DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Reparations are being asked from the United States

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:46 am

Slave reparations and other reparations.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... eparations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_acres_and_a_mule

It used to be 40 Acres and a mule.

What should it be today??
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

seb146

Re: Reparations are being asked from the United States

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:49 am

Giving minorities the exact same treatments white evangelicals get. Better schools, better housing, better pay, fewer murders by cop, lower addiction rates.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

stl07

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:41 am

seb146 wrote:
Giving minorities the exact same treatments white evangelicals get. Better schools, better housing, better pay, fewer murders by cop, lower addiction rates.....

yea but what you just described is government functioning as it should, which it doesn't, not even for white evangelicals
I'd rather be in FLYover country than layover county

seb146

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:50 am

stl07 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

yea but what you just described is government functioning as it should, which it doesn't, not even for white evangelicals

So, what then? Take care of the white evangelicals first? Go read about life on reservations. It is heartbreaking. Because white evangelicals had to have land. Go read about the school to jail pipeline in African American communities. Native Latinos are really getting horrible treatment right now. Even here in the West where Spanish and Mexicans settled before the United States ever thought of coming here.

stl07

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:02 am

seb146 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

So, what then? Take care of the white evangelicals first? Go read about life on reservations. It is heartbreaking. Because white evangelicals had to have land. Go read about the school to jail pipeline in African American communities. Native Latinos are really getting horrible treatment right now. Even here in the West where Spanish and Mexicans settled before the United States ever thought of coming here.

Ok, then we need to stop chastising every politician who runs with one of their campaign promises of helping minorities as "triggered" or a "reverse discrimination supporter" or "racist against whites" like we see all the time

stratosphere

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:04 am

seb146 wrote:

So how do you break that down to a monetary amount? You know the Democratic politicians are pandering and promising the 2019 version of 20 acres and a mule to get the African American vote. You know how bout personal responsibility in the African American community? Does that enter into any discussion? I don't give cops a pass there are way too many who abuse the badge at the same time there are a lot of Blacks who if they just obeyed instructions they would still be alive today even I as a white man know if I do stupid shit in a traffic stop I might even get shot. As far as better schools and better housing and better pay who is responsible for that? I am from northern NJ I saw the next town of Paterson NJ the blacks were given I say again GIVEN very nice apartments in what I now call the projects free and they totally destroyed them and you wonder why we don't want them in our neighborhood. Get off the white man is the problem bullshit. Personal responsibility counts for something but you liberals don't ever count that.

stl07

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:18 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:

So how do you break that down to a monetary amount? You know the Democratic politicians are pandering and promising the 2019 version of 20 acres and a mule to get the African American vote. You know how bout personal responsibility in the African American community? Does that enter into any discussion? I don't give cops a pass there are way too many who abuse the badge at the same time there are a lot of Blacks who if they just obeyed instructions they would still be alive today even I as a white man know if I do stupid shit in a traffic stop I might even get shot. As far as better schools and better housing and better pay who is responsible for that? I am from northern NJ I saw the next town of Paterson NJ the blacks were given I say again GIVEN very nice apartments in what I now call the projects free and they totally destroyed them and you wonder why we don't want them in our neighborhood. Get off the white man is the problem bullshit. Personal responsibility counts for something but you liberals don't ever count that.

The schooling system is horrible here in STL. All the black schools (yes, we still have black schools) get there funding only from poorer, black neighborhoods so they end up crappy and the white/Asian schools are funded by suburban wealthy taxpayers and are extremely extravagant and have way too much money. Every time reform is suggested, the argument of "self-determination" and small, local government is bought up to disguise and divert attention. And then they wonder why all the "crazy blacks rob and steal." Anyway, we do have a lot of progress going on from newer generations (as in like 70-year-olds and younger) on both sides of the aisle as the old farts become more and more of a minority in voting. The top percent of black students are offered to be bussed into the suburban schools free of charge and a lot of the expensive private schools give the ones that live in these disadvantaged areas free tuition. Still, every time the election comes around, people always use "the potential of combining school districts" as a scare tactic against politicians. But I say what's so bad if we do that, the bad schools will get money and the rich schools will learn fiscal responsibility.

stl07

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:21 am

So what I'm getting at is that the best form of reparation is equality and looking at each other as American brothers and sisters instead of black and white.

mham001

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:14 am

Whitey can't change their culture.

Forget reparations. Give them the chance for free education through college for one generation and then stop with the Affrimative Action nonsense (why do the children of fresh immigrants get benefits meant for descendants of slaves - blacks got screwed again). There will be no prosperity without an education and in my region, in the exact same schools in the exact same neighborhood conditions, certain cultures succeed and others don't and the lines are distinct. But I was told here that we cannot associate "culture" with color, so I guess we just can't talk about it.

BN747

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:40 am

A very complex issue.

Right now, Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, AMLO has publicly demanded an Official Apology from Spain and the Vatican.
Where this will go, I don't know...but it will not dies...it will only grow.

Here in America, the same.

But first, let me say that a few years ago, I felt that US Reparations should be two fold.

1.First an official apology must be extended by the United States for permitting the practice.

2.Exact a financial penalty on every state that participated in legal state sanctioned slavery.
That would include all of the original 13 first states.
- those that had the shortest period of Slavery, the penalty would be on the lower end of a sliding scale.
- the Southern States that carried on with the practice without making war on the US would pay a higher penalty.
- the Southern States that went to War to maintain the practice would pay the steepest penalty.
The Reparations Penalty Fund would be dispersed in payments to individual Black Families with lineage established from the 1600s (colonial period until 1954).
The Reparations Penalty Fund would also payoff the balance or pay 50% toward home-ownership to any Black household of Low Incomes that apply.

Now the problem with that - Economically, it would Financially devastate AL, AR, KY, KS, LA, MD, MO, MS, NC, SC,TN, VA, WV....Forever. They'd all become like Mississippi today - a complete mess. Other states would have carry their burden.

Today, I think some sort of resolution must happen one way or another but it will require a long period of concentrated townhalls, committees and studies to emerge with acceptable options. And bear in mind, whatever the settled upon agreement to address centuries of wrong doing...it's now going to open the door to address the damage and harm to Native Americans - which will be huge and justified.

The Nations involved in the Slave Trade, who clearly enriched their coffers, must also be apart of this process - actually, I'd have more faith in a European study of the issue vs an American one because here in the US, those people who hate or want to keep Confederate statues (politicians) will only muddy the process because they are trying there very best to abscond from any responsibility for their states role in Slavery. They will not prove to be honest brokers - proof of that has been demonstrated to us by how quickly they ceased on the Roberts Court ruling 'Voting Rights protections are no longer need'...every state under the Voting Rights protections ruling immediate dismantled what was in place - that is their current attitude on 'Righting Past Wrongs'.

But any paid Education solutions are moot...America needs a free Education for all citizens apart from reparations...a separate issue.

But they lasting damage occurring past the point of Emancipation is still here today - black police shootings, blacks treated horribly by housing authorities, banks, etc are extensive.
But somehow this must all be taken into consideration of any solution.

The South's easy answer is 'c'mon Black People, it was along time ago...let it go.' Rapists wish you'd forget what they just did too. But the victim never forgets and pain never fades.
So Texas all these states 'erasing America's Original sin from history books' will only made future solutions worse as America grows darker and less white. The longer the nation waits to deal with this, the worse it's going get. Time is not on side of those that strive to put it off and prolong it.

I for one, do not have an answer but I do plan read the thoughts of published pieces on the issue, I need to hear what brighter and more focused minds on issue.

But I'd like to see something Fair and Just in the end...it's just a steep, steep precipice...we are headed that way anyhow.

Where it will go, I currently have no idea.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Cadet985

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:54 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

What should it be today?

NOTHING!

Nobody alive today was a slave in this country, and nobody alive in this country today ever owned a slave.

Also take into account the people who even when slavery was legal never owned slaves as well as the millions who have immigrated here since slavery became illegal.

The descendants of slaves are owed nothing.

Marc

drew777

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:42 am

It frustrates the hell of me when the Democratic party goes off on crap like this. What does this do other than divide people? Reparations aren't going to be passed by Congress. Give people more opportunities not handouts.

The government could help bring more people into the middle class but they won't. We could have an education system like Germany that takes kids not bound for college and teaches them real skills. We could properly tax companies that outsource all their working class jobs overseas.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:22 pm

It's what happened after slavery that, to me, was even more shocking than slavery.

I don't think, we should tolerate "street thug violence" of any stripe. The fact that the KKK thuggery was based on race is a true evil.

The 14th Amendment was adopted on July 9, 1868, not July 9 1968.

The 15th Amendment on Feb. 3, 1870, not Feb. 3, 1970.

Yet look at the race based discrimination that was allowed to flourish in the south post Reconstruction.

So much blood, mostly non-black blood, was shed to end the institution of slavery. That's quite a payment.

Then, the nation did have the will to stop the actions of the KKK post reconstruction.

What moral weakness!!

Like saying... "You're technically not slaves now... enjoy life !!"
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:25 pm

stl07 wrote:
So what I'm getting at is that the best form of reparation is equality and looking at each other as American brothers and sisters instead of black and white.

IMO black Americans would be at the back of the line after native Americans and Hawaiians, these people are the ones that have really been screwed over by the US, blacks had nothing and were given there freedom, you can’t ask for more than that.

Magog

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:36 pm

School vouchers would be a good start. But the Democrats fight them. So odd.

stl07

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
stl07 wrote:

IMO black Americans would be at the back of the line after native Americans and Hawaiians, these people are the ones that have really been screwed over by the US, blacks had nothing and were given there freedom, you can’t ask for more than that.

Honestly, I think that all this classification by race is getting us wrong. Natives, Hawaiians, Blacks, Asians, whites, blues, purples, whatevers are owed nothing besides equality before the law and equal access to education. Fix those things for all races and your problem ceases to exist

stl07

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Magog wrote:
School vouchers would be a good start. But the Democrats fight them. So odd.

How would that help poor kids though? They are not the ones going to private schools. The reason, at least on my end, as to why I don't support them (I don't know about the democrats) is that they take away funds that could help underprivileged high schools that then in turn lower the crime rate and increase job placement

MaverickM11

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

What should it be today?

NOTHING!

Nobody alive today was a slave in this country, and nobody alive in this country today ever owned a slave.

Also take into account the people who even when slavery was legal never owned slaves as well as the millions who have immigrated here since slavery became illegal.

Marc

Black American's wealth and families were systematically destroyed for centuries to the direct benefit of white Americans--they literally worked for free so that white America could grow, prosper, and accumulate wealth, property, and family ties. That has long lasting generational consequences: black family wealth was zip because it had all been extracted by whites--that's at the *start* of civil rights. I don't know how you undo that, let alone if reparations would do it, but the disparity in wealth is a direct descendant of slavery that exists to this day.
E pur si muove -Galileo

BN747

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:22 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

What should it be today?

NOTHING!

Marc

Black American's wealth and families were systematically destroyed for centuries to the direct benefit of white Americans--they literally worked for free so that white America could grow, prosper, and accumulate wealth, property, and family ties. That has long lasting generational consequences: black family wealth was zip because it had all been extracted by whites--that's at the *start* of civil rights. I don't know how you undo that, let alone if reparations would do it, but the disparity in wealth is a direct descendant of slavery that exists to this day.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Couldn't have said it better and summarized perfectly. And factually as well.
Prepare for the non-believers to unload with a trove of nonsensical and irrelevance.

Deep and multi-dimensional thought is required to see things/perspectives beyond your own. Complex thought. Empathy.
The antithetical position to that falls into selfishness, greed and inhumanity.

Children and those of like minds aren't capable of distinguishing the divide or bridging it.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

flyguy89

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:27 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

What should it be today?

NOTHING!

Marc

Mostly agree with you here. Reparations would have the effect of people thinking writing a check and being done with it would be the end of racism without addressing the more systemic issues. We know now that simply signing off on massive transfer payments isn't going to fix the root problems.

BN747

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:23 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:

What should it be today?

NOTHING!

Marc

Mostly agree with you here. Reparations would have the effect of people thinking writing a check and being done with it would be the end of racism without addressing the more systemic issues. We know now that simply signing off on massive transfer payments isn't going to fix the root problems.

Well said and that is the truth.

History shows us when efforts of atonement aren't made toward the suffering end /party of that equation...ill feelings linger and past on from generation to generation...
..with no end in sight. A debt (of this magnitude) owed..is a debt that cannot disappear by burying it...it will continue to resurface until it is addressed, dealt with and or paid -in full.

Looking back in time, making wrongs-right was non-essential or just outright ignored but beginning with the atonement and acknowledgement of treatment of US Japanese Americans (but no internment for the US German citizens - simultaneously), Japan's attempt to atone for crimes against Korea, China and as we see Latin America nations casting a leery eye at Spain.was the beginning of a era making past wrongs 'right'...it will certainly continue. Atonment is on the increase, not the decrease.

BN747
Last edited by BN747 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TTailedTiger

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:28 pm

seb146 wrote:

How exactly are white people responsible for getting minorities hooked on drugs? Do you think they lack the mental capacity to make good decisions?

seb146

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:47 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

How exactly are white people responsible for getting minorities hooked on drugs? Do you think they lack the mental capacity to make good decisions?

There was the crack epidemic in the 1980s but also selling drugs is seen as a way to make quick money. That part of rapper's back stories is oftentimes glorified. They sold drugs in the streets and then made it big with a record deal. Whites, especially in rural areas, simply see Blacks as drug dealers and lazy and not willing to do anything to move up. No matter how hard they work and what they legally do.

It is almost like being in an abusive relationship.

If it were not for Europeans colonizing North America, Blacks would probably not have been here in such great numbers, anyway.

MaverickM11

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:14 am

flyguy89 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:

What should it be today?

NOTHING!

Marc

I think reparations talk is radioactive—republicans lose their mind at the talk of black lives *mattering*. I wish democrats would drop the word and talk more about inequality basics 101, as in how we got to this point. Then again maybe talking about reparations now means that’s where we are headed, since the left always tends to push the country forward.
E pur si muove -Galileo

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Slave reparations and other reparations. What should it be today??

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

atcsundevil

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Stick to the topic or the thread will be locked.

✈️ atcsundevil

winginit

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 am

EA CO AS wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Reagan authorized the payment of $20,000 to every surviving victim of Japanese internment during WWII. That was, obviously, a clear cut case of reparations being paid. Did you know that? Do you agree with what Reagan did?

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:25 am

winginit wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Reagan authorized the payment of $20,000 to every surviving victim of Japanese internment during WWII. That was, obviously, a clear cut case of reparations being paid. Did you know that? Do you agree with what Reagan did?

I agree with what Reagan did, as the actions taken by the Roosevelt administration was a case of the federal government illegally and directly rounding up people of Japanese descent, whereas the government did not begin the slave trade. In fact, The Framers carefully drafted the Constitution so that it did not give moral sanction to slavery. Also, payments were made to those 100,000 still living who were illegally placed in internment camps, not everyone who was ever related to someone put in a camp.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

seb146

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:38 am

EA CO AS wrote:
winginit wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

I agree with what Reagan did, as the actions taken by the Roosevelt administration was a case of the federal government illegally and directly rounding up people of Japanese descent, whereas the government did not begin the slave trade. In fact, The Framers carefully drafted the Constitution so that it did not give moral sanction to slavery. Also, payments were made to those 100,000 still living who were illegally placed in internment camps, not everyone who was ever related to someone put in a camp.

Then there were the individual states passing laws making African Americans worth less than Whites. Separate but equal, 3/5 law, poll taxes, voting tests, share croppers, sundown laws....

With all of the cross breeding and rape and legal immigration, it is almost impossible to know who now is a direct descendant of slaves. That does not mean we should do nothing. Even today, African Americans still face hate and violence simply based on their skin color. Whites have a preconceived notion of who they are and what their intentions are.

The framers also owned slaves and many thought of them as property and not American citizens.

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:49 am

seb146 wrote:
Then there were the individual states passing laws making African Americans worth less than Whites.

So your argument is this isn't a federal issue, but rather one that the individual states that supported slavery should own? Tell me more about this thinking...

seb146 wrote:
3/5 law

Which had nothing to do with stating someone was less of a person, but rather, how those people should be counted for the purpose of apportioning representation in Congress for those states who did have slaves.

seb146 wrote:
it is almost impossible to know who now is a direct descendant of slaves. That does not mean we should do nothing.

Actually, that's exactly what it means.

seb146 wrote:
African Americans still face hate and violence simply based on their skin color.

As do Asian Americans, Italian Americans, Irish Americans, Mexican Americans, Cuban Americans, etc. Unfortunately, there are always going to be some form of racist assholes in the world.

seb146 wrote:
The framers also owned slaves and many thought of them as property and not American citizens.

Some did, and to say they were wrong to do so is an understatement of the highest magnitude.

Tell me this; if you support reparations being paid to descendants of former slaves, would you also favor those reparations being paid only by taxpayers who are direct descendants of former slave owners?

seb146

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:19 am

EA CO AS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Then there were the individual states passing laws making African Americans worth less than Whites.

So your argument is this isn't a federal issue, but rather one that the individual states that supported slavery should own? Tell me more about this thinking...

The federal government set out a guide. Evangelicals said "well, nothing in there specifically states discriminating based on race, so let's discriminate based on race." This is the argument Republicans have about marriage equality and extending equality to LGBTQ people.

EA CO AS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
3/5 law

Which had nothing to do with stating someone was less of a person, but rather, how those people should be counted for the purpose of apportioning representation in Congress for those states who did have slaves.

Whites started off claiming they were simply property, then claiming they only deserved 3/5 representation. Not full representation, but 3/5.

EA CO AS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
it is almost impossible to know who now is a direct descendant of slaves. That does not mean we should do nothing.

Actually, that's exactly what it means.

So the white people who kidnapped and enslaved an entire race should not be held accountable? The government who encouraged it in the name of Christianity and money making should not be held accountable? Let's just ignore it. Nothing happened. Nothing to see here. Move along.

EA CO AS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
African Americans still face hate and violence simply based on their skin color.

As do Asian Americans, Italian Americans, Irish Americans, Mexican Americans, Cuban Americans, etc. Unfortunately, there are always going to be some form of racist assholes in the world.

Unfortunately, the racist a-holes are now in control of two and a half branches of government, too. And one specific branch encouraging violent behavior toward Latinos, Blacks, LGBTQ, Muslims....

EA CO AS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Some did, and to say they were wrong to do so is an understatement of the highest magnitude.

Tell me this; if you support reparations being paid to descendants of former slaves, would you also favor those reparations being paid only by taxpayers who are direct descendants of former slave owners?

This country has and continues to treat minorities horribly. Today it is MAGA fan boys and their treatment of Latinos and Muslims. It has also been African Americans and LGBTQ and Asians and Natives. Maybe instead of making a blanket statement about the government, a certain sector of society needs to examine their morals?

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:30 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
In fact, The Framers carefully drafted the Constitution so that it did not give moral sanction to slavery.

LOL wut. The Civil War was about states rights too right? And slaves came in the bottom of ships as immigrants? They were treated so well! Your ability to rewrite inconvenient reality out of history is impressive.
E pur si muove -Galileo

slider

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:02 pm

seb146 wrote:

You don't "give" anyone anything unless they can receive it, be responsible, uphold their end of the bargain.

No reparations, the issue is ridiculous on its face and should be laughed out of conversation.

Once the black community decides to get off the proverbial political plantation and stop voting for a party that keeps them in metaphorical chains, maybe then they'll see change. I've said it before and it bears repeating--the prevailing black culture is broken: the family unit, the pop culture, fatherlessness, abortion rates, crime rates, the dependence on government that has kept them down, and so on. The political undercurrent has to change,

It's not all whitey's fault. This nonsense must stop.

sccutler

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:40 pm

It is critically important to those whose political agenda (and political careers) depend upon continued distrust, hatred and separation, that this conversation continue.

The terrible myth is that anything government can do (other than zealously and aggressively protecting freedom, civil rights and freedom of opportunity) can ever solve the inequities of life.

It cannot happen. Well, actually, it can, but the "equality" that will be delivered will be equality of suffering, equality of misery, the utter destruction of the opportunities that allow us (the collective "us") to thrive.

Having lived in various areas of this great country, I have observed that, on balance, the most racist attitudes and most egregious <i>de facto</i> segregation now exist in states which were never part of the "South."

As long as the conversation continues to be about punishment, slavery continues - and in this construct, we are all slaves. Is this really what you want?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

seb146

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:45 pm

slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You don't "give" anyone anything unless they can receive it, be responsible, uphold their end of the bargain.

No reparations, the issue is ridiculous on its face and should be laughed out of conversation.

Once the black community decides to get off the proverbial political plantation and stop voting for a party that keeps them in metaphorical chains, maybe then they'll see change. I've said it before and it bears repeating--the prevailing black culture is broken: the family unit, the pop culture, fatherlessness, abortion rates, crime rates, the dependence on government that has kept them down, and so on. The political undercurrent has to change,

Let's talk about this. For many decades, wealthy white men were in charge. Very few black men could get ahead. After the Civil War, blacks were still given less and less and told they had to work for it. That they were being given every opportunity, even though they were starting beyond the back of the pack. Even in the 20th Century, they were given separate but "equal" treatment, told they could only eat at certain tables, ride in certain parts of the bus, live in certain neighborhoods, hold certain jobs, go to certain schools. Even when they worked for equality.

Historically, it is whitey's fault. Because of equal rights legislation, that is individuals being forced to treat blacks as equals, they are finally getting opportunities. It is still a slow march. And still, they start far behind. They don't have billions of dollars being handed to them from their parents. They still have to work their behinds off harder, in some cases, than whites. Still. In the 21st Century.

slider

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:28 pm

seb146 wrote:
slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Let's talk about this. For many decades, wealthy white men were in charge. Very few black men could get ahead. After the Civil War, blacks were still given less and less and told they had to work for it. That they were being given every opportunity, even though they were starting beyond the back of the pack. Even in the 20th Century, they were given separate but "equal" treatment, told they could only eat at certain tables, ride in certain parts of the bus, live in certain neighborhoods, hold certain jobs, go to certain schools. Even when they worked for equality.

Historically, it is whitey's fault. Because of equal rights legislation, that is individuals being forced to treat blacks as equals, they are finally getting opportunities. It is still a slow march. And still, they start far behind. They don't have billions of dollars being handed to them from their parents. They still have to work their behinds off harder, in some cases, than whites. Still. In the 21st Century.

And yet, in spite of all that, rural blacks in the US had higher literacy rates than rural whites from the Industrial Revolution on. The rise of black colleges, which were (and remain by and large) damn fine institutions gave rise to upward mobility as well. We all know how the Civil Rights battle went down, and yes, it wasn't perfect. But few countries OWN their past in the manner the US did. Affirmative action, DBE/CBE contracting and such have all helped close the gap as well. But the Great Society set them backwards, not forwards. Barriers have been broken. The rest is up to them. Break free.

I didn't own a slave, you didn't own a slave, no debt is owed. My sons were good but not great students. They couldn't get into a few of their preferred colleges due to admissions demographics. Why should they pay the price for that? Why does the left block school choice? Why does the left encourage children out of wedlock? Why does the left continue to create and foment the conditions that suppress minorities? They claim to be the party of the minority, yet every policy they enact keeps them on the virtual plantation--it's economic and social shackles today. The problem is nuanced, yes, and very deep but not complicated.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm

If Americans should pay reparations, so then should the British, French and Spanish slavers who shipped the slaves to the New World. Them the Muslims and rival tribes who captured the would be slaves and brought them to the ports to sold.

Oh BTW, did freed slaves have wealth that was stolen from them by whites? Somebody posted that their wealth was destroyed by “whitey”; I missed the Gilded Age of blacks in the US that was destroyed.

Is every group claiming victimhood now due reparations? The Irish who were treated like dogs? Jews?

GF

Aaron747

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:46 pm

This while conversation is moot because the target has no money. America cannot afford reparations - she can't maintain infrastructure or a fair heathcare system. As the public debt continues to spiral into a wasteful abyss, this is the last thing that should come to the fore.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 am

slider wrote:
And yet, in spite of all that, rural blacks in the US had higher literacy rates than rural whites from the Industrial Revolution on. The rise of black colleges, which were (and remain by and large) damn fine institutions gave rise to upward mobility as well. We all know how the Civil Rights battle went down, and yes, it wasn't perfect. But few countries OWN their past in the manner the US did. Affirmative action, DBE/CBE contracting and such have all helped close the gap as well. But the Great Society set them backwards, not forwards. Barriers have been broken. The rest is up to them. Break free.

I didn't own a slave, you didn't own a slave, no debt is owed. My sons were good but not great students. They couldn't get into a few of their preferred colleges due to admissions demographics. Why should they pay the price for that? Why does the left block school choice? Why does the left encourage children out of wedlock? Why does the left continue to create and foment the conditions that suppress minorities? They claim to be the party of the minority, yet every policy they enact keeps them on the virtual plantation--it's economic and social shackles today. The problem is nuanced, yes, and very deep but not complicated.

Why all the hate for the left? The left does not create conditions that suppress minorities. Please give examples. The left foes not encourage children out of wedlock. Please give examples. The left does not block school choice. Please give examples. The Great Society lowered the numbers of people in poverty. Including blacks. Your kids didn't get into the school they wanted? They should have worked harder. It is their fault, not the school's fault.

Minorities in general are doing better in states spending more on education and health care.

LittleFokker

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:49 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Geezus Cripes, so much racism in one post. For starters, drug use amongst the various races is virtually identical, even though blacks are prosecuted more often and harsher for it:

http://www.hamiltonproject.org/charts/r ... al_justice.

"they lack the mental capacity to make good decisions" Holy shit, I wish all white people were treated so harshly for the imperfections of a sampling of our membership they way other minorities in the country are (Blacks, Muslims, Latinos, Gays, etc).

It's more like you lack the mental capability for rational thought.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

seb146

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 am

LittleFokker wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Geezus Cripes, so much racism in one post. For starters, drug use amongst the various races is virtually identical, even though blacks are prosecuted more often and harsher for it:

"they lack the mental capacity to make good decisions" Holy shit, I wish all white people were treated so harshly for the imperfections of a sampling of our membership they way other minorities in the country are (Blacks, Muslims, Latinos, Gays, etc).

Shine is still being made and sold in Appalachia. Mostly being consumed by whites. Heroin and prescription drug use is up among whites as well. Do whites lack mental capacity as well?

TTailedTiger

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:30 am

LittleFokker wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Can someone tell me how to report this post?

I did not say that. You purposely misquoted me. I said "DO they lack the mental capacity to make such decisions?"

That is really low. You should be ashamed of yourself.

seb146

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:15 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Can someone tell me how to report this post?

I did not say that. You purposely misquoted me. I said "DO they lack the mental capacity to make such decisions?"

That is really low. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Can we take a moment to appreciate the graphs included in the link? Blame black folk all you want, but the graph shows whites sell drugs at a higher rate and blacks are incarcerated at a MUCH higher rate. But, yeah, let's blame the blacks for... what is the excuse? no bootstraps? no education? no jobs? There are so many, I forget. #alllivesmatter

WIederling

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:24 am

Aaron747 wrote:
This while conversation is moot because the target has no money. America cannot afford reparations - she can't maintain infrastructure or a fair heathcare system. As the public debt continues to spiral into a wasteful abyss, this is the last thing that should come to the fore.

Super Easy:
repurpose the "Ministry of War" budget. Quite the giving stash. $700b ( $16b should be enough for defense :-)
Murphy is an optimist

Aaron747

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:28 am

WIederling wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Super Easy:
repurpose the "Ministry of War" budget. Quite the giving stash. $700b ( $16b should be enough for defense :-)

Not gonna happen. Dismantling the links between defense and Congress would require a complete overhaul of the American political system.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Magog

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:30 am

African Americans being incarcerated for drugs at such high rates is not a legacy of slavery. It’s a legacy of Bill Clinton’s misguided crime bill. A bill that well intended urban African-American advocates wanted very badly. They believed that it would clean up the problems in the inner cities. Sadly, their belief was mistaken.

This article, written by an avowed liberal, is worth a read for those who want to understand history. https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason.com ... ay-out/amp

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 pm

WIederling wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Super Easy:

Yes, the German military that today couldn’t fight its way out of piss-soaked paper bag. I’d be very happy for us to leave NATO and you’d owe us reparations for 74 years of peace.

GF

stratosphere

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:37 pm

seb146 wrote:
slider wrote:
seb146 wrote:

First I think we can pretty much say that reparations are not going to happen it is a pipe dream the Democratic candidates are pimping to the black community to get their vote it is obvious. Second there is really no reason a person of color cannot make it today. They are still given preferences in colleges and most large businesses in hiring. My employer goes above and beyond to hire African Americans a lot are even promoted to Senior management positions whether qualified or not. I will say this again personal responsibility has to count for something. Having multiple kids by multiple fathers will not help you advance in your life goals. Me and my brother both white as the driven snow raised exactly the same I have been gainfully employed all my life I have a college degree and a great job and never in trouble with the law. My brother is a long time heroin addict with a long rap sheet and that is totally on him. It was his personal choice and he is jealous of me thinking that everything I have was just given to me. A common misconception from people who never worked for anything in their life. I know plenty of successful African Americans it is there you just have to want it. This constant push by liberals to convince the blacks that they are still disenfranchised by the white man and that they are somehow owed something will continue to prevent any healing between the races.

slider

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:35 pm

seb146 wrote:
slider wrote:

Why all the hate for the left? The left does not create conditions that suppress minorities. Please give examples. The left foes not encourage children out of wedlock. Please give examples. The left does not block school choice. Please give examples. The Great Society lowered the numbers of people in poverty. Including blacks. Your kids didn't get into the school they wanted? They should have worked harder. It is their fault, not the school's fault.

Minorities in general are doing better in states spending more on education and health care.

The left does not create conditions that suppress minorities?

Progressives have always opposed school choice! It’s absolutely a polarized partisan issue. I don’t know where you get that idea from. One of my favorites moments was from 2009, Obama and the Democrats killed a low-income DC program that would provide for private school tuition (even canceling hundreds of scholarships). Reintroduced in 2011, Obama opposed it. The Dems support Head Start, which has little appreciable benefit, conversely. But way beyond that, you have rent control, minimum wage laws, federal mortgage redlining and the CRA, school zoning, high degree of regulation in business, Davis-Bacon going back to 1931, the War on Drugs, Clinton’s Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, and, of course, the Great Society.

Black illegitimacy rates went from single digits to the high 70s, they’ve traditionally been under or unemployed at higher rates (sidenote: black unemployment currently is lowest ever recorded), yet the left is alienating one of their alleged-ironclad constituencies with their position on illegal immigration—embracing illegals over them. ALL Americans should feel the same way, but it stings African Americans harder.

Democrats voted against every piece of civil rights legislation in Congress from 1866 to 1966.

Democrats opposed the 13th Amendment, freeing the slaves, with only 4 Democrats voting for it.

Democrats voted against the 14th Amendment, granting citizenship to former slaves.

They also voted against the 15th Amendment, giving slaves the right to vote. Not a SINGLE Democrat among 56 in Congress voted for it.

Republicans passed all of the Civil Rights laws of the 1860s — including the Civil Rights Act of 1866and the Reconstruction Act of 1867 following the Civil War.

It was the Democrat Party that passed Jim Crow laws. It was the Democrat party that enacted and made sure of enforcement of Black Civil Codes that maintained segregationist policies. For EVERY single piece of Civil Rights legislation, there have always been more Democrat filibusters against it. Civil Rights Act of 1957, that was Ike, a Republican.

It was Republican appointees such as Earl Warren who wrote the Brown vs Board of Education decision; the Civil Rights Act of 1968, among provisions which banned housing discrimination, penned by Republicans. Nixon wrote the Philadelphia Plan that concocted affirmative action. Reagan signed MLK Day into law.

Conservatives, by definition, have traditionally been more individually focused; it’s that irony that’s driving tons of young blacks from the Democrat party, that treats them as a monolithic voting bloc. And nothing changes those perceptions than economic opportunity. With the lowest black unemployment recorded, it’s opportunity that will continue to dictate some of those trends. Make no mistake, it’s not perfect. And there are powerful cultural issues at play here too. But the left has never been a friend to minorities…they’ve exploited them.

mham001

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:27 pm

LittleFokker wrote:

But that is precisely the attitude of Democrats in things such as Voter ID. They say that it discriminates against blacks who are too inept, or something, to get an official ID. Ask any random black on the street how they feel about that attitude (see Youtube) and they will tell you it is absurd, which it is. It is also quite racist by today's definition of RACISM!.

Then there is the Democratic policies towards the welcoming of illegal immigrants, which has helped decimate the black middle class. Jobs that once were opportunities for blacks are now overrun with fresh off the boat latinos. See the UCLA study on black unemployment in Los Angeles.

I have come around to believe that blacks have indeed been given a bad hand, but it has not been done by eevil Republicans, it has been liberal policies keeping them in the ghettos.