leftcoast8
Topic Author

Why did Ethiopian-Americans settle in Seattle, DC, Minneapolis, etc.? Why those cities?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:43 pm

I was born in Canada to Ethiopian parents. According to the Migration Policy Institute, the largest number of Ethiopians live in the following U.S. metro areas:

1. DC
2. Minneapolis
3. Seattle
4. Atlanta
5. L.A.
6. Denver
7. Las Vegas

My family happens to have many friends and relatives living in each of these cities. But I wonder, why did Ethiopians who came to the U.S. decide to settle in those specific areas? Why not New York/New Jersey, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco or Boston, where many other immigrant communities have settled? e.g. The Tri-State has 150,000+ Koreans and a large Pakistani population, but very few Ethiopians. Chicago is home to many Polish and Russian immigrants, but not many Ethiopians. And so on.

Thank you.

johns624

Re: Why did Ethiopian-Americans settle in Seattle, DC, Minneapolis, etc.? Why those cities?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 pm

If your family has "many friends and relatives living in each of these cities" why don't you ask them?

seb146

Re: Why did Ethiopian-Americans settle in Seattle, DC, Minneapolis, etc.? Why those cities?

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:07 am

I wondered why Somalis settled in MSP. As long as they are legal, live wherever, but it seems the weather in MSP is not anything like weather in Somalia. I had heard something on NPR there were Somali or Ethiopian or some immigrant group from Africa that settled in central Kansas. Cost, I would imagine.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Magog

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:38 am

seb146 wrote:
I wondered why Somalis settled in MSP. As long as they are legal, live wherever, but it seems the weather in MSP is not anything like weather in Somalia. I had heard something on NPR there were Somali or Ethiopian or some immigrant group from Africa that settled in central Kansas. Cost, I would imagine.

No, it’s usually the result of very active refugee resettlement projects that are organic to those cities. In Minnesota, Lutheran Social Services, Catholic Charities, and World Relief Minnesota all played a very active role. You know... those horrible, evil Christians so many on the left love to hate.

TTailedTiger

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:14 am

Yep, the cop in MN who murdered the Australian lady was from Somalia.

1836Sam

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:41 am

Magog wrote:
seb146 wrote:

No, it’s usually the result of very active refugee resettlement projects that are organic to those cities. In Minnesota, Lutheran Social Services, Catholic Charities, and World Relief Minnesota all played a very active role. You know... those horrible, evil Christians so many on the left love to hate.

Oh yeah, MAGOG, we all hate the Social Justice Warrior Christians who open their doors to help people in need :sarcastic:

You are a piece of work.

1836Sam

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:42 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

And of course that would be the first and only thing that popped into your head. Very germane to the post, too, I might add.

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:00 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

Was there ever a trial?

seb146

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:30 am

Magog wrote:
seb146 wrote:

No, it’s usually the result of very active refugee resettlement projects that are organic to those cities. In Minnesota, Lutheran Social Services, Catholic Charities, and World Relief Minnesota all played a very active role.

You could have ended there and that would have been great, informative, and respectful. But, you had to continue with

Magog wrote:
You know... those horrible, evil Christians so many on the left love to hate.

and make the post so unbelievable and hate filled and crazy.

Why do you have to attack people for asking an honest question? Why all the hate for people simply seeking out information? Why do you hate Americans? Why do you hate freedom? Why do you hate literally EVERYONE with an opinion different from yours? Why do you hate Christians? I ask because, as a Christian, it looks like you hate us.

910A

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Was there ever a trial?

Will resume on Monday, day six picking a jury.

Magog

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:46 am

seb146 wrote:

Magog wrote:
You know... those horrible, evil Christians so many on the left love to hate.

and make the post so unbelievable and hate filled and crazy.

Why do you have to attack people for asking an honest question? Why all the hate for people simply seeking out information? Why do you hate Americans? Why do you hate freedom? Why do you hate literally EVERYONE with an opinion different from yours? Why do you hate Christians? I ask because, as a Christian, it looks like you hate us.

