:29 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Evangelicals can hardly get most of their stupid agenda passed--what makes you think Islam is a shoe in?

Extremists like to pretend that "the left" or some such terrible outside force is actually supportive of implementing Sharia law. That is what they mouth between themselves to get themselves worked up to really dislike those that "do not agree with them".

It is ridiculous.

The reality is simple: Religion should never really be the justification behind any law in the USA. We are and need to remain a secular nation (regardless of any religious heritage). Laws must be able to stand on their own as to whether they are just and appropriate. (And as I like to point out, no the Ten Commandments are NOT the basis of law in the USA. They are actually fairly egregious to what "US law" really is.)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20750
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:05 pm

slider wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
slider wrote:
The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States. Remember, Sharia is not criminal or legal in the sense the West views it--it's societal governance for muslims in how they interact with anyone.

Some of you are dangerously ignorant. It could cost you your very life, beyond your liberty. It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. History bears it out for 1400 years. Ignore it at your own peril.

This is truly delusional. Are you also scared of the boogeyman under your bed? Because you should be.


We all should be. But not fearful--resolved to defeat a barbaric death cult. Sorry you ignore history, Mav. Now please, go back to putting your head in the sand and singing kumbaya.


What Muslims are calling for Sharia in the United States?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
IH8BY
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:39 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Brunei's Shariah law applies to its Muslim population, especially in the case of the adultery & homosexual. Only a few of the laws will be applicable to non-Muslims.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/ ... 32396.html


Which still isn't OK.

Oh, and it's not as though gay people brought up in Islam can escape these laws - because if you renounce Islam you can also be stoned to death.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?
 
alfa164
Posts: 3027
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:32 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
You might study some religious history. Hint: Islam was spread by the sword in the 7th and 8th centuries while Christianity was spread by quietly religious believers until Constantine made it Rome’s state religion in the 4th century. GF


Perhaps you missed that little Christian activity called "The Crusades"...wherein your favorite gang of "Christian" do-gooders massacred not only the teeming hoards of Muslims you so obviously would detest, but thousands of Jews as well.

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 pm

IH8BY wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Brunei's Shariah law applies to its Muslim population, especially in the case of the adultery & homosexual. Only a few of the laws will be applicable to non-Muslims.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/ ... 32396.html


Which still isn't OK.

Oh, and it's not as though gay people brought up in Islam can escape these laws - because if you renounce Islam you can also be stoned to death.


Yes they can. They can leave the country.

In any case, unless someone reports it I sincerely doubt gay folks will be caught for their bedroom antics. That's how it usually works. Just don't be flamboyantly gay out in the open, no PDAs etc.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
alfa164
Posts: 3027
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:16 am

slider wrote:
The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States. Remember, Sharia is not criminal or legal in the sense the West views it--it's societal governance for muslims in how they interact with anyone. Some of you are dangerously ignorant. It could cost you your very life, beyond your liberty. It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. History bears it out for 1400 years. Ignore it at your own peril.


Damn! You scared me into believing! Or, perhaps more correctly, falling for the scare tactics so many on the extreme right like to use. While I am busy cleaning out some space under my bed so I can hide, lets please pause a moment, reflect back, and take the following Multiple Choice test.... no need to keep score. The events are actual cuts from past history. They actually happened!

Do you remember?

1. In 1633, Galileo was tried and convicted and detained until his death for teaching that the Earth revolves around the sun by:
a. Osama Bin Laden
b. Johnny Cochran
c. Judge Judy
d. White male christian extremists

2. In 1860-65, 618,000 Americans died fighting over slavery. The killers were:
a. Lost Norwegians
b. Elvis
c. A tour bus full of 80-year-old women
d. White Christian males

3. From 1935 to 1945, 12,000,000 people were starved and murdered in territories annexed by Germany by:
a. The Smurfs
b. Richard Simmons
c. The Little Mermaid
d. White male Christian extremists

4. The 10 individuals found to be spying for Japan during World War II were:
a. Mr. Rogers
b. Hillary Clinton, to distract attention from Wild Bill's women problems
c. The World Wrestling Federation
d. White (non-Japanese) Christian male extremists

5. In 1968, 300 unarmed Vietnamese women, children and elderly were massacred by:
a. Enron
b. The Lutheran Church
c. The NFL
d. White Christian males from the USA

