Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4682
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:26 am

See, if you visit Wikipedia's disambiguation page for the phrase "Blue Line," naturally you see links to all sorts of rapid transit lines throughout the world that are color coded blue. For instance, the Blue Line in Boston.

Another example, this time from Los Angeles, is the Blue Line.

And once you've finished your journey to Long Beach and back via the Blue Line, you can jet across the continent to Charlotte, North Carolina, and try a completely different transit line- the Blue Line.

Outside the U.S., Wikipedia is happy to inform me, Barcelona's Line 5 is color coded blue, as is a line of the Stockholm metro, and lines of the Delhi and Chennai metro systems también. Line 4 of Seoul's subway system and the Hong Kong MRT's "Island Line" are worthy of inclusion on the list.

What Wikipedia's "Blue Line" disambiguation page does NOT point to are the Tokyo Metro's Tōzai Line, even though Wiki's own page on that subject identifies the line as being coded blue. Wiki says the same thing about Tokyo's Mita Line, part of the TOEI system (though I'm not clear on if that's a whole different system or what :boggled: ).

What other line is a Blue Line?!? Linea C on Buenos Aires's "Subte" system.

And the list, in all likelihood, goes on.

Tokyo and Buenos Aires are major world cities, even in the eyes of us famously parochial Americans. Why should their Blue Lines get any less consideration than those of other - often much smaller, like St. Louis or Salt Lake - cities? :confused:
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
mad99
Posts: 1192
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Madrid’s line 10 is a blue line
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:12 pm

The Scarborough RT
 
c933103
Posts: 3824
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Most likely reason for those lines not being linked is probably that those lines have other more common names and are simply being colored blue and people don't really say it is "blue line" in their daily conversation, so there's no need to disambiguation.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20718
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:37 pm

The first light rail line built in Portland was Blue Line. They still call it Blue Line, and extended it to the western suburb of Hillsboro. All light rail lines on the Tri-Met system are color coded. Blue, Red, Green, Orange, and Yellow. I believe UTA in Salt Lake has given up on color coding their light rail lines. Their original Blue Line went from the basketball stadium (formerly Delta Center) to Sandy, to the south. RTD in Denver uses color coding for their light rail lines on the maps, but I believe they use the two end points to refer to their light rail lines.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
cranberrysaus
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Re: Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:09 pm

I'm confused. What are you asking, exactly?
 
User avatar
UltimateDelta
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:56 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:29 pm

seb146 wrote:
I believe UTA in Salt Lake has given up on color coding their light rail lines. Their original Blue Line went from the basketball stadium (formerly Delta Center) to Sandy, to the south.


At least according to their website, they're still color-coded, and the Blue Line has now been extended to the intermodal hub and all the way down to Draper at the other end.

I'll always be partial to the Washington Metro Blue Line, since I frequently take that from DCA to connect with Orange when I go to visit my grandparents in Fairfax. Sometimes I'm on the Yellow Line depending on which one arrives first, but it's just not the same.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:18 pm

 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20718
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:45 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:
I'm confused. What are you asking, exactly?


Can you deliver schwarma and hummus to my office? Thanks.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:33 pm

seb146 wrote:
cranberrysaus wrote:
I'm confused. What are you asking, exactly?


Can you deliver schwarma and hummus to my office? Thanks.


Sounds rather Muslim to me.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20718
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:40 am

1836Sam wrote:
seb146 wrote:
cranberrysaus wrote:
I'm confused. What are you asking, exactly?


Can you deliver schwarma and hummus to my office? Thanks.


Sounds rather Muslim to me.


And delicious. You're going to have to transfer off the Blue Line then take the A Train to.... well... If you take the Red Line to 45th and transfer to.... ummm... How about taking the #47 bus to Sixth and Main, then go to....

You know: you really can't get here from there..... Thank you, thank you.... I'll be here all week! :praise:
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7599
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:46 am

Our resident fashionista and public transportation expert will disagree and say that Pink Lines Matter more.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
FatCat
Posts: 962
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:49 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Our resident fashionista and public transportation expert will disagree and say that Pink Lines Matter more.

And they will point out that Pink Lines Tickets cost 20% less than Blue Lines Tickets.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4663
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:57 pm

The A/C/E line in NYC is blue as well. Even by the very, very low standards of NYC subway it is an extremely shitty subway line. Makes sense, as it serves the only two subway stations anywhere near an airport in NYC - basically their way of telling tourists "Welcome to New York. Now fuck off."
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
FatCat
Posts: 962
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Pyrex wrote:
"Welcome to New York. Now fuck off."

Isn't this the NYC Tourist Office Official Motto?
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12490
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:31 pm

I've always found "disambiguation" to be a weird and funny word, ever since I first saw it on Wikipedia.

Anyway, Red and Green Lines matter far more than Blue Lines. No one wants to go from Revere to kind-of-near-the-airport, or vice versa.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20718
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I just now remembered that SMF has a Gold Line. They have two other lines and I think one of them is Blue. I never got a chance to ride them, so I don't recall. The one line runs parallel to I-80, the other runs parallel to US-50. On the BART maps, one of the lines is shown is blue, but they never call it by the color name. Just by the end point in the East Bay.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Airstud wrote:
What Wikipedia's "Blue Line" disambiguation page does NOT point to are the Tokyo Metro's Tōzai Line, even though Wiki's own page on that subject identifies the line as being coded blue. Wiki says the same thing about Tokyo's Mita Line, part of the TOEI system (though I'm not clear on if that's a whole different system or what ).


Two different operators. They're separate system with separate fare (although one get a discount transferring between the two). Tokyo Metro is now a private operator while Toei Subway is own by the Tokyo Metropolitan gov't.

