gia777
Topic Author

Tiger Woods 15th Major Wins

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:11 pm

I watched the whole tournament today and I thought in the first 9 holes...damn this Italian Guy just playing like a robot, no mistake, made every clutch par saving putts while Tiger didn't, but then out of all the sudden, the golfing god's decided to pick Tiger and somehow ..... Tiger Won the 2019 Master.....I mean this deserved a thread of its own. This win probably is the greatest comeback in the history of golf and world of sports for sure!
Cheers,

GIA777 :coffee:

ltbewr

Re: Tiger Woods 15th Major Wins

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:45 pm

No doubt the win, in one of the biggest 'majors' in golf, in such a long time overcoming physical and mental issues by Tiger Woods was one of the biggest in professional Golf and among the greatest in any individual in sport. When he made that last putt, you could seen the emotions he had kept in check all tournament come out. The crowd was with him, and some of the ones on top faltered in the late holes while he didn't Tiger now has 15t Major wins. He beat out players inspired by his success when they were children and teens. Who would have thunk this?

gia777
Topic Author

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:01 pm

ltbewr wrote:
No doubt the win, in one of the biggest 'majors' in golf, in such a long time overcoming physical and mental issues by Tiger Woods was one of the biggest in professional Golf and among the greatest in any individual in sport. When he made that last putt, you could seen the emotions he had kept in check all tournament come out. The crowd was with him, and some of the ones on top faltered in the late holes while he didn't Tiger now has 15t Major wins. He beat out players inspired by his success when they were children and teens. Who would have thunk this?

Yes, it's unreal and His win just gave me some kind of insight to not ever give up in your life and struggle. One day you will get your chance. His 50' put on 9th just unbelievable and 12th hole by playing it smart right on the middle of the green while others (excuse me 4 of them....jesus .....went into the water....i mean who ever thought 4 top leaders went into the water on the same hole, except tiger :) )
Cheers,

Tugger

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:58 pm

You know, I was impressed for Tiger. Hell of a come back road he has been on.

Congrats to Tiger.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

ER757

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:37 pm

gia777 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Yes, it's unreal and His win just gave me some kind of insight to not ever give up in your life and struggle. One day you will get your chance. His 50' put on 9th just unbelievable and 12th hole by playing it smart right on the middle of the green while others (excuse me 4 of them....jesus .....went into the water....i mean who ever thought 4 top leaders went into the water on the same hole, except tiger :) )

Yes, he played smart while letting everyone else succumb to the pressure of the moment. His years of experience playing there showed and while I've never been a fan of the guy, I tip my hat to him today. Two years ago he looked done - no way he'd ever win another tournament, let alone a major. And now, he slips on the Green Jacket for the fifth time, beating the best in the world. Congrats to Mr. Woods

LittleFokker

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:20 am

The moving up of tee times on Sunday really screwed up my plans for the day, and I ended up not being able to watch on DVR until about 6:30 pm Sunday night. Was hell trying to keep media silence about the results.

The tournament really had a strong whiff of the 1986 Masters about it. You had a really good representation of the current crop of talent battling for the top spot, when an old veteran who had been written off by many that he won't win again made a Sunday back nine charge to end up winning by one. And the reaction to his win was a whole lot different than the reaction to his first win. And like Nicklaus in 86, I think it will be his last hurrah, as Tiger just lacks the consistency and sharpness that he had in his youth to play top level golf regularly. I think his strongest desire to win again in his 40s was so that his kids could see how good he was once they were old enough to appreciate it. Now that he's shown them, I think some of that fire will die away.

gia777 wrote:
damn this Italian Guy just playing like a robot, no mistake, made every clutch par saving putts

That's Francesco Molinari, the reigning Open champ. If you remember that tournament, he played the final 36 holes bogey free on easily the toughest golf course in the Open rota, Carnoustie. Molli in fact had one amazing summer where it seemed like he won wherever he teed up, if not top 5, then followed that up with a 5-0 record in the Ryder Cup.

gia777 wrote:
This win probably is the greatest comeback in the history of golf and world of sports for sure!

Not even golf for sure. Ben Hogan was crippled in a head-on car accident with a bus, had to rehabilitate with 1950s medicine and technology, and not only won the US Open, but 2 other majors later on. And back in those days, the final 2 rounds of the US Open were played back to back on Saturday (Ken Venturi almost died of heat exhaustion when he won at Congressional CC just outside of D.C. when he won in 1964 playing 36 on Saturday). Tiger injured his neck, back, and legs trying to train like a Navy Seal and had multiple periods off return, extended injury timie, return, extended injury return. Just not quite on the same level yet.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:29 pm

gia777 wrote:
This win probably is the greatest comeback in the history of golf and world of sports for sure!

Nope even close to sports greatest comeback. Sports greatest comeback is without doubt Nikki Lauda.

Lauda was seriously injured in a crash at the 1976 German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring during which his Ferrari burst into flames, and he came close to death after inhaling hot toxic fumes and suffering severe burns.

However, he survived and recovered enough to race again just six weeks later at the Italian Grand Prix, where he placed 4th.

trpmb6

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:55 pm

This is the real story. This guy never lost faith in Tiger and it paid out. To the tune of 1.2 million.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gamble ... in-my-life

casinterest

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:04 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
This is the real story. This guy never lost faith in Tiger and it paid out. To the tune of 1.2 million.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gamble ... in-my-life

Favorite quotes :
A man with a mortgage on his house, two student loans and two car loans decided he would take $85,000, which he said was "everything I had that I could afford to lose," and place it on Tiger. Why? "I just thought it was pre-destined for him to win," Adducci explained when reached on the phone on Monday afternoon.

"
"I'm a responsible guy," he said. "My background is finance. I'm going to invest most of it. And we're going to grow it."
Where ever you go, there you are.

DenimAndLeather

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
gia777 wrote:

Nope even close to sports greatest comeback. Sports greatest comeback is without doubt Nikki Lauda.

Lauda was seriously injured in a crash at the 1976 German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring during which his Ferrari burst into flames, and he came close to death after inhaling hot toxic fumes and suffering severe burns.

However, he survived and recovered enough to race again just six weeks later at the Italian Grand Prix, where he placed 4th.

Thee last thing auto racing should ever be called is a “sport”

NIKV69

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm

gia777 wrote:
I watched the whole tournament today and I thought in the first 9 holes...damn this Italian Guy just playing like a robot, no mistake, made every clutch par saving putts while Tiger didn't, but then out of all the sudden, the golfing god's decided to pick Tiger and somehow ..... Tiger Won the 2019 Master.....I mean this deserved a thread of its own. This win probably is the greatest comeback in the history of golf and world of sports for sure!

Not really the best comeback, Ben Hogan was almost killed in a horrific car accident and came back from horrible pain to win. Tiger is the greatest player of all time even if he doesn't catch Jacks' record. Which he won't.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

Aesma

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:50 am

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
gia777 wrote:

Well we're talking about golf aren't we ? How many F1 champions are as old as some golf champions ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DenimAndLeather

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:09 am

Golf is an "activity", it is hardly a sport as well. Why don't professional golfers carry their own clubs, to taxing on the body?

Kiwirob

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 am

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
gia777 wrote:

If motor racing isn’t a sport neither is golf!

Kiwirob

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 am

Aesma wrote:
DenimAndLeather wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Well we're talking about golf aren't we ? How many F1 champions are as old as some golf champions ?

Fangio was 46 when he won his last championship. There’s plenty of retired F1 drivers still competing and winning in sports cars and endurance racing. Valentino Rossi is still competitive and able to win races in MotoGP at 40, he’s currently 2nd in the 2019 championship

DenimAndLeather

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
DenimAndLeather wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

If motor racing isn’t a sport neither is golf!

I wholeheartedly agree.

Aesma

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:32 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Aesma wrote:
DenimAndLeather wrote:

Fangio was 46 when he won his last championship. There’s plenty of retired F1 drivers still competing and winning in sports cars and endurance racing. Valentino Rossi is still competitive and able to win races in MotoGP at 40, he’s currently 2nd in the 2019 championship

The fact you had to look back at the 50's is telling.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:26 am

Aesma wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Aesma wrote:

The fact you had to look back at the 50's is telling.

That's easy to explain, F1 is not an old man's sport, it takes a massive toll on the drivers body,they have to be stupidly fit and strong, an F1 driver will be physically fitter than any golfer ever.

September11

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:03 am

Just wait... He's not done
Airliners.net of the Future

stratclub

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:25 am

Why is Tiger Wood's snoozfest even posted here? Outside of baseball, golf has got to be one of the most boring events on the planet.

cranberrysaus

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:05 pm

stratclub wrote:
Why is Tiger Wood's snoozfest even posted here? Outside of baseball, golf has got to be one of the most boring events on the planet.

Yet you cared enough to comment on it.

ER757

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:56 pm

stratclub wrote:

Then why did you open the thread? You know, different people have different interests - some of us actually like baseball and golf. A lot of people would think this entire site is boring, waste of time, odd, we're all nerds etc. And yet, here we all are...........

gia777
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:37 am

ER757 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Then why did you open the thread? You know, different people have different interests - some of us actually like baseball and golf. A lot of people would think this entire site is boring, waste of time, odd, we're all nerds etc. And yet, here we all are...........

Haha spot on...well for me... baseball is the most boring sports also stuff like curling...cricket.
NHL - NBA 4th quater only - NFL - Golf - italian and english soccer - world cup soccer are my best sports to watch.
Cheers,