af773atmsp
Topic Author

Blue Lives Matter Flag at SFO Security Checkpoint

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:12 pm

I was heading to MSP from SFO last night and as I passed through security at the International Terminal I noticed on a desk in the center of the room were two miniature flags. One being the American flag, the other being a Blue Lives Matter flag. Is this an anomaly, or is it common for security checkpoints at American airports to have Blue Lives Matter flags? It's just surprising and odd to me considering the diverse people that go through SFO on a daily basis and might take offense to it.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

1836Sam

Re: Blue Lives Matter Flag at SFO Security Checkpoint

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:19 pm

Security at SFO is privately run so not a TSA thing. Plenty of 9-11 memorials of various kinds at TSA checkpoints.

It’s kind of needlessly provocative, I must say.

seb146

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:32 pm

"Blue Lives Matter" has a different meaning among police.

Police need to be vigilant and protect We The People. I get it. Gunning down certain unarmed citizens and not others because "I thought s/he had a weapon" is unacceptable. As far as police displaying "Blue Lives Matter" we need to also display Black Lives Matter along side it, IMO. Because, as some are quick to point out ALL LIVES MATTER.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

NIKV69

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:48 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
It's just surprising and odd to me considering the diverse people that go through SFO on a daily basis and might take offense to it.

Yea nothing like opposing people that risk their lives so there can be law and order in society :sarcastic:

1836Sam wrote:

Why is supporting law enforcement provocative?
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

1836Sam

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:08 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
1836Sam wrote:

I was wondering who the first to respond would be. Because, Nicholas, where did it come from? Why are you consistently so provoked by the phrase “Black Lives Matter”?

Why not display a sign that says, “SFO thanks and supports our law enforcement officers?”

What if an airport decided to staff a checkpoint with all black TSA officers and allowed them to display a BLM flag?

Besides are TSA officers even considered LEOs? In a police station, perhaps, I wouldn’t consider it so out of place. But with charged messages like that they’re by nature provocative.

Just like MAGA hats!

Airstud

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:11 pm

1836Sam wrote:
Why not display a sign that says, “SFO thanks and supports our law enforcement officers?”

Not schmot; they have a "Blue Lives Matter" sign that says just that.
Last edited by Airstud on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pancakes are delicious.

1836Sam

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:15 pm

Airstud wrote:
1836Sam wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Not schmot; they have a "Blue Lives Matter" sign that says just that.

I am not sure what a schmot is.

TTailedTiger

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:21 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:
It's just surprising and odd to me considering the diverse people that go through SFO on a daily basis and might take offense to it.

Yea nothing like opposing people that risk their lives so there can be law and order in society :sarcastic:

1836Sam wrote:

Tell that the Australian lady who was murdered by a cop who she had summoned for help. The only good cops are thrones who call out their bad coworkers. But we get crickets from them when bad police officers are caught.

bagoldex

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:28 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

No one forced them to become cops. There are many more dangerous professions that make a far greater contribution to society and don't cause so many utterly needless deaths.

1836Sam

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:29 pm

I seriously thought the nation on all sides had finally acknowledged the problem of some really bad, really sick cops thanks to the travails of our poor mistreated president.

Nicholas, you of all people should really be on board now!

seb146

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:54 am

Reading the history of Blue Lives Matter, it reads a lot like the history of Black Lives Matter. That is, a specific group of people were tired of being targets. The biggest difference is we are told one is good, the other bad.

TTailedTiger

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:12 am

seb146 wrote:
Reading the history of Blue Lives Matter, it reads a lot like the history of Black Lives Matter. That is, a specific group of people were tired of being targets. The biggest difference is we are told one is good, the other bad.

Both are divisive. All lives should matter equally. The blue lives matter comes off as more of a crybaby stunt. No one forces you to be a cop.

1836Sam

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:17 am

The problem with Blue Lives Matter is quite obvious.

A movement borne out of wildly disproportionate police violence christens itself “Black Lives Matter.”

People get in such a friggin tizzy they have to completely co-opt it into “All Lives Matter” and then into “Blue Lives Matter,” at the end of the day defensive stances against a movement that there was no need to be defensive about, and, in the process, proving the GD point.

The least they could do would be to come up with their own damned name instead of stealing another group’s with an absolutely sincere grievance. Considering police violence was what BLM was organized around, the fact that a police group did it was even more outrageous and was about as big of a middle finger as they could give.