BTW Tokyo Metro Tozai Line is "Sky Blue" while Toei Mita Line is "Blue", so Mita Line is the true "Blue Line" in Tokyo.

While we're in Japan:
Osaka Metro Yotsubashi Line is Blue. It actually represent the "vein" while the "main" subway Line, Midosuji Line, is "Red" representing "Artery/Aorta". They run parallel about one block from each other through city center.
Still in Kansai Area. Kobe "Kaigan" (Bayshore) Line is Blue. It's not all that important, though, compare to the "Green" Line.
Yokohama Line 1 and Line 3 combined together is the "Blue Line". It's also the main subway line in Yokohama.
Nagoya Tsurumai Line is "Blue" (More like Sky Blue), but it's nowhere the most important subway line in Nagoya (That would be Higashiyama Line, which is "Yellow Line")
Lastly, Fukuoka Subway Hakozaki Line is also blue, but is again not the main subway line there.

In US:
Chicago 'L' Blue Line connects ORD to the Loop. Definitely important.
There's MARTA "Blue" Line also, nowhere as important as Red and Gold Line that goes to ATL.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Our resident fashionista and public transportation expert will disagree and say that Pink Lines Matter more.


:rotfl: :rotfl:

BTW there are just not many Pink Lines. There's the one in Chicago. Then there's Disneyland Resort Line in HK (So I guess Pink Line DOES matter there). Asakusa Line in Tokyo does matter also I guess (It forms the "subway" portion of that rail line between HND and NRT).
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4663
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:27 pm

FatCat wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
"Welcome to New York. Now fuck off."

Isn't this the NYC Tourist Office Official Motto?


Pretty much.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
c933103
Posts: 3824
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:34 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Airstud wrote:
What Wikipedia's "Blue Line" disambiguation page does NOT point to are the Tokyo Metro's Tōzai Line, even though Wiki's own page on that subject identifies the line as being coded blue. Wiki says the same thing about Tokyo's Mita Line, part of the TOEI system (though I'm not clear on if that's a whole different system or what ).


Two different operators. They're separate system with separate fare (although one get a discount transferring between the two). Tokyo Metro is now a private operator while Toei Subway is own by the Tokyo Metropolitan gov't.

BTW Tokyo Metro Tozai Line is "Sky Blue" while Toei Mita Line is "Blue", so Mita Line is the true "Blue Line" in Tokyo.

While we're in Japan:
Osaka Metro Yotsubashi Line is Blue. It actually represent the "vein" while the "main" subway Line, Midosuji Line, is "Red" representing "Artery/Aorta". They run parallel about one block from each other through city center.
Still in Kansai Area. Kobe "Kaigan" (Bayshore) Line is Blue. It's not all that important, though, compare to the "Green" Line.
Yokohama Line 1 and Line 3 combined together is the "Blue Line". It's also the main subway line in Yokohama.
Nagoya Tsurumai Line is "Blue" (More like Sky Blue), but it's nowhere the most important subway line in Nagoya (That would be Higashiyama Line, which is "Yellow Line")
Lastly, Fukuoka Subway Hakozaki Line is also blue, but is again not the main subway line there.

In US:
Chicago 'L' Blue Line connects ORD to the Loop. Definitely important.
There's MARTA "Blue" Line also, nowhere as important as Red and Gold Line that goes to ATL.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Our resident fashionista and public transportation expert will disagree and say that Pink Lines Matter more.


:rotfl: :rotfl:

BTW there are just not many Pink Lines. There's the one in Chicago. Then there's Disneyland Resort Line in HK (So I guess Pink Line DOES matter there). Asakusa Line in Tokyo does matter also I guess (It forms the "subway" portion of that rail line between HND and NRT).

Honestly the first line I would associate with blue in Tokyo is Keihin Tohoku Line
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4663
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:43 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
I've always found "disambiguation" to be a weird and funny word, ever since I first saw it on Wikipedia.

Anyway, Red and Green Lines matter far more than Blue Lines. No one wants to go from Revere to kind-of-near-the-airport, or vice versa.


The Green Line does suck massively, though... Somehow Bostonians think it is a good idea to merge four overground glorified trolley lines into a single, old downtown tunnel and expect things to go well.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 pm

c933103 wrote:
Honestly the first line I would associate with blue in Tokyo is Keihin Tohoku Line


Except Keihin-Tohoku Line is also "Sky Blue" (Light Blue), same color as TM Tozai Line :white: (For JR East in Tokyo Area "Blue" would be Sobu Rapid Line/Yokosuka Line or Joban Line (Mid Distance)/Mito Line or Chuo Main Line (The portion that goes to countryside, not the section within Tokyo Metro Area per se). For people going to NRT they would technically use "Blue Line" of JR.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/map/pdf/map_tokyo.pdf

But yes, Keihin-Tohoku Line matter more than Toei Mita Line by ten-folds.

On the other hand, in Keihanshin Area, "Blue Line" correspond to the Trunk Line that goes from Tsuruga, passing through Kyoto to Osaka to Kobe, to Himeji (and beyond). So "Blue Line Matters" hold true for JR West "Urban Network".

http://www.jr-odekake.net/eki/pdf/ubn.pdf
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 4682
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Blue Lines matter

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 am

c933103 wrote:
Most likely reason for those lines not being linked is probably that those lines have other more common names and are simply being colored blue and people don't really say it is "blue line" in their daily conversation, so there's no need to disambiguation.


Well the Dublin/Pleasanton line on BART isn't commonly (or ever) called the Blue Line by area residents, but wiki still has it on the list :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot], Tugger and 54 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos