cpd
Topic Author

Don't mess with Sydney train passengers

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:14 am

Some random guy from America starts ranting on a crowded train in Sydney:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... train.html

We don't accept that very well - and he got shut down the way most people do when they start carrying on like that. I'm surprised someone didn't kick him out of the train at the next stop.

I used to be a long time user of the trains morning and afternoon, and one thing you could always count on was for people to get together and shut-down disruptive passengers.

alfa164

Re: Don't mess with Sydney train passengers

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:30 am

I am embarrassed; we are now exporting our nut-cases to other countries...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Airstud

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:45 am

alfa164 wrote:

I'm embarassed too, but proud of those Australians.

Shame we Americans don't respond the same way when we see those holy rollers in our own towns.
Pancakes are delicious.

TSS

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:46 am

alfa164 wrote:

As he found out, Australia isn't the place to pull that crap because, God love 'em, Aussies don't pull any punches when it comes time to tell you how they feel. I can't wait to see Isaac Butterfield's take on this. :hyper:

For real entertainment value (for us, not for him) preacher dude needs to try pulling that spiel on a train or bus in Scotland, preferably Glasgow. If he does, please let someone record it from beginning to end. :thumbsup:
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

1836Sam

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:12 am

Um look Australia owes the world a hell of a lot for giving us Rupert Murdoch.

I’m sure Mr Street Preacher is an avid follower of all of his media projects.

ltbewr

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:44 am

I do appreciate the Aussie spirit of not wanting to put up with these annoying cranks, especially when a captive audience on a crowded train. We frequently get these likely phony preachers on the NYC subway. Most ignore them or at the next stop, move to another car. While we don't like their gloom and doom BS, we are not into confrontation with them as our 1st Amendment free speech laws, especially as to religion protect them as well as being a possible nut having a gun or knife on them.

cpd
Topic Author

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 am

ltbewr wrote:
I do appreciate the Aussie spirit of not wanting to put up with these annoying cranks, especially when a captive audience on a crowded train. We frequently get these likely phony preachers on the NYC subway. Most ignore them or at the next stop, move to another car. While we don't like their gloom and doom BS, we are not into confrontation with them as our 1st Amendment free speech laws, especially as to religion protect them as well as being a possible nut having a gun or knife on them.

I think it's more that we travel long distances on trains. My commute each way used to be 75 minutes so you really want to sleep at that time, not listen to some random guy on a rant (we have a few of them local as well).

There used to be a guy who'd always be on one of the later evening (5:00pm) trains out of the Sydney CBD who'd always break into a sort of talking-rap kind of rant over religion and the end of the world and all the wrongs of everything, a real crank if ever there was one. He seemed a few sandwiches short of a picnic to be honest. Never a shortage of interesting characters.

They also tend to stop really quickly when some heavy-set transit officers walk through the train, usually four or five of them.

TSS wrote:
preacher dude needs to try pulling that spiel on a train or bus in Scotland, preferably Glasgow. If he does, please let someone record it from beginning to end. :thumbsup:

I used to work with someone from Scotland, she was a lovely lady - brilliant person and absolutely at the top of her game. But if you gave her the bureaucratic run-around, oh my goodness would she erupt! She was great at cutting through lengthy processes and getting results.

Airstud

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:33 am

ltbewr wrote:

The 1st Amendment means Congress can't shut him up; it doesn't bar civilians from confronting loudmouthed jackasses.

Or, as Trace Atkins put it, "Son, the First Amendment protects you from the government - not from me."
Pancakes are delicious.

seb146

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:48 am

The last time I saw anything like this in the States was at Santa Monica Pier. Some guy screaming at the top of his lungs that we should repent and something about fornicators. Everyone ignored him. It was annoying but we could walk away. Being on a train with that happening would be awful.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Ken777

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:16 pm

TSS wrote:
As he found out, Australia isn't the place to pull that crap because, God love 'em, Aussies don't pull any punches when it comes time to tell you how they feel. I can't wait to see Isaac Butterfield's take on this. :hyper:

For real entertainment value (for us, not for him) preacher dude needs to try pulling that spiel on a train or bus in Scotland, preferably Glasgow. If he does, please let someone record it from beginning to end. :thumbsup:

I have the best of both worlds: My wife was born in Dundee and her family moved to Perth in '56. Her widowed mother took the wife and two brothers under Australia's Assisted Passage Program. Their ship was the last through the Suez Canal before it closed.

Having a combined Scot/Aussie for a wife ensures that I ALWAYS know how she feels. Works for me, though, as last week we reached our 50th Anniversary. :champagne:

1836Sam

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:47 am

Ken777 wrote:
TSS wrote:

I have the best of both worlds: My wife was born in Dundee and her family moved to Perth in '56. Her widowed mother took the wife and two brothers under Australia's Assisted Passage Program. Their ship was the last through the Suez Canal before it closed.

Having a combined Scot/Aussie for a wife ensures that I ALWAYS know how she feels. Works for me, though, as last week we reached our 50th Anniversary. :champagne:

Well done Ken + Ms Ken! :bigthumbsup:

Redd

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:45 am

I'm curious as to where these jackasses get the money to travel? They're unemployable, who gives them money?

1836Sam

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:53 am

Redd wrote:
I'm curious as to where these jackasses get the money to travel? They're unemployable, who gives them money?

Yeah evangelists are well known to be short on money ...

I suppose that’s the point.

TSS

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:28 am

Redd wrote:

Evangelical churches take up collections all the time to send "missionaries" all over the globe, frequently to places that are already predominantly Christian but not the same denomination as the sponsoring church. I kid you not, I spoke to one within the last year who was gearing up to go on a missionary trip to Spain.

Assuming they were actually going to Spain to try and turn staunch Catholics into Baptists rather than just using the church's money for a cool paid vacation, I'd love to see a video of how well that went over too.

Of course these were college-age kids from relatively rural Alabama, some of whom had taken a year or two of Spanish in high school, so there's every chance that no-one they met in Spain understood a word they said anyway.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

jupiter2

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:10 pm

1836Sam wrote:
Um look Australia owes the world a hell of a lot for giving us Rupert Murdoch.

I’m sure Mr Street Preacher is an avid follower of all of his media projects.

Unfortunately you are correct, if ever there was a person who needed shutting down, it's Rupert Murdoch, complete disgrace. The only good thing he's ever done for Australia was renounce his Australian citizenship to become an American.

I would love to see this clown try his ranting on the streets of Bankstown or Liverpool in Sydney's southwest, it may not end as he intended, a visit to a Sydney hospital is never fun, but at least it would be entertaining for everyone else.

jonnyclam123

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Wouldn't happen in the states, that would imply that people in the U.S use Amtrak.