6. During the 20th century, thousands of Americans were kidnapped in the US by:
a. John Dillinger
b. The King of Sweden
c. The Boy Scouts
d. White Christian males

7. In 1995, the office building in Oklahoma City was blown up, killing 168 by:
a. A pizza delivery boy
b. Pee Wee Herman
c. Geraldo Rivera
d. A white male christian extremist

8. The majority of aircraft hijacked in the USA have been hijacked by:
a. Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd
b. The Supreme Court of Florida
c. Katherine Harris
d. White male Christians

9. In 2002, 10,000 Iraqis were murdered by:
a. Bonnie and Clyde
b. Captain Kangaroo
c. Billy Graham
d. One white male evangilical Christian President of the USA.

10. In 1999, 12 students and a teacher were murdered at Columbine High School in Colorado by:

a. Striking Coors brewery workers
b. Pee Wee Herman
c. Striking Rocky Mountain Chocolate workers
d. Two "nice", young Christian boys

11. In 2015, a 9 black worshipers in a church is Charleston were murdered by:
a. Parents protesting vaccinations of their kids
b. The Smurfs again. They are really bad!
c. Salvation Army workers, bored because it wasn't Christmas season
d. A young, white, Christian man

12. In February, 2018, 17 students at Stoneman Douglas High School were massacred by:
a. A fired Miami Heat executive
b. O.J. Simpson
c. Pro-Castro mercenaries bent of creating havoc
d. A young Christian ex-student (with a MAGA cap, no less!)

13. In October, 2018, 11 Jewish worshipers were killed in a synagogue in Philadelphia by:
a. Remnants of the Black Panther Party
b. Irate Philadelphia 76'er fans
c. Irate Philadelphia Eagles fans
d. A white, Christian man (with a van covered in Trump bling, this time!).

That is quite a record! While I am hiding from all those Muslims, I think I'd better avoid any white, Christian men, too. You should do the same; your life may depend on it...

;)

Tugger wrote:
The reality is simple: Religion should never really be the justification behind any law in the USA. We are and need to remain a secular nation (regardless of any religious heritage). Laws must be able to stand on their own as to whether they are just and appropriate. (And as I like to point out, no the Ten Commandments are NOT the basis of law in the USA. They are actually fairly egregious to what "US law" really is.)
Tugg


:checkmark: This. 100 times this!
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
slider
Posts: 7424
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:02 pm

Nice strawman on the White Christian Males thing, that was good.

I always love it when someone throws up something that happened previously as a means of deflection. No one can intellectually deny that humanity, and religion, and those who follow/lead religions are flawed. But there is a distinction here that Alfa critically misses (not surprised):

Those wrongs have been corrected.

Those conditions don't exist anymore.

Nevermind the factual inaccuracies posited by said poster, the fact remains that those EEEEEEVIL white so-called Christian males that you bemoan have also ultimately transformed the world into a better place. Islam? What has Islam given us? Throughout its entire existence, failure, misery, war, murder, and human torment follow. These are the facts, indisputable. Since 632 AD, this barbaric death cult has been bent on destroying the world as we know it, with a sick ideology.

Alfa, come with some better stuff. And grow a pair. And learn from history if you're so keen on cherry-picking to deflect from the truth.

Islam is incompatible with individual liberty, with free societies, with the West. It always was, and always shall be, unless or until it is annihilated.
 
slider
Posts: 7424
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:04 pm

alfa164 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
You might study some religious history. Hint: Islam was spread by the sword in the 7th and 8th centuries while Christianity was spread by quietly religious believers until Constantine made it Rome’s state religion in the 4th century. GF


Perhaps you missed that little Christian activity called "The Crusades"...wherein your favorite gang of "Christian" do-gooders massacred not only the teeming hoards of Muslims you so obviously would detest, but thousands of Jews as well.

:roll:



Oh, you're still at it.

Stop with the revisionist history. The Crusades were to stem Muslim invasion. They weren't fought solely by standing armies, contrary to popular myth, but by comparatively wealthy men who didn't want subjugation. And the Reconquista also stemmed from trying to repel the barbaric hordes that had taken over the Iberian peninsula. Again, history and facts would do you a world of good.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2727
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:44 pm

This thread is filled with a lot of "BUT HILLARY'S EMAILS!" type of posts.