Somebody’s sarcasm detector is broken.

1836Sam

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Well if there’s one thing our friend is known for it is his endless sarcasm and wit.

Perhaps this is his way of saying he really isn’t one of “us.” Shocker!

But I’m sure we can let bygones be bygones if he simply apologizes for the great offense he has caused to the plentitude of Democrats who are Christian. Including most of the people who operate the refugee programs to which he was referring.

iadadd

Thu May 30, 2019 1:36 am

DC, LA, and to a smaller extent Bay Area are the original centers of the Ethiopian American community, this is because the numerous community of Ethiopian university students in the late 1960s-1970s. As a result of the downfall of Haile Selassie in 1974 and the emergence of the authoritarian Derg, many of the students remained in their host cities and eventually made it home. As the numbers of Ethiopians in the US increased they naturally migrated to these areas. D.C. still retains (and still growing) the largest population , but the community in LA seems to have witness stagnant or minimal growth as of lately.

In the mid 80s when Ethiopians began arriving en masse as Refugees; many were settled in Minnesota, Seattle, and California (in particular: San Jose and San Diego) Not sure how the community developed in Denver or Atlanta. Las Vegas seems to be a more recent development. Also, DFW Metroplex has a sizable Ethiopian population

mham001

Thu May 30, 2019 4:07 am

1836Sam wrote:
But I’m sure we can let bygones be bygones if he simply apologizes for the great offense he has caused to the plentitude of Democrats who are Christian. Including most of the people who operate the refugee programs to which he was referring.

Hilarious. Democrat Christians are enraged about that sarcasm when this entire forum is filled with generalized hate against Christians on a daily basis. It is literally an obsession with at least one poster but nary a peep from any of you. Why is your outrage sooo selective?
\
However it is nice you have highlighted how our social system would collapse without the support of religious charities, of all denominations and beliefs.

aviationaware

Thu May 30, 2019 5:21 am

That's because immigrants who are not highly qualified have a tendency to ghettoize. This is the case everywhere in the world, not just for Ethiopians in America.

trpmb6

Thu May 30, 2019 12:32 pm

seb146 wrote:

A few Nigerian groups that I play soccer with. Work with a couple as well (or have in the past to be more precise). I would say there is a much bigger Vietnamese population here than any other refugee group. Call several of them friends. Their stories are truly disheartening. The refugee camps they were forced to stay in in California while awaiting their refugee status is truly sad.

I would say that in general refugee populations are, for a lack of a better way to describe it, distributed amongst the population of the various states and cities based on various factors such as cultural trends (similar groups existing), economic conditions (able to easily absorb additional labor force participants) and almost certainly political influences. The various charities and churches that get involved also have a big input. I know of several lutheran churches based in the MSP area that do missions to the Eastern block of African countries, mainly Tanzania, Kenya and Ethiopia. They've sponsored many in the area. (Pastor at my wedding in MSP was one of such)

slider

Thu May 30, 2019 1:03 pm

seb146 wrote:

The Lutherans sponsored them, they got a toehold and now they're everywhere.

Minny is Little Mogadishu now. All they need are minarets to go with the hot dish, you betcha.

seb146

Thu May 30, 2019 4:40 pm

mham001 wrote:
1836Sam wrote:

Hilarious. Democrat Christians are enraged about that sarcasm when this entire forum is filled with generalized hate against Christians on a daily basis. It is literally an obsession with at least one poster but nary a peep from any of you. Why is your outrage sooo selective?
\
However it is nice you have highlighted how our social system would collapse without the support of religious charities, of all denominations and beliefs.

Republicans using the name of Christ are giving Christians a bad name. Republicans are demanding "religious exemptions" for things like LGBTQ equality. Of course, their "religious exemptions" only apply to Christianity. They immediately become triggered when Muslims or Sikhs do something based on their religion. Like Ramadan. Oh my gracious! How terrible it is to have to know other religions have high holy months! And that some shops will be closed for certain periods because of religion!

