TWA772LR
Topic Author

Looking For a New Car

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Hey everyone!

My poor Trixie, a 2003 Honda Accord V6, is on her last leg.I bought her in 2013 from my then-brother's fiance (now my sister in law), who had it passed down from her dad who bought it new. She has 220k+ miles and is a tank, but she's nickel-and-diming me in repairs now as well as the engine light coming on and off for the catalytic converter. The writing is on the wall...

I live in Denver and everyone drives a Subaru. I looked in to the Crosstrek but was disappointed when their isn't a V6, or an I4 turbo, option; and therefore underpowered. I drive a little on the aggressive side and would like something with some power, and AWD is a plus but not a necessity since you can get safe handling in a FWD car with traction control (like my car has now). I'd also love to buy a smaller pickup truck but those are a little out of my price range.

I've been looking at the prospect of the high-end trims of the 2016/17 Accord, and they seem to be the front runner in terms of price, size, economics, and power. Mazda's offers in that range are similar too. I've even thought about going down in size to a Civic SI from the same model years; smaller in size but fun to drive even if it is a I4 engine.

I'm also open to the small SUV/crossover models, like the Honda HR-V or the Hyundai Kona. These are mostly I4 engines but also have good capacity and would be good for an eventual family. But Consumer Reports (or US News & World Report reviews) favored the Accord over the HR-V. I'm gonna go to a dealership for test drives tomorrow.

I'd buy something to drive until the wheels fall off so this is going to be an investment that will pay in dividends. Although my inner young person (not too much younger, I'm 26!) wants to say screw it and save my money and still have fun with a Miata!

Any suggestions? What cars have y'all bought lately?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TSS

Re: Looking For a New Car

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Avoid the small SUV/crossover models. As someone who watches a lot of dash cam car crash videos on YouTube, I can tell you they flip over shockingly easily with the lightest of taps in ordinary fender-benders. The Kias and Hyundais seem to be worst about this, but they're all prone to it to one degree or another.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

T18

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:42 pm

I would recommend just for comparison to the Accord to at least look at the VW Passat as it is very comparable to the aforementioned Honda. I fully agree with TSS, crossovers are just bad cars that are also not good SUVs, poor road holding and high CGs with no actual off road capacity (with a few exceptions, I have heard a Rav4 or CRV are decent for mixed surfaces but not 'Jeep' stuff).
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Ken777

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:12 am

The Mita might be a great choice - my wife drove a MX-3 for 17 years so Mazdas can last a long time. the Miata, however, cannot handle a wife, kid and Diaper Bags. You might go for a used one to help minimize the investment in case you miss the right gal a month after getting the car.

I have a Buick Encore, which is a great SUV for city driving. When we head out of town with the Grandkids I do long for bit larger SUV and the Buick Envision does catch my eye. I'm strong on GM simply because of their On Star system. On Star is a sort of a dud UNTIL you need it, then it can be a life saver.

TSS

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:30 am

Ken777 wrote:
I'm strong on GM simply because of their On Star system. On Star is a sort of a dud UNTIL you need it, then it can be a life saver.

While OnStar may have been the first of it's type, at least it's the first one I remember, unless I'm much mistaken all passenger vehicles sold in the US offer a similar system now. Such systems include a microphone to listen to private in-car conversations in addition to system commands as well as a GPS unit so your vehicle's location can be found, marked, and tracked at any time.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

vikkyvik

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:33 am

I'm on my third Mazda now. 2010 Mazda 3, 2015 Mazda 6, and now a 2018 Mazda CX-9.

For crossovers, the CX-9 is great, and it handles like a much smaller car, with some pretty good pickup (I4 turbo). Don't expect to fit 7 people in it with any semblance of comfort, but it'll easily hold 4 with some good cargo room if you fold down the third row. People seem to love their CX-5s as well, but that was a bit too small for me, and I'm not sure if they offer them turbo yet (I think they might).