Sharia law is incompatible with western values. Simple.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9410
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
This thread is filled with a lot of "BUT HILLARY'S EMAILS!" type of posts.

Sharia law is incompatible with western values. Simple.

It's more than that: It's not Sharia law that is incompatible, it's the fact that religion based "laws" are incompatible with western values. Look, I don't support sharia or imposing Koran based rules on general society, but just like Christianity, Islam has a whole bunch of "values" based on their religious texts and beliefs that could be fully compatible with "western values". But just as we ignore almost everything in the bible and do not base our laws on Christianity, I would never support implementing a law based on any region.

So it's not the "values", it is the absolutist nature of religions. It is that everything they believe is supposed to be right and true and therefore should be implemented into law. "Western values" are just more familiar to Christianity and in turn Christianity has become accustomed to moderating their values so they can live with and in "Western values". (Divorce? Punishment? Views sexuality? The list goes on.)

The hard part is that "moderation" (more accurately it was acceptance of the outside rule of law they could not over come) took some 800 years to occur. And no one is willing to allow 800 more years of "misbehavior" (understatement of the decade) by belivers of any religion now. Either get with the word and good societal values or get out.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20750
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
This thread is filled with a lot of "BUT HILLARY'S EMAILS!" type of posts.

Sharia law is incompatible with western values. Simple.


Christian Sharia is incompatible with western values.

There are countries I could go to where locals would murder me simply for being and American. I could look at someone funny in this country and be beaten or murdered. By people who claim to be part of a peaceful Christian religion. Laws are and have been passed in this country because of Christianity. Americans need to stop looking down our noses at other countries who do the exact same thing as them.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3735
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:08 am

seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
This thread is filled with a lot of "BUT HILLARY'S EMAILS!" type of posts.

Sharia law is incompatible with western values. Simple.


Christian Sharia is incompatible with western values.

There are countries I could go to where locals would murder me simply for being and American. I could look at someone funny in this country and be beaten or murdered. By people who claim to be part of a peaceful Christian religion. Laws are and have been passed in this country because of Christianity. Americans need to stop looking down our noses at other countries who do the exact same thing as them.


“Christian Sharia” is a contradiction in terms. By definition, Sharia is not Christian, but Islamic. And, Christianity was never a political regime. “Render unto Caesar what is Caeser’s and render unto God what is God’s”. Christianity from its origins was separate from government and, indeed, antagonistic to the established powers, whereas, Islam sees no such differentiation.

GF
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20750
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:17 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
This thread is filled with a lot of "BUT HILLARY'S EMAILS!" type of posts.

Sharia law is incompatible with western values. Simple.


Christian Sharia is incompatible with western values.

There are countries I could go to where locals would murder me simply for being and American. I could look at someone funny in this country and be beaten or murdered. By people who claim to be part of a peaceful Christian religion. Laws are and have been passed in this country because of Christianity. Americans need to stop looking down our noses at other countries who do the exact same thing as them.


“Christian Sharia” is a contradiction in terms. By definition, Sharia is not Christian, but Islamic. And, Christianity was never a political regime. “Render unto Caesar what is Caeser’s and render unto God what is God’s”. Christianity from its origins was separate from government and, indeed, antagonistic to the established powers, whereas, Islam sees no such differentiation.

GF


And, yet, here we are. Women can not make decisions about their bodies because Christianity. Grown adults can not use public bathrooms they are comfortable with because Christianity. Grown adults can not marry because Christianity. Evolution can not be taught in public schools because Christianity. Biblical law has to be displayed on government property because Christianity. Tax paying citizens being denied legal services because Christianity. What else are we going to call this other than Christian Sharia?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17585
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:30 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
And, Christianity was never a political regime.

Sure, if you ignore all of history for the last 1-2 thousand years. Have you seen how every last evangelical has dropped to his/her knees to worship their orange messiah? The Trump prion infected evangelicals generations before the republican party, and it has always been nothing but political--back to when they were trying to continue segregation at Liberty University. Just like Trump and his apartments! #praiseHim
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3592
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Keep the thread on topic or it will be locked.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4678
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:56 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Brunei's Shariah law applies to its Muslim population, especially in the case of the adultery & homosexual. Only a few of the laws will be applicable to non-Muslims.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/ ... 32396.html


Wrong. These laws apply to whoever the people enforcing the laws think at the time they should apply to. If someone decides to stop believing in imaginary sky fairies, by definition they will no longer be Muslims, but will still be punished by these laws as aposthates, and these laws will apply to them, good and hard.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9410
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:40 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
“Christian Sharia” is a contradiction in terms. By definition, Sharia is not Christian, but Islamic. And, Christianity was never a political regime. “Render unto Caesar what is Caeser’s and render unto God what is God’s”. Christianity from its origins was separate from government and, indeed, antagonistic to the established powers, whereas, Islam sees no such differentiation.

