Airstud
Topic Author

Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:26 am

See, if you visit Wikipedia's disambiguation page for the phrase "Blue Line," naturally you see links to all sorts of rapid transit lines throughout the world that are color coded blue. For instance, the Blue Line in Boston.

Another example, this time from Los Angeles, is the Blue Line.

And once you've finished your journey to Long Beach and back via the Blue Line, you can jet across the continent to Charlotte, North Carolina, and try a completely different transit line- the Blue Line.

Outside the U.S., Wikipedia is happy to inform me, Barcelona's Line 5 is color coded blue, as is a line of the Stockholm metro, and lines of the Delhi and Chennai metro systems también. Line 4 of Seoul's subway system and the Hong Kong MRT's "Island Line" are worthy of inclusion on the list.

What Wikipedia's "Blue Line" disambiguation page does NOT point to are the Tokyo Metro's Tōzai Line, even though Wiki's own page on that subject identifies the line as being coded blue. Wiki says the same thing about Tokyo's Mita Line, part of the TOEI system (though I'm not clear on if that's a whole different system or what :boggled: ).

What other line is a Blue Line?!? Linea C on Buenos Aires's "Subte" system.

And the list, in all likelihood, goes on.

Tokyo and Buenos Aires are major world cities, even in the eyes of us famously parochial Americans. Why should their Blue Lines get any less consideration than those of other - often much smaller, like St. Louis or Salt Lake - cities? :confused:
Pancakes are delicious.

mad99

Re: Blue Lines matter

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Madrid’s line 10 is a blue line

1836Sam

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:12 pm

The Scarborough RT

c933103

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Most likely reason for those lines not being linked is probably that those lines have other more common names and are simply being colored blue and people don't really say it is "blue line" in their daily conversation, so there's no need to disambiguation.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

seb146

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:37 pm

The first light rail line built in Portland was Blue Line. They still call it Blue Line, and extended it to the western suburb of Hillsboro. All light rail lines on the Tri-Met system are color coded. Blue, Red, Green, Orange, and Yellow. I believe UTA in Salt Lake has given up on color coding their light rail lines. Their original Blue Line went from the basketball stadium (formerly Delta Center) to Sandy, to the south. RTD in Denver uses color coding for their light rail lines on the maps, but I believe they use the two end points to refer to their light rail lines.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

cranberrysaus

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:09 pm

I'm confused. What are you asking, exactly?

UltimateDelta

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:29 pm

seb146 wrote:
I believe UTA in Salt Lake has given up on color coding their light rail lines. Their original Blue Line went from the basketball stadium (formerly Delta Center) to Sandy, to the south.

At least according to their website, they're still color-coded, and the Blue Line has now been extended to the intermodal hub and all the way down to Draper at the other end.

I'll always be partial to the Washington Metro Blue Line, since I frequently take that from DCA to connect with Orange when I go to visit my grandparents in Fairfax. Sometimes I'm on the Yellow Line depending on which one arrives first, but it's just not the same.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

1836Sam

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:18 pm

seb146

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:45 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:

Can you deliver schwarma and hummus to my office? Thanks.

1836Sam

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:33 pm

seb146 wrote:
cranberrysaus wrote:

Sounds rather Muslim to me.

seb146

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:40 am

1836Sam wrote:
seb146 wrote:
cranberrysaus wrote:

Sounds rather Muslim to me.

And delicious. You're going to have to transfer off the Blue Line then take the A Train to.... well... If you take the Red Line to 45th and transfer to.... ummm... How about taking the #47 bus to Sixth and Main, then go to....

You know: you really can't get here from there..... Thank you, thank you.... I'll be here all week! :praise:

einsteinboricua

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:46 am

Our resident fashionista and public transportation expert will disagree and say that Pink Lines Matter more.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

FatCat

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:49 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Our resident fashionista and public transportation expert will disagree and say that Pink Lines Matter more.

And they will point out that Pink Lines Tickets cost 20% less than Blue Lines Tickets.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Pyrex

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:57 pm

The A/C/E line in NYC is blue as well. Even by the very, very low standards of NYC subway it is an extremely shitty subway line. Makes sense, as it serves the only two subway stations anywhere near an airport in NYC - basically their way of telling tourists "Welcome to New York. Now fuck off."
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

FatCat

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Pyrex wrote:
"Welcome to New York. Now fuck off."

Isn't this the NYC Tourist Office Official Motto?
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

vikkyvik

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:31 pm

I've always found "disambiguation" to be a weird and funny word, ever since I first saw it on Wikipedia.

Anyway, Red and Green Lines matter far more than Blue Lines. No one wants to go from Revere to kind-of-near-the-airport, or vice versa.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

seb146

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I just now remembered that SMF has a Gold Line. They have two other lines and I think one of them is Blue. I never got a chance to ride them, so I don't recall. The one line runs parallel to I-80, the other runs parallel to US-50. On the BART maps, one of the lines is shown is blue, but they never call it by the color name. Just by the end point in the East Bay.

zakuivcustom

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Airstud wrote:
What Wikipedia's "Blue Line" disambiguation page does NOT point to are the Tokyo Metro's Tōzai Line, even though Wiki's own page on that subject identifies the line as being coded blue. Wiki says the same thing about Tokyo's Mita Line, part of the TOEI system (though I'm not clear on if that's a whole different system or what ).

Two different operators. They're separate system with separate fare (although one get a discount transferring between the two). Tokyo Metro is now a private operator while Toei Subway is own by the Tokyo Metropolitan gov't.