And it is proven repeatedly, as it has been today by some of our favorite a.net members of the Trumpist Illuminati.

And what any of this has to do with security checkpoints at SFO to the point they have to conspicuously display a flag is absolutely beyond me. Maybe there is a reason, but I’m sure it’s lost on the majority of people who pass by, and would not be surprised if the African-Americans who went through the checkpoint saw it as the same big “screw you” middle finger. And I absolutely would not blame them for feeling that way.

cjg225

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:33 am

bagoldex wrote:
No one forced them to become cops. There are many more dangerous professions that make a far greater contribution to society and don't cause so many utterly needless deaths.

I try to stay out of these discussions usually, but... I gotta ask a question here.

Um... like what?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

MaverickM11

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 am

The funny thing about blue lives matter is that not only did it not exist until black lives matter but also it is totally and completely useless—if you actually wanted to do anything to improve blue lives it would require a conversation about guns, and that makes white baby Jesus cry. I think tots n pears does more for “blue lives” than this bit of virtue signaling. It’s like standing up with a sufficiently hard erection at a baseball game thinking you’re “supporting the troops”.
E pur si muove -Galileo

bagoldex

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:52 am

cjg225 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

I try to stay out of these discussions usually, but... I gotta ask a question here.

Um... like what?

Like what? Like every other profession known to man.

TTailedTiger

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:15 am

cjg225 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

Um... like what?

Loggers

Alaska Fishermen

Bush pilots

Steel workers

Truck drivers

Those are all more dangerous jobs than being a cop.

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:19 am

cjg225 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

Um... like what?

I think a better way of phrasing it is you can choose to become a cop and you can choose to quit being a cop, but you can't choose your skin color.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

BN747

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:41 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
The funny thing about blue lives matter is that not only did it not exist until black lives matter but also it is totally and completely useless—if you actually wanted to do anything to improve blue lives it would require a conversation about guns, and that makes white baby Jesus cry. I think tots n pears does more for “blue lives” than this bit of virtue signaling. It’s like standing up with a sufficiently hard erection at a baseball game thinking you’re “supporting the troops”.

Well said :checkmark:

I think if people step it up a notch and recognize that cops are us and we are them.

What I mean is 'policing' is a necessary institution for any functioning civilized society. Cops need to drop the 'us against them' mentality all together, when they act on the side error, they want to be seen as 'human'(as in we all make mistakes)...then why not see us as human too when you guys (cops) get completely stupid in a very simplistic situation requiring little to no brain power,

Mostly, I feel for cops..I see too many incidents of f*n baby sitting grown ass adults acting like children in drunken domestic disputes (I bet the #1 call to cops everywhere - beside the 'I see a black man walking down the street talking on a cell phone' or 'can you send someone to get my cat out of the tree) calls. I slow down when passing thru Hollywood and areas where you are likely to see patrols dividing a couple and bored to tears listening to aggrieved parties go bonkers - the cops body language always reads the same (I'd rather be anywhere but with these people) - but they did sign up to be professional babysitters.

But as TTailedTiger said, it's Blue Lives Matter is low grade cheapshot Black Lives Matter ripoff...all cops know exactly why Black Lives Matter exist....because of bad actors among their ranks. Cops want sympathy? Then show us you don't support your bad members...they'll get more sympathy than they can handle.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

seb146

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:21 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
cjg225 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

Um... like what?

Loggers

Alaska Fishermen

Bush pilots

Steel workers

Truck drivers

Teacher in the public education system should be on that list, too.

cjg225

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:26 pm

bagoldex wrote:

So.... You're saying that being a police officer is the least dangerous and least important job in the world. Got it.

TTailedTiger wrote:
Loggers

Alaska Fishermen

Bush pilots

Steel workers

Truck drivers

I'm guessing you're basing that strictly off of deaths per number of people engaged in the profession as opposed to what danger flows from in those professions?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

bagoldex

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:53 pm

cjg225 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

So.... You're saying that being a police officer is the least dangerous and least important job in the world. Got it.

In my opinion, one of the least beneficial.

stratosphere

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 pm

BN747 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Well said :checkmark:

I think if people step it up a notch and recognize that cops are us and we are them.

What I mean is 'policing' is a necessary institution for any functioning civilized society. Cops need to drop the 'us against them' mentality all together, when they act on the side error, they want to be seen as 'human'(as in we all make mistakes)...then why not see us as human too when you guys (cops) get completely stupid in a very simplistic situation requiring little to no brain power,

Mostly, I feel for cops..I see too many incidents of f*n baby sitting grown ass adults acting like children in drunken domestic disputes (I bet the #1 call to cops everywhere - beside the 'I see a black man walking down the street talking on a cell phone' or 'can you send someone to get my cat out of the tree) calls. I slow down when passing thru Hollywood and areas where you are likely to see patrols dividing a couple and bored to tears listening to aggrieved parties go bonkers - the cops body language always reads the same (I'd rather be anywhere but with these people) - but they did sign up to be professional babysitters.

But as TTailedTiger said, it's Blue Lives Matter is low grade cheapshot Black Lives Matter ripoff...all cops know exactly why Black Lives Matter exist....because of bad actors among their ranks. Cops want sympathy? Then show us you don't support your bad members...they'll get more sympathy than they can handle.

BN747

I never once thought I would agree with BN747 but I do. There are some good cops out there and they do put up with a lot of BS. However, there are a lot of them that get into this profession and abuse their authority and abuse the public. The good ones need to call out their brothers in blue who are not up to the cut. Until that happens we will continue to see problems.

GBNWB

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Police officers are killed almost daily in the US and around the world by armed criminals. Blue lives matter and I am unsure how anyone but criminals could object to a symbol supporting law enforcement and the men and women who put themselves in harms way so we may be safe being displayed in an area full of cops.

1836Sam

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:17 pm

GBNWB wrote:
Police officers are killed almost daily in the US and around the world by armed criminals. Blue lives matter and I am unsure how anyone but criminals could object to a symbol supporting law enforcement and the men and women who put themselves in harms way so we may be safe being displayed in an area full of cops.

1) If TSA agents are cops, that’s a new one to me. And some cops might even find that comparison offensive. (Although TSA regulations do require an LEO presence at every checkpoint so there has to be at least 1 SFPD officer there.)

2) While some on here are arguing against making any steps to honor “blue lives,” most are not. The problem with “Blue Lives Matter,” as explained above, is that it was co-opted from “Black Lives Matter,” a movement that started in response to police violence. It shouldn’t difficult to see how that can possibly be offensive. Come up with your own name, or, better yet, hang up a sign showing support for LEOs.

3) A total of 144 federal, state, and local LEOs were DIED in the line of duty in 2018, mostly in traffic accidents. A total of 52 were shot and killed. While any is unacceptable, it’s certainly nowhere near 1 a day and I’m actually quite heartened to hear it isn’t worse.

TTailedTiger

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:23 pm

GBNWB wrote:

Do you think the life of a cop is worth more than others?

dmg626

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:16 am

GBNWB wrote:

Agreed!

1836Sam

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:18 am

dmg626 wrote:
GBNWB wrote:

Agreed!

Well then you are agreeing with something that is factually incorrect, as described above.

dmg626

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:47 am

1836Sam wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
GBNWB wrote:

Agreed!

Well then you are agreeing with something that is factually incorrect, as described above.

The poster writes “almost” , at one every other day that’s pretty close considering how many others get career or life altering injuries. Let’s face it, only complete douchebags ( most libs who post on here) have an issue with blue lives matter.

1836Sam

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:02 pm

dmg626 wrote:
1836Sam wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Agreed!

The poster writes “almost” , at one every other day that’s pretty close considering how many others get career or life altering injuries. Let’s face it, only complete douchebags ( most libs who post on here) have an issue with blue lives matter.

Yeah what’s a fact to a conservative “douchebag” anyway? Or even a simple attempt to think about why many people might find the name of the organization offensive?

As long as you guys feel good, anyone else can be screwed. Why not put that on a flag?

slider

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:13 pm

A veteran CHP officer was killed on duty by an errant drunk driver over the weekend. Most of our jobs don't carry anything near even that sort of accidental risk.

As much as I loathe TSA broadly speaking, people who would have a problem with the blue line really need to get some perspective.

1836Sam

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:17 pm

slider wrote:
A veteran CHP officer was killed on duty by an errant drunk driver over the weekend. Most of our jobs don't carry anything near even that sort of accidental risk.

As much as I loathe TSA broadly speaking, people who would have a problem with the blue line really need to get some perspective.

While we’re on the subject of perspective—how many civilians were killed by drunk drivers over the weekend?

NIKV69

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:32 pm

1836Sam wrote:
I seriously thought the nation on all sides had finally acknowledged the problem of some really bad, really sick cops thanks to the travails of our poor mistreated president.

Nicholas, you of all people should really be on board now!

We never didn't acknowledge that there was bad cops. There are bad in every profession. Doctors, pilots, truck drivers etc. Why you chose to slag all police because of the bad actors or to accuse a good cop like the one who had to shoot Michael Brown in self defense is what I take offense to.

It's a tactic of the anarchist left. Seize on a piece of propaganda like "Hands up don't shoot" and run with it. So one bad cop makes all bad? Makes a cop a killer because he shot someone physically assaulting him?

Give me a break.

If you want to hate law enforcement go right ahead but you need a better reason.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

Pyrex

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:45 pm

I would have a lot easier time taking the people who oppose cops seriously if they held other authoritarians (and in particular prosecutors, the ultimate completely unnaccountable state actors) to the same standards. Yes, there are asshole, authoritarian cops, but that happens wherever you give someone, from a DMV clerk to a Senator, the power of the State, allowing them to yield much more power than they would ever be able to obtain on their own merits - I call it the Nightclub Bouncer syndrome. Most people who have an issue with cops consistently tend to praise assholes like Spitzer, Schneidermann, Bharara, etc. and defend that the solution for everything is more, not less, power for the government. Cops just get the short end of the stick because, of all "public servants", they are the only ones that do not reliably vote left.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Tugger

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Pyrex wrote:
people who oppose cops seriously

Who is actually "opposing cops"?

No one so far as I can see reading the thread. But it is a nice attempt to reframe an argument imagining that is what is being said and then running that way. Allows you to make up what ever argument and response you wish.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

c933103

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:55 pm

That make me think of local police organization which stand behind a police which have went through legal trial and is ruled guilty with sufficient evidence for beating up innocent citizens by saying the court decision is injustice, the police is innocence and the law should be changed to protect police
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

johnboy

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:26 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
GBNWB wrote:

Do you think the life of a cop is worth more than others?

I must say it’s refreshing to find we agree on something.

1836Sam

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:13 am

I'm just wondering out loud, in re FREE and FREEdom. A total hypothetical, forgive me.

Is there a flag we can hang at a security checkpoint to celebrate men with transparently obvious anger issues? You know, just so that they feel better about themselves. Nevermind what others feel. As long as they're OK. They're entitled to it after all.

TTailedTiger

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 am

I will never protect a bad coworker. I'm not going to let them make me or my profession look bad. Unfortunately cops rarely ever take on another bad cop. For the most part they are all morons. They still haven't grasped the fact that they are going to be recorded 95% of the time and they make an ass out of themselves. And then there's the problem that most of them don't even know the laws they are supposed to be upholding. They just make stuff up as they go. In a perfect world we would require cops to have law degrees and ongoing psychiatric evaluations.

CitizenJustin

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:35 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

1836Sam wrote:

Being a police officer doesn’t even rank within the top 10 most dangerous jobs in America. Let’s stop the exaggerating. Police departments across the nation have paid out billions due to police incompetence. The profession does tend to attract quite a few idiots and undesirables who chose the job to compensate for something.

Pyrex

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:02 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I will never protect a bad coworker. I'm not going to let them make me or my profession look bad. Unfortunately cops rarely ever take on another bad cop. For the most part they are all morons. They still haven't grasped the fact that they are going to be recorded 95% of the time and they make an ass out of themselves. And then there's the problem that most of them don't even know the laws they are supposed to be upholding. They just make stuff up as they go. In a perfect world we would require cops to have law degrees and ongoing psychiatric evaluations.

So, clearly you do not work in an Union environment.

And yes, that is precisely what the world needs, more lawyers. Because God knows prosecutors aren't power-hungry authoritarian assholes...

The solution to this is to get rid of qualified immunity for all government workers, but of course nobody wants that.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

atcsundevil

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 pm

The personal attacks and flamebait in this thread are ridiculous. Discuss the topic or please don't post. It isn't that difficult to show some respect to other users.