You must see the irony of your statement? First you note one thing, because of a definition, is a lie, refusing to see the obvious analogy it is offered as. Then you go on to say another thing when history obviously proves a very different version of events.

Religion has been law throughout the world for centuries. That you state what you do ignores even the foundation of our own country, the USA, by the KING of England. What exactly is a King and where does their power come from? Sure that power has changed and been moderated over the years, but to try and make a blatantly wrong statement that Christianity is/was always separate from government can only mean you are intentionally lying or trying to deceive or are intentionally blinding yourself to the reality of the world and history.

Sharia is a no go for law in the USA but so is any religious law. That is why the USA was founded. To end the imposition of CHRISTIAN based religious law on the people of the colonies.

While you can be "right by definition", you are just flat wrong by reality and known action in history.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
Magog
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:54 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:34 pm

Tugger wrote:
Sharia is a no go for law in the USA but so is any religious law. That is why the USA was founded. To end the imposition of CHRISTIAN based religious law on the people of the colonies.

It has been an evolution. Originally, the Constitution had much more to do with preventing government from restricting religion. The plethora of blue laws, especially in New England, show that government still passed laws in support of religion.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20750
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Pyrex wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Brunei's Shariah law applies to its Muslim population, especially in the case of the adultery & homosexual. Only a few of the laws will be applicable to non-Muslims.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/ ... 32396.html


Wrong. These laws apply to whoever the people enforcing the laws think at the time they should apply to. If someone decides to stop believing in imaginary sky fairies, by definition they will no longer be Muslims, but will still be punished by these laws as aposthates, and these laws will apply to them, good and hard.


I had not planned on visiting Brunei, but I would follow their laws, if I did. It is not my house. I would be a visitor in someone else's house. I would not engage in homosexual acts, even if this law were not on the books in Brunei because of the culture of that country.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:43 pm

Of course Democrats would pass Sharia law if it was up to them. They would be afraid of being seen as intolerant if they didn't. You already have Muslim patrols dressed up like the police in NYC.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9410
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:34 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Of course Democrats would pass Sharia law if it was up to them. They would be afraid of being seen as intolerant if they didn't. You already have Muslim patrols dressed up like the police in NYC.

I believe you mean Republican's would pass it as they are the party that responds to and respect religious customs and needs. They have a long history of standing up for that.

Of course that is as untrue as your comment and just meant to get your attention and "trigger" a comment....

(But no one here would do that.)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:00 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Of course Democrats would pass Sharia law if it was up to them. They would be afraid of being seen as intolerant if they didn't. You already have Muslim patrols dressed up like the police in NYC.


Well that’d make it pretty damned hard for us to kill babies now, wouldn’t it? And I hear from you guys all the time that’s what the party is all about.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2727
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:45 pm

seb146 wrote:

I had not planned on visiting Brunei, but I would follow their laws, if I did. It is not my house. I would be a visitor in someone else's house. I would not engage in homosexual acts, even if this law were not on the books in Brunei because of the culture of that country.


Sorry, I don't want to derail or do some whataboutism here but.. Isn't it also, then, reasonable for us to ask visitors to our country to also follow our laws? (re immigration)
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20750
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:44 am

trpmb6 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I had not planned on visiting Brunei, but I would follow their laws, if I did. It is not my house. I would be a visitor in someone else's house. I would not engage in homosexual acts, even if this law were not on the books in Brunei because of the culture of that country.


Sorry, I don't want to derail or do some whataboutism here but.. Isn't it also, then, reasonable for us to ask visitors to our country to also follow our laws? (re immigration)


You mean like the who-knows-how many who are here on expired visas? Or the ones who tunnel under the desert or float across in a raft in the dead of night?

