seb146
Topic Author

Pop Culture Frenzies You Simply Do Not Care About

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:32 am

Some medieval show is going to be on for the like 27th season or something. Game Of Chess or whatever. Dragons and gratuitous nudity and people falling out castle windows. I have paint I need to watch dry.

I love the hair dresser qween screeching on and on about the previous episode on social media. Especially when someone falls out a castle window in the episode.

And this whole Luke Startrek thing with Yoda the Yurt or whatever in the swamp. Just stop. I don't care.

What pop culture phenomena do you absolutely do not care about?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

SL1200MK2

Re: Pop Culture Frenzies You Simply Do Not Care About

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:00 am

Boba tea, which is really popular here in San Francisco. I can never understand why there is always a very long line in front of every joint. (I’ve also never seen Game of Thrones)

Aeroflot777

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:07 am

Do the Kardashians count?

Francoflier

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:16 am

Just about all of them right now.

They're either all bad or I'm getting old, grumpy and out of touch...
:scratchchin:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:23 am

Anything from Netflix - with the exception of their F1 documentary series.

Also, Rick & Morty. While I liked Dan Harmon's Community, never found myself caring for Rick & Morty that much.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

luckyone

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 am

How about we create an ironic sitcom wherein people go out of their way to tell everyone how much they don’t care about something. Do it well enough, and you could make it just like that show set in New York, Kleinfelter’s I think it was called, that bored me to tears so because it was literally about life’s minutiae.

winginit

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:29 am

I haven't seen a single Avengers movie, but I hear they're quite the moneymakers.

WildcatYXU

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:41 am

Top level sport of any kind. I personally don't see a point in watching somebody else doing it.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

seb146
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:27 am

I don't think Kardashian's are as popular as they think they are. I think it is more they have name recognition and social media following probably because of their name. I have not seen Rick & Morty for a long time. I want to break things when someone talks about Szechuan sauce but, otherwise, I get it.

Boba offends me. I worked with a guy who had to get a boba every Friday after work. I had one. I was not impressed. The squishy things. They bother me.

seb146
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:30 am

WildcatYXU wrote:
Top level sport of any kind. I personally don't see a point in watching somebody else doing it.

I don't care for baseball. I follow the playoffs. It is not so much about watching one person or a few people. It is a point of civic pride. I am into the NBA post season right now because both Golden State and Portland are both in it. I grew up with Blazermania and our ex-neighbor is so obsessed with the Warriors. I know what you are saying but team sports is deeper than that. I have to explain it to my mom every year, so I get what you are saying.

Kno

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:06 am

seb146 wrote:
Some medieval show is going to be on for the like 27th season or something. Game Of Chess or whatever. Dragons and gratuitous nudity and people falling out castle windows. I have paint I need to watch dry.

I love the hair dresser qween screeching on and on about the previous episode on social media. Especially when someone falls out a castle window in the episode.

And this whole Luke Startrek thing with Yoda the Yurt or whatever in the swamp. Just stop. I don't care.

I thought I was the last person on earth who didn’t see any appeal in Game of Thrones. I’m glad I’m not alone.

Braybuddy

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 am

What is Game of Thrones?

Silver1SWA

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:11 am

I once had zero interest in popular shows like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. Watched random episodes here and there, heard all the major spoilers and just couldn’t understand the appeal. Then as they grew in popularity I joined those who didn’t watch and annoyingly made it clear I didn’t watch.

Last summer my wife made me sit down and give Breaking Bad the 3-episode-chance and sure enough I got obsessively hooked. Leading up to this new season of Game of Thrones she convinced me to give it the same chance. I never got fully hooked, bingeing 7 seasons in under 2 months seemed like a chore at times but I do enjoy the show, am glad to be caught up and join in the hype.

Someone mentioned Avengers. I’ve seen maybe 2 of the 40 or whatever Marvel films and I’m simply too far behind to care.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

aerorobnz

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:37 am

Anything to do with the Marvel universe, Game of Thrones, WikiLeaks, Social Activism (inc FB profile activism) and witch hunts, Carbon credits and footprints, Instagram, Twitter, Teslas and other hybrid/Electrics, Apple electronics
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 am

Couldn't give a hoot about Game of Thrones, boba, ramen, or anything of the sort. My fiancee and I did watch all of the Castle Rock miniseries on Netflix last year, and we're doing Our Planet now. Other than that, most everything is very basic and uninteresting. American Horror Story Freak Show and Asylum were quite good when we saw them last year or so. She and I only still have Netflix because we're slowly re-watching both Star Trek TOS and TNG, as they were unavailable where she grew up. The latter holds up incredibly well.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

OzarkD9S

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:

I cannot agree more. If I'm not participating...y'all have fun, I'm outta here.
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

BartSimpson

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:46 pm

It would be faster if I would tell the frenzies that I care about. But then again, I'm at a loss to name even one. It's my way of insurgency against the marketing evil: "If it's a hype, I'm out."

I don't think that I have missed a lot.

einsteinboricua

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Star Trek
Star Wars
Superhero movies (except X-Men franchise)
Sports and all bracket contests (unless it's an international event)
Game of Thrones
Most reality TV shows
Pumpkin Spice Latte and Peppermint Mocha (among other Starbucks coffee frenzies)
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

TSS

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:39 pm

This looks like a good place to dive in:

einsteinboricua wrote:
Star Trek

I loved the original series, liked very much The Next Generation, enjoyed some episodes of Deep Space Nine (Best exchange in the whole series is from DS9- "What kind of sycophant are you?!?" "What kind of sycophant do you want me to be?"), couldn't get into Voyager at all, and have no interest in subsequent series. The movies are a mixed bag with the latest reboots being the worst.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Star Wars

I loved the first three movies, found the first of the prequels to be overwhelmingly "meh" and didn't watch either of the other two, and have no interest in seeing the newest sequels which were roundly panned even by devout Star Wars fans.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Superhero movies (except X-Men franchise)

Agreed in general, but I must admit I will watch any superhero movies with Chris Hemsworth and/or Paul Rudd in them for the beefcake factor and more importantly because they're both very good comic actors who don't take themselves too seriously, and I'll watch Batman movies because the films make that character and his villains even more hilariously one-dimensional than the comic books ever did.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Sports and all bracket contests (unless it's an international event)

Agreed, with one exception- When WGN Chicago introduced what I called the "crotch cam" in the early 1980s that was mounted at about waist-level to the players with which for the first time you got a good, hi-res look at the player's faces and everything else and due to foreshortening the pitcher and batter appeared to be standing right next to each other, I avidly watched an entire season of Chicago Cubs baseball.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Game of Thrones

No-one likes seeing good-looking guys who HAVE NOT been shaved, scrubbed, buffed, and polished into androgyny on TV more than I, but the violence in the series is a bit much, the dragons are over the top, and the addition of zombies to the plot is nothing more than pandering to a current fad.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Most reality TV shows

Agreed.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Pumpkin Spice Latte and Peppermint Mocha (among other Starbucks coffee frenzies)

Agreed. Starbucks' coffee straight up sucks because it tastes bitter and burnt when ordered "black, no sugar". I can only assume Starbucks (over)roasts their coffee that way because what most people order there isn't "coffee" at all but is instead what amounts to a melted ice cream sundae with a teaspoon or two of coffee in it for minimal legitimacy as a "coffee" drink. I don't like any of it no matter which flavor of melted ice cream is used.

aerobnz wrote:
Social Activism (inc FB profile activism) and witch hunts

Agreed. Proof if proof were needed that the whole "Social Justice Warrior" thing has gone too far- Comedian Brad Williams, an achondroplasic dwarf, was called out on social media for use of the term "Dwarf", the medical term for his condition, by someone who is of average height.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

jetblueguy22

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:05 am

I can’t do superhero movies. Don’t know what it is, but I have absolutely no interest in them.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

TWA772LR

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:18 am

Marvel movies (ive only paid to watch like 2 of them, the rest I watched for free on longhaul flights)
Cardi B
Adam Levine (Maroon 5s older stuff is better)
I admit to being a fair weather NBA fan for the Rockets, Spurs, and Thunder

I passively boycott movies these days; everything is either superheroes (last good superhero movie was Dark Knight Rises). In the past 3 years the only movies I've paid to see are the Star Wars films, and the main series ones weren't that great and Solo took time to grow on me; but Rogue One is my hands down favorite SW movie because of the ending.

I dont have an Instagram.

I only made a Pinterest in college because a girl I was interested in convinced me to do so. Haven't done anything with it since. Same with VKontakte and my hot Russian tutor.

And i never got in to the Twilight craze neither.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:19 am

The mostly vapid Top 40....
25 Songs Have Each Played Over 1 Billion Times On Spotify

https://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2019/04 ... otify.html

I haven't intentionally listened to any of these songs:

Ed Sheeran - “Shape of You”
Drake - “One Dance (ft. Wizkid and Kyla)”
The Chainsmokers - “Closer (ft. Halsey)”
Post Malone - “Rockstar (ft. 21 Savage)”
Ed Sheeran - “Thinking Out Loud”
Drake - “God’s Plan”
Major Lazer - “Lean On (ft. DJ Snake & MØ)”
Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee - “Despacito (ft. Justin Bieber)”
Justin Bieber - “Love Yourself”
Camila Cabello - “Havana (ft. Young Thug)”
Justin Bieber - “Sorry”
The Chainsmokers - “Don’t Let Me Down (ft. Daya)”
The Weeknd - “Starboy (ft. Daft Punk)”
Mike Posner - “I Took a Pill in Ibiza” (Seeb Remix)
Dua Lipa - “New Rules”
Ed Sheeran - “Photograph”
James Arthur - “Say You Won’t Let Go”
DJ Snake - “Let Me Love You (ft. Justin Bieber)”
Ed Sheeran - “Perfect”
Kendrick Lamar - “Humble”
The Chainsmokers - “Something Just Like This (ft. Coldplay)”
Lil Uzi Vert - "XO TOUR Llif3"
Sia - “Cheap Thrills”
Major Lazer - “Cold Water (ft. Justin Bieber & MØ)”
Twenty One Pilots - “Stressed Out”
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

KFLLCFII

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 am

Baby shark
"Yanni or Laurel" or whatever the hell it was
"What color is this dress?"
Keyboard pop music
March Madness
"Angus" everything
"Chipotle" everything (foods/flavors, not the restaurant)
Sriracha everything
Everything on ciabatta bread
Kale
Soy
Ariana Grande
I still don't know what Cardi B is...is that a workout?
Bernie Sanders
Beto O'Rourke
I'm quickly losing interest in following Brexit...Either sh!t or get off the pot already.
All "hybrid" vehicles (my truck runs on both fuel AND air, does that count?)
All plug-in vehicles
All autonomous vehicles
All smug hybrid vehicle owners
All smug plug-in vehicle owners
All smug autonomous vehicle owners
All bicyclists playing in automobile traffic (and the silly notion that they should have a "right" to be there)
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

readytotaxi

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:40 am

Braybuddy wrote:
What is Game of Thrones?

Yeah, I had to look that one up???
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

readytotaxi

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am

Aeroflot777 wrote:
Do the Kardashians count?

Trust me, they count for nothing at all. ;)
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:54 am

There is so much to choose from that I wasn't going to bother, but then DIRECTFLT listed ….
"The mostly vapid Top 40....25 Songs Have Each Played Over 1 Billion Times On Spotify"

My pet hate? "ft."

But rather than fight it, I suppose I should embrace the inevitable.
So here are some cracking toons, each one feat. a previously uncredited collaborator/backing singer. Time to set the record straight. :yes:

Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes (ft. David Bowie)
Carly Simon - You're So Vain (ft. Mick Jagger)
Eric Clapton - I shot the Sheriff (ft. Yvonne Elliman)
Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers (ft. Kate Bush)
Electric Six - Danger! High Voltage (ft. Jack White Stripes)
Coldplay - Everglow (ft. Gwyneth Paltrow)

For decades collaborations such as the above were infrequent, and typically went unmentioned. Or were just a footnote.
However, it seems these days nobody can stand up for themselves, and almost 50% of the artists listed in today's top 25 needed someone to hold their hand share the blame.

What next?
Boeing 737MAX (ft CFM International LEAP 1B) ? :duck:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

zakuivcustom

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Zero mention of K-Pop bands like BTS or Blackpink (The latter I've heard of the first time ever just b/c of all the "frenzy" about how they're the first K-pop band to play in Coachella, which itself is another "pop culture" thing that I don't care about. And yes, I've to google the band name)? Actually to this day I still don't get the appeal of K-Pop (It's a bunch of artificial music with all the boy bands having the same hairstyle and all the female groups have members that look identical :duck: :duck: ).

