stratosphere
Topic Author

The 'NEW" Newcastle brown ale (RANT)

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Anyone on here a fan of Newcastle brown? I really enjoyed the original which apparently is going away fast due to slowing sales so Heineken is having Lagunitas in the US brew this new stuff. I just tried it and I hate it. Also the old Newcastle looks like it's going away and being replaced with the new crap.. Reminds me of Coke when they experimented with the New Coke. I guess Heineken might have to learn the hard way as well...I know I won't buy any of the new stuff and neither will my friends who I also turned on to it. Ok rant over..Thought i would post something other than Trump and Russian collusion.

Kiwirob

Re: The 'NEW" Newcastle brown ale (RANT)

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Is in the UK or outside the UK?

casinterest

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:24 pm

Haven't tried the new one, but I haven't had the old one in ages. Too much good craft beer out there. Look for a local craft and enjoy it.

Looks like Lagunitas tried too hard to Americanize it based on the below story.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/d ... story.html

"The answer was to brew Newcastle like most Lagunitas ales, with similar processes and ingredients — including, conveniently, an English ale yeast the brewery employs in its iconic IPA. The big tweak: American hops, in this case Centennial and Chinook. Lagunitas, like many American craft breweries, was built on them and their robust character.

The challenge, Marshall said, was to employ those piney-floral hops in a way that made them prominent — this is craft beer after all — but not so much as to blot out the roasty nature of a brown ale.

“The temptation was there to go all crazy with it, but we really wanted to preserve the integrity of the specifications of the existing Newcastle Brown Ale,” he said.

The result is still a radical updating. The “old” Newcastle was approachable to most palates, but thin, flaccid and most notable for a faint caramel sweetness. It was easy enough drinking and — like most brown ales — OK with a meal. (If you’re a fan, the last cases are on shelves now. When it’s gone, it’s gone.)"
Where ever you go, there you are.

KentB27

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:54 am

What country are you located in? If you live in the US, there are plenty of other brown ales from numerous craft breweries that are worth trying. I wouldn't get too hung up on Newcastle if I were you. One of my personal favorite brown ales is Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing Co. out of Montana. I definitely recommend it if you haven't tried it already.

johns624

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:57 am

Heineken screws up everything they touch. They tried killed McEwan's after they bought them, too.

ChrisKen

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:07 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Anyone on here a fan of Newcastle brown? I really enjoyed the original which apparently is going away fast due to slowing sales so Heineken is having Lagunitas in the US brew this new stuff. I just tried it and I hate it. Also the old Newcastle looks like it's going away and being replaced with the new crap.. Reminds me of Coke when they experimented with the New Coke. I guess Heineken might have to learn the hard way as well...I know I won't buy any of the new stuff and neither will my friends who I also turned on to it. Ok rant over..Thought i would post something other than Trump and Russian collusion.

It's not been 'proper' NCL Brown since 2005. Heineken have been dicking around with the recipe since 2008.

WildcatYXU

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 am

There are about 7000 craft breweries and brew pubs in the USA. Why would anyone drink a mass produced beer?
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Bongodog49

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:17 pm

What a great idea, take a beer that has been around for over 90 years and muck about with it and end up with something completely different. Drinkers buy Newkie Brown because it is typical of a brown ale, lightly hopped with malted sweetness, they do not expect it to be flavoured with US hops, if they want an IPA they will buy one, not Newkie Brown.
In the space of 10 years production of this iconic beer has moved firstly from Newcastle across the Tyne to Gateshead, then to Tadcaster and now to the Netherlands. It seems from this story that the US market will now see a totally different beer produced in the US. How can you have two different beers sold as the same ?

johns624

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
There are about 7000 craft breweries and brew pubs in the USA. Why would anyone drink a mass produced beer?
How many of the 7000 are of good quality? Newcastle Brown is (was) a known taste.

WildcatYXU

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 pm

johns624 wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:
How many of the 7000 are of good quality? Newcastle Brown is (was) a known taste.

No idea. The only way to know is to taste it. I used to drink British imports including Newcastle Brown Ale before the craft beer wave. I don't do it anymore, I found my favourites from local production. Granted, these are more expensive than mass produced beers, but they fit my taste better.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40