I was taught that the United States is the land of the free and was founded to uphold religious freedom. Yet, here we are in the 21st Century putting one religion above others. That is not the America I grew up in and not the America I want left for future generations.

slider

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:30 pm

seb146 wrote:
Yet, here we are in the 21st Century putting one religion above others. That is not the America I grew up in and not the America I want left for future generations.

Big difference....it's not the little old Lutheran ladies who are criminals, murderers, rapists and jihadists...

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... polis.html

And given the consistent track record throughout all of Islamic history, I absolutely will place one way of life and a culture (not religion, per se) above others. Unapologetically.

seb146

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:07 am

slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Yet, here we are in the 21st Century putting one religion above others. That is not the America I grew up in and not the America I want left for future generations.

Big difference....it's not the little old Lutheran ladies who are criminals, murderers, rapists and jihadists...

And given the consistent track record throughout all of Islamic history, I absolutely will place one way of life and a culture (not religion, per se) above others. Unapologetically.

If we are going to go down that road, we must include Catholic priests and the Mormon church and mega-churches and all their opulent living and the "Christian" sects encouraging violence like gun raffles and turning away the tires, sick, and hungry because of their sexual orientation.

slider

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:39 pm

seb146 wrote:
slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:

If we are going to go down that road, we must include Catholic priests and the Mormon church and mega-churches and all their opulent living and the "Christian" sects encouraging violence like gun raffles and turning away the tires, sick, and hungry because of their sexual orientation.

No question the Catholic Church is corrupt. I'm a recovering Catholic for many reasons (mostly theological) but the abuse scandals, the corruption, their Marxist leanings, no thanks.

But real Christians can still love sinners but hate the sin. And they're also not throwing gays off buildings, or stoning them, or invoking theocratic rule to persecute those people. Islam codifies and demands it.

seb146

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:10 pm

slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:
slider wrote:

No question the Catholic Church is corrupt. I'm a recovering Catholic for many reasons (mostly theological) but the abuse scandals, the corruption, their Marxist leanings, no thanks.

But real Christians can still love sinners but hate the sin. And they're also not throwing gays off buildings, or stoning them, or invoking theocratic rule to persecute those people. Islam codifies and demands it.

And real Muslims can still love sinners but hate the sin. Where in the United States are Muslims throwing gays off buildings or stoning them or invoking theocratic rule to persecute us? I think you are mistaking them for Christians.

Magog

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:03 pm

seb146 wrote:
And real Muslims can still love sinners but hate the sin. Where in the United States are Muslims throwing gays off buildings or stoning them or invoking theocratic rule to persecute us? I think you are mistaking them for Christians.

In a recent ISPU survey of 804 American Muslims, not a single one identified as gay or lesbian. This shows just how tolerant Muslims are of people who are not like them.

seb146

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Magog wrote:
seb146 wrote:

In a recent ISPU survey of 804 American Muslims, not a single one identified as gay or lesbian. This shows just how tolerant Muslims are of people who are not like them.

And you can survey 804 Southern Republicans and not one will identify as gay or lesbian. So what?

Magog

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:29 pm

seb146 wrote:
Magog wrote:
seb146 wrote:

And you can survey 804 Southern Republicans and not one will identify as gay or lesbian. So what?

Christianity is much broader than Southern Republicans - at least according to my local lesbian Episcopalian priest.

seb146

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Magog wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Magog wrote:

Christianity is much broader than Southern Republicans - at least according to my local lesbian Episcopalian priest.

And, yet, there are Christians who want to kill all gays. Therefore, by your own right wing logic, all Christians want to kill gays.

Answer my question:

How many Muslims in America have thrown gays off buildings? How many Muslims in America have attacked and murdered members of LGBTQ?

EDIT:

Isn't Ethiopia a majority Christian nation anyway? Just asking because of the OP.

SQ22

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:11 am

Thread went of topic and will be locked.