SL1200MK2 wrote:
Boba tea, which is really popular here in San Francisco. I can never understand why there is always a very long line in front of every joint. (I’ve also never seen Game of Thrones)

Boba Tea has been around for years, though. But even in Taiwan there is still frenzy about "new" style Boba Tea once every so often (i.e. Boba Tea with Black Sugar Syrup). Ultimately it's a bunch of artificial ingrediants that are not that great for health anyway.

KFLLCFII wrote:
Bernie Sanders
Beto O'Rourke

What? Bernie? Beto? Pete Buttegieg is the latest thing, come on :white:

But yes, some of the "superfood" I do laugh at. Soy, for example, had been eaten over in East Asia for years. And I do agree about "Sriracha" everything - they ruin food anyway.

Ultimately, I do agree about the superhero movies - how many of those we need in a year anyway? (Some of my coworkers watch each and everyone of those, though, and then come to work next day just to discuss how good or totally awful that movie is).

Kno

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:49 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The mostly vapid Top 40....
25 Songs Have Each Played Over 1 Billion Times On Spotify

https://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2019/04 ... otify.html

I haven't intentionally listened to any of these songs:

Ed Sheeran - “Shape of You”
Drake - “One Dance (ft. Wizkid and Kyla)”
The Chainsmokers - “Closer (ft. Halsey)”
Post Malone - “Rockstar (ft. 21 Savage)”
Ed Sheeran - “Thinking Out Loud”
Drake - “God’s Plan”
Major Lazer - “Lean On (ft. DJ Snake & MØ)”
Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee - “Despacito (ft. Justin Bieber)”
Justin Bieber - “Love Yourself”
Camila Cabello - “Havana (ft. Young Thug)”
Justin Bieber - “Sorry”
The Chainsmokers - “Don’t Let Me Down (ft. Daya)”
The Weeknd - “Starboy (ft. Daft Punk)”
Mike Posner - “I Took a Pill in Ibiza” (Seeb Remix)
Dua Lipa - “New Rules”
Ed Sheeran - “Photograph”
James Arthur - “Say You Won’t Let Go”
DJ Snake - “Let Me Love You (ft. Justin Bieber)”
Ed Sheeran - “Perfect”
Kendrick Lamar - “Humble”
The Chainsmokers - “Something Just Like This (ft. Coldplay)”
Lil Uzi Vert - "XO TOUR Llif3"
Sia - “Cheap Thrills”
Major Lazer - “Cold Water (ft. Justin Bieber & MØ)”
Twenty One Pilots - “Stressed Out”

Wow, I know almost all of those songs. Almost all of them are terrible.

ER757

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:37 pm

TSS - your description of Starbucks is so spot on it's like you read my mind! I could not agree more - the stuff is wretched. I simply cannot figure out what so many people find enjoyable about it.

I've never seen an episode of Game of Thrones even though I have HBO. The genre doesn't interest me. And I cannot for the life of me imagine watching any "reality" TV show. I don't give a crap about some quasi-celebrity family and how they live their lives.....I just don't get the attraction. Maybe people living vicariously through voyeurism or something

ChrisKen

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
What is Game of Thrones?

A variation of Musical chairs held in a bathroom showroom :hyper:

BlueberryWheats

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm

The use of the word "snowflake".

It's everywhere, it's annoying and seems to be a cop-out remark when you don't have a real come back. Seems to be much more of a United States thing though.

T18

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Odd that no one has mention the facebook. Don't understand why everyone seems to derive worth from it.
Or really anything on TV I'm willing to bet I could name maybe 4 current prime time network shows yet it seems like people still get way too into the stupid singing competitions.
And Fortnite, tried it, had zero fun uninstalled it, no idea why the kids love it.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

trpmb6

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:42 pm

TSS wrote:

einsteinboricua wrote:
Game of Thrones

No-one likes seeing good-looking guys who HAVE NOT been shaved, scrubbed, buffed, and polished into androgyny on TV more than I, but the violence in the series is a bit much, the dragons are over the top, and the addition of zombies to the plot is nothing more than pandering to a current fad.

I meant to post this last week when I saw it and forgot. Last night's episode of GoT reminded me.

The book Game of Thrones was written in 1991. I believe that gets George R R Martin out of the "pandering to a current fad" space.

FWIW, the tv show did a pretty spectacular job of replicating his books into a tv series. Something that is very difficult to do. Of course, the last couple seasons they've now passed him up. Much to the chagrin of his fan base who have been "patiently" waiting years now for the remaining books. (Not that he cares any more, he is now worth in excess of 65 million thanks to HBO)

TSS

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:01 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
TSS wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Game of Thrones

I meant to post this last week when I saw it and forgot. Last night's episode of GoT reminded me.

The book Game of Thrones was written in 1991. I believe that gets George R R Martin out of the "pandering to a current fad" space.

FWIW, the tv show did a pretty spectacular job of replicating his books into a tv series. Something that is very difficult to do. Of course, the last couple seasons they've now passed him up. Much to the chagrin of his fan base who have been "patiently" waiting years now for the remaining books. (Not that he cares any more, he is now worth in excess of 65 million thanks to HBO)

Touche' on my zombie comment. I started reading the first book in the series when it first came out on the recommendation of a friend but was never able to really get into it and didn't finish it. I was not aware that the zombies/White Walkers were a part of the books as well as the TV series; I assumed they were a post-book addition by the show writers. Between the time I posted my comment and now, I've watched an (two, actually) episode of Game of Thrones for the first time.

trpmb6

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 pm

TSS wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
TSS wrote:

Touche' on my zombie comment. I started reading the first book in the series when it first came out on the recommendation of a friend but was never able to really get into it and didn't finish it. I was not aware that the zombies/White Walkers were a part of the books as well as the TV series; I assumed they were a post-book addition by the show writers. Between the time I posted my comment and now, I've watched an (two, actually) episode of Game of Thrones for the first time.

While the show probably takes a few liberties in delivering on the zombie hype, it's definitely integral to the books. In fact the prologue to the first book starts with it, as does the first episode of the show.

Some say the show is a bit nude heavy etc. Perhaps in the early episodes. Mostly in brothels and the like which are almost entirely in line with the book. Only once can I remember a scene that was over the top "ok this is HBO doing their thing"

I've never paid for HBO in my life until about season five of GOT came out. Finally bit the bullet instead of waiting for the Bluerays. Glad I did, got to watch Westworld which is arguably an even better show.

On topic. I hate Baby Shark. A parent with two young kids. Nuff said.

zakuivcustom

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
The use of the word "snowflake".

It's everywhere, it's annoying and seems to be a cop-out remark when you don't have a real come back. Seems to be much more of a United States thing though.

In Chinese-speaking world we use the term "Glass Heart" (玻璃心). Usually applied to Chinese netizens' "outrage" against anything that they deem "speak bad of Chinese" or "speak bad of PRC" in general. Trust me, snowflake-like phenomenon is definitely not just limited to US.

T18 wrote:
Odd that no one has mention the facebook. Don't understand why everyone seems to derive worth from it.

If you think FB is bad, have you look at IG or Youtube "stars" (or "influencer" as they are call)? Those are MUCH worse of a phenomenon IMHO.

- IG selfies involved stepping into some private area, being disruptive, just to take some selfie so that they can get some "likes" anyway. Ok, either that or they just fall down a cliff literally.
- Famous "youtubers" aka just do some ridiculous stunt and again, pissed off everybody by taking "vlog" in private, talk loud, as if they should be the only people around? Yep...those Youtubers.

TSS

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:37 pm

T18 wrote:

Nor do I. When it first got popular, several people told me "It's so great, you have to join!". When I asked "Why?", their universal argument was "You can get in touch with all the people you went to high school with and see how they're doing!", to which I replied "You're gonna have to give me a better reason than that. With very few exceptions I didn't have anything in common with them then and I seriously doubt I would now. The people I did hang out with in high school I've kept in touch with in real life without FaceBook".

DIRECTFLT

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Francoflier wrote:

All of them. Fads are for kids, and for (some) caretakers of kids. I'm neither.

I hated the fads even back in the day. Hula-hoops, bell-bottoms, platform shoes, polyester leisure suits.

