trpmb6

Re: Presidential Tax Return legislation in Washington State

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:28 pm

SteelChair wrote:
He's dumb like a fox.

He knows once the returns are public and the public response is nil, the dems just move on and demand something else. He also knows this is driving them crazy and making them look like idiots. So why not continue to stall, til next week, next month, as long as possible?

Exactly right, as I said in my post earlier.

It's nothing but politics trying to find the next gotcha moment. I mean I get it, I'd do the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

casinterest

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:28 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
He's dumb like a fox.

He knows once the returns are public and the public response is nil, the dems just move on and demand something else. He also knows this is driving them crazy and making them look like idiots. So why not continue to stall, til next week, next month, as long as possible?

Exactly right, as I said in my post earlier.

It's nothing but politics trying to find the next gotcha moment. I mean I get it, I'd do the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

For all honorable and decent people. all of this is just further proof of what a lying coward Trump is.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... completed/

""I'm under a routine audit, and it'll be released, and as soon as the audit is finished it will be released," Trump said at the first presidential debate in September."
Where ever you go, there you are.

Magog

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:32 pm

Is his audit over?

Dutchy

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Magog wrote:
Is his audit over?

Sure hope so for him, after almost 3 years. If not, then it is not a routine investigation, now is it.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Magog

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Magog wrote:
Is his audit over?

Sure hope so for him, after almost 3 years. If not, then it is not a routine investigation, now is it.

I have no idea. I can see an audit of a complicated organization taking a long time. But before calling Trump a hypocrite, it would be nice to know if he’s actually a hypocrite.

cledaybuck

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:42 pm

stratclub wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

I would support an independent organization auditing financial records of presidential candidates. Or even make it a requirement of the IRS to perform that function for all federal office holders and general election candidates. I mean congress requires cabinet nominees to submit their tax forms right? or maybe it's just a financial disclosure form similar to what senators/representatives submit?

What I don't support is releasing things for public consumption. For instance, what if you didn't want your competitor to know how much you're charging for building rents or this or that. Protecting other innocent parties who make payments to you or you made to them. Maybe you don't want someone to know that you were willing to pay Contractor Y 100,000 dollars for a job and Contractor X only got 80,000 in a similar job. I'm not saying of course that you'd find these in his tax return - but of course the next logical step beyond requesting tax returns is all the supporting data that goes into generating it. And I guarantee you that releasing tax forms would not be enough. It's never enough. There will always be some demand to delve deeper. Just like with Mueller. It will never be enough.

If it is so important to keep that information private, don’t run for President of the United States. Nothing is being demanded of him that isn’t expected if every other Presidential candidate in my lifetime. And yes, the Mueller report should be made public too, with as few redactions as legally possible.

The thing is that there is no legal requirement to do so. If you don't like the fact that a candidate didn't release their tax returns, don't vote for them. In 2016 voters did not care about his tax returns and voted for him anyway. With how complicated as the tax codes are, you believe that we should pass legislation just so that the Democrats can go on yet another witch hunt? They don't really care about truth or what the law says, the Democrat's threats of illegal subpoenas after AG Bar's summary of findings was released proves that.

Trump did file a financial disclosure form as required by law, with the Federal Election Commission in July of 2015.
https://www.opensecrets.org/trump/financial-disclosures

Right now, we have a crisis at our southern border that is so bad, the state of Arizona has declared an emergency. Do the Democrats care even though immigration legislation to fix the immigration process could be easily enacted in a short time? No. Trying to launch yet another witch hunt against Trump is more important.

These so called "witch hunts" seem to be finding an awful lot of witches. The democrats tried to fix the immigration process 6 years ago, but it was shot down by republicans.

Dutchy

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Magog wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Magog wrote:
Is his audit over?

I have no idea. I can see an audit of a complicated organization taking a long time. But before calling Trump a hypocrite, it would be nice to know if he’s actually a hypocrite.

True, the IRS won't say anything - probably - and Trump can't be trusted on his words, been caught lying to much, so how will we ever know?

einsteinboricua

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Magog wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Magog wrote:
Is his audit over?

Irrelevant. The IRS has already said an audit does not preclude anyone from making tax returns public.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

hashtagconfused

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:43 pm

doesnt the president and VP have their taxes audited automatically every year? are we saying that the public is going to find some illegal activity that the IRS has not been able to find?

stratclub
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Magog wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

True, the IRS won't say anything - probably - and Trump can't be trusted on his words, been caught lying to much, so how will we ever know?

Only in America. The IRS's job is not to initiate witch hunts on American citizens. It sure is great to bash someone not because there is a crime, but just because of who they are. If you ask most Lefty Lunatics why Trump should be impeached they usually don't have a reason and resort to made up toxic vitriol and name calling.

einsteinboricua

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:05 pm

stratclub wrote:
If you ask most Lefty Lunatics why Trump should be impeached they usually don't have a reason and resort to made up toxic vitriol and name calling.

Oh the irony...on the same line.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

stratclub
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:30 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Magog wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Irrelevant. The IRS has already said an audit does not preclude anyone from making tax returns public.

No. but Trumps lawyers advised against releasing his returns while being audited. And as noted before, releasing his tax returns by law is completely VOLUNTARY so get over it buttercup. So after the TaxGate witch hunt, what do you envision to be the next Lunatic Left hate fueled bogus attack against Trump? Maybe we should just impeach him for embarrassing the current political parties by actually doing the job he was elected to do which is to work for the American people's best interest.

What scares the hell out of many politicians is that there business as usual graft, corruption and lining their pockets with ill gotten cash could be coming to an end. And really, that is the basis for why the Democrats have so much hate for Trump.

SteelChair

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:58 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
stratclub wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
If it is so important to keep that information private, don’t run for President of the United States. Nothing is being demanded of him that isn’t expected if every other Presidential candidate in my lifetime. And yes, the Mueller report should be made public too, with as few redactions as legally possible.

The thing is that there is no legal requirement to do so. If you don't like the fact that a candidate didn't release their tax returns, don't vote for them. In 2016 voters did not care about his tax returns and voted for him anyway. With how complicated as the tax codes are, you believe that we should pass legislation just so that the Democrats can go on yet another witch hunt? They don't really care about truth or what the law says, the Democrat's threats of illegal subpoenas after AG Bar's summary of findings was released proves that.

Trump did file a financial disclosure form as required by law, with the Federal Election Commission in July of 2015.

Right now, we have a crisis at our southern border that is so bad, the state of Arizona has declared an emergency. Do the Democrats care even though immigration legislation to fix the immigration process could be easily enacted in a short time? No. Trying to launch yet another witch hunt against Trump is more important.

These so called "witch hunts" seem to be finding an awful lot of witches. The democrats tried to fix the immigration process 6 years ago, but it was shot down by republicans.

Their fix was amnesty. Thats not a fix , thats surrender. They need an unending supply of poor people to "help."

SteelChair

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:01 pm

Once again, why is this even an issue? Can anyone provide a solid reason why the returns are SOO important?

SteelChair

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:03 pm

What we really need are audits of memebers of Congress who make a couple hundred grand a year yet accumulate wealth in the 10s of milions.

cledaybuck

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:25 pm

SteelChair wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Their fix was amnesty. Thats not a fix , thats surrender. They need an unending supply of poor people to "help."
The bill would have put huge resources into securing the southern border and made large changes to the legal immigration system.

Tugger

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:27 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Once again, why is this even an issue? Can anyone provide a solid reason why the returns are SOO important?

You answered your own question:
SteelChair wrote:
What we really need are audits of memebers of Congress who make a couple hundred grand a year yet accumulate wealth in the 10s of milions.

It should, needs to be a standard for all those that serve at the top. A very good suggestion by you. Good to know you support auditing and REQUIRING such of the president and the leaders in the congress.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

SteelChair

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Tugger wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

SteelChair wrote:

It should, needs to be a standard for all those that serve at the top. A very good suggestion by you. Good to know you support auditing and REQUIRING such of the president and the leaders in the congress.

Tugg

Wrong twice. A bad dodge on answering the question, and I didn't say the President, just congress.

Can you provide a reason why this President should be required to release his returns?

SteelChair

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:37 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:

The bill would have put huge resources into securing the southern border and made large changes to the legal immigration system.

Like the bills that became laws in the 80s? It was supposed to be fixed then.

Its interesting to see the comments of democrats in the 60s-80s WRT illegal immigrantion. What changed?

