TheFlyingDisk

Re: Julian Assange Arrested by UK Police

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Pyrex wrote:
Just because WikiLeaks' track record for accuracy is vastly superior to that of any journalistic organization anywhere in the world, it doesn't make him not a journalist.

The fact that he chose not to leak documents relating to the Russian government makes him a Russian tool and less of a journalist.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

trpmb6

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Ultimately it comes down to, was he just a publisher - publishing what people sent him. Or was he someone who helped manipulate and instruct others in how to get the data he wanted - possibly even funding operations.

I don't always agree with Geraldo Rivera, but in this case I'm taking his stance on Assange. The guy wanted nothing more than to disrupt American Politics. This isn't about Left vs Right. If wikileaks had been able to obtain documents embarrassing to Republicans they would have released those too.

The biggest irony in all this is that he kept him self locked away in the Ecuadorian embassy longer than he would have served in jail time in the US. (This of course ignores his potential extradition to Sweden for his alleged sexual assault).

Yes Chelsea Manning was the original sin, but I suspect she was groomed by others which is why she is currently in jail again for not cooperating with the Assange investigation.

Pyrex

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:37 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
Just because WikiLeaks' track record for accuracy is vastly superior to that of any journalistic organization anywhere in the world, it doesn't make him not a journalist.

The fact that he chose not to leak documents relating to the Russian government makes him a Russian tool and less of a journalist.

Even if he has those kinds of documents, not releasing information that is damaging for your own side is something journalists do literally all the time...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

cranberrysaus

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Remember when Wikileaks called the Panama Papers a Soros attack on Putin and Russia?

https://mobile.twitter.com/wikileaks/st ... 4324964352

There's no question where their motives lie.

MaverickM11

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:02 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:
Remember when Wikileaks called the Panama Papers a Soros attack on Putin and Russia?

#lockhimup
E pur si muove -Galileo

Pyrex

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:11 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:

Remember when the New York Times and the Washington Post completely ignored the biggest political scandal in U.S. history because it was their side who was doing the spying on a U.S. political campaign and trying to commit a coup against an elected President? There is no question on where their motives lie.

Putting a spin on the news that you do publish is a big part of what being a good propagandist journalist is. But an even bigger part, and one that is much more influential and pernicious (as it is harder to track), is squashing the news that you do not want to publish.

MaverickM11

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Pyrex wrote:
cranberrysaus wrote:

Remember when the New York Times and the Washington Post completely ignored the biggest political scandal in U.S. history

When was that? In a fever dream you had? Maybe in the basement of a DC pizzeria?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Tugger

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Pyrex wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Even if he has those kinds of documents, not releasing information that is damaging for your own side is something journalists do literally all the time...

So you are stating that he sides with Russia? Yes?

Just trying to clarify your statement

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

einsteinboricua

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Pyrex wrote:
Killing a journalist in an embassy in Istanbul? Not ok. Kidnapping a journalist from an embassy in London? Tots cool.

If you're gonna troll, at least get your fact straight:

1. Khashoggi's killing happened in a Saudi consulate (i.e. a Saudi citizen going to what is considered Turkish soil ceded to Saudi Arabia). Turks didn't storm the embassy to get Khashoggi out, nor did the Saudis or Turks storm a different country's embassy/consulate to kidnap/kill him. The story here is that the Saudi consulate must abide by Turkish law (which it failed to do), and killed a man abroad. The story would not have been any less significant had Khashoggi been flown to Saudi Arabia and killed there, but their spat with Turkey would have been mitigated.

2. Assange was in Ecuador's embassy in the UK, whose government withdrew the asylum status and whose ambassador invited UK police to arrest him. Had the UK entered without the Ecuadorian government's permission, you'd have a point (that's a breach of international law). That is not what happened here.

3. Equating Assange with Khashoggi is like equating Trump with JK Rowling or JRR Tolkien.

4. Since when do conservatives suddenly have an admiration of Wikileaks and Assange in particular? Is Chelsea Manning their new heroine as well (she was one of those who provided cables to Wikileaks, yet all I remember hearing was "treason"). Wikileaks is a double-edged sword. Can't wait to see if prior to 2020 they release dirt on Trump.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Pyrex

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Tugger wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

So you are stating that he sides with Russia? Yes?

Just trying to clarify your statement

Tugg

I am saying that deciding not to publish stuff does not make you not a journalist. What I said was pretty clear.

scbriml
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:22 pm

Pyrex wrote:
I am saying that deciding not to publish stuff does not make you not a journalist. What I said was pretty clear.

There's nothing clear about a sentence containing three negatives. :rotfl:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

winginit

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:25 pm

Pyrex wrote:

This is the first time I've laughed out loud at an A.net post in some time, so thank you for that. THREE nots? Yup, crystal clear.

Redd

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:58 am

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Tucker Carlson is right. Worth a watch.
https://youtu.be/ZE7OfU71Sbk

There is a good comment here as well.

Journalism is reporting something someone doesn't want reported. Everything else is public relations.

- George Orwell

L410Turbolet

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 am

Pyrex wrote:
Killing a journalist in an embassy in Istanbul? Not ok. Kidnapping a journalist from an embassy in London? Tots cool.

How exactly was this clown "kidnapped"? Had he not behaved like a total d*ckhead to the host country that provided him with asylum, the would probably let him hang around for a longer time.
Since you fell in love with Trump, your posts make no sense anymore.

CitizenJustin

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:45 am

Cowardly little man.

Aaron747

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:36 am

Redd wrote:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Tucker Carlson is right. Worth a watch.
https://youtu.be/ZE7OfU71Sbk

There is a good comment here as well.

Journalism is reporting something someone doesn't want reported. Everything else is public relations.

- George Orwell

Tucker's segment was over the top and played fast and loose with fact, as usual. The Pentagon Papers were applauded, yes, but they were significant because they came from a whistleblower. Liberals applauded them at the time because they proved LBJ and McNamara were regularly lying to the public about the progress of a war - something largely under wraps at the time. To equate that with the various types of information Assange made available, some of which endangered intelligence and civilian professionals directly, is totally irresponsible.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

mham001

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Pyrex wrote:
Putting a spin on the news that you do publish is a big part of what being a good propagandist journalist is. But an even bigger part, and one that is much more influential and pernicious (as it is harder to track), is squashing the news that you do not want to publish.

Yep, happens all the time. Where the item is placed, how it is headlined, squashed in the editors room, etc, etc. They control what we see and although I don't personally pay much attention to Fox news, it is beneficial to the public, like it or not.

For one recent example, the Seattle Times investigated and verified evidence that an acclaimed gay "Progressive" candidate running for mayor of Seattle had a history of hebophilia and his victim's lives were in ruins. They chose to keep it to themselves. The man was elected to great acclaim and at least one of his victims ultimately committed suicide. "Journalism" is tainted to the core.

scbriml
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2019 10:58 am

Assange has now been sentenced to 50 weeks in jail for breaching his bail conditions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48118908
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.