:talktothehand: "Get off my lawn !!"
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

TSS

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:02 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

I hated the fads even back in the day. Hoola-hoops, bell-bottoms, platform shoes, polyester suits.

"Get off of my lawn !!"

Ehh…

Hula Hoops are good for building up abdominal strength and definition but it's impossible to be taken seriously while using one.

I'll take bell-bottoms over skinny jeans any day for ease of egress if nothing else, but their propensity for getting caught in bicycle chains was something I certainly didn't miss once straight-leg jeans became popular.

Polyester suits did one great thing in that they made it okay for men to dress in actual colors rather than the 40 ever-so-slightly-different shades of "drab" that had dominated menswear since World War 1. Polyester underwear, however, was definitely a bridge too far.

Airstud

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:45 pm

Francoflier wrote:
I'm getting old, grumpy and out of touch...

Gross.
Pancakes are delicious.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:14 pm

TSS wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

I hated the fads even back in the day. Hoola-hoops, bell-bottoms, platform shoes, polyester suits.

"Get off of my lawn !!"

Ehh…

Hula Hoops are good for building up abdominal strength and definition but it's impossible to be taken seriously while using one.

I'll take bell-bottoms over skinny jeans any day for ease of egress if nothing else, but their propensity for getting caught in bicycle chains was something I certainly didn't miss once straight-leg jeans became popular.

Polyester suits did one great thing in that they made it okay for men to dress in actual colors rather than the 40 ever-so-slightly-different shades of "drab" that had dominated menswear since World War 1. Polyester underwear, however, was definitely a bridge too far.

I prefer Twister for developing abdominal strength.

Had to use a "clip" over my pant legs to keep them from touching the bicycle chain.

Colors...??? That's what tie-dye shirts were for.

TSS

Wed May 01, 2019 10:01 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
TSS wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

"Get off of my lawn !!"

Ehh…

I prefer Twister for developing abdominal strength.

Twister: An introduction to yoga… with friends!

TSS wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Had to use a "clip" over my pant legs to keep them from touching the bicycle chain.

I used the less-sophisticated "big rubber band" method.

TSS wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Colors...??? That's what tie-dye shirts were for.

I certainly would have gone for tie-dyed shirts had I been old enough to choose my own clothes the first time they were popular, but since my Dad was a dyed-in-the-wool biker I instead wore an endless array of T-shirts emblazoned with every imaginable variation of the Harley-Davidson logo. You'd think Dad would have shown a little imagination and at least bought me the occasional T-shirt with a Norton, BSA, or even Triumph logo on it, (In Dad's world, kick-start=good, British bikes=good, electric start=wussy and very, very bad) but nope, Harley-Davidson was it.

cpd

Wed May 01, 2019 12:03 pm

seb146 wrote:

TV. No longer watch it.

Magog

Wed May 01, 2019 12:19 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

I've never paid for HBO in my life until about season five of GOT came out. Finally bit the bullet instead of waiting for the Bluerays. Glad I did, got to watch Westworld which is arguably an even better show.

I thought that season 2 of Westworld was horrible. I’m done with the show.

Magog

Wed May 01, 2019 12:20 pm

cpd wrote:
seb146 wrote:

TV. No longer watch it.

I watch about three hours per week.

1989worstyear

Sun May 05, 2019 4:43 pm

All the Millennial caucazoid wh*re "music" since 1999 (Britney, Christina, etc...).

:vomit: :yuck:
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

YYZatcboy

Sun May 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Sports.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

AM744

Mon May 06, 2019 3:54 am

Facebook and social networks in general. Except for A.net if it can even be considered as such :-)
Games of Thrones
Avengers

Braybuddy

Mon May 06, 2019 7:36 am

When and why did "Fans" morph into "Fanboys" and even "Fangirls"? I just don't get it . . . :scratchchin:

An767

Fri May 10, 2019 3:42 am

Game of Thrones
Bond movies
Avengers
Celebrity cooking shows
Dating shows, married at first sight etc
Kardashians, what do they actually do except make bad porn and have sex changes - butt implants or fake titties
Star Wars
Star Trek
Avengers
Most USA sitcoms, funny for you guys , i find them boring actually

Sure there are more but that will do for a start

AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away