I don't want to derail anything more than it already is, but when certain groups whine and cry about immigration, they make a blanket statement. They lump in the legal asylum seekers with the illegal overstay their visa types.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3735
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:54 am

Tugg,

Have you looked at history of the relationship between the Popes and Sovereigns in Europe? Usually very antagonistic, th3 Pope rarely got his way unless it just happened to coincide with King’s desires.

GF
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:27 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Tugg,

Have you looked at history of the relationship between the Popes and Sovereigns in Europe? Usually very antagonistic, th3 Pope rarely got his way unless it just happened to coincide with King’s desires.

GF


GF, that’s a simplistic view. And it belies the point. It’s more often a problem of what political leaders do in the name of religion, or using religion to grab power.

Trump is a great example. Could qualify as the antichrist but has no problem pandering to a whole group of people for their votes. As sincere as these people may be in their beliefs, most of them are pandered to by their own church leaders who do whatever they can to rile them up and keep them in church so that they can keep the money rolling in.

It’s. Been. That. Way. Since. The. Beginning. Of. Time.

Unfortunately humans are wired for superstition.

That’s not saying the Bible as a series of inspirational metaphors of good against evil does not have value—quite the contrary. But this new generation of crazed evangelicals are only preaching those parables to divide their primary revenue source from everyone else by giving them a false sense of moral superiority. The intersection of politics and religion is absolutely odious and we should not even be discussing it in the U.S.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12259
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:04 am

I wonder what the Sultan is going to do about his brother Jefri, he does all the naughty things good Muslims aren’t supposed to do.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:10 am

Why is a topic on Brunei and Sharia Law all of a sudden transformed into a trashing match of Christianity and white males?
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:04 am

Kiwirob wrote:
I wonder what the Sultan is going to do about his brother Jefri, he does all the naughty things good Muslims aren’t supposed to do.


I don't think he's on speaking terms with his brother.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
c933103
Posts: 3827
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:12 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Brunei's Shariah law applies to its Muslim population, especially in the case of the adultery & homosexual. Only a few of the laws will be applicable to non-Muslims.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/ ... 32396.html


But how do they decide who are Muslim? Do they have laws like their neighboring country of Malaysia that mandate people of certain ethnicity must be a Muslim?
slider wrote:
The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States. Remember, Sharia is not criminal or legal in the sense the West views it--it's societal governance for muslims in how they interact with anyone.

Some of you are dangerously ignorant. It could cost you your very life, beyond your liberty. It is an ideology of conquest, fear, and subversion. History bears it out for 1400 years. Ignore it at your own peril.


If it is a "societal governance for a group of people", then isn't it by definition lynching?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:21 pm

slider wrote:
The Muslims are already calling for Sharia here in the States.


Why don’t you give us a comprehensive list, slider, of “the Muslims” who are making such demands?
 
slider
Posts: 7424
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Again, asked and answered. Stop being fatuous.
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:28 pm

slider wrote:
Again, asked and answered. Stop being fatuous.


Only in your head it was. But you seem prone to fantasy, so I’m not surprised.
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 1743
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Sharia Law in Brunei brings harsh punishments

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:33 pm

slider wrote:
Nice strawman on the White Christian Males thing, that was good.

I always love it when someone throws up something that happened previously as a means of deflection. No one can intellectually deny that humanity, and religion, and those who follow/lead religions are flawed. But there is a distinction here that Alfa critically misses (not surprised):

Those wrongs have been corrected.

Those conditions don't exist anymore.

Nevermind the factual inaccuracies posited by said poster, the fact remains that those EEEEEEVIL white so-called Christian males that you bemoan have also ultimately transformed the world into a better place. Islam? What has Islam given us? Throughout its entire existence, failure, misery, war, murder, and human torment follow. These are the facts, indisputable. Since 632 AD, this barbaric death cult has been bent on destroying the world as we know it, with a sick ideology.

Alfa, come with some better stuff. And grow a pair. And learn from history if you're so keen on cherry-picking to deflect from the truth.

Islam is incompatible with individual liberty, with free societies, with the West. It always was, and always shall be, unless or until it is annihilated.


Nevermind the fact that his strawman quiz is false.

Blerg wrote:
Why is a topic on Brunei and Sharia Law all of a sudden transformed into a trashing match of Christianity and white males?


Don’t you know? Everything is the fault of white Christian males. Just read the thread. We’ve got people in this thread thinking Hitler was a Christian. Freakin hilarious.
Last edited by DL717 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaron747 and 22 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos