Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BN747

Re: Reparations are being asked from the United States

Mon May 13, 2019 6:50 pm

Did Congress Designate Confederate Soldiers as United States Veterans?
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/confe ... -veterans/
In 1868, President Andrew Johnson pardoned Confederate soldiers, but did not grant them U.S. veteran status. Public Law 85-425 was passed 23 May 1958, entitling the widows of deceased Confederate soldiers (what few were left by 1958) to military pensions:

Apparently, Congress authorized Confederate (traitors against the US) soldiers veteran status and extending benefits to widows. Well that's how you set things straight!

Logical.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

BerenErchamion

Thu May 16, 2019 3:25 am

Cadet985 wrote:

Nobody alive today was a slave in this country, and nobody alive in this country today ever owned a slave.

100% irrelevant, and in fact that argument is so laughably idiotic that it's difficult to believe that anyone would seriously make it.

If my great-great-great grandfather stole a ring from your great-great-grandfather, and I inherit it, and I find out that it was stolen, the fact that I'm not the one who stole it doesn't absolve me of my obligation to return it to your family. It's not my fault I have it, but the fact is that regardless it's not rightfully mine.

When it comes to a practice as widespread as slavery, figuring out who gets what from whom is a complicated issue, but the basic principle of reparations is absolutely a legitimate one and "it's hard" is never a good reason to just flat-out refuse to do the right thing.

stratosphere

Fri May 17, 2019 11:32 am

BerenErchamion wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:

Nobody alive today was a slave in this country, and nobody alive in this country today ever owned a slave.

100% irrelevant, and in fact that argument is so laughably idiotic that it's difficult to believe that anyone would seriously make it.

If my great-great-great grandfather stole a ring from your great-great-grandfather, and I inherit it, and I find out that it was stolen, the fact that I'm not the one who stole it doesn't absolve me of my obligation to return it to your family. It's not my fault I have it, but the fact is that regardless it's not rightfully mine.

When it comes to a practice as widespread as slavery, figuring out who gets what from whom is a complicated issue, but the basic principle of reparations is absolutely a legitimate one and "it's hard" is never a good reason to just flat-out refuse to do the right thing.

Get this thru your head.. There will be NO reparations this is just a ploy by the Democratic candidates to pander to the black vote that's it. The blacks need to stop listening to the liberals and progressives in this country who still have them in this victim mindset and that "WHITEY" somehow still owes them a living. The opportunities have never better for blacks in this country. Have there been past injustices to the blacks? Absolutely there have and there has been injustices to others too like the American Indian. I know and am friends with plenty of successful African Americans they have the same traits as anyone else who is successful. They accepted personal responsibility for their actions and outcomes and they instilled that into their children as well. You are never ever going to heal the friction between the races until you stop this mentality of victimization.