Blerg
Topic Author

Virgin Mary Statue Decapitated in California

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:10 am

Statue of the Virgin Mary at a Chino Catholic school has been decapitated and the police is currently looking for suspects. This comes a little over a month since two more Catholic statues were vandalized at a Montclair Catholic church.

Hopefully the police finds those responsible for these hate crimes.

Source:
https://www.dailybulletin.com/2019/04/0 ... no-church/

BestWestern

Re: Virgin Mary Statue Decapitated in California

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:18 am

Chino school. Hopefully our resident fashion expert isn’t involved.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Redd

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:21 am

Blerg wrote:
Statue of the Virgin Mary at a Chino Catholic school has been decapitated and the police is currently looking for suspects. This comes a little over a month since two more Catholic statues were vandalized at a Montclair Catholic church.

Source:

A hate crime (also known as a bias-motivated crime or bias crime[1]) is a prejudice-motivated crime which occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her membership (or perceived membership) in a certain social group or race.

A hate crime needs a victim. This is vandalism. Maybe religiously motivated vandalism, but vandalism nonetheless.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:54 am

Redd wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Source:

A hate crime (also known as a bias-motivated crime or bias crime[1]) is a prejudice-motivated crime which occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her membership (or perceived membership) in a certain social group or race.

A hate crime needs a victim. This is vandalism. Maybe religiously motivated vandalism, but vandalism nonetheless.

': any of various crimes (such as assault or defacement of property) when motivated by hostility to the victim as a member of a group (such as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation)'

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hate%20crime

I guess defacement of property can also qualify as a hate crime as it's directed against a specific group, Christians in this case.

scbriml

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:29 am

Blerg wrote:

Applying Catholic logic to this, all those responsible would have to do is say a Hail Mary and an Our Father and all will be good. :rotfl:

Maybe there's a revenge motive for all the child abuse?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TSS

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 am

Blerg wrote:
Redd wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Source:

': any of various crimes (such as assault or defacement of property) when motivated by hostility to the victim as a member of a group (such as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation)'

I guess defacement of property can also qualify as a hate crime as it's directed against a specific group, Christians in this case.

Fair enough, but in order for it to be a "hate crime", wouldn't it have to have been perpetrated by someone of a different religion instead of, as is traditional with decapitations of prominent statues at schools, students of that very school doing it as a prank and/or on a dare?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:47 am

TSS wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Redd wrote:

Fair enough, but in order for it to be a "hate crime", wouldn't it have to have been perpetrated by someone of a different religion instead of, as is traditional with decapitations of prominent statues at schools, students of that very school doing it as a prank and/or on a dare?

The person who committed this hateful act doesn't have to belong to any religion for it to be considered a hate crime. It can be an ex-member of the congregation or an angry member of a different religion or simply a mentally deranged person.

scbriml wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Applying Catholic logic to this, all those responsible would have to do is say a Hail Mary and an Our Father and all will be good. :rotfl:

True, could be retaliation for child abuse or it could be an angry Muslim or an atheist Antifa... at this point everything is possible.

Airstud

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:58 am

I'm with TSS on this; I think it's probably some punk kid and no ideological motive.
Pancakes are delicious.

seat64k

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:47 am

The key word here is "motivated" - we don't know who the perpetrators are, we definitely don't know the motives.

petertenthije

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:26 am

Just a decapitated Maria statue? That’s one for the amateurs.

The professionals burn down three churches in 10 days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/05/us/l ... fires.html
Attamottamotta!

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:35 am

petertenthije wrote:
Just a decapitated Maria statue? That’s one for the amateurs.

The professionals burn down three churches in 10 days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/05/us/l ... fires.html

Same thing is happening in France where hundreds of churches have been desecrated or destroyed:

'Recent incidents have included a fire in Saint-Sulpice church in Paris, human excrement smeared on the wall in Notre-Dame-des-Enfants church in Nîmes, southern France, and vandalism of the organ at Saint-Denis basilica outside Paris, where all but three of France’s kings are buried.'

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/vand ... 1554452535

Magog

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:42 am

scbriml wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The percentage of priests who were sexual abusers was no more than any other religions, was lower than the population at large and was lower than the rate for teachers.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/bl ... se-fiction

1836Sam

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Magog wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The percentage of priests who were sexual abusers was no more than any other religions, was lower than the population at large and was lower than the rate for teachers.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/bl ... se-fiction

Well MAGOG that’s quite the “liberal” interpretation of “no empirical data exist.”

MaverickM11

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:29 pm

How do we know it was not a mirakul?
E pur si muove -Galileo

BestWestern

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:48 pm

scbriml wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I was thinking of the revenge motive too.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

atcsundevil

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Keep the thread on topic. Users are free to discuss other related subjects, but please do so by creating a new topic. Discussing other events not directly related to the purpose of this thread is off topic, so please take those discussions into a more appropriate thread.

✈️ atcsundevil

Magog

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:42 pm

It’s not okay to decapitate Church statues. It can be a hate crime to do so.

1836Sam

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:48 pm

Hmmmmm. Have been over this thread several times, including that portion now consigned to history.

Not a single post said it was OK to decapitate a statue.

While we’re on the subject of stating the obvious, why not just say it’s not OK to vandalize, otherwise deface, destroy, or steal property that is not one’s own?

Tugger

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Blerg wrote:
Statue of the Virgin Mary at a Chino Catholic school has been decapitated and the police is currently looking for suspects.

It could very well be a person who feel they are just following the 2nd Commandment. It specifically speaks to not having idols/graven images of things like we now commonly create.