They didn't offer the Mazda 6 with a 4-turbo (or a V6) when I bought mine, but they do now, which kinda pisses me off. I'd definitely have looked in that direction if I didn't want something larger.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

KentB27

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:44 am

If you're going to buy an Accord, don't buy a 2018 or newer. The newer Accords with turbo engines are having reliability issues with oil and gas mixing in the crankcase. The 2013-2017 Accords are excellent cars, however. Have you thought about a Subaru Legacy? You can get it with a 3.0 liter flat 6 if the 2.5 liter flat 4 isn't powerful enough for you. You can also get an Outback with the 3.0 flat 6 if you want more utility than a sedan.

luckyone

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:47 am

I agree that the naturally aspirated boxer 4 in most Subies is underpowered. Colorado altitude would make that even more pronounced.

If you can find one, however, the last model Forester has a turbo 2.0L boxer four that might fit your needs.

Just a point of slight correction: Subaru’s six cylinder is a 3.6L boxer layout.

Hyundai’s 2.0L and 1.6L turbos mate very nicely with their 7-speed DCTs. The Kona has very little cargo space, though.

The CX-5 does indeed now come with a 2.5L turbo. You’re unlikely to find a used one yet. The CX-9 is also delightful.

The new CR-V has a turbo. My brother’s wife has one and it’s great. If you’re an aggressive driver stay away from the HR-V. Versatile, roomy car. But with a 1.8L naturally aspirated engine it’s S-L-O-W and its torsion beam rear suspension means that it never feels completely settled on bumpy urban streets. A couple of my friends have them and it’s not my favorite car to ride in.

Don’t even entertain the thought of the Toyota CH-R. You’ll turn 27 before you hit 60mph. I haven’t tested the new RAV-4, but the old one was basically a Corolla on stilts. Meaning it’s very reliable but nothing at all special.

The Buick Envision is a nice package.

The last generation VW Tiguan comes with the same 2.0L I4 as the Golf GTI, which means it has plenty of giddyup, and steers nicely for a crossover. It has AWD available. Rear cargo can be a bit skimpy but it has plenty of second row legroom. You can get them for a song. Just get a warranty.

Ford has introduced a new Escape, so you may get a good deal on an outgoing model, which has a 2.0T.

Also check out the Chevrolet Equinox. It has a couple engine choices. All turbos. And there’s a diesel, which drives nicely.

If you want to think outside the box, check out the Volvo XC-70 and V60 Cross country. They’re tanks. I have an XC-70 3.0T, an inline six that puts out power and torque for days. It’s the best car I’ve ever had. Put the seats down and you’re looking at a cargo bay that outclasses most Midsize SUVs. It’s incredibly comfortable. You can get the same engine in a late model XC-60, but you sacrifice rear seat legroom in that model, though you win on handling.
Last edited by luckyone on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

luckyone

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:06 am

The Passat sedan is also great.

Mazda 6 now comes with a turbo.

The Mazda 3, Civic and Golf hatches are a sheer joy to drive and very practical. The Civic’s styling, however, is too much for me and I still am not used to it. Like a lot of cars coming out of Japan the last few years it looks like an angry robot.

Also have a look at the Golf wagon/Alltrack. It will surprise you with how excellent it drives and how practical it is.

The Corolla has a new hatch that is getting good reviews.

Hyundai Sonatas and Kia Optimas (two takes on the same platform and powertrain) are ubiquitous and easy to get for cheap. The newer the model the better they’re equipped and Hyundai/Kia are making serious strides.

Camry’s are white bread ubiquitous. Can’t go wrong. Can always do better. Same with the Nissan Altima.

mham001

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:27 am

luckyone wrote:
Camry’s are white bread ubiquitous. Can’t go wrong. Can always do better. Same with the Nissan Altima.

The Camry Hybrid LX I rent for road trips has plenty of zip, it couples the electric with the gas when you push it. Well appointed too. As a speed freak/anti-Toyota snob I would have never considered it but have been very surprised.