BTW Tokyo Metro Tozai Line is "Sky Blue" while Toei Mita Line is "Blue", so Mita Line is the true "Blue Line" in Tokyo.

While we're in Japan:
Osaka Metro Yotsubashi Line is Blue. It actually represent the "vein" while the "main" subway Line, Midosuji Line, is "Red" representing "Artery/Aorta". They run parallel about one block from each other through city center.
Still in Kansai Area. Kobe "Kaigan" (Bayshore) Line is Blue. It's not all that important, though, compare to the "Green" Line.
Yokohama Line 1 and Line 3 combined together is the "Blue Line". It's also the main subway line in Yokohama.
Nagoya Tsurumai Line is "Blue" (More like Sky Blue), but it's nowhere the most important subway line in Nagoya (That would be Higashiyama Line, which is "Yellow Line")
Lastly, Fukuoka Subway Hakozaki Line is also blue, but is again not the main subway line there.

In US:
Chicago 'L' Blue Line connects ORD to the Loop. Definitely important.
There's MARTA "Blue" Line also, nowhere as important as Red and Gold Line that goes to ATL.

einsteinboricua wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

BTW there are just not many Pink Lines. There's the one in Chicago. Then there's Disneyland Resort Line in HK (So I guess Pink Line DOES matter there). Asakusa Line in Tokyo does matter also I guess (It forms the "subway" portion of that rail line between HND and NRT).
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

Pyrex

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:27 pm

FatCat wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
"Welcome to New York. Now fuck off."

Isn't this the NYC Tourist Office Official Motto?

Pretty much.

c933103

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:34 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Airstud wrote:
What Wikipedia's "Blue Line" disambiguation page does NOT point to are the Tokyo Metro's Tōzai Line, even though Wiki's own page on that subject identifies the line as being coded blue. Wiki says the same thing about Tokyo's Mita Line, part of the TOEI system (though I'm not clear on if that's a whole different system or what ).

Two different operators. They're separate system with separate fare (although one get a discount transferring between the two). Tokyo Metro is now a private operator while Toei Subway is own by the Tokyo Metropolitan gov't.

BTW Tokyo Metro Tozai Line is "Sky Blue" while Toei Mita Line is "Blue", so Mita Line is the true "Blue Line" in Tokyo.

While we're in Japan:
Osaka Metro Yotsubashi Line is Blue. It actually represent the "vein" while the "main" subway Line, Midosuji Line, is "Red" representing "Artery/Aorta". They run parallel about one block from each other through city center.
Still in Kansai Area. Kobe "Kaigan" (Bayshore) Line is Blue. It's not all that important, though, compare to the "Green" Line.
Yokohama Line 1 and Line 3 combined together is the "Blue Line". It's also the main subway line in Yokohama.
Nagoya Tsurumai Line is "Blue" (More like Sky Blue), but it's nowhere the most important subway line in Nagoya (That would be Higashiyama Line, which is "Yellow Line")
Lastly, Fukuoka Subway Hakozaki Line is also blue, but is again not the main subway line there.

In US:
Chicago 'L' Blue Line connects ORD to the Loop. Definitely important.
There's MARTA "Blue" Line also, nowhere as important as Red and Gold Line that goes to ATL.

einsteinboricua wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

BTW there are just not many Pink Lines. There's the one in Chicago. Then there's Disneyland Resort Line in HK (So I guess Pink Line DOES matter there). Asakusa Line in Tokyo does matter also I guess (It forms the "subway" portion of that rail line between HND and NRT).

Honestly the first line I would associate with blue in Tokyo is Keihin Tohoku Line
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

Pyrex

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:43 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
I've always found "disambiguation" to be a weird and funny word, ever since I first saw it on Wikipedia.

Anyway, Red and Green Lines matter far more than Blue Lines. No one wants to go from Revere to kind-of-near-the-airport, or vice versa.

The Green Line does suck massively, though... Somehow Bostonians think it is a good idea to merge four overground glorified trolley lines into a single, old downtown tunnel and expect things to go well.

zakuivcustom

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 pm

c933103 wrote:
Honestly the first line I would associate with blue in Tokyo is Keihin Tohoku Line

Except Keihin-Tohoku Line is also "Sky Blue" (Light Blue), same color as TM Tozai Line :white: (For JR East in Tokyo Area "Blue" would be Sobu Rapid Line/Yokosuka Line or Joban Line (Mid Distance)/Mito Line or Chuo Main Line (The portion that goes to countryside, not the section within Tokyo Metro Area per se). For people going to NRT they would technically use "Blue Line" of JR.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/map/pdf/map_tokyo.pdf

But yes, Keihin-Tohoku Line matter more than Toei Mita Line by ten-folds.

On the other hand, in Keihanshin Area, "Blue Line" correspond to the Trunk Line that goes from Tsuruga, passing through Kyoto to Osaka to Kobe, to Himeji (and beyond). So "Blue Line Matters" hold true for JR West "Urban Network".

http://www.jr-odekake.net/eki/pdf/ubn.pdf
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 am

c933103 wrote:
Most likely reason for those lines not being linked is probably that those lines have other more common names and are simply being colored blue and people don't really say it is "blue line" in their daily conversation, so there's no need to disambiguation.

Well the Dublin/Pleasanton line on BART isn't commonly (or ever) called the Blue Line by area residents, but wiki still has it on the list :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.