It could equally be someone angry and the power of the church or some specific at those churches

A confused person for sure and one that is not following the laws of society. They need to be found before destroying more property, this is not OK. People love and hold these statues to be special, and they are beautiful works of art.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:49 pm

1836Sam wrote:
Hmmmmm. Have been over this thread several times, including that portion now consigned to history.

While we’re on the subject of stating the obvious, why not just say it’s not OK to vandalize, otherwise deface, destroy, or steal property that is not one’s own?

Well you are more than welcome to start such a threat, I'll help you out, you can call it: it's not OK to vandalize, otherwise deface, destroy, or steal property that is not one's own.

1836Sam

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Blerg wrote:
1836Sam wrote:

Well you are more than welcome to start such a threat, I'll help you out, you can call it: it's not OK to vandalize, otherwise deface, destroy, or steal property that is not one's own.

WE AGREE!!!!!!

Oh happy day!!!!!

Maybe THIS is the real miracle!
Last edited by 1836Sam on Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seb146

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Since I am already going to hell, the first thing I thought when I saw the title of this thread was the episode of The Simpsons where Bart decapitated the statue of Jebadiah Springfield.

All we know is that a statue was decapitated. Chino? Middle class, suburban, quiet city near Ontario? That Chino? Since other Catholic churches are involved, maybe it is a turf war between parishes? I highly doubt it is a hate crime.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

BN747

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:32 pm

It's just a concrete mold or assembly, make another one - some high school kids can do it in an arts & crafts type class and I'm sure the Vatican has spares lying around.

Three Churches were burned down in Louisiana this week, they were of course Black Churches (not big news). I'd think religious circles would take that as a greater offense given that those were places of worship, people physically use them.

A stature, you can't go in it, it's a mere symbol, like a mascot...what's with the extreme reactions calling it a hate crime? Hate of who? Catholics? Religion? Statues? Molded Concrete?
And it's much much easier to replace or repaired than a burnt down church.

The unsolicited opinion of an devout Atheist...I'm sure I speak for most.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

einsteinboricua

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:35 am

So, let me see if I get this straight:

1. Burning of a mosque: not a hate crime.
2. Vandalism at a synagogue: not a hate crime.
3. Public burning of the Quran: not a hate crime.
4. Decapitating a statue at a Catholic (Christian) church: hate crime.

Glad to see the double standard showing its face.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DL717

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Maybe he got tired of praying to Mary and decided to go straight to the big guy Himself for better results.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

1836Sam

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:02 pm

Checking in on this detestable spree of hate crimes . . . any more Marys lose their heads since the April 1 instance cited in the article in the OP?

johnboy

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 am

scbriml wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Brilliant. :bouncy:

scbriml

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Magog wrote:
scbriml wrote:

How in the slightest does that affect the possibility that this might be a revenge attack on a symbol of an abusive church? :confused:

Magog wrote:

Statue, schmatue. Better than abusing or attacking real people.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dutchy

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Blerg wrote:

Vandalism indeed, not ok, but nothing to call this a hate crime. The Catholic church should be very careful after all these scandals in the church. It is fine to believe in these invisible beings, but don't over do it 8-)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:51 pm

scbriml wrote:
Magog wrote:
scbriml wrote:

How in the slightest does that affect the possibility that this might be a revenge attack on a symbol of an abusive church? :confused:

Magog wrote:

The Church itself is not abusive, certain people who claim to be Catholic are, quite a big difference. That's like saying we should give up on democracy just because certain politicians are corrupt.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:51 am

scbriml wrote:

Maybe someone doesn't like virgins??
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

alfa164

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:19 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Maybe someone doesn't like virgins??

Then it is probably a priest who did it; they seem determined to deflower them - both male and female - at any opportunity...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

petertenthije

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:22 pm

In (admittedly borderline) related news, the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris is on fire.

It’s way too early to look into the cause, but the cathedral is in scaffolding for maintenance.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=Not ... yped_query
Attamottamotta!

seb146

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Blerg wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Magog wrote:

Magog wrote:

The Church itself is not abusive, certain people who claim to be Catholic are, quite a big difference. That's like saying we should give up on democracy just because certain politicians are corrupt.

And there are people in charge who knew this was going on and covered it up. I understand that not all priests abused children. Just like not all school coaches abuse children. There are some probably even doing it right this minute. Like that guy at Penn State who got cover because "he is just like that" or whatever the excuse was.

Anyway, do we know why this statue was decapitated?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Blerg
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:57 pm

seb146 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
scbriml wrote:

And there are people in charge who knew this was going on and covered it up. I understand that not all priests abused children. Just like not all school coaches abuse children. There are some probably even doing it right this minute. Like that guy at Penn State who got cover because "he is just like that" or whatever the excuse was.

Anyway, do we know why this statue was decapitated?

The same exactly can be said about politics yet here we are.

A3801000

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:10 am

Sending 'thoughts and prayers'

Works when little children get shot in their heads, should work here too.

Dieuwer

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Iconoclasm = hate crime??

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:32 am

petertenthije wrote:
In (admittedly borderline) related news, the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris is on fire.

It’s way too early to look into the cause, but the cathedral is in scaffolding for maintenance.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=Not ... yped_query

FYI
https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1404 ... Z5xLYViV5o

scbriml

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:40 pm

Blerg wrote:

Oh no, won't someone think about the poor christians?

Some of those comments are pretty funny. The antichrist is among us. Stock up on crosses and holy water!