Tugger

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:55 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Tugger wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

SteelChair wrote:

Tugg

Wrong twice. A bad dodge on answering the question, and I didn't say the President, just congress.

Can you provide a reason why this President should be required to release his returns?

I know what you said, and as you note, it is a bad dodge. It would need to be applied evenly across the power controlling the nation. I don't see how you can advocate for only the congress and not also the president without it being a dodge of some kind. Hell do the same for the USSC. All three branches.
As to why he should I can only point to the fact that Trump many times stated he would release his tax returns. And I believe he should honor that and the tradition that it has become.

As to being required to do so, you are also advocating for a requirement for an audit requirement. It is completely voluntary now.
(By the way, I was never one who said he "must" release his returns. Just arguing against those that suddenly flipped on the standard practice they supported for years and that for some reason for Trump it didn't matter. He made a number of commitments to do so and so he should be held to that and do so. That he doesn't is just one more thing that to me shows what a poor president he is and continues to be.)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Tugger

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:56 pm

SteelChair wrote:

Which bills? (This though completely off topic)

Tugg

SteelChair

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Tugger wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

Which bills? (This though completely off topic)

Tugg

Look it up, its easy to find.

As are the comments by dems about illegal immigration.....that they have changed 180 degrees on.

bennett123

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 pm

SteelChair

Perhaps you can explain why release of Tax Returns for Congress should be required, but not for the President.

cledaybuck

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:27 pm

bennett123 wrote:
SteelChair

Perhaps you can explain why release of Tax Returns for Congress should be required, but not for the President.

Oh, oh, I know, I know.

DL717

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:29 am

stratclub wrote:
I'm really at a loss with this. Weaponing the IRS at a state level me thinks. Read the story below and post back with your opinion. Let's not turn this into a Trump bashing thread.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/washingto ... 41887.html

The Washington state Senate passed legislation on March 12 that would block President Donald Trump from the state ballot in the 2020 presidential election unless he releases his tax returns.

Washington state senators voted 28-21 to advance the bill to the state’s House of Representatives, according to CBS News. The legislation would require candidates in the 2020 election to release five years of tax returns in order to appear on primary or general election ballots. The bill also directs Washington’s secretary of state to make the returns public.

The move is specifically targeting Trump, according to its sponsor, State Sen. Patty Kuderer (D). Trump exercised a legal right to keep his tax returns private during the 2016 election.

“Although releasing tax returns has been the norm for about the last 40 years in presidential elections, unfortunately, we’ve seen that norm broken,” Kuderer said, according to CBS News. She confirmed later that she was referring to Trump in the statement.

“It’s become part of the vetting process,” Kuderer said.

Presidents usually release their tax returns either before the election or after winning. Trump explained that his returns cannot be released since they are being audited.

Every American citizen has a right to keep his or her tax returns private. Returns can only be released with approval from the commissioner of the IRS.

The Washington state bill would likely be challenged in court if it becomes law. Republicans have said that any attempt to force Trump to release his tax returns would be unlawful.

Talk about a quick way to end up at SCOTUS getting your ass handed to you.

I don’t give a shit about anyone’s taxes. By her own admission, no one gave a shit until 40 years ago either. None of my business and non of anyone else either. The whole release your taxes bullshit is just an opportunity for mudslinging, which at this point is tired and worn out. Maybe people should focus on important things instead.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

stratclub
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:25 am

DL717 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
I'm really at a loss with this. Weaponing the IRS at a state level me thinks. Read the story below and post back with your opinion. Let's not turn this into a Trump bashing thread.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/washingto ... 41887.html

The Washington state Senate passed legislation on March 12 that would block President Donald Trump from the state ballot in the 2020 presidential election unless he releases his tax returns.

Washington state senators voted 28-21 to advance the bill to the state’s House of Representatives, according to CBS News. The legislation would require candidates in the 2020 election to release five years of tax returns in order to appear on primary or general election ballots. The bill also directs Washington’s secretary of state to make the returns public.

The move is specifically targeting Trump, according to its sponsor, State Sen. Patty Kuderer (D). Trump exercised a legal right to keep his tax returns private during the 2016 election.

“Although releasing tax returns has been the norm for about the last 40 years in presidential elections, unfortunately, we’ve seen that norm broken,” Kuderer said, according to CBS News. She confirmed later that she was referring to Trump in the statement.

“It’s become part of the vetting process,” Kuderer said.

Presidents usually release their tax returns either before the election or after winning. Trump explained that his returns cannot be released since they are being audited.

Every American citizen has a right to keep his or her tax returns private. Returns can only be released with approval from the commissioner of the IRS.

The Washington state bill would likely be challenged in court if it becomes law. Republicans have said that any attempt to force Trump to release his tax returns would be unlawful.

Talk about a quick way to end up at SCOTUS getting your ass handed to you.

I don’t give a shit about anyone’s taxes. By her own admission, no one gave a shit until 40 years ago either. None of my business and non of anyone else either. The whole release your taxes bullshit is just an opportunity for mudslinging, which at this point is tired and worn out. Maybe people should focus on important things instead.

Holly crap!!!! Another voice of reason. If you don't like the fact that someone doesn't want to comprise their private information by releasing their tax returns, don't vote for them. It's just that simple. The only reason the Dems want DJT's tax returns Is to find some nugget to use to sling mud at him. And really even with Trump cleared of all collusion, the hate still goes on.

Welcome to the Demos next sleazy deal called Tax Return Gate. My state has drafted legislation to remove DJT from the states ballot if he doe not produce his tax return. What a slimeball underhanded loser Democratic thing to do. I can't vote for the candidate of my choice because some slimeball Democrat can't try to use DJT's tax return to fabricate a dialog to use against him?

Does anyone know how to start a recall against a state legislator? Seriously, as concerned citizens this type of malicious legislation needs to stop. Most likely this legislation will after spending many years in the courts, be ruled unconstitutional but in the meantime you and me as tax payers will be spending millions of dollars in legal fees because of the morons that passed this legislation.

Dutchy

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:08 am

stratclub wrote:
And really even with Trump cleared of all collusion, the hate still goes on.

Hate? At the end of the day, mr. Trump is unfit to be your President. He is the divider in chief, that is not the way to run a country, surely everyone can agree on that?

blueflyer

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:48 am

SteelChair wrote:

Yes, why indeed? Don't states have the right to organize their presidential elections however they want? How is this state, this law, even an issue?
The legislators of the State of Washington want to see the tax returns of presidential candidates. Not sure it makes sense, but fine. If voters in the state of Washington have an issue with that, they can resolve it at the ballot box... Just like voters nationwide can use a ballot box to send a message about presidential candidates who choose not to release their tax returns...

hashtagconfused wrote:
doesnt the president and VP have their taxes audited automatically every year? are we saying that the public is going to find some illegal activity that the IRS has not been able to find?

I don't think anyone, corporation or individual, has their return audited annually as a matter of routine. Every audit has to be justified on its own.

I don't think the returns would show illegal activities, however I do think they would show his wealth quite doesn't match his ego. We are talking about the businessman who lied to Bloomberg in order to be ranked higher than justified on their list of richest individuals, and who has sued people who claimed he was not as wealthy as he said he was.

At this point, I wish he would release his tax returns, because I think it would be a 5-minute story if he did, and then the world would move on. He would feel humiliated for a while (he should, but for lying, not for being as wealthy as claimed), the left would celebrate his humiliation for a while.... and that'd be it. After everything else he's been given a pass on, I can't imagine this is the lie that will make his base give up on him and search for another candidate. And we could finally stop talking about it!
Inadequate healthcare killing more than illegal immigrants, that's a national emergency
Opioid crisis killing more than illegal immigrants, that's a national emergency
Would-be king who can't figure this out, that's a national emergency

SteelChair

Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:46 pm

bennett123 wrote:
SteelChair

Show me where I ever said that it should not be required of the President if the law requires it. I meant to say, intended to say, think I said, that it is not required of this President at this time. He doesn't have to do it, and the longer he resists the more they focus on it and the more they get off their game. And if/when it finally happens it'll be a non-event and they'll move on to he next manufactured crisis. He is a very wealthy person who pays little to no tax, that is known already. Putting numbers to it won't change anything. If congress wants to pass a law requiring it, and he signs it, then that is different, because it is now a requirement.

He was wealthy before he was elected. How does a congressman live on 200 grand a year for 20 or 30 years in DC (with another residence back home) and end up with a net worth of 10 or 20 million dollars? Thats what I wanna know.